Biblical Femininity

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

LittleMermaid

I wondered if I should put this in the Ladies Forum or here. I decided to post it here because I enjoy hearing from the brothers too.

I heard a sermon the other day and the preacher talked to women. He said that he doesn't see many Biblically feminine women anymore. The problem was that he didn't really go into details about what exactly that means. So my question is...what is Biblical femininity? I suppose it could mean different things to different people. I'm just curious because I would like to be a feminine woman. I just don't know what she looks like.
How does a feminine woman act? Does she dress a certain way? How would you compare a Biblically feminine woman to the secular women of today?

lolo4

May 17, 2019
this is a great question. there are all kinds of holy women in the Bible with differing personalities.

Hannah was one of two wives, and the other wife had children, but she did not. Her husband tried to comfort her, but she wanted a baby and went to the temple prayed and prayed, with tears of anguish, for a child. When her little Samual was born she dedicated him to God, and left him at the temple to be raised by Eli. but, she did sew him a little garment every year. She went on to have other children...

I love Hannah because God gave her the gift of Samuel, and she was so grateful she gave God her most cherished treasure- her son. I know I wouldn't be able to give up my first born like that!

Before Esther became queen, she was part of a group of young virgins who spent months in beauty treatments, so when they met the Persian king, they may be chosen by him to be one of his many queens.

Her beauty pleased the king and he married her based only on her beauty.

Her Jewish cousin, who had raised her, told her about the plan of the king to kill all the Jews in the empire. He asked Ester to talk to the king, but it was dangerous for her because if she entered his presence without being invited could risk death. She did talk to the king, and she saved the lives of all the Jews in the Persian empire

So, Ester was beautiful and very brave.

oooh one more, and she is another of my favorites. Jochebed is Moses' natural mother. she is wonderful- she kept her little Moses with her until he got so big he would be discovered. Then she had the courage and the faith to put him in a basket and send him off down the Nile river. I bet she asked Miriam to intervene, so when the Pharoh's daughter found Moses, Miriam told her she could find a Hebrew woman to nurse him, and she brought Moses back to Jochebed. the Pharoh's daughter not only gave Jochebed her baby to nurse for 3 years, she paid Jochebed!

Jochibed got to keep her little baby for 3 years, and I believe that in those three years she and her husband taught him about Yahwah, and Moses then he had the seed of faith planted in him by his parents.

I think she was sooo amazing... brave and wonderful and so trusting that God would take care of her baby.

I love the women of the Bible.

what is a holy woman? brave, faithful, trusting in God... and also can have great beauty too.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Hmm... I am not qualified to answer the question. All I can do is observe that God seems to really, really, REALLY be interested in guys and girls looking different. Like, it says a lot in many places about guys and girls not looking like each other. Apparently God wants people to be able to tell at a glance which one you are.

What look is that? Dunno. It depends a lot on current local society. But that's all I got on biblical femininity.

Pipp

Majestic Llamacorn
Sep 17, 2013
Georgia
I believe modesty has alot to do with it. Inward and outwardly. Peoples definition of modesty differs, I'd pray about it and ask God what it should mean to you. Knowing you as I do .... I believe you already are a modest lady.

Tinkerbell725

Jul 19, 2014
Philippines Age 40
Jezebel is also a Biblically feminine woman but she is evil. Most modern unchristian woman is like her. She is an impudent, rebellious, shameless, or morally unrestrained woman. The woman that is pleasing to God is the opposite of a Jezebel.

17Bees

Oct 14, 2016
I am a Catholic who does not accept the doctrine of the immaculate conception of the Mother of Christ. What does that make me? Don't know. What I came away with, though, is the importance of the feminine Mother in biblical history BECAUSE of the Mother of Christ. In the Catholic faith Mary plays a significant role in the birth and life and even the death and resurrection of Christ while the Protestant church tends to downplay Mary's significance. In the same way I believe Protestant doctrine has underplayed the prominence of the biblical woman.

The first "mistake" is in Gen. 2:18. I guess we can blame King James for this when the Lord said "It's not good for man to be alone. I will make him a helper fit for him." The word "helper" is a word that translates a little like a second fiddle or an underling or inferior and not at all like the Hebrew word 'ezer' which has two root words of 'strength' and 'to rescue'. Remember too, in Gen. 1: 26-27 God included women ".....male and female He created them" as being in His likeness and in His image and to be ruler over the fish of the sea, the earth and all the animals.

God's goal was for these beings to flourish and multiply. Impossible without the Mother. But the word "Mother" in my mind carries with it the words "Nourishing" and "Family" and "Home". Words not often associated with the male. So this implies that women complement men as men complement women and though the male and female are equal in the eyes of God, they are different in their strengths and wisdom and attributes.

The biblical woman belongs to Christ. The beauty of the God of Israel would be too much for us to behold but in some ways I think God's adornment has shed Its likeness to womankind. One of the more beautiful illustrations of this is Peter 3:3-4 which speaks of the "...hidden person of the heart with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit".....speaking little of the external beauty which fades.

The biblical woman is the consummation of the male and without her the male is incomplete. Does that make the male and female equal? Not in the way the secularist understands, but in the way a loving heart understands.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
I am a Catholic who does not accept the doctrine of the immaculate conception of the Mother of Christ.
Just curious. Are you saying that you don't believe Mary was a virgin? I'm not going to try and change your view. I'm just wondering if I understand that right. Believe me, I have no interest in theological discussions. I like them about as much as going to the dentist. Plus I wouldn't want to upset Vivian.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: “Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all.” Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised Psalms 31:26-32

I think few achieve this much grace and valor but to me it basically points to a hard working, humble woman, who seeks to help, selflessly, simply to serve, not to be seen.

I think married or single a women who embodies modesty, kindness and gentleness, who looks to be a blessing merely because it has become who she is as a woman of God, aiming to serve her Lord, first and foremost, is an example to the rest of us.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Imo, women of today, myself included, are not near as strong as most of the women of the bible. They were definitely not given near the opportunities we are now. I think that women had one role, to serve, working hard from morning till night.

Don't get me wrong, there are many hardworking honorable women today but I think we ppl, men and women, are less selfless than the biblical peeps.

K

Kim82

Femininity I think has to do with being the weaker sex. Like a woman should be soft and not act strong and tough. And a married woman should be submissive to her husband. I think it also implies that women should not do certain jobs or chores that a man would normally do.

I don't know what the pastor would have meant though.

As for me I don't really think about such things.

What I think about is being modest. I'm always amazed by the things some women wear to church. Even some older women who show their cleavage.

Also I think about natural beauty and the extent that some women will go to achieve beauty. But in doing all this, it's like changing what God made into just having a fake appearance.

Sometimes femininity is also seen as being sensual, like women are suppose to be eye candy for the opposite sex. But I feel that, only a woman's husband should admire her beauty.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Proverbs 31 woman is always held up as a paragon of virtue.

Although few of us women can literally live up to her ideal, cos it seemed she never had a break, up night and day....looking after her household, business and husbands affairs. But the most important thing is not her favour or how popular she is, nor her beauty, but that she fears the Lord.

And I think if you are in a right relationship with God his light will shine in you, and you will become what He has created you to be...very good.

Nov 26, 2012
I think we need to differentiate femininity and being a good Christian woman. I think being feminine and masculine has more to do with hormones than beliefs. To recognize true femininity we need to consider masculinity. It’s a polarization. Many would agree a masculine man is muscular, hairy and dominant. I would say a feminine woman would be opposite; soft (but curvy), less hairy and submissive. IMO, I think Caroline Ingalls (little house on the prairie) is an excellent example.

17Bees

Oct 14, 2016
Just curious. Are you saying that you don't believe Mary was a virgin? I'm not going to try and change your view. I'm just wondering if I understand that right. Believe me, I have no interest in theological discussions. I like them about as much as going to the dentist. Plus I wouldn't want to upset Vivian.
The Immaculate Conception is the concept that Mary was free from original sin because of the merits of Jesus and that God moved on her when she was conceived and made her clean (immaculate). Has nothing to do with the virgin birth (which I do believe in).

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
I wondered if I should put this in the Ladies Forum or here. I decided to post it here because I enjoy hearing from the brothers too.

I heard a sermon the other day and the preacher talked to women. He said that he doesn't see many Biblically feminine women anymore. The problem was that he didn't really go into details about what exactly that means. So my question is...what is Biblical femininity? I suppose it could mean different things to different people. I'm just curious because I would like to be a feminine woman. I just don't know what she looks like.
How does a feminine woman act? Does she dress a certain way? How would you compare a Biblically feminine woman to the secular women of today?
I saw an example of a Proverbs 31 woman. In this case, she was spiritually stronger than her husband. She did not take over and lead her husband like so many do, she instead became his partner and brought him up to speed on her spirituality. They, in turn, then presented themselves to others as a team. Their standing was stronger for her selfless dedication to raising her husband to his highest spiritual level possible. I hope this makes sense.

I love the story of Hanna, just like @lolo4. The way she received the blessing Eli had inadvertently pronounced. Remember, she prayed silently and did not share with Eli her request until Samuel was born and ready to be dedicated (1 Sam. 1:27). 5thumbsup.gif

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I think we need to differentiate femininity and being a good Christian woman. I think being feminine and masculine has more to do with hormones than beliefs. To recognize true femininity we need to consider masculinity. It’s a polarization. Many would agree a masculine man is muscular, hairy and dominant. I would say a feminine woman would be opposite; soft (but curvy), less hairy and submissive. IMO, I think Caroline Ingalls (little house on the prairie) is an excellent example.
I watched every episode and had the book collection. Yes, I think Caroline's character was a good example.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Proverbs 31 woman is always held up as a paragon of virtue.

Although few of us women can literally live up to her ideal, cos it seemed she never had a break, up night and day....looking after her household, business and husbands affairs. But the most important thing is not her favour or how popular she is, nor her beauty, but that she fears the Lord.

And I think if you are in a right relationship with God his light will shine in you, and you will become what He has created you to be...very good.
Couldn't agree with you more. Well said.

Jun 14, 2016
She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: “Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all.” Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised Psalms 31:26-32

I think few achieve this much grace and valor but to me it basically points to a hard working, humble woman, who seeks to help, selflessly, simply to serve, not to be seen.

I think married or single a women who embodies modesty, kindness and gentleness, who looks to be a blessing merely because it has become who she is as a woman of God, aiming to serve her Lord, first and foremost, is an example to the rest of us.
I love these verses.

When I think of the kind of woman I would like to marry, I always think whoever she is, she will definitely be wise and have “the teaching of kindness on her tongue”.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
This will be another subjectively opinionated topic.
What feminine is varies by person. As is the degree of importance. So the best you can hope for is hearing various opinions and selecting the ones the resonate with you the most. Then forming your own opinion.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
This will be another subjectively opinionated topic.
What feminine is varies by person. As is the degree of importance. So the best you can hope for is hearing various opinions and selecting the ones the resonate with you the most. Then forming your own opinion.
Aye lad, t'is indeed subjective.

But if you'll excuse me, the same can be said of almost anything. Just about every topic has plenty room for opinions and selecting the one with which you most agree.

Except, of course, math. :geek:

But yeah, aside from math, just about everything can be a matter of opinion.

Smooth

Jul 22, 2019
I live in New Jersey. Biblical femininity is more rare than a Bigfoot sighting.