Bible Editions

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 25, 2018
I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.(Genesis 18:21)

God could not have known what was going on unless He came down to earth and see it for himself by using that logic.

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
And in that communication he repents - changes his mind. (Jonah 3:10)
You actually said it right, now... even though it was not your intention.

Yep, God repents "in that communication towards men", not in His eternal perfect state. It only appears so to us.

Oct 16, 2018
Yep, God repents "in that communication towards men", not in His eternal perfect state. It only appears so to us
No. It can't be anymore plain. He said he would destroy Nineveh. Nineveh turned. God changed his mind and didn't. If he didn't change his mind he would have destroyed Nineveh regardless. There's absolutely nothing scriptural about God not being able to change his mind.

You're trying too hard with "anthropomorphism" to say God doesn't change his mind. It's clear people want to hold onto their works-salvation perversion of repentance here.

Oct 25, 2018
No. It can't be anymore plain. He said he would destroy Nineveh. Nineveh turned. God changed his mind and didn't. If he didn't change his mind he would have destroyed Nineveh regardless. There's absolutely nothing scriptural about God not being able to change his mind.

You're trying too hard with "anthropomorphism" to say God doesn't change his mind. It's clear people want to hold onto their works-salvation perversion of repentance here.
Does God have wings my friend?

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015

Actually, I am not trying hard at all. Everybody who has a reason can understand what anthropomorphism is. And the general teaching of the Church agrees that God knows everything. Which excludes a literal reading of such comments made in the Bible.

You are the one going outside of the church view, so you should try harder than just repeat "it must be literal". Your view also makes you to accept contradictions in the Bible.

Oct 16, 2018
God knows everything.
Of course he does. That's a rather silly reason for thinking he can't change his mind. The Bible simply doesn't say he can't. In fact it says he can. And if you would like me to refer to you where such can be found:

God changed his mind - Jonah 3:10

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
Of course he does. That's a rather silly reason for thinking he can't change his mind.
If God knows everything (including future) and if God does not change, He cannot change His mind. Simple.

God does not change:

You are still the same
Psalm (101 LXX) 102:27

Every good act of giving and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of shifting.
James 1:17

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, and today, and to the ages.
Heb 13:8

The Bible simply doesn't say he can't.
1 Sam (1Kings in Septuagint):

29 And Israel shall be divided to two: and [God] will not turn nor repent, for he is not as a man to repent.

35 And Samuel did not see Saul again till the day of his death, for Samuel mourned after Saul, and the Lord repented that he had made Saul king over Israel.

So, if both statements are literaly true, we have what? Yep, a contradiction. These two verses were left next to each other for thousands of years. Why? Because its not a contradiction, "repent" there means two different things.

In fact it says he can. And if you would like me to refer to you where such can be found: God changed his mind - Jonah 3:10
Anthropomorphism.

Oct 25, 2018
Of course he does. That's a rather silly reason for thinking he can't change his mind. The Bible simply doesn't say he can't. In fact it says he can. And if you would like me to refer to you where such can be found:

Does God have wings my friend?

Dec 28, 2016

Do you read anything for help in interpreting Scripture other than something by Jack Hyles or Peter S. Ruckman? ;)

Or are you one who reads no one else, and get all your teaching directly from God?

Oct 25, 2018

Again my friend, does God have wings?

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
So by your logic

"the Bible says God created all things, but thats anthropomorphic language, he didn't really create all things".
There is nothing logical about this. I think you do not understand what "anthropomophism" means.

Its derived from the Greek word "anthropos", meaning "human, man".

Anthropomorphism means that men describe God, animals or nature in a human manner, i.e. "God will "remember", God "repented", God has "strong hands", mountains "sing", trees "bow down" etc. When you understand this, there is nothing logical in calling "God created everything" as "anthropomorphism".

Oct 25, 2018
There is nothing logical about this. I think you do not understand what "anthropomophism" means.

Its derived from the Greek word "anthropos", meaning "human, man".

Anthropomorphism means that men describe God in a human manner, i.e. "God will "remember", God "repented", God has "strong hands" etc. When you understand this, there is nothing logical to call "God created everything" as "anthropomorphism".
It is accepted in all of Christianity that God does not posses eyes, hands, ears, mouth, feet, etc., yet many places ascribe them to Him.

Anthropomorphism.

Dec 28, 2016
So by your logic

"the Bible says God created all things, but thats anthropomorphic language, he didn't really create all things".

Was God showing forth human characteristics in Genesis 1 at creation?

How many humans have created the world?