BASIS FOR PURGATORY IN THE BIBLE

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
What bible version did you get that out of. There is no word purgatory in that verse.
1 peter 3: 18 -1
18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Seem to me Jesus preach to the disobedent oN the day of Noah

Purgatory catholic version is fire for catholic soul that still have unconfest sin during their life.

So that verse is not about purgatory.

J

jaybird88

I was not aware of that. I wonder if it's because those who own the site believe as such, or those who mod? Either way, one would have to question "how secure their walk in God" is, if a different view threatens them? How insecure just are believers today when we are supposed to be the conquerors, knowing that GREATER is HE that is in us than he that is in the world? And to think, the closer we get to Christ returning, the more our Adversary and his legion will attack us (since they know scripture and know they have little time left). If someone is threatened by doctrine, they will run chicken scared when all hell breaks loose upon them :(
alll doctrines should be tested against scripture. especially today.
Jews in the Hebrew bible had many ups and downs. in the days of Jesus and the 12 Jerusalem was in a fallen away state, at the crusades the church was in a fallen state, at the reformation the church was in a fallen away state. do you see a pattern? yet so many today think we are closer to the Lord than ever, this contradicts biblical history as well as the history of mankind. mankind always takes things to far and we always fall away.

P

pjharrison

20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Seem to me Jesus preach to the disobedent oN the day of Noah
Purgatory catholic version is fire for catholic soul that still have unconfest sin during their life.

So that verse is not about purgatory.
The word purgatory is not in the bible. There is no such thing as purgatory. I was told that in the catholic religion, purgatory is a place were people go when they die to suffer a little while to be cleansed before they go to heaven. There is no purgatory.

jameen

Feb 5, 2018
Manila
As long as you keep believing in Christ all sin is wiped away and not held to your account. It's only when a person stops believing and trusting in Christ that their sin matters in regard to salvation after they die.

There is no need to atone or make up for sin in a place called purgatory that is already cleansed and removed in this life by faith in the blood of Jesus. All believing Christians die blameless and pure before the Lord and have no debt of sin punishment on their account to be dealt with after they die.
Please post a lot of verses to be more convincing.

Do you also agree that if a Christian died with a sin that is done unintentional and not unrepeated then he will go to paradise according to your Protestant belief?

jameen

Feb 5, 2018
Manila
Purgatory is just another example of why there is a deep and wide chasm between Catholicism and Protestantism that makes contact between the two impossible. And it needs to stay that way.
Protestantism was founded because of some corruption of Catholic clergy. even our present Pope acknowledged that there are shortcomings and corruptions in my Church.

The reason he chose the name Francis because St. Francis was the one who rebuilt a church in his place that nearing in ruins - this is a literal church where Catholics worship -

Pope Francis wants to reform the Catholic Church.

but you must acknowledge that some Protestant groups also make religion as their own business using God's words as capital.

they frighten and compel members to give ten percent or risk being cursed by God WTF

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
The word purgatory is not in the bible. There is no such thing as purgatory. I was told that in the catholic religion, purgatory is a place were people go when they die to suffer a little while to be cleansed before they go to heaven. There is no purgatory.
Yep purgatory is not in the bible at all.

R

Ralph-

Please post a lot of verses to be more convincing.
For you to believe in purgatory you have to make the book of Luke a false book of the Bible:

26‘And besides all this, between us and you there is a great chasm fixed, so that those who wish to come over from here to you will not be able, and that none may cross over from there to us.’-Luke 16:26

See it? Nobody can cross over from the place of punishment to the place of life after they die. There is a fixed chasm between the two places that nobody can cross after they die. Nobody.

For you to believe in purgatory you have to put the words of your Catholic Bible over and above the words of Jesus.

Do you also agree that if a Christian died with a sin that is done unintentional and not unrepeated then he will go to paradise according to your Protestant belief?
The Christian will go to paradise because he believes and trusts in the blood of Christ for the forgiveness of sin. So by virtue of his faith in Christ all his sins are wiped away so that there is no debt that has to be paid when he dies.

Mar 28, 2016
Yep, No biblical SUPPORT, twisting verses.

Have you searched the doctrine of necromancy ?

All kinds of support untwisting their necromancy doctrines that they inherited from the apostate Jew .The Catholics simply followed the same kind of upside down order as a law of the fathers. Making the word of God without effect through their oral traditions of men (no faith) as it is written.(sola scriptura)

To begin with they changed the phrase; workers with familiar spirits into a new name called Patron saints, (3500) the foundation of necromancy. Also referred to as the Legion.

It begins below with a warning to us who do trust all things written in the law and the prophets (sola scriptura)

And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead? To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.Isaiah 8:19-20

R

Ralph-

Protestantism was founded because of some corruption of Catholic clergy. even our present Pope acknowledged that there are shortcomings and corruptions in my Church.
But did he acknowledge there are shortcomings and corruptions in his church's doctrine?

...you must acknowledge that some Protestant groups also make religion as their own business using God's words as capital.

they frighten and compel members to give ten percent or risk being cursed by God WTF
I give no more credence to Protestant churches that have false doctrine than I do to the Catholic church and it's false doctrine.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Have you searched the doctrine of necromancy ?

All kinds of support untwisting their necromancy doctrines that they inherited from the apostate Jew .The Catholics simply followed the same kind of upside down order as a law of the fathers. Making the word of God without effect through their oral traditions of men (no faith) as it is written.(sola scriptura)

To begin with they changed the phrase; workers with familiar spirits into a new name called Patron saints, (3500) the foundation of necromancy. Also referred to as the Legion.

It begins below with a warning to us who do trust all things written in the law and the prophets (sola scriptura)

And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead? To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.Isaiah 8:19-20
Thank for your information, I never learn about necromancy, but I Will.

Mar 28, 2016
Thank for your information, I never learn about necromancy, but I Will.

One thing that might help is in the use of the word Hebrew word "darash" which means to seek (necromancy) . It is used both ways in the Isaiah 8 reference. One in the first usage to seek after disembodied workers with familiar spirits which the Catholics have renamed patron saints, the deceptive form And the other reference of seeking our Father in heaven not seen, the true form.

And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead? To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them. Isaiah 8:19-20

This word is the reforming authority, or foundation of Christianity in any generation, every refomation called (sola scriptura)

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
One thing that might help is in the use of the word Hebrew word "darash" which means to seek (necromancy) . It is used both ways in the Isaiah 8 reference. One in the first usage to seek after disembodied workers with familiar spirits which the Catholics have renamed patron saints, the deceptive form And the other reference of seeking our Father in heaven not seen, the true form.

And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead? To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them. Isaiah 8:19-20

This word is the reforming authority, or foundation of Christianity in any generation, every refomation called (sola scriptura)
Yep, I believe saint is Nothing but familier spirit or satan. Some Catholic claim to have communication with saint. I have a friend Said st Joseph help him a Lot.

rlm68

Jul 23, 2018
Yep, I believe saint is Nothing but familier spirit or satan. Some Catholic claim to have communication with saint. I have a friend Said st Joseph help him a Lot.

Yeah, the praying to dead people just gives me chills. How could a reasonably sound mind actually believe this is even possible? With that much gullibility circulating throughout the Catholic churches, I have some ocean front property in the middle of the United States I'd love to sell them!!

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Yeah, the praying to dead people just gives me chills. How could a reasonably sound mind actually believe this is even possible? With that much gullibility circulating throughout the Catholic churches, I have some ocean front property in the middle of the United States I'd love to sell them!!

Exactly, how the spirit of Mary hear billion people pray to her in all the world.

How about thousand pray in mexico, thosand in new York, hundred in London pray in the same time.

Slayer

Jul 23, 2018

The reason he chose the name Francis because St. Francis was the one who rebuilt a church in his place that nearing in ruins - this is a literal church where Catholics worship -

Pope Francis wants to reform the Catholic Church.

but you must acknowledge that some Protestant groups also make religion as their own business using God's words as capital.

Do you know why the Reformers protested against the Roman Catholic Church? Have you ever looked into what they found wrong with your Church? Have you ever studied scripture, and found that the Bible gives us a different message than the Roman Catholic leaders do.

It wouldn't take long to look at why the Protestants protested and then you could make an educated decision about if your Church is a true Christian Church. There is so much literature freely available these days, there's no reason to remain ignorant of all the facts pertaining to the split of the Church into different denominations.

I spent years blindly following in the Catholic Church, until I accepted the challenge to look at the facts and that led me to look deeper into it until I found out the truth behind the Roman Church. It takes courage to step outside the safety zone of trusting men to guide you to heaven, God will judge you on what you did with His Son. We won't be able to blame a Church for leading us down the wrong path.

Every individual is personally responsible and accountable before God, we can't hide behind any religion. God has given us understanding and He expects us to use it wisely and not blindly follow others. Test everything by the scriptures to see if your Church is teaching you the truth.

jameen

Feb 5, 2018
Manila
Since non Catholics have refuted the verses used by my religion to defend the existence of purgatory, Can anyone present a written presentation with Bible verses on the issue why purgatory is not needed in order to purify a soul for a dead Christian who died with a stain of non grievous sin.

jameen

Feb 5, 2018
Manila
Do you know why the Reformers protested against the Roman Catholic Church? Have you ever looked into what they found wrong with your Church? Have you ever studied scripture, and found that the Bible gives us a different message than the Roman Catholic leaders do.

It wouldn't take long to look at why the Protestants protested and then you could make an educated decision about if your Church is a true Christian Church. There is so much literature freely available these days, there's no reason to remain ignorant of all the facts pertaining to the split of the Church into different denominations.

I spent years blindly following in the Catholic Church, until I accepted the challenge to look at the facts and that led me to look deeper into it until I found out the truth behind the Roman Church. It takes courage to step outside the safety zone of trusting men to guide you to heaven, God will judge you on what you did with His Son. We won't be able to blame a Church for leading us down the wrong path.

Every individual is personally responsible and accountable before God, we can't hide behind any religion. God has given us understanding and He expects us to use it wisely and not blindly follow others. Test everything by the scriptures to see if your Church is teaching you the truth.
If you doubt that the Catholic Church is the True Christian Church, then you must acknowledge that either Coptic or Orthodox Church is the true Christian Church.

Because if you believe that the First Century Christian Church never destroyed and it continues, then only the Catholic Church, Orthodox or Coptic Church fits the criteria because their origins can be traced way back First Century A.D. just only choose if you are dubious about the authenticity of the Catholic Church.

It is impossible that Protestant Church is the true Christian Church because:

1. Its existence cannot be traced back from 1st Century A.D.

2. It has lots of churches. Apostle Paul said that the real Christian Church is one body and not many bodies.

3. It also teaches Sola Fide and its against the Christian teachings in the Bible:

1st Corinthians 13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.

What is love in the Bible aside from what Paul presented in First Corinthians Chapter 13?

Romans 13:10 Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Slayer

Jul 23, 2018
Since non Catholics have refuted the verses used by my religion to defend the existence of purgatory, Can anyone present a written presentation with Bible verses on the issue why purgatory is not needed in order to purify a soul for a dead Christian who died with a stain of non grievous sin.
There's nothing in the Bible about a place called purgatory, so we can't present any Bible verses which deal with this subject because it doesn't exist.

The Gospel only speaks about eternal paradise and eternal torment in hell, it simply states that all of those chosen by God for salvation will repent and believe and all of those not chosen by God for salvation will reject the Gospel and not believe it.

Slayer

Jul 23, 2018
If you doubt that the Catholic Church is the True Christian Church, then you must acknowledge that either Coptic or Orthodox Church is the true Christian Church.

Because if you believe that the First Century Christian Church never destroyed and it continues, then only the Catholic Church, Orthodox or Coptic Church fits the criteria because their origins can be traced way back First Century A.D. just only choose if you are dubious about the authenticity of the Catholic Church.

It is impossible that Protestant Church is the true Christian Church because:

1. Its existence cannot be traced back from 1st Century A.D.

2. It has lots of churches. Apostle Paul said that the real Christian Church is one body and not many bodies.

3. It also teaches Sola Fide and its against the Christian teachings in the Bible:

1st Corinthians 13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.

What is love in the Bible aside from what Paul presented in First Corinthians Chapter 13?

Romans 13:10 Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.
God has His people in every denomination and so does Satan, and it's always been this way from the begging.

We can't say our Church is the only true one, that sounds arrogant and proud. You know God doesn't like pride in anyone.

God doesn't judge the individual by the denomination they happen to be worshiping Him in. He judges them by their deeds.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
1. Your religion twist or Lie. For Example corinthians talking about testing your religion say It is clean

Is testing = cleaning? To say testing = cleaning is Lie.

2. The bible say To clean the soul from sin only by believe in Jesus

John 3:16 King James Version (KJV)
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Seem to me your religion do what ever she can to undermine this verse above.