Bible Editions

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Laish

Jul 31, 2016
I'm open to other versions if they're easier to understand.
I just thought about this . Have you tried an parallel Bible translation? Like a KJV side by side with a NASV or another translation. Some come with translation notes on word usage. This can be helpful too .
I believe you have main point. That is to read the scriptures. It is sad to say most of the professing Christians today have not read it . No matter what translation they have . Always pray first let God the Holy Spirit guide you .
Blessings
Bill

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Good to know.

Consider this. Every new Bible translation advertises itself as the one where you are able to finally 'understand' the Bible. None of which are true. Understanding only comes as the Lord reveals to you things in the Bible. It is a lifelong effort.

I believe you have the best in the KJV. You can build on your understanding as you study it and as God reveals His Word to you. A KJV study Bible is helpful also.

Quantrill
Evidence for the bolded statement, please. You did say, "Every". Bring it on.

Quantrill

Sep 20, 2018
Evidence for the bolded statement, please. You did say, "Every". Bring it on.
That is always the advertisement with a new translation. If you don't want to believe it, don't. I am not going to go and look up all advertisements of all translations.

"Bring it on". What is that? Are you supposed to be tough man?

Quantrill

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
That is always the advertisement with a new translation. If you don't want to believe it, don't. I am not going to go and look up all advertisements of all translations.

"Bring it on". What is that? Are you supposed to be tough man?

Quantrill
Yawn. So quick to make assertions but unwilling to defend them. Go and look up "burden of proof reversal".

Merida

Oct 26, 2018
KJV
ESV
NIV
NKJV
CSB
HCSB
ISV
CEV
MEB
NET
MSG

@Merida all of these are versions of the Bible.
Wow, there are so many. I wish Christian bookstores would provide a brief explanation of the differences between them, so that when people are looking to purchase a Bible for study, or for a gift, it would be more clear to newbs like me.

ToastAndTea

Jul 31, 2018
Hey there Merida
I work in Bible translation :)
Without wishing to become involved in a debate, I would recommend to you the ESV. It's a good solid translation. The KJV is inaccessible and contains some language which we today no longer use. For myself, I use a number of translations and compare them in order to get the best possible meaning from the interpretation. Remember that words are limited in their ability to describe spiritual matters, the inspiration and understanding comes from the Holy Spirit.

ToastAndTea

Jul 31, 2018
Just as an aside, when we do translation, we use a combination of ESV, NIV and Greek and Hebrew manuscripts to try and attain the best possible meaning for a source language term. Sometimes languages don't fit easily into the target language box. Creates a myriad of issues.

Merida

Oct 26, 2018
I just thought about this . Have you tried an parallel Bible translation? Like a KJV side by side with a NASV or another translation. Some come with translation notes on word usage. This can be helpful too .
I believe you have main point. That is to read the scriptures. It is sad to say most of the professing Christians today have not read it . No matter what translation they have . Always pray first let God the Holy Spirit guide you .
Blessings
Bill
Hi Bill,

I haven't tried that, but that's a good idea! :D

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Wow, there are so many. I wish Christian bookstores would provide a brief explanation of the differences between them, so that when people are looking to purchase a Bible for study, or for a gift, it would be more clear to newbs like me.
Try Bible Gateway. You can type in a scripture and then go through a list of translations to see the one you prefer most.
Just avoid versions that are paraphrased and not translations (The Message, The Living Bible, etc)

Merida

Oct 26, 2018
Hey there Merida
I work in Bible translation :)
Without wishing to become involved in a debate, I would recommend to you the ESV. It's a good solid translation. The KJV is inaccessible and contains some language which we today no longer use. For myself, I use a number of translations and compare them in order to get the best possible meaning from the interpretation. Remember that words are limited in their ability to describe spiritual matters, the inspiration and understanding comes from the Holy Spirit.
Thank you so much for the advice, that makes sense. I'm leaning towards getting a copy of the NIV, because I find the language in the KJV just so hard to understand at times.

Merida

Oct 26, 2018
Try Bible Gateway. You can type in a scripture and then go through a list of translations to see the one you prefer most.
Just avoid versions that are paraphrased and not translations (The Message, The Living Bible, etc)
That's awesome. I'm not sure why I never thought to just google and find a website like that. We live in such a digital age, and I use the internet all day long for my job. You'd think I would have clued in. haha. I guess I'm just old-school, and when I think of the Bible, I think of the actual physical copy in my hand.

Laish

Jul 31, 2016
That's awesome. I'm not sure why I never thought to just google and find a website like that. We live in such a digital age, and I use the internet all day long for my job. You'd think I would have clued in. haha. I guess I'm just old-school, and when I think of the Bible, I think of the actual physical copy in my hand.
That’s kinda true with many of us I have at least 10 different scripture translations on my iPad,and I read my giant print NASV leather bound the most . Not sure why but that’s the way it is for a lot of people out there . Old school books are cool . ( yea cooler than bowties)
Blessings
Bill

Merida

Oct 26, 2018
If you are happy with the KJV fine - but you need to be aware that it translates the Greek aion incorrectly as world and some other oddities too.

(Mat 24:3 KJV) And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

NASB and most others:

Mat 24:3 NASB As He was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things happen, and what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?”

There is a vast difference between end of the world and end of the age.

If your mom has never read the KJV or rarely I would recommended the NASB or NIV, they get the message across.
My Mom did a Bible study back in the 90's with a friend of hers, and they used the KJV. She said she understood most of it, but there were parts where a newer, more modern translation would have really helped. So that's why I'm wanting to get she and I both one, and perhaps my husband too (he's not Christian but wants to read the Bible to be educated) where we can all be on the same page :) So I'm thinking of either the NIV or the ESV...

John146

Jan 13, 2016
My Mom did a Bible study back in the 90's with a friend of hers, and they used the KJV. She said she understood most of it, but there were parts where a newer, more modern translation would have really helped. So that's why I'm wanting to get she and I both one, and perhaps my husband too (he's not Christian but wants to read the Bible to be educated) where we can all be on the same page :) So I'm thinking of either the NIV or the ESV...
But please understand, when you mess with the words of God, you mess with the meaning and overall truth. Words, plural, are important to God. I urge you to stick with the KJV and study the words you do not understand. A Webster dictionary could be helpful.

Quantrill

Sep 20, 2018
Yawn. So quick to make assertions but unwilling to defend them. Go and look up "burden of proof reversal".
Why should I go look up 'burden of proof reversal'?

Quantrill

Merida

Oct 26, 2018
But please understand, when you mess with the words of God, you mess with the meaning and overall truth. Words, plural, are important to God. I urge you to stick with the KJV and study the words you do not understand. A Webster dictionary could be helpful.
I understand what you mean, and I do agree to some degree, but unless I can actually understand what I'm reading, there really is no point. The translations help people comprehend what is actually being said, even if the words have been slightly changed for clarity. I do appreciate the KJV, and will continue to use it as well.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
This is silly fear-mongering. The KJV is no more "the word of God" than any other translation.