As a Christian, is it really so wrong to want to stay away from people?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 28, 2016
if you desire to be 'away' from 'people in general', then WHY are you posting here and asking for their 'input'???
it seems like a 'contradiction';
(you say that you want to be 'alone', yet here you are in a world-wide forum asking for validation', -
as it is written:
JAMES 1:8.
A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Mk 12:31 Jesus said 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself', there is no other commandment greater than these (loving God first).
It's part of being in the body of Christ, that makes us a whole being. I'd pray sincerely for the Holy Spirit to give you insight on this crucial matter.
Btw 'Love is God'. and He loves you.
I'm in a Bible study and while not desiring to be the most talkative, I certainly chime in when I have something to add:):):).

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Bottom line: I'm content being alone all the time. Might sound strange or unusual to some people, but I really am happy living this way. I enjoy my privacy and time to myself very much. Some people fear being alone. I fear being around people. Some people feel happiest and most comfortable when they're around others. I feel happiest and most comfortable being at home where there's no one around. And if I'm happy with my lifestyle....why should you try to tell me any different? Give me a good reason why.
Hello Going_Nowhere (that seems an unusual name for a Christian, but I get it ;)), it's true that God makes us all unique, to fulfill different purposes, both in secular and (for Christians) in sacred life/in the body, so what do you believe that God's purpose was in leaving you here after He saved you? IOW, what "good works" do you believe that He's called you to do as a result of being made, "His workmanship" .. Ephesians 2:10:unsure:(those were both meant as a rhetorical questions, BTW)

We're not all called to be evangelists or apologists, but all of us are called to be His witnesses, both for the sake of others AND for our sake too .. e.g. Isaiah 43:10.

Interestingly, I have a similar problem to yours, even though I am an extreme extrovert. While I LOVE being with/talking to people in person, and the more the merrier, in fact, I hate being a killjoy, because I am also a people-pleaser (which is a horrible thing for a Christian to be :oops:). Therefore, sharing my faith is hard for me, because I've found that it often results in anything but people being pleased with me.

So, I try to remember that God saved me for a purpose, which helps motivate me to do things that I know I need to do, but that I also find inherently uncomfortable (praying helps a lot too (y)(y)). One thing that helps me with my particular problem is to join with a group (like a prison ministry), or even just another person when I witness, so maybe you could look for ways to lessen the problems that your introversion creates for you, so that you can be a more effective member of the body of Christ?

There are, for instance, many tasks within the body of Christ that you could do as a loner that others, like me, would hate, so maybe you should ask your pastor how you can be helpful with those kind of tasks?

As for witnessing, perhaps you could just do so online right now from home (or in a very private setting one on one)? It also seems like you would be a great prayer warrior :)

Always pray and ask the Lord for His help and directions.

God bless you!

~Deut
p.s. - since we are talking about witnessing, here is my favorite quote about it.

Spurgeon quote-if-sinners-be-damned-at-least-let-them-leap-to-hell-over-our-bodies-if-they-wil...jpg

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
I think the only thing is that when we live totally alone, we can’t witness to people that way. We can’t invest in people when we’re not around them.

And as you said I have no idea what you’ve gone through or what things have happened in life to cause this, but that’s all I can think of really. I know I like alone time and need to recharge, but I know that God Himself said it wasn’t good for man to be alone.

Going_Nowhere

Nov 10, 2019
To answer the question of why I come here if I'm so serious about avoiding people....

I come here because it's something fun to do and it passes the time. I don't really come here looking to chat with people or make friends. This is just a nice forum. And one that I don't mind participating in....at least for now.

You're not necessarily looking to make friends or chat when you post on a forum. You're just adding a little bit of your input here and there. Or at least that sums up what I do here.

Hope that answers your question. :)

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Our Creator is a G-d of purpose who os working to redeem mankind back to Him, we are guided to redeem the time, for the days are evil, do we really have "time to pass"? I don't recall Jesus ever "passing time", His whole life was lived with purpose, and for us, never for Himself or to entertain Himself.
best wishes

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Ok well you can pass me by then. There are actual REAL people on here, who are christians. We actually DO stuff like, I dont know...PRAY. Minister to others. Heal, edifiy and encourage. Help the poor, orphans and widows. Listen to each other ask God about stuff. Speak out about important issues.

I dont really engage with robots and dont pay any attention to their gibberish. If you just wanna adlib then you might as well just play a mindless video game, or go on reddit, or put comments on youttub. . sorry just being blunt. Not saying forums are not fun, its just some of us are here because spiritual growth is important too. and thats why we have this forum.

It just seems to me maybe church and all this christian stuff is just playing around for you.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I mean as an example say someone on here is posting about something that is happening in their life and needs prayer or a word of encouragement what are you going to do, just think they are baring their soul for your amusement?

Maybe they need to confess something or dont know what to do. Ever thought about helping them?

von1

Apr 22, 2010
Theres no problem with liking to be alone more and not being super social. I just think that its unhealthy and not anyones call to lock themselves up 24/7.
I do think God wants us to at least have a small circle like a few ppl in church to build each other up and grow in God and live out the individual calling he gives
I feel the same way you do,

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
I think being able to be comfortable spending time alone is a blessing. It allows you time to think, to be and to hear. What does being alone do to your spirit? Does it bring you to a place of gratitude and humility for the blessings? Does it make you bitter and undone? The effects of a solitary lifestyle are part of the measure of its health.
One of the cautions of being away from Christian community is that all we know is what we perceive. Only the things we experience influence us. When you gather together you can learn more, you can hear different perspectives and you grow. The other key factor is what is needed from you by others. You are part of the body and you are needed by others. I'm not sure as to your role but you are important.
Myself I am an introvert by nature. I feel drained by groups and fumble over small talk. We moved a lot so I had to learn to cope but it wasn't easy. I cover with listening, which I enjoy, and humour. If you laugh you breath and too many people are so stressed, that they only ever take small breaths. What I'm saying is that our comfort zones may not always be where God needs us. If we give ourselves over to Him, there will be times that are awkward and he may not tell us why. We just have to obey and let him sort it out.
Find the good you can do that works with your personality and also ask God about the places he chooses for you to be. You will know when you are doing the right thing. All the best.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
To be perfectly honest....I don't love people. I don't even like them. I have a negative view or attitude of people in general. That's one reason (not the only reason) why I prefer to be alone. I'm simply not a fan of people. That's just how I feel. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yet here you are on "social" media. Interacting. In fact you had to go out of your way to do so. So obviously there's some inaccuracy in your words.
I was once similar. And still sometimes struggle with the idea. But it's really a false notion. You are a people as well. So either you're afraid of being hurt by others, or think yourself better. And that all the problems that plague others youre exempt from.
It reminds me of that old Twilight Zone episode. The guy wished everyone away, because he found people such a nuisance. And it worked. It didn't take long before he regretted that choice.

Going_Nowhere

Nov 10, 2019
Yet here you are on "social" media. Interacting. In fact you had to go out of your way to do so. So obviously there's some inaccuracy in your words.
Please read post 25 in this thread if you haven't already.

jacob_g

Sep 1, 2019
I like to live like a hermit. Yet the Bible tells me to go go into all the world and preach the Gospel. The irony of life is is I still have to go into the world... which is ALL MY WORLD.... the grocery store, work, gas station, drive-thru.... Shockingly, that is a lot of world to preach the Gospel; in fact even lead people to Messiah! It's amazing how many people , in my different jobs, over the years, God has not just allowed me to witness to but lead to Him. I have had the privilege to give food to many people in the parking lot of my local grocery store, won;t give money, have conversations with them about Jesus and pray with them. I support certain ministries financially that do go places I never will.... But God really opens my small world to me even though I never go anywhere I do not have to.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
The fields are white for harvest but the workers are few, it is great for me to spend time with Him in the prayer closet, John Wimber stated "time in the prayer closet sets you up for the time outside the prayer closet".
I have had that experience where He prepares me in the prayer closet and then He sends me out to certain places according to His direction and will, then the Divine Encounters take place.