Best Book to Teach HS Students

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 1, 2021
I used to read all the time when I was younger. Unfortunately, being forced to read for school took the fun out of it. I graduated high school a couple of years ago, and of all the books we had to read there were a few that I actually enjoyed.
Frankenstein, the Crucible, Hamlet, anything by Washington Irving, Thoreau. I really enjoyed Iron and Silk, which is about an American English language teacher learning martial arts in China and his experience with the culture. But my favorite novels (I wish we had read these in high school) are Tolkien’s Middle Earth works.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
You're an interesting man. Your list gives me a mixture of jubilation and revulsion :LOL:

I used to read all the time when I was younger. Unfortunately, being forced to read for school took the fun out of it. I graduated high school a couple of years ago, and of all the books we had to read there were a few that I actually enjoyed.
Frankenstein, the Crucible, Hamlet, anything by Washington Irving, Thoreau. I really enjoyed Iron and Silk, which is about an American English language teacher learning martial arts in China and his experience with the culture. But my favorite novels (I wish we had read these in high school) are Tolkien’s Middle Earth works.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
if Lord of the Rings was a set text for high school students it might ruin their enjoyment of it!

ALthough I loved LOTR and did read it in high school becauses of a friends recommendation. I think I got more into it than the Dragons of Pern, that were popular at the time. I also remember Clan of the Cave Bear.

Fantasy and prehistoric romance arent taken seriously enough I reckon.

M

MegMarch

I am teaching The Hobbit to 8th graders right now. (I teach one period of 8th grade but mostly seniors.) I told them to make my classroom look like a hobbit hole. My new life goal.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
sorry what does AP stand for
and what do you mean by Freshman
I kind of figured out HS is High school.

Do you look books up in the OPAC?
Typical High School Grade Designation in US
9th grade - Freshmen
10th grade - Sophomore
11th grade - Junior
12th grade - Senior

Oct 1, 2021
You're an interesting man. Your list gives me a mixture of jubilation and revulsion :LOL:
Ha Ha! I'd be interested to know why, because I had a similar reaction to reading them!

Frankenstein was painful to read because I wanted to jump in there and slap the sense into Frankenstein the whole time. I didn't relate to any of the characters but I had opinions about what they were doing, and none of them were listening to my mental screams of frustration.

I liked the Crucible and Washington Irving because I like the idyllic setting of early colonial America - the close-knit small rural communities placed in the context of dangerous survival, hard work to get it done, and above all the thrill of the unknown frontier. More specifically, I think Irving is hilarious and I liked the main character of the Crucible for his principles.

I liked Thoreau because I like the outdoors and the idea of getting back to nature. Last fall I finally visited Walden Pond and walked around it, but I was sick as a dog the entire time because my stomach had a bad reaction to some wings and hot sauce I had eaten two days before, so I had to keep taking breaks or I would start to feel nauseous. XD We read Ralph Waldo Emerson with Thoreau, but I thought Emerson's worldview/philosophy was completely wrong and self-contradicting in several ways.

I think I enjoyed Iron and Silk more than it probably deserves, but I remember it fondly because it really opened my eyes to other cultures- something I missed in my tiny white town. That was the summer reading assignment heading into my freshman year and attending the county high school was a huge culture shock because (despite my hometown) my county is really diverse in regard to heritage. I also discovered I like the traditional Chinese/Japanese approach of simple and natural living reflected in the culture and architecture. Right now in college I'm sleeping on (what Amazon told me were) tatami floor mats (who wants to deal with a bed?)

I am teaching The Hobbit to 8th graders right now. (I teach one period of 8th grade but mostly seniors.) I told them to make my classroom look like a hobbit hole. My new life goal.
Hobbit/LOTR speaks for itself. I first read the Hobbit in 2nd grade, but my sheltered mind was too narrow to even conceive or imagine a lot of the fantastical elements/ world building that Tolkien created, let alone understand the themes, so I was mostly just confused throughout the entire time. Took another look in 8th grade and was completely absorbed. Perfect grade to read it in my opinion and I think that's awesome about the classroom. I was 100% ready to move into the Shire back then. Though, now I've got my sights set on Heaven.

Anyway, this is not my list of favorite books (except for Tolkien). These are just the books that I enjoyed reading in high school because they got me to react instead of fall asleep or (worse) put it down and never think about it again.

And, sorry if I'm taking the thread off-topic.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I read the Crucible in high school (its a play, not a novel) although it didnt really grab me...it was thought provoking though however, it sure put Christians in a bad light as a bunch of pious hyporcrites.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Or rather...american christians...puritans. There were probably lots of other sects and christians around in those times that werent.

Arthur Miller was Jewish

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
It's well-written but silly Communist propaganda like most of Arthur Miller's work.

I read the Crucible in high school (its a play, not a novel) although it didnt really grab me...it was thought provoking though however, it sure put Christians in a bad light as a bunch of pious hyporcrites.
Or rather...american christians...puritans. There were probably lots of other sects and christians around in those times that werent.

Arthur Miller was Jewish

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
I love Shelley, Irving and Tolkien.

Enjoying my time with Miller and Thoreau will require a cigar and more bourbon than what is Scripturally allowed.

Ha Ha! I'd be interested to know why, because I had a similar reaction to reading them!

Frankenstein was painful to read because I wanted to jump in there and slap the sense into Frankenstein the whole time. I didn't relate to any of the characters but I had opinions about what they were doing, and none of them were listening to my mental screams of frustration.

I liked the Crucible and Washington Irving because I like the idyllic setting of early colonial America - the close-knit small rural communities placed in the context of dangerous survival, hard work to get it done, and above all the thrill of the unknown frontier. More specifically, I think Irving is hilarious and I liked the main character of the Crucible for his principles.

I liked Thoreau because I like the outdoors and the idea of getting back to nature. Last fall I finally visited Walden Pond and walked around it, but I was sick as a dog the entire time because my stomach had a bad reaction to some wings and hot sauce I had eaten two days before, so I had to keep taking breaks or I would start to feel nauseous. XD We read Ralph Waldo Emerson with Thoreau, but I thought Emerson's worldview/philosophy was completely wrong and self-contradicting in several ways.

I think I enjoyed Iron and Silk more than it probably deserves, but I remember it fondly because it really opened my eyes to other cultures- something I missed in my tiny white town. That was the summer reading assignment heading into my freshman year and attending the county high school was a huge culture shock because (despite my hometown) my county is really diverse in regard to heritage. I also discovered I like the traditional Chinese/Japanese approach of simple and natural living reflected in the culture and architecture. Right now in college I'm sleeping on (what Amazon told me were) tatami floor mats (who wants to deal with a bed?)

Hobbit/LOTR speaks for itself. I first read the Hobbit in 2nd grade, but my sheltered mind was too narrow to even conceive or imagine a lot of the fantastical elements/ world building that Tolkien created, let alone understand the themes, so I was mostly just confused throughout the entire time. Took another look in 8th grade and was completely absorbed. Perfect grade to read it in my opinion and I think that's awesome about the classroom. I was 100% ready to move into the Shire back then. Though, now I've got my sights set on Heaven.

Anyway, this is not my list of favorite books (except for Tolkien). These are just the books that I enjoyed reading in high school because they got me to react instead of fall asleep or (worse) put it down and never think about it again.

And, sorry if I'm taking the thread off-topic.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
In high school , it was The Grapes of Wrath and most anything by John Steinbeck considering his books were written about people in Monterey County where I grew up . I also liked To Kill a Mockingbird. A book that I have read a few times lately is Duty: A Father, His Son, and the Man who Won the War. Its about the generation of soldiers and the Enola Gay and Hiroshima. It gave me a look at the events from a different point of view. One of the best books I've read.
I also like John Steinbeck. Cannery Row is my favorite.

I spent two delightful years in Monterey back in the 1970s. It was one of the most beautiful places that I have ever lived.

Aug 20, 2021
Edgar Allan Poe he has got a good short story about Christians.They should avoid the prideful pursuit of death death!

Lizzy

Jan 18, 2018
I also like John Steinbeck. Cannery Row is my favorite.

I spent two delightful years in Monterey back in the 1970s. It was one of the most beautiful places that I have ever lived.
Yes, its an interesting story about lots of people living in the Cannery Row area. It is a beautiful area and I was blessed to hang out on the beaches there and surrounding areas growing up. It is still a gorgeous place and I only go back to visit my family, but I still like all the places i liked as a kid. I'll be going home for Christmas and plan to spend alot of time at the beach and the wharf. Did you know John Steinbeck's family home is a few minutes away in Salinas?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
the Hobbit seems like a good choice for year 9s

also simpler than Lord of the Rings. Which they can then read later.

I dont think people even notice theres hardly any female characters in it. I guess its just one of those books where you dont question how they reproduce...like how there is only one girl smurf in the smurfs.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
the Hobbit seems like a good choice for year 9s

also simpler than Lord of the Rings. Which they can then read later.

I dont think people even notice theres hardly any female characters in it. I guess its just one of those books where you dont question how they reproduce...like how there is only one girl smurf in the smurfs.
Well the Hobbit teaches the morality of the Christian walk.and how we all stray from it.
As well as how when we begin to actually rely upon our faith after severe trials we become much more noble people.
The movie doesn't care about that theme in the book. It destroys it.
But the book is all about our morality and how we deal with those around us.
Of course many people only see the creatures, wizards, elves, dwarves, and dragon...but that doesn't really take away from the central theme of maturing in your Christian walk.

And where that might fly in a private school...the public school system would have a fit if the truth were known and realized.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
although its not a novel I think Silent Spring by Rachel Carson is a great book. Readable and still stands up today. One of those seminal books everyone should read.

Not everyone is really into novels with fictional characters.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I dont think the Hobbit itself teaches
its an adventure story, a quest tale plain and simple. Not really about morality.
But you could put your own interpretation on it if you want.

If you want more christianity, you are better off reading the Narnia books...or the Pilgrims progress.