Baptism and holy spirit

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Well...our Lord bore much more than a little rudeness out of love for us. I can handle a little rudeness or abruptness. It's not like it sheds any of my blood. It doesn't even leave a mark. Besides, I happen to know he's missing most of his teeth as old as he is. He can't hurt you. :p
Who needs teeth, when you can slash someone to pieces with your rapier-like wit?

You kids go on and enjoy your playtime.... next is cookies and then nap-time. :)

7seasrekeyed

Do we have the complete NT? I certainly think we do. The Holy Spirit would seem to confirm the authority of the completed NT.

History is continuing to be written but Gods word transcends history.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

I'm not sure of your response in regards to what I posted

you stated the disciples didn't have the NT and I said but we do

IMO, you are making connections that do not have biblical imperative with regard to what you say about the Jews at the time of Jesus life on earth

IMO...you are coloring off the page

Stunnedbygrace

Nov 12, 2015
Who needs teeth, when you can slash someone to pieces with your rapier-like wit?

You kids go on and enjoy your playtime.... next is cookies and then nap-time. :)
Can you still chew cookies...? :LOL:

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
I still don't think there are that many who think God has done away with tongues...I think it would be more accurate to say that more have a suspicion that tongues might just be earthly languages, not that they think they are gone forever...and in that case, it wouldn't be accurate to say they think tongues have ceased. They would just think tongues are a different thing than you do.
Some on here have explicitly stated that they believe tongues have ceased.

I think another common belief is that while many might think tongues still exist today, it's not for them, or it hasn't been given to them, or they haven't received the "gift", or tongues is not important.

It's important to understand that tongues is not a gift, it's one of the nine manifestations of the gift of the Holy Spirit. Every Christian has the gift of the Holy Spirit, giving him or her the ability to operate the manifestations of that Spirit, something God wants us to do.

Stunnedbygrace

Nov 12, 2015
I just realized something. When I used to really like what someone had to say, but didn't want to further ramp up an escalation, I could secretly rep them. That option is gone...the gift of reps has ceased. They have made us all cessationists...:eek:

Stunnedbygrace

Nov 12, 2015
Some on here have explicitly stated that they believe tongues have ceased.

I think another common belief is that while many might think tongues still exist today, it's not for them, or it hasn't been given to them, or they haven't received the "gift". It's important to understand that tongues is not a gift, it's one of the nine manifestations of the gift of the Holy Spirit. Every Christian has the gift of the Holy Spirit, giving him or her the ability to operate the manifestations of that Spirit.
Well see, once again, it seems you have a problem with what someone else believes rather than the other way around. You think it's important that they agree with you on tongues, and even if they are okay with you believing what you do, you are not okay with them believing what they do. You want to insist that if they will just listen to what you believe about tongues, then they will be able to speak in tongues. And even though they may think it's best for them to leave you alone with God regarding it, you don't want to afford them the same.

I know some get nasty about it but no one is really getting nasty with you in here today. Mostly they all seem to be okay with letting you alone with God regarding it.

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
Well see, once again, it seems you have a problem with what someone else believes rather than the other way around. You think it's important that they agree with you on tongues, and even if they are okay with you believing what you do, you are not okay with them believing what they do. You want to insist that if they will just listen to what you believe about tongues, then they will be able to speak in tongues. And even though they may think it's best for them to leave you alone with God regarding it, you don't want to afford them the same.

I know some get nasty about it but no one is really getting nasty with you in here today. Mostly they all seem to be okay with letting you alone with God regarding it.
Following your line of reasoning, maybe Jesus Christ just should have kept his mouth shut and let people believe whatever they wanted. (And no, I am not comparing myself with Jesus...)

I believe the Bible teaches that God wants people to speak in tongues, and that Christians should want to do it. It is for their benefit, and for the benefit of the church. I will teach what I am convinced is true, and when people think they have reasons why my understanding of these things is mistaken, I try to give biblical explanations for believing what I do.

If nobody wants to hear about it, there's nothing anyone can do about the situation. But I can try.

Sep 4, 2012
I just realized something. When I used to really like what someone had to say, but didn't want to further ramp up an escalation, I could secretly rep them. That option is gone...the gift of reps has ceased. They have made us all cessationists...:eek:
Yea, but new gifts have come - those on ignore ceaseth to exist.(y)

Stunnedbygrace

Nov 12, 2015
Following your line of reasoning, maybe Jesus Christ just should have kept his mouth shut and let people believe whatever they wanted. (And no, I am not comparing myself with Jesus...)

I believe the Bible teaches that God wants people to speak in tongues, and that Christians should want to do it. It is for their benefit, and for the benefit of the church. I will teach what I am convinced is true, and when people think they have reasons why my understanding of these things is mistaken, I try to give biblical explanations for believing what I do.

If nobody wants to hear about it, there's nothing anyone can do about the situation. But I can try.
I've never NOT wanted to speak in tongues. I just never have. And I don't mind hearing about it. And I don't have a problem with you teaching what you think is true. I think it's not good for anyone to insist that they understand how the Spirit works in all instances with all people, but I leave any matters concerning their own growth in humility to them and God, (other than gentle pleas at times.)

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
I've never NOT wanted to speak in tongues. I just never have. And I don't mind hearing about it. And I don't have a problem with you teaching what you think is true. I think it's not good for anyone to insist that they understand how the Spirit works in all instances with all people, but I leave any matters concerning their own growth in humility to them and God, (other than gentle pleas at times.)
Have you ever wanted TO speak in tongues?

Stunnedbygrace

Nov 12, 2015
Have you ever wanted TO speak in tongues?
I have mostly wished for the gift/manifestation of healing. But I wish even more that God will manifest/gift me in whatever way, at whatever given time, that will help others most and will show His glory.

Stunnedbygrace

Nov 12, 2015
I asked Him one time if the reason He didn't seem to give people to heal very often was because we couldn't be trusted with it and would become arrogant or harm ourselves with the gift. He washed over me very strongly at that moment and I sort of took it to be a yes.

shrume

Jun 26, 2017
I have mostly wished for the gift/manifestation of healing. But I wish even more that God will manifest/gift me in whatever way, at whatever given time, that will help others most and will show His glory.
You have the ability. If God gives you revelation to heal someone, you can do it.

(and though we've had this discussion before, the words "gift" and "manifestation" are not synonymous... :) )