Avoiding The Christmas Spirit

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

Kim82

For those of you who don't believe in or celebrate Christmas. What are you doing to avoid being drawn into it?

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
For those of you who don't believe in or celebrate Christmas. What are you doing to avoid being drawn into it?
You don't celebrate the birth of Our Lord and Saviour? Or you just don't celebrate it on 25 December?

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
I did go through a period when I wondered if it was wrong to celebrate Christmas. But I came to the conclusion that the incarnation of Christ is something worth celebrating. If Jesus was never born, how could he ever die for us? Sure, there will always be those who celebrate pagan things at Christmas, but we don't need to follow their ways. Christmas to me is a time to remember Jesus death and resurrection, through his birth and incarnation.

K

Kim82

A response to my topic, at last. I think I had forgotten this one.

No, I don't celebrate Christmas or easter. I try to see them as just another day, though its hard because of the carols and such.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
No, I don't celebrate Christmas or easter. I try to see them as just another day, though its hard because of the carols and such.
Sounds like you're imitating Scrooge, who also found it hard. However Christmas is long gone but Easter is coming up.

1581665873614.png

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019

But don't you think it's a good thing to stop the world so everyone can remember the things God has done for us?

God appointed religious holidays in the Old Testament.

K

Kim82

But don't you think it's a good thing to stop the world so everyone can remember the things God has done for us?
Even people who don't believe in Jesus celebrate Christmas by overeating, drinking, partying and much merry making. They are not remembering what God did.

Its also a time of prosperity for the retailers as people overspend in buying gifts. Some of the people giving gifts don't believe in Jesus neither are they focussing on what He did.

But I'm thinking that every day that go by, not just on Christmas or easter, that we should reflect upon what God did for us.

God appointed religious holidays in the Old Testament.
Yes, but He did not appoint it that we should celebrate Christmas and easter. As far ad I know these were not celebrated in the early church. These activities were adopted from the world.

K

Kim82

Not interested in Valentine's day either.

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
Even people who don't believe in Jesus celebrate Christmas by overeating, drinking, partying and much merry making. They are not remembering what God did.

Its also a time of prosperity for the retailers as people overspend in buying gifts. Some of the people giving gifts don't believe in Jesus neither are they focussing on what He did.
I agree. But isn't it still good to have a reminder for these people? Like the calendar (2020 AD). Many people don't believe in Jesus - but they can't deny that the calendar was based on his birth and life.

But I'm thinking that every day that go by, not just on Christmas or easter, that we should reflect upon what God did for us.
I agree with this.

Yes, but He did not appoint it that we should celebrate Christmas and easter. As far ad I know these were not celebrated in the early church. These activities were adopted from the world.
Isn't Easter essentially the Christian Passover? The Jews had the Passover in the Old Testament, then Jesus is the ultimate Passover lamb, so this is what Christians celebrate every Easter, in the New Testament.

I agree that probably not all the holidays were celebrated in the Early Church, but that's because the Early Church were living them, or being persecuted in-between. For example - the day of Pentecost - we remember this day now, but the early (Early Church) were present when the Holy Spirit came down on them.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Christmas is over with. :rolleyes:

Don't make it come again any sooner than it has to.. lol

December 25th isn't when Jesus was born anyway, so it really IS just another day..

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
Christmas is over with. :rolleyes:

Don't make it come again any sooner than it has to.. lol

December 25th isn't when Jesus was born anyway, so it really IS just another day..
We don't really know that Jesus wasn't born on December 25th. But we do know that Jesus was born, and in my view, this is a fact worth remembering every year. Probably moreso for unbelievers than believers (as I stated, same with the calendar, referencing Anno Domini - In the Year of Our Lord).

As for December 25th not being the date for his birth, it seems strange that the Church would adopt this tradition without some basis in fact. The Feast of the Circumcision is held on January 1st, which is appropriately 8 days after Christmas. Do you believe this date is wrong also? There are also other holy days celebrated throughout the year. To a degree, the accuracy of these will depend on which calendar is used, but I think that they are good reminders for all people, both believers and unbelievers, irrespective of whether the dates are 100% accurate.

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Well you could do the opposite by doing something good for the needy and the miserable on Christmas Day. That's what Scrooge ended up doing. Read The Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.

K

Kim82

Well you could do the opposite by doing something good for the needy and the miserable on Christmas Day
So Scrooge let the needy go hungry from January to November, then fed them in December? That was not lovely of him. Did he not read the following scripture?
James 2:15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, "Go in peace; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it?

Sounds like you're imitating Scrooge
Please do not compare me to that person.

Jesus fed the crowd with fish and bread, just like that. He did not say He would wait until His birthday to feed them.

L

Locoponydirtman

Guess what?

Just because the world does a thing a certain way, does not mean that is the only way to do a thing.

There are many ways to celebrate and for a Christian we can celebrate the gift that God has given us. It doesn't matter what anyone else does. We can do our own unique thing. We can honor God through prayer and Thanksgiving, by reading his word, and singing songs that honor him. We can give to the needy. We can love other people. We can spend that time with family exemplifying Christ to them. Humans are so one dimensional; it would be funny if it weren't so sad.
We are free as long as what we do is by faith and thus honoring to God.

So don't get in a tizzy about this stuff, honor God in what ever you do.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
I thank God every day for His gift of salvation and eternal life with Him. How could a father give his only son to save a miserable sinner like me? I don't know why, but God did.

I look at Christmas two ways,

First it is special time to celebrate the love that God had for me by providing me a savior.

It is also a special time to share the blessings that God has provided me during the past year.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

...also the candy and baked treats.