Blaspheme of the Holy Spirit

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Is Joe guilty of blaspheme?

• Yes

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • It's not clear

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • It doesn't apply

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

corazondeldei

Apr 17, 2019
For me, my view is more straightforward

The Jews rejected God the Father in the OT
The Jews rejected God the Son in the 4 Gospels
The Jews rejected God the Spirit in Stephen by stoning him when he was "full of the Holy Spirit" (Acts 6:5)

The entire Trinity has been rejected by the Jews, including the HS which Jesus said was an unforgivable sin. God then put his plans for the Jews one side, and ushered in the dispensation of Grace for the Gentiles, as Paul explained in Romans 9-11.

Under this dispensation of Grace, there is no more unforgivable sin :). That sin has been committed by the Jews in the previous dispensation, which has now passed.
It would be more convincing and even edifying to show us the scripture declaring that what Jesus said as an unforgivable sin, He now detracts from or nullified.

Thanks and God bless

Jan 12, 2019
In case you are unaware, your point and stance is far from clear, from people reading your words.

If you truly take the word as it is stated by Jesus, you will say that this sin is unforgivable, period.

And not "If you have done it out of ignorance and later found out your mistake then as I said, God is loving, merciful and forgiving"

The verse you quoted clearly stated

NIV1984 Luke 12:10
And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.

There is no "ifs" or "buts" stated in that verse. Do you really think you are also not changing this verse, as you have accused me of doing? :)
corazondeldei did you miss this reply? :)

corazondeldei

Apr 17, 2019
I did not say that the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is not or no longer unforgivable but what I did was give my personal view or opinion without changing what it means or disagreeing with what is written and that is why i said that I leave judgment to God. I stated the fact that God is loving, merciful and forgiving which only means that everything is up to God who will have mercy on whom he have mercy.

NIV1984 Romans 9:15-18
For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” It does not, therefore, depend on man’s desire or effort, but on God’s mercy. For the Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

It is not good to misrepresent or bear false witness just to win an argument. Again, " do not go beyond what is written." And "let God be true and every man a liar..."

Jan 12, 2019
I did not say that the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is not or no longer unforgivable but what I did was give my personal view or opinion without changing what it means or disagreeing with what is written and that is why i said that I leave judgment to God. I stated the fact that God is loving, merciful and forgiving which only means that everything is up to God who will have mercy on whom he have mercy.

NIV1984 Romans 9:15-18
For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” It does not, therefore, depend on man’s desire or effort, but on God’s mercy. For the Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

It is not good to misrepresent or bear false witness just to win an argument. Again, " do not go beyond what is written." And "let God be true and every man a liar..."
I was quoting your words, why do you call that misrepresentation?

corazondeldei

Apr 17, 2019
NIV1984 Galatians 5:24-26
Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become CONCEITED, PROVOKING and envying each other.

Jan 12, 2019
NIV1984 Galatians 5:24-26
Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become CONCEITED, PROVOKING and envying each other.
If others state their own personal interpretation/opinion of scripture, just like what you are doing, it helps if you don't accuse them of trying to add to the Bible.

You are of course free to disagree with their opinion and state your own. Instead, you arrogantly claim that "It's clear that you have an authority to go beyond what is written while I submit and humbly accept the word that is planted in me, which can SAVE me."

Pot kettle black you understand? :)

Mar 28, 2016
It would be more convincing and even edifying to show us the scripture declaring that what Jesus said as an unforgivable sin, He now detracts from or nullified.

Thanks and God bless
I think all sin is forgivable. Blasphemy make the way of forgiveness unattainable by making the object of forgiveness (God's grace) without effect.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
For me, my view is more straightforward

The Jews rejected God the Father in the OT
The Jews rejected God the Son in the 4 Gospels
The Jews rejected God the Spirit in Stephen by stoning him when he was "full of the Holy Spirit" (Acts 6:5)

The entire Trinity has been rejected by the Jews, including the HS which Jesus said was an unforgivable sin. God then put his plans for the Jews one side, and ushered in the dispensation of Grace for the Gentiles, as Paul explained in Romans 9-11.

Under this dispensation of Grace, there is no more unforgivable sin :). That sin has been committed by the Jews in the previous dispensation, which has now passed.
Let's look at that...

God offered the Messiah to the Jews, the Jews rejected Him, and the Jews paid for it in 70 ad.

But God's word is eternal, it echoes throughout time -

God then offered the Christ to the world, the world is rejecting Him, and the world will pay for it soon.

If the Jews could blaspheme, then so can we. An exercise of God's word does not then render it moot.

7seasrekeyed

I think all sin is forgivable. Blasphemy make the way of forgiveness unattainable by making the object of forgiveness (God's grace) without effect.

translation please

Jan 12, 2019
Let's look at that...

God offered the Messiah to the Jews, the Jews rejected Him, and the Jews paid for it in 70 ad.

But God's word is eternal, it echoes throughout time -

God then offered the Christ to the world, the world is rejecting Him, and the world will pay for it soon.

If the Jews could blaspheme, then so can we. An exercise of God's word does not then render it moot.
Well, I understand you will have that opinion since you reject the notion that not all scripture are written TO us or about US, you will naturally want to keep this unforgivable sin in the books for the Gentile church.

I can understand why that is appealing, its similar to the perspective that, if Christians are not sure of their salvation, it will help to keep them on their toes. :)

7seasrekeyed

Well, I understand you will have that opinion since you reject the notion that not all scripture are written TO us or about US, you will naturally want to keep this unforgivable sin in the books for the Gentile church.

I can understand why that is appealing, its similar to the perspective that, if Christians are not sure of their salvation, it will help to keep them on their toes. :)

so

how was that trip through the desert

40 years

I bet you have some interesting stories

and watch those sideburns. ya don't wanna clip too much

corazondeldei

Apr 17, 2019
NIV1984 Romans 15:1-13
We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. Each of us should please his neighbor for his good, to build him up. For even Christ did not please himself but, as it is written: “The insults of those who insult you have fallen on me.” For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God. For I tell you that Christ has become a servant of the Jews on behalf of God’s truth, to confirm the promises made to the patriarchs so that the Gentiles may glorify God for his mercy, as it is written: “Therefore I will praise you among the Gentiles; I will sing hymns to your name.” Again, it says, “Rejoice, O Gentiles, with his people.” And again, “Praise the Lord, all you Gentiles, and sing praises to him, all you peoples.” And again, Isaiah says, “The Root of Jesse will spring up, one who will arise to rule over the nations; the Gentiles will hope in him.” May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Jan 12, 2019
NIV1984 Romans 15:1-13
We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. Each of us should please his neighbor for his good, to build him up. For even Christ did not please himself but, as it is written: “The insults of those who insult you have fallen on me.” For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God. For I tell you that Christ has become a servant of the Jews on behalf of God’s truth, to confirm the promises made to the patriarchs so that the Gentiles may glorify God for his mercy, as it is written: “Therefore I will praise you among the Gentiles; I will sing hymns to your name.” Again, it says, “Rejoice, O Gentiles, with his people.” And again, “Praise the Lord, all you Gentiles, and sing praises to him, all you peoples.” And again, Isaiah says, “The Root of Jesse will spring up, one who will arise to rule over the nations; the Gentiles will hope in him.” May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
You can learn from why Noah build an ark, but it does not mean you are commanded to build another ark.

You can learn from why the Jews sacrifice a lamb for their sins, and link the lessons into how Jesus is the final sacrifice for sins, but it does not mean you go back to lamb sacrifice now.

All Scripture is written for our learning, yes. But it does not mean ALL scripture are instructions for you to also follow now.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012

Passive aggressive much?

Jan 12, 2019
Passive aggressive much?
No, I am trying to understand where you are coming from.

Even though I disagree with other people, I try to understand why they might find opposing viewpoints appealing.

corazondeldei

Apr 17, 2019
NIV1984 1 Timothy 6:3-5
If anyone teaches FALSE DOCTRINES and DOES NOT AGREE to the SOUND INSTRUCTION OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST and to godly teaching, he is CONCEITED and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy interest in controversies and QUARRELS ABOUT WORDS that result in envy, strife, MALICIOUS TALK, EVIL SUSPCIONS and CONSTANT FRICTION between men of corrupt mind, who have been ROBBED OF THE TRUTH and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
No, I am trying to understand where you are coming from.

Even though I disagree with other people, I try to understand why they might find opposing viewpoints appealing.
Honestly I don't know where you are coming from. You go one way, then the other, then back again. You're like my wife lol :)

I believe that Every. Single. Word. in the Bible was written to me. And Every. Single. Word. in the Bible was written to you. And Every. Single. Word. in the Bible was written to Every. Single. One. of us. There is not A. Single. Word. in the book that does not apply to me. There is not one. single. word. that doesn't apply to you. There is not one. single. word. that doesn't apply to all of us.

So whether the envelope was addressed to the Jews or the Romans or the gentiles doesn't matter.

The fact is, Every. Single. Word. is addressed to each and every one of us.

Jan 12, 2019
Honestly I don't know where you are coming from. You go one way, then the other, then back again. You're like my wife lol :)

I believe that Every. Single. Word. in the Bible was written to me. And Every. Single. Word. in the Bible was written to you. And Every. Single. Word. in the Bible was written to Every. Single. One. of us. There is not A. Single. Word. in the book that does not apply to me. There is not one. single. word. that doesn't apply to you. There is not one. single. word. that doesn't apply to all of us.

So whether the envelope was addressed to the Jews or the Romans or the gentiles doesn't matter.

The fact is, Every. Single. Word. is addressed to each and every one of us.
Interesting that you began with "I believe" but you conclude with "the fact is". It shows that you cannot distinguish between your own belief/opinion and what is factual for everyone.

No wonder you find it difficult to understand that, there are people who could try to understand people's opposing viewpoints but can still disagree with them. :)

CS1

May 23, 2012
who is Joe ? lol