blasphemy against the Holy Spirit weaponizing the term

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Jesus is the only person in the word of God who said anything about blasphemy the Holy Spirit. No one else in scripture has used it. many have said what they think it is, Jesus very clearly shows us it is equating the word of the Holy Spirit to that of the devil. Some suggest it is rejecting salvation because you go to help forever if you die unsaved. Jesus did n to say that was blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. What did Jesus say?

Matthew 12:22-32

22 Then one was brought to Him who was demon-possessed, blind and mute; and He healed him, so that the blind and[fn] mute man both spoke and saw. 23 And all the multitudes were amazed and said, “Could this be the Son of David?”
24 Now when the Pharisees heard it they said, This fellow does not cast out demons except by Beelzebub,the ruler of the demons.”
25 But Jesus knew their thoughts, and said to them: “Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, and every city or house divided against itself will not stand. 26 If Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then will his kingdom stand? 27 And if I cast out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they shall be your judges. 28 But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, surely the kingdom of God has come upon you. 29 Or how can one enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? And then he will plunder his house. 30 He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters abroad.
31 “Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. 32 Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

Mark 3: 22-30

22 And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem said, “He has Beelzebub,” and, “By the ruler of the demons He casts out demons.”
23 So He called them to Himself and said to them in parables: “How can Satan cast out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 And if a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. 26 And if Satan has risen up against himself, and is divided, he cannot stand, but has an end. 27 No one can enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man. And then he will plunder his house. 28 “Assuredly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter; 29 but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation”30 28 “Assuredly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter; 29 but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation”— 30 because they said, “He has an unclean spirit.”

Luke 12:10

10 “And anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but to him who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven.

many times chritians say to a person " you are blaspheming the Holy Spirit. Why are you judging a person with eternal damnation? This sin is a sin of knowledge, meaning you have to know who the Holy Spirit is to blasphemy HIM. many weaponize the term to attack those they disagree with I would Caution you to be very careful in your telling person they have done what is known as the unpardonable sin. Jesus said Judge not yet many will tell a person they did this when they don't know the heart of the person.

30 because they said, “He has an unclean spirit.”
Jesus said to those scribes a very serious admonishment. Jesus did not say they did, in fact, do this sin because he said you can speak about me and I will forgive you BUT if you speak the way you did to me about the Holy Spirit saying he is doing the work of the devil you are in serious eternal jeopardy. They did not know what they were saying they just wanted to discredit Jesus.

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is a sin of knowledge. many people are suffering because "Christians" have told those who they disagree with you have done this sin. They sink into serious torment and depravity. YOU have NO busnieses doing that.

FYI Jesus said in Matthew 7:1-5

1 “Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. 3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

If you think a person has done this pray for them and tell them to be very careful and leave them to the Lord so you don't make judgments that will cause you to suffer. Some weaponize this as common as saying everything is a false teaching or false teacher. Be very careful. You are playing with fire.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Jesus is the only person in the word of God who said anything about blasphemy the Holy Spirit. No one else in scripture has used it. many have said what they think it is, Jesus very clearly shows us it is equating the work of the Holy Spirit to that of the devil. Some suggest it is rejecting salvation because you go to hell forever if you die unsaved. Jesus did not say that was blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. What did Jesus say?

22 Then one was brought to Him who was demon-possessed, blind and mute; and He healed him, so that the blind and[fn] mute man both spoke and saw. 23 And all the multitudes were amazed and said, “Could this be the Son of David?”
24 Now when the Pharisees heard it they said, This fellow does not cast out demons except by Beelzebub,the ruler of the demons.”
25 But Jesus knew their thoughts, and said to them: “Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, and every city or house divided against itself will not stand. 26 If Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then will his kingdom stand? 27 And if I cast out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they shall be your judges. 28 But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, surely the kingdom of God has come upon you. 29 Or how can one enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? And then he will plunder his house. 30 He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters abroad.
31 “Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. 32 Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him;
but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

22 And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem said, “He has Beelzebub,” and, “By the ruler of the demons He casts out demons.”
23 So He called them to Himself and said to them in parables: “How can Satan cast out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 And if a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. 26 And if Satan has risen up against himself, and is divided, he cannot stand, but has an end. 27 No one can enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man. And then he will plunder his house. 28 “Assuredly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter; 29 but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation”— 30 28 “Assuredly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter; 29 but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation”30 because they said, “He has an unclean spirit.”

10 “And anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but to him who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven.

Many times chritians say to a person " you are blaspheming the Holy Spirit. Why are you judging a person with eternal damnation? This sin is a sin of knowledge, meaning you have to know who the Holy Spirit is to blasphemy HIM. "Christians" weaponize the term to attack those they disagree with. I would Caution you to be very careful in telling a person they have done what is known as the unpardonable sin. Jesus said Judge not yet many will tell a person they did this when they don't know the heart of the person.

Jesus said to those scribes a very serious admonishment. Jesus did not say they did, in fact, do this sin because he said you can speak about me and I will forgive you BUT if you speak the way you did to me about the Holy Spirit saying he is doing the work of the devil you are in serious eternal jeopardy. They did not know what they were saying they just wanted to discredit Jesus.

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is a sin of knowledge. many people are suffering because "Christians" have told those who they disagree with you have done this sin. They sink into serious torment and depravity. YOU have NO business doing that.

1 “Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. 3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

If you think a person has done this pray for them and tell them to be very careful and leave them to the Lord so you don't make judgments that will cause you to suffer. Some weaponize this as common as saying everything is a false teaching or false teacher. Be very careful. You are playing with fire.

Jan 5, 2022
"A higher plane," hehe
www.youtube.com
Can I ask an honest question?

Could blasphemy against the Holy Spirit be an outright denial that the Holy Spirit exists? I have seen a rise in Trinity deniers in recent years.

To deny the Holy Spirit's existence means one does not have the Spirit's indwelling. To persist in this view means persisting in unbelief and rejection of the Gospel.

CS1

May 23, 2012

Could blasphemy against the Holy Spirit be an outright denial that the Holy Spirit exists? I have seen a rise in Trinity deniers in recent years.

To deny the Holy Spirit's existence means one does not have the Spirit's indwelling. To persist in this view means persisting in unbelief and rejection of the Gospel.

the only thing I can say is what Jesus said about the topic as HE is the only one who said what it is.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021

It is always Good to ask honest questions ----

My view
When Jesus walked on this earth and was performing miracles the Pharisees accused Jesus of being Satan so they were saying He was demon possessed and not spirit filled with the power of the Holy Spirit who gives the power to preform the miracles -----

The Pharisees should have known better and they willfully rejected the truth of the scriptures and the proof of who Jesus was ------Jesus I believe saw their wilful blindness as unpardonable -------as it was evil speaking ---abuse and a direct insult to the workings of Holy Spirit-----and only the deepest depraved mind would think that and they were very well schooled in the Scriptures ----they knew better

The question is can we do that today ------I say no -----Why --because Jesus is not here preforming miracles and as he was then so we cannot accuse Jesus of being Satan -----and without receiving Jesus as our Lord and Saviour --we cannot have the indwelling of Holy Spirit -----so we have no way to Blaspheme the Holy Spirit -----

Anyone who has received Jesus as their Lord and saviour and has experienced the Goodness of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit will never want to blaspheme the Holy Goodness and Blessings that they experience -----so I do not believe the unpardonable sin is relevant for today -----

Many use ----Matthew 12:32 as the scripture for saying it is relevant for today ----

Matthew 12:32 AMP
32 Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit [by attributing the miracles done by Me to Satan] will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

I say -----Jesus was the bearer of 2 ages ------the Law and Prophets and Grace -----so Jesus was speaking to the Pharisees who refused to accept Him as the Messiah ----and the time was coming when their Law and Prophet age was coming to an end and they were rejecting the coming age ---which was the Kingdom of Heaven age ------so Jesus is saying in the Scripture that because they had called the Holy Spirit evil they would not be forgiven in this age or the one to come ----that is how I see it ---------

CS1

May 23, 2012
there is nothing in the word of God that says Christ doesn't heal or do miracles today. The Great Commission from the Lord Jesus Christ to the Disciples and we apply it today do what the Lord did because HE said you will do them.

the context of my thread is the weaponization of those who say one has blasphemed the Holy Spirt for the reasons of:

1. they left a church fellowship
  2. they spoke against a pastor or disagreed with him
  3. think biblical error, and false teaching is Blashemying the Holy Spirit
  4. disagreeing with their Biblical position
Jesus is the only one who spoke of this sin and we must keep in context what the scripture actually says and not suggest it is something else because of a bias. Such as one saying

"Jesus is not here performing miracles and as he was then so we cannot accuse Jesus of being Satan."

22 Then one was brought to Him who was demon-possessed, blind and mute; and He healed him so that the blind and mute man both spoke and saw. 23 And all the multitudes were amazed and said, “Could this be the Son of David?”
24 Now when the Pharisees heard it they said, This fellow does not cast out demons except by Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons.”
25 But Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them: Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, and every city or house divided against itself will not stand. 26 If Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then will his kingdom stand? 27 And if I cast out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they shall be your judges. 28 But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, surely the kingdom of God has come upon you. 29 Or how can one enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? And then he will plunder his house. 30 He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters abroad.
31 “Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. 32 Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

What Jesus said is what is authoritative. not what we think does or doesn't happen today

Mar 4, 2020
Jesus is the only person in the word of God who said anything about blasphemy the Holy Spirit. No one else in scripture has used it. many have said what they think it is, Jesus very clearly shows us it is equating the work of the Holy Spirit to that of the devil. Some suggest it is rejecting salvation because you go to hell forever if you die unsaved. Jesus did not say that was blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. What did Jesus say?

31 “Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. 32 Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him;
but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

23 So He called them to Himself and said to them in parables: “How can Satan cast out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 And if a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. 26 And if Satan has risen up against himself, and is divided, he cannot stand, but has an end. 27 No one can enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man. And then he will plunder his house. 28 “Assuredly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter; 29 but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation”— 30 28 “Assuredly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter; 29 but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation”30 because they said, “He has an unclean spirit.”

Many times chritians say to a person " you are blaspheming the Holy Spirit. Why are you judging a person with eternal damnation? This sin is a sin of knowledge, meaning you have to know who the Holy Spirit is to blasphemy HIM. "Christians" weaponize the term to attack those they disagree with. I would Caution you to be very careful in telling a person they have done what is known as the unpardonable sin. Jesus said Judge not yet many will tell a person they did this when they don't know the heart of the person.

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is a sin of knowledge. many people are suffering because "Christians" have told those who they disagree with you have done this sin. They sink into serious torment and depravity. YOU have NO business doing that.

Jesus very clearly demonstrated the power of God through His miracles. Nowadays, I would say that most people, let alone Christians, have seen such mighty works as raising the dead, walking of water, healing the sick and lame, real prophesying, real speaking in tongues, etc.

In my opinion, the scribes and Pharisees who Jesus charged with blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, were in a unique place in history to witness the Son of God in front of them in the flesh, see the prophecies come true, see the miracles, see the power, and still said it was from evil.

We don’t have Jesus, the Son of God, standing in front of us doing miracles by the power of the Holy Spirit. It’s debatable if blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is currently possible in the present day.

For blasphemy of the Holy Spirit to be possible, we would need to reproduce the exact conditions described in the verses you provided in your original post. Since it is not currently possible to reproduce those conditions and we have no other examples of how to judge something as blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, then it’s possible that it’s currently impossible to blaspheme the Holy Spirit, but I wouldn’t recommend testing that!

CS1

May 23, 2012
"For blasphemy of the Holy Spirit to be possible, we would need to reproduce the exact conditions described in the verses you provided in your original post. Since it is not currently possible to reproduce those conditions and we have no other examples of how to judge something as blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, then it’s possible that it’s currently impossible to blaspheme the Holy Spirit, but I wouldn’t recommend testing that!"

The response is opinionated and not a proper exegesis of the text. Jesus healings and working of miracles we see in the passages of scripture and his comment in context to Matthew 12, Mark 3, and Luke 12 was caused by
the comment of the Pharisees which we do know what they said because the Word of God give us it.

22 Then one was brought to Him who was demon-possessed, blind and mute; and He healed him so that the blind and mute man both spoke and saw. 23 And all the multitudes were amazed and said, “Could this be the Son of David?”
24 Now when the Pharisees heard it they said, This fellow does not cast out demons except by Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons.”

The Pharisees said about Jesus miracle of casting out the demon was because of what they heard the people say about Jesus

“Could this be the Son of David?”

They already took issue with Jesus as we know " Luke 4:20 as He told them He was the promised one.
Because of what the people said about Jesus the Pharisees look to change their minds I guess by saying

This fellow does not cast out demons except by Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons.”

NOW we must look at what Lord Jesus responds to this, not what we think.

the text says :

25 But Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them: “Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, and every city or house divided against itself will not stand. 26 If Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then will his kingdom stand? 27 And if I cast out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they shall be your judges. 28 But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, surely the kingdom of God has come upon you. 29 Or how can one enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? And then he will plunder his house. 30 He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters abroad.

Jesus in Matthew chapter 23 called the Scribes & Pharieeses Hypocrites 7 times and said

33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?

Never once said " you blasphemers of the Holy Spirit. Why?

Because Matthew 12 and the other passages show us Jesus was warning them. He was not saying they did Blasphemy the Holy Spirit as Jesus had no issue with saying "YOU Hypocrites" 11 chapters later. One can't assume what Jesus said can't happen because of a false perception of no healing or miracles today. The text doesn't say or even suggest that.

What we do know is "Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit" is in the word of God and :
  1. Jesus is the only one who used it
  2. it was said because His casting out a devil was said to be done by the power of the devil
  3. it was said to those whose Thoughts were known to Jesus
  4. it was said to discredit Jesus as Being the Son of David by the people at that time.
  5. Jesus never said they did blasphemy the Holy Spirit he said Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. 32 Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

Jesus did not say YOU, therefore it appears this is a warning or strong admonishment by the Lord to those of the Pharisees.

Mar 4, 2020
"For blasphemy of the Holy Spirit to be possible, we would need to reproduce the exact conditions described in the verses you provided in your original post. Since it is not currently possible to reproduce those conditions and we have no other examples of how to judge something as blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, then it’s possible that it’s currently impossible to blaspheme the Holy Spirit, but I wouldn’t recommend testing that!"

The response is opinionated and not a proper exegesis of the text. Jesus healings and working of miracles we see in the passages of scripture and his comment in context to Matthew 12, Mark 3, and Luke 12 was caused by
the comment of the Pharisees which we do know what they said because the Word of God give us it.

The Pharisees said about Jesus miracle of casting out the demon was because of what they heard the people say about Jesus

“Could this be the Son of David?”

They already took issue with Jesus as we know " Luke 4:20 as He told them He was the promised one.
Because of what the people said about Jesus the Pharisees look to change their minds I guess by saying

This fellow does not cast out demons except by Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons.”

NOW we must look at what Lord Jesus responds to this, not what we think.

the text says :

25 But Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them: “Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, and every city or house divided against itself will not stand. 26 If Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then will his kingdom stand? 27 And if I cast out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they shall be your judges. 28 But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, surely the kingdom of God has come upon you. 29 Or how can one enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? And then he will plunder his house. 30 He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters abroad.

Jesus in Matthew chapter 23 called the Scribes & Pharieeses Hypocrites 7 times and said

33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?

Never once said " you blasphemers of the Holy Spirit. Why?

Because Matthew 12 and the other passages show us Jesus was warning them. He was not saying they did Blasphemy the Holy Spirit as Jesus had no issue with saying "YOU Hypocrites" 11 chapters later. One can't assume what Jesus said can't happen because of a false perception of no healing or miracles today. The text doesn't say or even suggest that.

What we do know is "Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit" is in the word of God and :
  1. Jesus is the only one who used it
  2. it was said because His casting out a devil was said to be done by the power of the devil
  3. it was said to those whose Thoughts were known to Jesus
  4. it was said to discredit Jesus as Being the Son of David by the people at that time.
  5. Jesus never said they did blasphemy the Holy Spirit he said Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. 32 Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

Jesus did not say YOU, therefore it appears this is a warning or strong admonishment by the Lord to those of the Pharisees.
My point is that for someone to blaspheme the Holy Spirit then they need to be a witness to the power of the Holy Spirit in order to assign evil to Him.

I didn’t say that miracles or spiritual gifts are not in effect, I believe they are in effect in the present day. An example of my point is that if we prayed for a sick person to get better and they recover then maybe they were going to recover anyway because God gave people an immune system. Sometimes people don’t recover even if we pray for them. So there’s that too.

However, if Jesus is here in the flesh, laying on hands, commanding demons to leave, etc and people are instantly healed then it’s an obvious display of the Holy Spirit.

Short of some undeniable miracle then there is plausible deniability that an alleged miracle can be explained away by natural causes. All of that being said, when people “blaspheme the Holy Spirit” nowadays, they might have no idea what they are speaking evil about. Does that make more sense?

CS1

May 23, 2012
Does one have to see the work of the Holy Spirit to blasphemy Holy Spirit? The Bible doesn't say that? No. So that is not the case.

the context from the word of God is they said he was doing by the power of the devil. They did not say the Holy Spirit is a devil.

The Pharisees were being warned about what they said out of hate of Jesus but not knowing they were speaking of the Holy Spirit.

Jesus made that point.

arthurfleminger

Aug 18, 2021
Jesus is the only person in the word of God who said anything about blasphemy the Holy Spirit. No one else in scripture has used it. many have said what they think it is, Jesus very clearly shows us it is equating the word of the Holy Spirit to that of the devil. Some suggest it is rejecting salvation because you go to help forever if you die unsaved. Jesus did n to say that was blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. What did Jesus say?

23 So He called them to Himself and said to them in parables: “How can Satan cast out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 And if a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. 26 And if Satan has risen up against himself, and is divided, he cannot stand, but has an end. 27 No one can enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man. And then he will plunder his house. 28 “Assuredly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter; 29 but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation”30 28 “Assuredly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter; 29 but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation”— 30 because they said, “He has an unclean spirit.”

many times chritians say to a person " you are blaspheming the Holy Spirit. Why are you judging a person with eternal damnation? This sin is a sin of knowledge, meaning you have to know who the Holy Spirit is to blasphemy HIM. many weaponize the term to attack those they disagree with I would Caution you to be very careful in your telling person they have done what is known as the unpardonable sin. Jesus said Judge not yet many will tell a person they did this when they don't know the heart of the person.

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is a sin of knowledge. many people are suffering because "Christians" have told those who they disagree with you have done this sin. They sink into serious torment and depravity. YOU have NO busnieses doing that.

When you say, "Jesus very clearly shows us it is equating the word of the Holy Spirit to that of the devil.", I agree with you 100%. If you want to understand Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, then you need to take it in the context for which Jesus taught it in Scripture. Jesus cast out demons with the Power of the Holy Spirit and the Pharisees claimed it was done with the power of Beelzebub/Satan instead. This is a simple concept to grasp.

Jan 5, 2022
"A higher plane," hehe
www.youtube.com
the only thing I can say is what Jesus said about the topic as HE is the only one who said what it is.
Yes, and this is the bottom line correct answer. But in the context, it seems to me that those tempting Jesus were either denying the existence of the Holy Spirit outright, or as studentoftheword mentioned, calling the Holy Spirit evil or a working of the devil, which is kind of the same thing from a slightly different angle.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Yes, and this is the bottom line correct answer. But in the context, it seems to me that those tempting Jesus were either denying the existence of the Holy Spirit outright, or as studentoftheword mentioned, calling the Holy Spirit evil or a working of the devil, which is kind of the same thing from a slightly different angle.
The text did not say that. The Holy Spirit was not mentioned nor being a Pharisees or scribe meant they even had the Holy Spirit.
This is all still pre - Pentacost. Only Kings, Rulers, Preist, Prophets, and Judges were seen to have the Holy Spirit upon them.

Prior to Jesus coming there was a dark age from Miciah to Jesus. They did not have the concept of the Holy Spirit nor a man being God.

So you have to take that into account. Jesus had to explain the Holy Spirit as we see he did to the Pharisees Nicodemus in John chapter 3 who did not know, as Jesus had to explain to the disciples in John 14 and 15 they did not know who the "Comforter" was He had not yet been given. That is what the word of God says.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
The text did not say that. The Holy Spirit was not mentioned
CSI -----your making the Jew look stupid ---the Old testament was available to the Jews and they knew of the Prophecy of the coming of the Messiah and they would have known about The Holy Spirit --especially the Pharisees they were the Teachers of the Law -and scriptures ----they new all about Jesus coming and the power and work of Holy spirit and so they had no excuse ---- they wilfully made the decision to call Jesus who was empowered by the Holy Spirit evil ------The Holy Spirit gave Jesus the power --ability to do the miracles and they would have known that -------

Jesus was telling Nicodemus how to see the Kingdom of God -------and you see he knew Jesus was from God and be knows that the Holy Spirit is with him to give him the power to do the miracles -------

John 3:1-5 GNT
Jesus and Nicodemus
3 There was a Jewish leader named Nicodemus, who belonged to the party of the Pharisees. 2 One night he went to Jesus and said to him, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher sent by God. No one could perform the miracles you are doing unless God were with him.”
3 Jesus answered, “I am telling you the truth: no one can see the Kingdom of God without being born again.”[a]
4 “How can a grown man be born again?” Nicodemus asked. “He certainly cannot enter his mother's womb and be born a second time!”
5 “I am telling you the truth,” replied Jesus, “that no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand

Yes this is what I see with what the Pharisees were doing in the NT when addressing blasphemy. I dont see in the bible where its something a believer does

Jan 5, 2022
"A higher plane," hehe
www.youtube.com
Yes this is what I see with what the Pharisees were doing in the NT when addressing blasphemy. I dont see in the bible where its something a believer does
Agree 100%. Whatever it is, since it cuts someone off from God, the sin of blaspheming the Holy Spirit cannot be something a believer can do.

CS1

May 23, 2012
CSI -----your making the Jew look stupid ---the Old testament was available to the Jews and they knew of the Prophecy of the coming of the Messiah and they would have known about The Holy Spirit --especially the Pharisees they were the Teachers of the Law -and scriptures ----they new all about Jesus coming and the power and work of Holy spirit and so they had no excuse ---- they wilfully made the decision to call Jesus who was empowered by the Holy Spirit evil ------The Holy Spirit gave Jesus the power --ability to do the miracles and they would have known that -------

Jesus was telling Nicodemus how to see the Kingdom of God -------and you see he knew Jesus was from God and be knows that the Holy Spirit is with him to give him the power to do the miracles -------

John 3:1-5 GNT
Jesus and Nicodemus
3 There was a Jewish leader named Nicodemus, who belonged to the party of the Pharisees. 2 One night he went to Jesus and said to him, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher sent by God. No one could perform the miracles you are doing unless God were with him.”
3 Jesus answered, “I am telling you the truth: no one can see the Kingdom of God without being born again.”[a]
4 “How can a grown man be born again?” Nicodemus asked. “He certainly cannot enter his mother's womb and be born a second time!”
5 “I am telling you the truth,” replied Jesus, “that no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit.
Excuse me? Please suggest I am making anyone look stupid, I am very much sure a person can do that without my help.
the experience of those in the Old Testament has the Holy Spirit was not in the context of all the people of God did. Please sure me where the Holy Spirit was upon all people in the Old Testament better yet all the Jews or Hebrews? He was not.
The concept of Triune God was not understood let alone the Holy Spirit. Nicodemus did not understand because he was Carnal minded was evident by his words about being born-again.

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
There is actually more than one sin that is unforgivable:

The one we are normally aware of is blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

Mat 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
Mat 12:32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

mk 3:28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
mk 3:29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation.

G988
ß?asf?µ?´a
blasphe¯mia
Thayer Definition:
1) slander, detraction, speech injurious, to another’s good name
2) impious and reproachful speech injurious to divine majesty
Part of Speech: noun feminine
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from G989
Citing in TDNT: 1:621, 107

But there is another sin that isn't forgivable:

Here we have where someone receives all the gifts God has to give, but then falls away.

Hebrews 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
Hebrews 6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
Hebrews 6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

These verses are addressing those who were real Christians who had the Holy Spirit, knew the truth of the bible, tasted of the powers of the next age of the eternity and of the heavenly gift thereof and still decided to turn away from Christ. This is also what the unforgivable sin is as this is a great offense to the HS who dwelt in them. These are much like satan who once was very loyal but who turned his back on everything. This isn't about race, its about Christians who have received more power and knowledge and everything than most ever dream of receiving and then they forsake it all for evil. This would be like Paul or John or any of the prophets deciding to side with satan and fight against God after satan is released from the pit. That's how special and important these former Christians were.

1. enlightened
2. tasted of the heavenly gift
3. made partakers of the Holy Ghost
4. tasted the good word of God
5. tasted the powers of the world to come

These are not levels but are accomplishments and experiences. Not all Christians experience all of these things but the people being described experienced all of these things which is very special. That is why falling from such a spiritually advanced position is something that is not going to be forgiven. It's similar to an Arch angel rebelling, or even a regular angel. To be in such a special position and unique heavenly experiences only to fall away and join the enemy. It's not forgivable and cannot be renewed via repentance.

Then we have the changing of the word of God.

(KJV Rev. 22)
18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Notice that this is a two fold curse.

1) If you add to the word, the plagues will be added upon to you.
2) If you take away from the word. Your part shall be taken out of the book of life, the Holy City, and the things written in this book which would include salvation.

Another is committed by fallen angels whom as we know shall join Satan in eternal death. They cannot be forgiven of the punishment they have received because they are already judged to the lake of fire.

Jude 1:6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

2 Peter 2:4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

This also applies to the fallen angel Lucifer, now known as Satan, who shall also die the second death.

Mat_25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
Heb 10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
Heb 10:28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
Heb 10:29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

Three offenses mentioned:

1. trodden under foot the Son of God
2. hath counted the blood of the covenant an unholy thing
3. hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace

"despite" here means to "insult" and this is directly related blaspemy of the Holy Spirit:

Mat 12:32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
LOL ---OK you seem to want to be right ---so for you you are right-------------- but for me you are missing the mark --the Holy Spirit was very much rubbed on God's people ---in the Old Testament ------you better go back and read the chapters -----The Jews were well versed on the Holy Spirit ------

https://www.christianity.com/wiki/holy-spirit/10-roles-of-the-holy-spirit-in-the-old-testament.html
10 Roles of the Holy Spirit in the Old Testament

1. The Spirit Created and Sustained Life
We observe the initial work of the Holy Spirit in Genesis. The Spirit hovered over the waters that God made out of nothing (Genesis 1:1-2), bringing life and setting things in order.

The Spirit of God was involved in creating and sustaining all natural life (Psalm 104:30).

2. The Spirit Spoke God’s Words
Throughout the Old Testament, the Spirit of God is connected to God’s words. The Lord said He would put His words in His people’s mouths (Isaiah 59:21). In 2 Samuel 23:2, David said the Spirit of the Lord spoke through him.

Old Testament saints received God’s words through their prophets and leaders. Moses told the Israelites, “The word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so that you may obey it” (Deuteronomy 30:14).

3. The Spirit Promoted Holiness
The Spirit is holy. In the Old Testament, God contended with humans in their sinful nature, and Jehovah wisely limited man’s years (Genesis 6:3). The escalating evil (Genesis 6:5-6) proved Romans 3:23 is true: “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” God’s people “rebelled and grieved” His Holy Spirit (Isaiah 63:7-10), and as a result, God in His holiness fought against them.

4. The Spirit Addressed Evil
Genesis 6:3suggests the Holy Spirit restrains sin, and He motivates God’s people to confront it. The prophet Micah was bold to denounce evil and declare the righteousness of God, and he attributed this to filling by the Spirit of the Lord (Micah 3:8). Micah said the Spirit filled him with “justice and might, to declare to Jacob his transgression and to Israel his sin.”

Before the crucifixion of Christ, the Holy Spirit gave John the Baptizer, Jesus’ cousin and His forerunner, that same powerful filling (Luke 1:15). John was bold to denounce evil, even though it cost him his life (Mark 6:14-29).

5. The Spirit Regenerated
Old Testament believers were regenerated by the Spirit, because all believers must be regenerated to overcome their natural hostility toward God and be able to please Him
When Nicodemus seemed confused after Jesus said new birth by the Spirit was necessary for salvation, Jesus rebuked him, saying, “Are you a teacher of Israel and yet you do not understand this?” (John 3:10) Jesus seemed to say Nicodemus, a religious teacher in Israel, should have understood the Spirit’s role in the “new birth” even in Old Testament times.

6. The Spirit Indwelled
In regard to the indwelling or filling by the Spirit in the Old Testament, most scholars believe the indwelling was selective and temporary.
This is in contrast to the New Testament where the Spirit permanently indwells believers (1 Corinthians 3:16-17; 6:19-20).

The Spirit was said to “come upon” Old Testament believers for God’s purposes. Joshua was filled with the Spirit and commissioned to lead Israel after Moses’ death (Numbers 27:12-23). Othniel (Numbers 27:18; Judges 3:10) was empowered by the Spirit to judge God’s people and lead them in war.

7. The Spirit Empowered
As the Jews returned from the Babylonian exile, the Lord encouraged them to build His temple. He wanted them to know He would protect them from threats and enable them to be courageous. God told His people through Haggai, “… my Spirit remains among you. Do not fear” (2:5).

At times, the Holy Spirit empowered God’s people, helping them go beyond their own abilities. The Spirit of the Lord came “mightily” upon Sampson. In one instance, the Spirit took control and Sampson tore a lion apart; and another time—as Sampson took vengeance on the Philistines—ropes that bound him snapped like burned flax (Judges 14:5-6; 15:14).

8. The Spirit Taught and Led
Ezra said of God, “You gave your good Spirit to instruct them” (Nehemiah 9:20). Old Testament believers were enabled by the Spirit to understand what God said to them, especially through the words of the prophets—even if they refused to listen (Nehemiah 9:30).

In other instances, the Spirit gave instruction to individuals. For example, David gave his son Solomon the plans for the temple “that the Spirit had put in his mind” (1 Chronicles 28:10-12).

The Spirit gave God’s people understanding (Job 32:8). The psalmist wanted to know God’s will, and he asked the Lord to allow His “gracious Spirit” to lead him to firm footing (Psalm 143:10).

9. The Spirit Granted Special Skills
The Holy Spirit gifted Old Testament individuals to accomplish God’s divine plans. When God told Israel how He wanted His tabernacle built, He also equipped craftsmen and artisans by His Spirit to do the work (Exodus 31:1-5).
The Spirit enabled saints like Joseph (Genesis 41:1-38) to interpret God’s revelation through dreams, and He gave some believers a gift of prophecy. (Numbers 11:25).

The Spirit came upon and empowered God’s prophets, priests, and kings in special ways, gifting them for service. Prophets preached God’s word, the priests interceded for God’s people, and kings were anointed to lead Israel against God’s enemies (2 Peter 1:21; 2 Chronicles 24:20; 1 Samuel 16:13).

10. The Spirit Pointed to the Messiah
Isaiah prophesied about Israel’s coming Messiah, noting that the Spirit would rest upon Him (Isaiah 42:1). When Jesus was baptized in the Jordan River, Luke says “the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove” (Luke 3:22).

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Could blasphemy against the Holy Spirit be an outright denial that the Holy Spirit exists?
Not according to the words of Christ. The blasphemy of the Holy Spirit means knowingly attributing the miracles of God the Holy Spirit to Satan (an evil spirit). Jesus called that miracle-working power "the finger of God". The enemies of Christ accused Him of being demon possessed and doing His miracles by the power of Satan. That was blasphemous.