Babes in christ forum for new believers?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Anyway pray about it remember its a ministry that important to Jesus, dont let satan snatch away someones seed of the gospel.

Maybe call it gospel forum so its quite clear what it is all about.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Only New believers can start threads, but anyone else can post in then. So that way those mature ones can encourage the babes.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Make it so only new believers can post threads there. Somehow.

Just make it a no debate zone. I dont engage in debates on BDF anyway just stick to the threads I want to post in and ignore any that are contentious.

After all you want to be enouraging new believers not debating with them. Just remove anyone trying to start a debate. Im sure after a while they will realise they arent getting anywhere.

Jesus gives us the authority to stomp on snakes and scorpions, so I wouldnt be afraid to stomp out the problem posters. The new believers will thank you for it because its likely they are hearing conflicting and confusing things about salvation. If people are clear about it then they can know for sure they are born again and not imagining it. Or if they arent the way to get there. People need assurance.
What constitutes a new believer? A month? A year? 5 years?
And if it's only new believers then who is going to teach them anything? None of them know anything. What if one is saved baptist and one Pentecostal? Who is there to work through the contradicting theologies? Or explain why they exist? If it's all new believers then these issues will spread and what damage would that cause?
What if only one new believer joins in a months time? Where does he get answers then?
The logistic difficulty of preventing debates is insane. All mods and admins are volunteer only, no pay, and only come on during their personal free time. To prevent this would require 24/7 monitoring of all threads in that section. Not going to happen.

And, ultimately, people should be using churches, not the internet, for their growth as a new believer.
This site is mostly non-denominational and has to provide leniency for opposing denominations. That's why it can't work. Assign someone to that area who's an experienced believer? And when that persons views are known those with opposing views cause an uproar. Maybe some quit.
That's why people should be directed to churches. One view from one source to build a foundation on. Not on a site with multiple views and trying to set standards that can't be defined.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
They would just self identify because they want to know what to do and how to be a christian.

I think its important. I dont think its anything to do with denominations. And you can pray for these new believers to find fellowship and local gatherings near them.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
People have to get out of those silly denom mindsets, sorry. When you are a new believer, all those things are irrelevant. You just want to know how to cultivate a relationship with God and what being a christian is all about.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Lots more people are going online because they cant seem to find anyone in traditinal churches or they just dont know where to go. Maybe thers a language barrier or they just cant get to a church or think its only open on sundays and that they can only talk to someone there or on the phone.

I think there needs to be encourgament for new believers, not so they become dependent online but so they know that theres people from all over the world starting this journey too.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Or you could just do nothing.

Your call. New believer you on your own!

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Lanolin, maybe in miscellaneous you could start a thread directed to new believers. It may not work because you may get resistance and opposition there too, but maybe give it a try. You could do a little encouraging and leave a scripture. You could to it daily or every other day to keep the thread alive. You could encourage seasoned believers to give their encouragement as well.

My thought is...

Keep it simple and light, and keep it hospitable. Keep the focus on nurturing a relationship with God, emphasizing their One on one time with the Lord, and finding a good bible based church or bible study. It might work or you might find snags. It might be worth giving it a try.

This is just a suggestion. In no way, am I pressuring you. Just an idea.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
It is always easier to start with younger people. I think it's an idea that opens up some useful questions about how to engage a new believer but without some type of authority and structure. This site has little and is more of a water cooler...

I feel like it may be an idea to have a mentor role added for certain people that new believers could reach out to via PM for discipleship and instruction.

Finding a mentor at a church is a challenge honestly. So it could work...and depending on how teachable a person is via this method it would be sort of like a penpal (which Paul and Timothy were at times).

I think more than a few here could provide generalized instruction on basic holiness. Like purity, guarding your heart in a fallen world, living out your walk, etc.

It's deeper doctrinal stuff that people disagree on and that would crop up if it were an open forum (or even closed) posts would have to be made and selection would be subjective depending on what someone brings up. Not everyone is a teacher as a clearly defined role.

I'll think on this a bit, throw a few more "2 cents".

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
Lots more people are going online because they cant seem to find anyone in traditinal churches or they just dont know where to go. Maybe thers a language barrier or they just cant get to a church or think its only open on sundays and that they can only talk to someone there or on the phone.

I think there needs to be encourgament for new believers, not so they become dependent online but so they know that theres people from all over the world starting this journey too.
"You have a valid point. So much discord, here and everywhere. Anyone searching for a new life
with Christ shall most likely become discouraged with the endless jargon perpetrated by those
that mean well, but are themselves lost. Many are called, few are chosen is a truth not to be ignored."
'Just a thought, from this side of the glass.'
2350_4e13802c_full - Copy (2) - Copy.jpg Friendly.png

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Sorry I havent followed up on this but feel free to start one I dont want it to be the one starting it cos I havent been here the longest maybe those of you who have mod priveliges, and I will jump in when I can see if someone needs a mentor.

Maybe those that wish to mentor who are good at explaining things and patient can have a special badge or something under their name?

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
We are getting a lot of questions about salvation in the Bible discussion forum. It just seems like the basics are being repeated over and over.

I propose a separate section one with milk for babes and one with meat for mature believers.

It could be called 'what must I do to be saved' or 'babes in christ' or 'new believers' or 'the nursery' or 'milk' for those starting out on their faith journey

And for older or elder believers...a deeper fellowship or more indepth bible discussion for the rest. Could be called 'meat' or something along those lines of having more to chew on.

Yea or nay?
Yea!
With rules applied, maybe a special entry privilege board like the ladies board, and I presume there's a men's. But rules so that it doesn't turn into the contest of theologies and ego's, like in most BDF's. A No Debate Zone, is ideal.
I think the meat believers can handle the rest of the site as is. However, baby Christians I do agree would benefit from a board where they can feel safe to ask questions that the rest of us who have longer time in our relationship with Christ are familiar with.
And a rule! No aggressive contemptuous attitudes. I would say goading but that is so subjective a header that most anything could qualify.
But basically, demonstrate the peace of Christ when those new to Christ's path are seeking wisdom and guidance.

As an aside, it's great to see how this thread about that subject is progressing. Is there a better example as to why such a board would need rules of behavior?

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Yea!
With rules applied, maybe a special entry privilege board like the ladies board, and I presume there's a men's. But rules so that it doesn't turn into the contest of theologies and ego's, like in most BDF's. A No Debate Zone, is ideal.
I think the meat believers can handle the rest of the site as is. However, baby Christians I do agree would benefit from a board where they can feel safe to ask questions that the rest of us who have longer time in our relationship with Christ are familiar with.
And a rule! No aggressive contemptuous attitudes. I would say goading but that is so subjective a header that most anything could qualify.
But basically, demonstrate the peace of Christ when those new to Christ's path are seeking wisdom and guidance.

As an aside, it's great to see how this thread about that subject is progressing. Is there a better example as to why such a board would need rules of behavior?
It would be impossible to regulate such a forum. You can put all the rules in place but that's not going to stop people from doing what people do.
The notion of picking specific people won't work because to do so all people would have to believe the exact same thing (not going to happen). And if you pick a theological group to be the ones to represent that means people in other groups will become outraged and stir up trouble for their view not being represented.
And since there aren't mods on 24/7 any problems that did arise could go on for hours before being dealt with.
Also how is one to be designated a new believer? What qualifies as a new believer? What if a newer believe disagrees with the theology taught here because their church teaches differently? And this causes conflict.
There's a reason this suggestion has not been completed in past requests for it. I've seen this requested numerous times over the years, and yet it still doesn't exist.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
It doesnt have to be regulated. Its just needs to BE THERE. As an option.
If you cant handle it, you dont need to go there!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Just make one. And see what happens. If you aim at nothing, you get nothing.

Same sort of people who just say oh we dont need any kind of sunday school for children. They should just already know stuff. Nuh uh, doesnt work that way.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Also, Bibles in schools worked across all denominations, all you needed to be was christian. The only people who didnt want anything taught were the catholics. Thats the only group that objected. All the other believers were like Yep. We need this. The gospel needs to be heard.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Most New believers dont even GO to any church cos they dont even know which one of the zillions to go to.
Well we can be basic and say any church that teaches the Bible, so that rules out church of scientology. And then just pray that person finds fellowship. Its NOT about promoting your own theolgy its about encouraging new believers.

Why people dont get that and insist its going to be a drama is kinda weird like they never thought back to when they started out. What wet blankets. Dont you want others to grow?

Nov 23, 2021
We are getting a lot of questions about salvation in the Bible discussion forum. It just seems like the basics are being repeated over and over.

I propose a separate section one with milk for babes and one with meat for mature believers.

It could be called 'what must I do to be saved' or 'babes in christ' or 'new believers' or 'the nursery' or 'milk' for those starting out on their faith journey

And for older or elder believers...a deeper fellowship or more indepth bible discussion for the rest. Could be called 'meat' or something along those lines of having more to chew on.

Yea or nay?
I would say yea, ...Because of the mixed audience many new believers are being stuffed with Raw Ribeye. They can't digest it and are easy marks for those looking to proselytize with lengthy wordy meaty posts.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
there could be a posting length limit if new believers forum was actually created.

Most churches have new believers classes or a school where you learn the basics at least.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
well half of my suggestion seemed filled.

I had students at my school library from years 1-13

Obviously year 1s need a dedicated area in the library so as not to disturb the year 13s, why anyone would expect the year 1s to be studying at the level year 13s are is idiotic.