Bible "versions"?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 8, 2021
Now I see your untruthfulness over the Greek LXX AND Samaritan Penta. For how many times has been said that when someones claim anything it would be far better to give evidence. Now its my turn to challenge if you could show evidence that the LXX is before 1,000 years older than the 10 ce, Masoretic Text? Now you have all the time to prove it. Thanks.

I'll tell you what... I'll post that information for you when you stop picking and choosing which parts of my posts you address.

I'm going to post this again for the third time for you...

There was errors in the copied Hebrew text before the KJV translators even got their hands on it. The language itself was a dead language and "revived". There was also traditions involved that affect a translation... like not using the name of God. So to accommodate that tradition, many work arounds with the translation had to take place. Of course using the word "Lord" instead of the name... which lead to also having to use "GOD" in all caps for the name when the actual word for "lord" was used (Jdg 16:28, 2Sa 7:28, Psa 69:6, etc.). There is also verses where "God" in the Hebrew was removed altogether... I mentioned Due 32:8 earlier, but Gen 23:6 and Exo 9:28 actually have the word for "Gods" in the Hebrew... but the KJV translates them as "mighty". Just a theory... but there seems to be a pattern of them trying to remove any trace of certain people being referred to as gods or sons of gods. Anyway, its not just the word "god"... there are hundreds of examples of the translators using one word in English to represent a Hebrew word in one place of the bible, and a different English word for the same Hebrew word in another place. Some of these translation decisions may be close in English, but others clearly have different English meanings (I can give you some examples of these if you like).

Also, like I mentioned in my other post... When it comes to cross referencing The Messiah's and other NT quotes to the OT, the Septuagint lines up with these quotes far more often then the KJV. I gave the example of how in Luke 4:18 The Messiah says one of the things he was sent to do was recover the sight to the blind. That is supposed to be a reference to Isaiah 61:1.... but that phrase in Isaiah is completely missing from the KJV. I didn't want to have to go look all of these up again... but if u need me to supply more examples of this, there are plenty of them. Whether you believe this is evidence of one translation being better than the other is for you to decide, but if the KJV doesn't match the quotes in the NT, Its clear that the Messiah and other people in the NT weren't using the source text that the KJV was translated from.

All throughout the NT The Messiah battles with and warns about the scribes... but you put complete trust in them to deliver the perfect Word of God to us?

The real and original "Word of God" has been altered to fit Satan's agenda for a long time. Hence why we have:

Revelation 22:18-19

King James Version

18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book

The fact that there are penalties associated with changing these words means that it is possible for them to be changed.

FYI: That was the KJV translation.. the word "book" makes it appear that the verse is speaking about the bible as we have it today. The "book" didn't exist at the time... The word should have been translated as "scroll".

In Jeremiah it also says that the scribes changed some things:

Jeremiah 8:8

King James Version

8 How do ye say, We are wise, and the law of the Lord is with us? Lo, certainly in vain made he it; the pen of the scribes is in vain.

The phrase "in vain" here is also a bad translation.. it should read "falsehood" or "lying" (which the KJV correctly translated in other verses). Even Jerimiah lets us know that the scribes were changing things very early on. This is why the Messiah said... "It hath been said..... But I say". He had to rightly divide the law that The Father gave, from the false law that the scribes and Pharisees were teaching. We are supposed to be doing the same... but we cant do that if we are holding on to the belief that God's Word has been given to us in writing completely infallible and wrapped up in a bow.

Aug 8, 2021
We choose are beliefs... So you are allowed to believe whatever you want. But that belief comes with a certain level of ignorance... Having to ignore certain facts of what happens during any translation. It also comes with a certain level of arrogance... To believe you and your circle of believers has this pure preserved copy of Gods Word, and not the people in the East for example.

You are mixing up information again. The 400 years is the time spent under Egyptian afflictions, not the amount of time Jacob and his seed spent in the land. Abram and his family dealt with afflictions from Egypt before Jacob was even born. Was Abram, Sarah, Lot and family not kicked out of Egypt earlier with the whole wife being his sister situation?
Oops, I meant we choose our beliefs... lol

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
I'll tell you what... I'll post that information for you when you stop picking and choosing which parts of my posts you address.

I'm going to post this again for the third time for you...
Here you are unable to produce evidence being asked for. You lack integrity. I also ask off-topic about salvation and was not answer. While you may not, I ask them for the purpose that I may know to whom I am responding. and pardon me, now I going to ask you again with an off-topic. Are you a Christian, a new Christian, or a convert to Christianity? I ask this because your screen name Malik sounds Arabic. Thanks

Respectfully yours,[

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
When it comes to cross referencing The Messiah's and other NT quotes to the OT, the Septuagint lines up with these quotes far more often then the KJV.
This is false. I have done a detailed study of this issue, and the Septuagint lines up only about 10% of the time. At the same time, the corruptions in the LXX are so many, that one should not even bother to go there.

Aug 8, 2021
Here you are unable to produce evidence being asked for. You lack integrity. I also ask off-topic about salvation and was not answer. While you may not, I ask them for the purpose that I may know to whom I am responding. and pardon me, now I going to ask you again with an off-topic. Are you a Christian, a new Christian, or a convert to Christianity? I ask this because your screen name Malik sounds Arabic. Thanks

Respectfully yours,[
If there isn't already a thread for it, you are more than welcome to create a thread discussing peoples religious organizations, camps, cults, dominations, etc. I could care less what assumptions you make about how my name sounds to you. Nothing about my or anyone else's religion came up until you stopped being able to address the facts regarding your failed ideology.... so now you want to switch the topic and make the conversation ad hominem. No thank you.

If you want to discuss the room topic and related scripture you can address the points and verses that you have ignored from three posts now.

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
If there isn't already a thread for it, you are more than welcome to create a thread discussing peoples religious organizations, camps, cults, dominations, etc. I could care less what assumptions you make about how my name sounds to you. Nothing about my or anyone else's religion came up until you stopped being able to address the facts regarding your failed ideology.... so now you want to switch the topic and make the conversation ad hominem. No thank you.

If you want to discuss the room topic and related scripture you can address the points and verses that you have ignored from three posts now.
okay thank you, if we are already given your response of what I am asking for then will proceed with the other. I think we are not yet through with Exodus 12:40, are we?

Aug 8, 2021
This is false. I have done a detailed study of this issue, and the Septuagint lines up only about 10% of the time. At the same time, the corruptions in the LXX are so many, that one should not even bother to go there.
My comment was about cross referenced scriptures. Post the cross referenced scriptures from the NT that are reflected in OT of the Masoretic Text and not in the Greek Septuagint.

I posted one of the reverse happening:

In Luke 4:18 The Messiah says one of the things he was sent to do was recover the sight to the blind. That is supposed to be a reference to Isaiah 61:1.... but that phrase in Isaiah is completely missing from the KJV.

I will post more after you post some.

Aug 8, 2021
okay thank you, if we are already given your response of what I am asking for then will proceed with the other. I think we are not yet through with Exodus 12:40, are we?
I don't know what else there is to discuss about Exodus 12:40. Another person on this site posted a link with another KFJ only-ist defending all things KJV. You quickly adopted his explanation of the verse. I made my position clear that the commas and the word "was" is not reflected in the Hebrew of that verse and that it is at the liberty of the translators to use them. To you, the KJV doesn't contain error, therefore they got the commas and adjectives right.... and they got them right, because the KJV doesn't contain error. There is no point in arguing against circular reasoning.

It makes sense to me to move on.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Are you a Christian, a new Christian, or a convert to Christianity? I ask this because your screen name Malik sounds Arabic. Thanks
Fredo, that's disrespectful and borderline racist. There is no reason to assume ANYTHING on the basis of someone's screen name.

Aug 8, 2021
Deuteronomy 32:43.... Who has it more correct and why?

Masoretic (KJV):

1 Shout for joy, O nations, with his people
2 For he will avenge the blood of his servants
3 And will render vengeance to his adversaries
4 And will purge his land, his people.

Qumran (DSS):

1 Shout for joy, O heavens, with him
2 And worship him, all you divine ones
3 For he will avenge the blood of his sons
4 And he will render vengeance to his adversaries
5 And he will recompense the ones hating him
6 And he purges the land of his people.

Septuagint (LXX):

1 Shout for joy, O heavens, with him
2 And let all the sons of God worship him
3 Shout for joy, O nations, with his people
4 And let all the angels of God be strong in him
5 Because he avenges the blood of his sons
6 And he will avenge and recompense justice to his enemies
7 And he will recompense the ones hating
8 And the Lord will cleanse the land of his people.

Duckybill

Aug 16, 2021
I started off using the KJV. I would not recommend it for new Christians. I found it very difficult, thee, thou, thine, doest, hither, pisseth, lol.
I have purchased nearly 40 English translations. I find it amazing how consistent they are. I love comparing them.

Aug 8, 2021
I started off using the KJV. I would not recommend it for new Christians. I found it very difficult, thee, thou, thine, doest, hither, pisseth, lol.
I have purchased nearly 40 English translations. I find it amazing how consistent they are. I love comparing them.
I have a lot of translations now too, what are your top ones?

Duckybill

Aug 16, 2021
I have a lot of translations now too, what are your top ones?
Tough question. I use nearly all of them for comparisons. I usually quote NKJV. I do avoid KJV. But I often read NASB, ESV and I enjoy the CJB.

Aug 8, 2021
Tough question. I use nearly all of them for comparisons. I usually quote NKJV. I do avoid KJV. But I often read NASB, ESV and I enjoy the CJB.
Oh ok... I do use the KJV on the phone and computer a lot, but mainly because of the study tools that come with it (dictionaries and concordance). Do you use any septuagint translations?

Duckybill

Aug 16, 2021
Oh ok... I do use the KJV on the phone and computer a lot, but mainly because of the study tools that come with it (dictionaries and concordance). Do you use any septuagint translations?
Nope

Aug 20, 2021
The new testament does I'v been told over the [Masoretic text = Ben Asher] when quoting scripture from the old testament...That being said it helps to know that there's more then one septuagint. Also the first one was from Egypt and was only the first 5 books of the old testament. The bad guy jews try to get rid of any of the phases that could point to Jesus as being god in the [Masoretic text.]