Arguments

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Scribe

It may be funny in some modern context, but it is very unbiblical.

It might be called that in some modern context, with everything-under-the-sun being labeled as 'abuse' these days.

You are using this verse of scripture out of context.

While it is true that the verse illustrates the wisdom of not pushing your wife into contention, in no way is it saying that God commands men to "obey" every whim their wife may have.

A woman who is contentious, as illustrated in that verse, will have her time on Judgment Day if she crosses the line whereby she does not respect/reverence and obey her husband. (She has a choice, too. And, she should choose wisely.)

The verse is not giving women a "free ticket" to make "or else" demands of her husband. God will judge her is she does.

The verse is not giving women 'license' to be contentious; rather, it is saying that it is to be avoided.

The attitude that you are illustrating in your post that I quoted above is not Biblical.
My guess is that she was joking but the scripture that comes to mind for those women who think they can just carry on that way because they are female is the following:
Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands. Prov 14:1
She will soon find herself divorced and her children wanting nothing to do with her.
Fortunately there is deliverance from the toxic raging venting that has plagued her for so long, there is deliverance and a new way of dealing with stress available to her by Putting on the New Man, and the characteristics that come with in in Jesus Christ.

Sep 13, 2018
My guess is that she was joking but the scripture that comes to mind for those women who think they can just carry on that way because they are female is the following:
Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands. Prov 14:1
She will soon find herself divorced and her children wanting nothing to do with her.
Fortunately there is deliverance from the toxic raging venting that has plagued her for so long, there is deliverance and a new way of dealing with stress available to her by Putting on the New Man, and the characteristics that come with in in Jesus Christ.
I am Living that life as we speak... LOL...

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
headphones. lalalala

thats what my dad does. Or turns up the music or radio on the car stereo, so that nobody else can talk.

I am sure some people just tune out or turn up the volume on the tv or just put on loud music.

I hadnt really thought about it, but in church services someone would be speaking and they might even be having some kind of biblical argument, but either people say amen to finish it or it will cut to a song.

Not sure if 'biblical argument' is a thing though some preachers can be like that, will get on soapbox pulpit and rant and then throw in a few scriptures to make their point. Or someone will be praying for way too long, like they are trying to convince God of something and then start repeating themselves.
You might see people surrepritiously checking their watches or quietly hear them groaning. Although groaning in the spirit IS a thing.
The worship team are waiting politely for them to finish so they can get on with their instruments, but if they are going on for too long someone with a guitar or on piano will start playing and that will be the cue for everyone to start singing.

Yes Lord Yes Lord Yes Lord Yes Yes Lord.

K

Kim82

Maybe this is some of the trouble in the flesh Paul was warning them about?
Well oh yes, once you've got a contentious woman on your hands, you do have trouble in the flesh.

K

Kim82

headphones. lalalala

thats what my dad does. Or turns up the music or radio on the car stereo, so that nobody else can talk.

I am sure some people just tune out or turn up the volume on the tv or just put on loud music.

I hadnt really thought about it, but in church services someone would be speaking and they might even be having some kind of biblical argument, but either people say amen to finish it or it will cut to a song.

Not sure if 'biblical argument' is a thing though some preachers can be like that, will get on soapbox pulpit and rant and then throw in a few scriptures to make their point. Or someone will be praying for way too long, like they are trying to convince God of something and then start repeating themselves.
You might see people surrepritiously checking their watches or quietly hear them groaning. Although groaning in the spirit IS a thing.
The worship team are waiting politely for them to finish so they can get on with their instruments, but if they are going on for too long someone with a guitar or on piano will start playing and that will be the cue for everyone to start singing.

Yes Lord Yes Lord Yes Lord Yes Yes Lord.
Its just like on the award shows, when the person goes up to accept their award and their acceptance speech is too long. They'll play music to cut them off, or they'll just turn their microphone off.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
The wife gets the last word in any argument and anything the husband says after that is the beginning of a new argument. :giggle:

I would rather be happy than to hurt my wife in trying to prove she is wrong. As I have stated before, the best way as a husband to avoid arguments is to nod you head 'yes' as if you are listening and say that you're sorry once a day. I think that my wife is catching on to my routine though. I believe I am in need of new material.

Sep 13, 2018
I would rather be happy than to hurt my wife in trying to prove she is wrong. As I have stated before, the best way as a husband to avoid arguments is to nod you head 'yes' as if you are listening and say that you're sorry once a day. I think that my wife is catching on to my routine though. I believe I am in need of new material.
I agree, dealing with a spouse is an entirely different arena! lol...

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Well if you were wrong about her catching on, posting it on the forum removed any doubt. She sure knows now. :p

(And all the husbands of the other women on this forum sure appreciate you giving it away too.)

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
bad 70's catchphrase was 'love means never having to say you are sorry'
um...yes it does. Unless you are dying of leukemia in a melodramatic movie.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I know the last line to use for an argument with a conspiracy nut... er, conspiracy theorist.

argument_victory.png

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
Years ago there was a radio show host who suggested the "cheerful and clueless" method. If you are dealing with someone who is quick to anger and is usually looking for an argument, this works rather well. As they start you smile and let them know they are so funny. They will escalate until they realize that you don't get what they are saying. Their defences drop because they see that there is no point in engaging with you as you just smile and don't even get that they are being insulting.
I must admit it is fun when someone thinks they have said something caustic and you still smile at them and say, "You are so funny". The blank stare you get is priceless.
I love a good discussion with people who are not threatened by sharing ideas and examining them but some people's issues don't allow them to do this. I will admit that I have done the "cheerful and clueless" method, smiling and being oblivious, chatting about unrelated bits of minutia, and things stop. I once interrupted someone in mid rant, and asked them which is better, mashed potatoes or baked? I've never seen such a bewildered look. What was a blistering attack on a neighbour ended up in an agreement that cheesy scalloped potatoes were better than soupy scalloped potatoes.
Cheerful and clueless is a handy tool if needed.