Awake to Righteousness and Don't Sin

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 9, 2011
You believe the power of your sin is greater than the power of Jesus Christ’s saving grace. Thank God that’s not the case.
I was wondering😐what he meant by “I am a salvation losing worker bee” I wasn’t sure what he meant when I saw the laughing emojis.

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
Seems Paul was writing to Corinth. And awake to righteousness and sin not is a truth and we should all do it. Yet "for some have not the knowledge of God. I speak this to your shame" is also there and before 34 "Be not deceived: “Evil associations corrupt good manners.”

Who was Paul talking to? Sober up/Come back to your senses as you ought/awake. Look at it like someone drunk.. WAKE UP! For some of Corinth had no knowledge of the truth/of God. And this was said to their shame, to help. Context. So yeah we can take parts of this verse and run with it.

Let me be clear :) I am not here to have you make you see my light? Its His word not mine. I let the holy Spirit do what He does best.

Something else caught my eye "being saved". We can then use "have been saved" and go back and forth. But thats not what it means as I understand. We are? <--said before being saved. Whos this? Its the works (so to speak) the 12 were doing everywhere. So I don't see "being saved" as Christians. I can be wrong lol.

I me personally don't get stuck on works or no works saved or lose my salvation. I don't have these questions. I can take what the OP posted (verse) and think about my life and those around me..and WAKE UP! lol The works I do is Christ in me. Its what He started. I don't do anything to keep anything. That parts done. No sin can take away what a GOD had already finished. I am the righteousness of Christ. Its HIM never me. I hunger to do good/righteous works. Because I WANT TO! Yet part of me wants to sin. Sin in this world leads to death. Thats the price.

So I agree.. I wake up to righteousness and don't sin/practice sin. If I do I confess and get up and move on. I got the joy joy joy joy down in my heart down in my heart.. lol just came to mind

Chris1975

Apr 27, 2017
James 4 v3-8 (a must read)

3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures. 4 [d]Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

>this passage is directed to the Church, His called out ones. Those ask but ask amiss because they ask for the wrong things – worldly things. Instead of praying according to the heart of God, for the things which will advance the kingdom on this earth, they pray for things which will advance “Self”. This passage is not addressed to the unbeliever and unregenerate, because they cannot validly ask in such an instance at all.

>God equates this worldly asking to Adultery. Adultery is breaking covenant with God. We are BETHROTHED to God whilst still on this earth, legally married but not yet at the wedding feast. He who has the sanctification process ongoing with the church calls those in pursuit of worldliness adulterers. You cannot be in adultery (or referred to as adulterers) if you are not ALREADY in covenant with the Lord. So we are not talking about unbelievers here.

>Friendship with the world (which is sin) is enmity with God. You are working AGAINST God’s purposes. You have set your face against him, not submitting to his plans but rather carrying out your own. Serving the flesh because it’s the flesh that demands worldly satisfaction.

5 Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, “The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously”?

>Think about that. Think and meditate on this one line of scripture. The Spirit who dwells in us (believers) yearns jealously. Why? Because he doesn’t have all of your heart. You have not submitted yourself to His ways, but are rather in pursuit of your own. This is ALREADY after having given us the Holy Spirit. Think on that.

6 But He gives more grace.

>Thanks be to God that he is patient with us. Because all of us reading this have not given our hearts 100% to God since we have started our walk with Him. We have been led astray in our thoughts and minds, and have occupied our time with worldly pursuits. Therefore come to the realisation of what He is going to say NEXT….

Therefore He says:

“God resists the proud,
But gives grace to the humble.”

>The PROUD Heart will continue to follow in pursuit of SELF

>The Humble heart will REPENT. Acknowledge that we haven’t been fully serving the Lord as we should, humble ourselves and repent of our wayward thinking.

7 Therefore submit to God.

>To His Ways

Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

>Resist the temptations that the devil has authority to temp you with. If you SET YOUR MINDS against the devil and his wiles, He will flee from you. Getting into agreement on the other hand will result in a cosying up. Not what you want.

8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.

>The ball is actually in OUR COURT. It’s not something he will impose on us. We are to draw near to Him. Like the prodigal son who went his way but then had a change of mind and heart, he returned to the Father. And his father came running out to meet him.

Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

>Get with the sanctification process. Stop being lukewarm about these things and seek first the kingdom of God in your life. Stop being adulterers. You have only One Lord. Him you must seek and serve and love.

Chris1975

Apr 27, 2017
2 Thessalonians 2
13 But we are bound to give thanks to God always for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God from the beginning chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth,

Chris1975

Apr 27, 2017
1 Corinthians 10
12 Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall.
13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.

> We are to take heed (not God).
> This is a warning for good reason - its meant to protect us.
> Our decision making is still very much part of the process
> We cannot say to God that we are not responsible for these choices, because the temptation was JUST TOO MUCH.
> Because Jesus came and condemned sin in the flesh, we now, who are His, are set free. We no longer need to serve our old master or the flesh.

Chris1975

Apr 27, 2017
James 1
12 Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. 13 Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone. 14 But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. 15 Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.

> Our lives are a walk of faith. It's not chop shop, fast-food, supersize me kind of religion.
> Trials WILL come our way. We ARE being tested through his life. It HAPPENS to every child of God. It happened to Adam and Eve, Cain, Noah, Abraham, All of the children of Israel who came out of Egypt, Eli, Saul, David, Job, John the Baptist, Jesus, Paul, John ....and YOU too.
> You are to stand firm in the face of trials and temptations.
> Your love and faith WILL be tested.
> To those who ENDURE....To those who OVERCOME......He will grant everlasting life.

Jan 4, 2020
washburn Tn
In essence what a works salvationist is, is someone who by the good works that they DO, believe they can EARN Gods favour and by that favour earn their way into heaven. This is not possible according to the scriptures, because no amount of good works are good enough. Just one sin puts us under the death penalty. No amount of "good" can overcome the singular bad. And all of mankind is born into sin through their Adam nature.

All of mankind is in need of a saviour. This is Jesus Christ. God in the flesh (100% God and 100% man - hypostatic union). He came, lived a PERFECT life on earth, and was crucified. To those who believe in Him, and call upon His name will be saved. This is a free gift of God (His Grace). It is accessed through Faith (belief) and not works. This is called JUSTIFICATION - it is justice satisfied. The only acceptable atonement for sin is the shedding of blood. We once again have peace with God.

But God does not leave us in the horrible state we were in. We immediately start the process of Sanctification (Holy Spirit is given to believers and we are called to walk in the Spirit - led by the Spirit). If we keep our eyes focused on Jesus, and continue in faith, we will be transformed by the renewing of our minds. But the bible warns that we are not to fulfill the lusts of the flesh (our old lifestyle and nature). We have been given GRACE (which is POWER) by which we can put to death all of the misdeeds of the body.

The problem when sharing this last paragraph here, is that many posters here kick against this as WORKS, whereas it is simply the new nature in Christ.

Sanctification is a very important process in our "BEING SAVED". Those who willfully choose the old nature are at risk of Apostasy (falling away from the faith). From which there is no return. So should never be toyed with.

Hope this helps.
I do believe your wrong on that, we are in sin . To me this would be saying I'm a sinner because GOD made me a sinner . Psalm 58:3 T he wicked are estranged from the womb ; they go astray as soon as they be born , speaking lies. They are already speaking here . And they couldn't go astray if they where born in sin . To me we are sinner by chose . But we don't have GODs spirit till we see we need it and ask for it , GOD BLESS as HE sees fit .

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
Its not about that at all (being a scriptural expert), but rather a heart condition. The law is written on the hearts of mankind. Those who are Christs, Awake to Righteousnees and Sin Not.
Pardon me, if I seem to be judgemental, but are you saying that if you belong to Christ (Christ is in you, and you are in him), that you do not sin any more? I realize that his commandment is that we should not sin, but I am guilty of sinning at times.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
To all who declare theemselves a obeying the two Great Laws of Love.........If you obey them, you are "under the law."

Just as all who recognize the rests of the laws hang on those two great laws and do their best to know them by the teaching of Jesus Christ and to do them, for they are placed on our hearts, so please, if you believe you are to follow the two great laws, you are just as under the law as those who wish to be not only saved by grace but also obedient. If you think by being disobedient you are pleasing God or even His children, you are in error.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
1 Corinthians 15:34 Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.

Like usual, the legalist has his focus on the entirely wrong subject.

The legalist thinks that it is his own efforts that causes him to sin not.

The legalist thinks that it is his own efforts that is the cause of his righteousness.

But this is because they don't have the knowledge of God. They don't understand God or what He does for us.

We are Righteous because God makes us that way by faith in Christ.

We sin not by that same faith and righteousness.

We have knowledge of God by that same faith and righteousness.

1 Corinthians 1:30-31
30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

IF you think there are things YOU must do then you take yourself out of Gods Hands and put them into your own. If you had the knowledge of God why in the wide world of sports would you EVER do that?

Romans 4:4-5
4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
When Jesus, Yeshua, declared, "it is finished," He immediately gave up His Spirit.

He had praiyed earnestly for the agony of the cross to be dismissed for Him in the garden, yet leaving it up to the Father entirely, knowing it was a necessary task.

When He said it was finished He was speaking of the mission He came to fulfill, and that agony He had preferred to not have, yet for you, for me, and for all, He did it. He overcame sin, yes, but it is up tho all to believe HIm,.... This is not finished, it is continual….
"It is finished" People have different ideas as to what that statement means. If the scriptures do not seem to harmonize, it means that we are interpreting them wrongly. John 6:39, to me, indicates that Jesus had fulfilled his Father's will, when he said "it is finished", and his Father's will was "that all which he hath given me I SHOULD LOSE NOTHING, but raise it up again at the last day. Finished is not continual. Heb 10:26, For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there is no more sacrifice for sin. John 17:2-4, As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him, And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. I have glorified thee on the earth; I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. Strong's interpretation of "finished"= complete, accomplished, make perfect. Christ's sacrifice was offered to God for God's acceptance, and not to man, for man's acceptance.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
"It is finished" People have different ideas as to what that statement means. If the scriptures do not seem to harmonize, it means that we are interpreting them wrongly. John 6:39, to me, indicates that Jesus had fulfilled his Father's will, when he said "it is finished", and his Father's will was "that all which he hath given me I SHOULD LOSE NOTHING, but raise it up again at the last day. Finished is not continual. Heb 10:26, For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there is no more sacrifice for sin. John 17:2-4, As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him, And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. I have glorified thee on the earth; I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. Strong's interpretation of "finished"= complete, accomplished, make perfect. Christ's sacrifice was offered to God for God's acceptance, and not to man, for man's acceptance.
Yes= Did I say something contrary to this? He completed what He was to do...........and He gave up the Ghost…….His Spirit.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
1 Corinthians 15:34 Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.

Like usual, the legalist has his focus on the entirely wrong subject.

The legalist thinks that it is his own efforts that causes him to sin not.

The legalist thinks that it is his own efforts that is the cause of his righteousness.

But this is because they don't have the knowledge of God. They don't understand God or what He does for us.

We are Righteous because God makes us that way by faith in Christ.

We sin not by that same faith and righteousness.

We have knowledge of God by that same faith and righteousness.

1 Corinthians 1:30-31
30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

IF you think there are things YOU must do then you take yourself out of Gods Hands and put them into your own. If you had the knowledge of God why in the wide world of sports would you EVER do that?

Romans 4:4-5
4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
After Christ paid (past tense, not offer to pay) for our sins on the cross, God looks upon us, (as far as eternal inheritance is concerned), as holy, and without blame, however, we, by natural birth, come into this world as sinners, and do commit sins, even after we are born again. God will chasten us for the sins that we commit, and the sins we commit will separate us from our fellowship with God, until we repent, but will not take away our eternal inheritance.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
After Christ paid (past tense, not offer to pay) for our sins on the cross, God looks upon us, (as far as eternal inheritance is concerned), as holy, and without blame, however, we, by natural birth, come into this world as sinners, and do commit sins, even after we are born again. God will chasten us for the sins that we commit, and the sins we commit will separate us from our fellowship with God, until we repent, but will not take away our eternal inheritance.
I believe it is best put in th ewords of the Psalm, 32;

Psa 32:1 A Psalm of David. Maschil. Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, Whose sin is covered.
Psa 32:2 Blessed is the man unto whom Jehovah imputeth not iniquity, And in whose spirit there is no guile.

The guilt of our sin or transgressions is no longer held against us…………..

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
Yes= Did I say something contrary to this? He completed what He was to do...........and He gave up the Ghost…….His Spirit.
I failed to understand your saying he finished what he came to do, by your quote; "This is not finished, it is continual.........".

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
If you fail to understand He finished His mission here in this age, you simply have failed to understand. It is never too late. As for continual, if you intend to say once we are saved, if we continue in His teaching and the lesson of the gospel then I agree. As for His ontinual need to repeat what He has already acheived for us all, perhaps you have been given this understanding. I cannot speak for God in that regard, only He knows the hearts of man.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
I believe it is best put in th ewords of the Psalm, 32;

Psa 32:1 A Psalm of David. Maschil. Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, Whose sin is covered.
Psa 32:2 Blessed is the man unto whom Jehovah imputeth not iniquity, And in whose spirit there is no guile.

The guilt of our sin or transgressions is no longer held against us…………..
If it is not held against us, then why is our eternal inheritance non effective unless we accept the fact that our sins are not held against us? That idea would make his work on the cross "unfinished" until we accepted him. Jesus's work on the cross is either "finished", or "not finished", Which is it?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
If it is not held against us, then why is our eternal inheritance non effective unless we accept the fact that our sins are not held against us? That idea would make his work on the cross "unfinished" until we accepted him. Jesus's work on the cross is either "finished", or "not finished", Which is it?
Are you questioning the wisdom given David by our Lord? If so, I cannot help you to understand fully.
We are not made perfect until our Father's time. Until then He is working His work in each of us, but this is only after we come to Him in faith, in Jesus, Yeshua. Please to not persist in not understanding my side of this dialogue, for I cannot force you to understand, nor would it be my personal will to do so. It is imparted by God, by His holy Spirit...

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
If you fail to understand He finished His mission here in this age, you simply have failed to understand. It is never too late. As for continual, if you intend to say once we are saved, if we continue in His teaching and the lesson of the gospel then I agree. As for His ontinual need to repeat what He has already acheived for us all, perhaps you have been given this understanding. I cannot speak for God in that regard, only He knows the hearts of man.
If you fail to understand that eternal salvation (deliverance) was accomplished, completed, finished, consummated, perfected, on the cross, then, you have scriptures that contradict each other, and we both know that they do not contradict each other. What you fail to understand, (as I did for most of my life), is the fact that according to the Greek interpretation of salvation, saved, saves, = "a deliverance". We are delivered eternally, and we are delivered several times as we sojourn here in this world.

Failure to understand what deliverance is referenced in the scriptures that use the words saved, salvation, saves, will lead you to believe in eternal deliverance by our good works. The deliverances that we receive here in this world are achieved by our obedience to God's commandments in doing good works. The scriptures teach that there is a salvation of eternal inheritance for us by God's mercy and grace, and that not of man. The scriptures, also, teach us that there is a salvation that we achieve, ourselves, by our obedience in following God's commandments, by our good works. Acts 2:40 is one example of a timely deliverance (salvation), "And with many other words did he testify, and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation". Anytime that the scriptures tell a person to take any kind of action to achieve salvation, that scripture is referencing a deliverance that we can achieve as we sojourn here in this world.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
Are you questioning the wisdom given David by our Lord? If so, I cannot help you to understand fully.
We are not made perfect until our Father's time. Until then He is working His work in each of us, but this is only after we come to Him in faith, in Jesus, Yeshua. Please to not persist in not understanding my side of this dialogue, for I cannot force you to understand, nor would it be my personal will to do so. It is imparted by God, by His holy Spirit...
I am in agreement with your statement that "understanding the scriptures are imparted by God, through his Holy Spirit". We will never be perfect until we are changed, in the twinkling of the eye, when Jesus comes back to gather his elect and take them home to heaven. In a covenant relationship between the Godhead, we are made perfectly fit for heaven, by Jesus's work on the cross, Who secured our place in heaven, however, we participate in sin until the natural death of our bodies.