Bible versions-Is there only one?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Is there only one true version of the Bible?

• Total voters

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
When the NIV came out it claimed it was easier to read than the KJV. Why the KJV? You never read a new version comparing themselves to the esv or other new versions. Most compare themselves to the KJV.
Because A. It is easier to read than the KJV. And B the other modern versions were already in plain English. The same comparison would be unnecessary.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Well excuse me won't you. I went and had some dinner. I don't stay online & on one website continuously.
People are free to read whichever translation/s they choose. You may have noticed there is no 'NIV Only' club.
There are religious zealots that are easily tempted by Satan to sow discord within the Church.
If we allow them a foothold in our thoughts then it can be a distraction within the mission to preach the Gospel.

Of course if there are clear very specific changes in a Version of a Bible then we should resist it. For example:
queen-james-lgbt-gay-bible.jpg

So it is best to ignore the zealots and do all you can with due diligence when studying the word to use multiple translations including the old with the new. Including Hebrew/ Greek interlinear books. By doing this it is easy to see which scriptures are close to the original language and which scriptures are not as accurate.

The more I get into denominational affairs and Christian debates it has become almost humorous in a sad way of all the issues we fight over and all the while the culture is destroying souls, the churches are being split by actual major issues and we are fighting over thou vs you.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Because A. It is easier to read than the KJV. And B the other modern versions were already in plain English. The same comparison would be unnecessary.
Did you know the 2011 NIV has changed the wording of 40% of the verses from the way they were written in the 1984 NIV? They have removed 32,863 words and added 34,469 different words. They often change or add to the Hebrew text that they previously used and they have changed the underlying Greek text numerous times in their New Testament.

In some cases, their changes were corrections to align with the truth of the KJV.

-BLISS-

Mar 6, 2018
England
The feminized translations are not compatible with sound doctrine. Any attempt to make man inferior is an assault on God and the destruction of the traditional family structure that God intended.

John146

Jan 13, 2016

Let’s look at an example of the ever changing NIV.

Mark 1:40- 41 we read: “And there came a leper to him, beseeching him, and kneeling down to him, and saying unto him, If thou wilt, thou canst make me clean. And Jesus, MOVED WITH COMPASSION, put forth his hand, and touched him, and saith unto him, I will; be thou clean.”

The Ever Changing NIV

The NIV 1973, 1978 and 1984 all read: “FILLED WITH COMPASSION, Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. “I am willing,” he said. “Be clean!”

The 2011 NIV reads, Mark 1:41"Jesus WAS INDIGNANT. He reached out his hand and touched the man. “I am willing,” he said. “Be clean!”

It’s almost laughable to think Jesus was indignant in Mark 1:41.

Jul 20, 2019
There are many translations and revised versions of Bible’s(NIV, Amplified, King James, Living Translation, AS). Did any of these lose essential Biblical meanings and teachings via the translation process? If so, which ones? If true, should those versions be avoided by Believers?
I find it amusing to see these threads over and over again, its to cause division and doubt of course. The enemy isnt going to sit idly by and allow a site like this flourish. A lot of newbies come here seeking answers, they see stuff like this and will be put off ever seeking answers here again.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
O but you are a cool liar.
Don't call me a liar by showing us footnotes. Footnotes in modern bibles tell the reader that those words DO NOT BELONG IN THE BIBLE, by casting doubt on the text. And who will be bothered with footnotes when the NIV claims to be based on *the best" manuscripts (another lie)?

But you have already been siding with the liars and hoaxers who have produced the modern bibles, by giving my posts the thumbs down! So you are actually partaking of their evil deeds -- the MUTILATION of the words of God.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Who cares if it was in the Greek or not and who knows for sure anyway.
Well if you don't care about the Greek you have already shot yourself in the foot. And we do know for sure, since the traditional Hebrew and Greek texts are supported by 99% of the existing manuscripts.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Well if you don't care about the Greek you have already shot yourself in the foot. And we do know for sure, since the traditional Hebrew and Greek texts are supported by 99% of the existing manuscripts.
Why should we care about the Greek when we have the pure words of God preserved in English?

Nov 23, 2013
Hell, hades, Gehenna, nephilim, giants, Easter... the KJV doesn’t follow the original languages in many places.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
Here’s the difference. The KJV speaks singular while the NIV speaks in plural form. Which is correct?

John 6:44 44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
I looked at a comparison and they are in agreement with each other. This comes down to semantics.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
I find it amusing to see these threads over and over again, its to cause division and doubt of course. The enemy isnt going to sit idly by and allow a site like this flourish. A lot of newbies come here seeking answers, they see stuff like this and will be put off ever seeking answers here again.
This verse is always prevalent, " You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
Well it is a Bible chat forum. I understand were confusion can come from as well. There is also 1500 years of disagreeable doctrine, but the truth always comes through.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Don't call me a liar by showing us footnotes. Footnotes in modern bibles tell the reader that those words DO NOT BELONG IN THE BIBLE, by casting doubt on the text. And who will be bothered with footnotes when the NIV claims to be based on *the best" manuscripts (another lie)?

But you have already been siding with the liars and hoaxers who have produced the modern bibles, by giving my posts the thumbs down! So you are actually partaking of their evil deeds -- the MUTILATION of the words of God.
Yawn.

The 1611 KJV had footnotes identifying uncertain passages in the text. Most KJV printings have removed the footnotes and created an artificial certainty.

Dec 30, 2019
Then you have no idea what it is like for people that have been a christian for over 40 years. One of the conditions allowing a man to study and engage himself in the Kabbalah was to be at least forty years old. I thought I would have better understanding when I was 40. I did not because I did not get saved until I was in my 20's. After being a Christian for 40 years when I was in my 60's, that was when I had better understanding.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
Then you have no idea what it is like for people that have been a christian for over 40 years. One of the conditions allowing a man to study and engage himself in the Kabbalah was to be at least forty years old. I thought I would have better understanding when I was 40. I did not because I did not get saved until I was in my 20's. After being a Christian for 40 years when I was in my 60's, that was when I had better understanding.
Interesting that you mention Kabbalah as I was just having a discussion on that today.

Dec 30, 2019
Interesting that you mention Kabbalah as I was just having a discussion on that today.
I like to study the Hasidic teaching in regards to learning the Hebrew Language. This is something we should have learned in Kindergarten when they taught us our alphabet. Every letter has a symbolic meaning and people do not realize it. They just teach the phonics or the sound of the letter.

Attachments

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
There is only one version of the bible that is absolute truth and that is scripture written in the language of original man--ancient Hebrew. That was thousands of years ago and Hebrew is very changed today.

The gospels were in the language used over 2,000 years ago, and the words of the Lord were written down by Hebrew men who knew the Hebrew language of that time even if they wrote in Greek. Their scripture training that they knew God through was Hebrew from reading the scrolls.

Just think how English has changed from the days Shakespeare wrote and that was only about 500 years ago.