Back-to-School

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

SimpleSheep

School is back in session! Late August always has me thinking of going back to school as I never did finish my degree. Opps! :p:eek: Anyways, I thought it would be fun to have a back-to-school thread on here. You can pretty much talk about anything school related.
What are some memories you have of school?
What were your favorite back-to-school items?
Were you usually excited or nervous about going back?
Is there anything that you experienced that the current generation of students will never get to?

I was usually excited about going back because I enjoyed back-to-school shopping with my mom and little brother. I was really into Lisa Frank items and always got Crayola crayons, markers and colored pencils. I wanted the bigger packs but mom said those were too expensive, so we would stick with the basics. Still, I am grateful that we had what we needed for school every year. I don't know how my mom did it being a single mother. I remember going shopping during tax-free weekend.

I was also excited because I knew I was going to see my friends again. Elementary school was so much fun. I learned to write cursive and I think this is something students nowadays don't know how to do. I was also scared of some of my teachers. They had authority in the classroom and we knew that if we disrespected them, we would get in big trouble.

As I grew older, I liked school less and less because of social anxiety and the pressure of AP classes.

I look forward to reading what ya'll have to say!

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Always looked forward to going to school, getting new notebooks, even raincoats, umbrellas and other supplies..

High school was a bit tough, as i was away from my family.. But i was very blessed going back by distance ed after college, as i had long wanted to enroll and take subjects which i could not in college.. and now Bible school. 'Schooling' continues, always with the looking forward feeling to learn everyday!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
lunch boxes
I always had peanut butter sandwiches which sometimes never got eaten but I always ate my packet of chips. I practically lived on chips (Krispa naturals...they dont make them anymore). On Fridays I would buy my lunch and would have a hot meat pie.

I remember liking homework and handwriting. Primary and intermediate were fun but I didnt like my high school much. High school was boring for me. I guess it was preparing me for the boring world of work in a factory or office, cos thats what it felt like.

I liked covering my books and making title pages. I also liked the library in primary school.
We had OHP over head projectors, and I remember films shown on Thursdays...it was an actual film shown with an actual reel projector. If the film was long they would have to change the reel.

They dont have them anymore most classrooms have big screen tvs now and they would cast it to those or do powerpoints.

I remember getting in trouble in a Bible lesson because I wasnt paying attention.

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
One of my funny memories is I followed my cousin in every grade from 8th on up. He happened to be a genius so if I got a teacher he had, they would assume I was the scholar he was. I was almost the opposite, lol. So instead I made up for it by making the class laugh by falling off my chair or making unusual noises in class then looking around
The fact that from back then, to now being involved in my church ministry, shows the great compassion, longsuffering and mercy the Lord has for us🙌😊, amen!

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Always looked forward to getting a new box of Crayola Crayons. My preference was the 64 count package that came with the built-in sharpener. I always appreciated a brand new eraser too. I made a lot of mistakes.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
lunch boxes
I always had peanut butter sandwiches which sometimes never got eaten but I always ate my packet of chips. I practically lived on chips (Krispa naturals...they dont make them anymore). On Fridays I would buy my lunch and would have a hot meat pie.

I remember liking homework and handwriting. Primary and intermediate were fun but I didnt like my high school much. High school was boring for me. I guess it was preparing me for the boring world of work in a factory or office, cos thats what it felt like.

I liked covering my books and making title pages. I also liked the library in primary school.
We had OHP over head projectors, and I remember films shown on Thursdays...it was an actual film shown with an actual reel projector. If the film was long they would have to change the reel.

They dont have them anymore most classrooms have big screen tvs now and they would cast it to those or do powerpoints.

I remember getting in trouble in a Bible lesson because I wasnt paying attention.
In junior high I lived on chips and chocolate milk for lunch.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Oh the memories...
To this day I can't stand peanut butter or bananas...ate them for too many years every day...every single day or I went hungry.
Junior and Senior year I went hungry and instead began to go to the gym to lift weights.
It didn't exactly work out because if you don't eat (as a 97lb weakling) it doesn't matter if you lift weights.... you will remain skinny.

The new Toughskins pants and shirts were always good... never got bell bottoms the whole time they were popular.

But...
Currently here in Nashville TN there's a huge shortage of bus drivers...
Everyone is upset about it too. But no one wants the job or qualifies. (The pay sucks)

G00WZ

May 16, 2014
Elementary school was fun but Highschool was a waste of time. The only thing i cared about in Highschool was my friends, fun, breaking rules, and mostly doing things that we weren't supposed to be doing. I went to the 3rd worst Highschool in California and at our school we had armed security guards and i would regularly have them chasing me around trying to catch me for ditching class. Lol it got to be so bad that we all knew each other on a first name basis and most of them ended up being cool with me. Most of them would leave me alone except for that one dude called "Winston", i hated that dude, he was like Robocop and his sidekick fat security guard buddy
who would never walk but would only ride in the golf cart, i forgot his name but i used to call him "king dee dee dee" because he looked just like him.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
when I get back to school which wont be for another week

I plan to take these items....

two boxes of 12 multicoloured crystal mud Slime!
I also might take my guitar again
and my paper shredder (which doesnt really work, but one girl requested it...I think she was the one who jammed it up in the first place)

I look forward to going back, though, one thing I dont look forward to is carrots..it seems the only thing they always serve in school lunches is carrots. I dont know why...maybe they are trialling using the carrot stick approach to learning.
sometimes its not always carrot sticks though. Sometimes the carrots are actually shredded.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
when I get back to school which wont be for another week

I plan to take these items....

two boxes of 12 multicoloured crystal mud Slime!
I also might take my guitar again
and my paper shredder (which doesnt really work, but one girl requested it...I think she was the one who jammed it up in the first place)

I look forward to going back, though, one thing I dont look forward to is carrots..it seems the only thing they always serve in school lunches is carrots. I dont know why...maybe they are trialling using the carrot stick approach to learning.
sometimes its not always carrot sticks though. Sometimes the carrots are actually shredded.
It's supply chain issues.

It's feast or famine for certain things...and what items are inexpensive vx expensive are all over the board.
Labor is expensive and hard to come by but so is processed foods.

Raw, whole fruits and vegetables that are machine harvested and processed are cheap...but cut and processed like fruit pies....not so much available or cheap.

Same thing with meat... whole cuts are cheaper than cut and processed.

A whole brisket can be had usually for around $2/lb....but brisket roasts or braising steaks are $5/lb minimum...

That's why the carrots... cheap and machine processed. But it's good and you will have great eyesight after this.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
uh well nobodys going back to school for another week here. Instead they are getting learning packs where they can do activities at home.

Have fun parents!