Blessings

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
'Blessings' was the topic for a recent devotion. Tell me what you think of this statement...

"God always connects obedience with blessing, even when He does not sketch out the full details of what that blessing may be."

Genesis 12:1 Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:

TimothyGirl

Jul 19, 2019
Methinks that’s a weighty statement worth contemplating… so I did… and this is what I thought…

Obedience invites blessing; it’s written all over God’s Word and we cannot deny that. But the form of the blessing… well, that can often be missed.

Let’s consider your example, Abraham, for a moment. Being obedient to God meant leaving everything and everyone he knew. I can’t imagine that was an easy thing to do (in fact, experience tells me exactly what that was like :oops:). It would have invited the lashing of tongues from those around him, it would have invited confusion, reproach, and broken relationships. It would have invited death and separation. When God calls us to be obedient, it always involves a form of the Cross in our lives. That’s why Abraham can be commended for his faith: he looked beyond the death that he was required to face and to the Resurrection that God had promised.

When Abraham first set out, it couldn’t have felt like blessing. Wherever he went, he encountered hardship, famine, fights and squabbles... obedience required him to leave his well-established home in “the City” (Ur of the Chaldeans – the height of civilization in his time) and wander around in the deserts like a nomad…

When I thought about your statement, I saw how carnal I am: how I immediately interpreted “blessing” into a physical thing. There are many instances in my life where I have had to go to the Cross, so to speak, to be obedient, and my experience has not been “blessing” in return. But that is because my expectation of ‘blessing’ misses the mark. I expected wealth and prosperity – a physical reward (I’m not saying that there is no such thing, but rather it’s about more than that to God).

When I reflect on both my own life and the life of our father Abraham, I see God’s blessing is not richness of possessions as much as richness of soul. That the journey felt like death, but transformed me/him into a different person altogether. Was Abraham’s blessing his riches and his wealth? From what I’ve studied and been told, he already was quite the wealthy man before he set out. Prosperity was one of the signs of the blessing, but it was not the blessing itself. The blessing that God have Abraham was so much more than that. “Blessing I will bless you and multiplying I will multiply you.”

So back to your statement, Oyster:

“God always connects obedience with blessing, even when He does not sketch out the full details of what that blessing may be.”

I am blessed and encouraged to be reminded of that today. To be reassured obedience will invoke blessing upon your life, even when that blessing is not what you originally thought it to be. In my opinion, the blessing that God intends to endow upon us is ultimately to conform us to the image of Christ – to manifest His character and form patience, kindness, love, forgiveness, longsuffering etc. in our lives – and when Christ has been formed, all the other ‘signs’ of the blessing will follow.

“If He has given us His Son, will He not with Him, freely give us all things?”
Romans 8:32

God sees the long-term. We grow discouraged because our eyes are set on the short term, which often looks like the Cross. Let’s lift our eyes to the horizon and see the Blessing that is waiting for us there!

Thanks for the food for thought, Oyster!
Blessings from afar off!

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
3¶Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

All this after 'believing 'the gospel . Amazing .

Oct 19, 2020
From deep sorrows to great tragedy, from moments of pure joy to over elation, [Blessing] are birthed from God in many situations. We really never know where the [Blessing] took place at if we never [Look] back to see where and what God has brought us through.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
blessing might not always be physical reward, but just favour from God, like time with Him, and encouraging words. When Jacob 'stole' Esaus blessing, it was Isaac giving him the birthright that was meant for Esau.

Esau still got A blessing, but not the one he already gave to Jacob. Then again, Esau didnt think much of his birthright which was why it was easy for him to give away.

So Im not so sure that obedience always means blessing because Jacob wasnt really that obedient when you examine his life, he wanted what he wanted and didnt always do what his dad wanted him to do. He was blessed anyway as he couldnt give back that blessing.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Jesus also said bless those who curse you!

Im thinking if we are blessed to be a blessing, we not always doing good to those who like us or were obedient. We are blessing those who hate us and persecute us as well, who are disobedient and unthankful. Its harder, yes, but it shows that Gods love is so much greater.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Jesus also said bless those who curse you!
This is about where I now am in my spiritual walk with the Lord. What Jesus said is very hard to do but what is impossible for us is possible with God. I fully agree with your spiritual position in this regard.

Feb 28, 2016
Methinks that’s a weighty statement worth contemplating… so I did… and this is what I thought…

Obedience invites blessing; it’s written all over God’s Word and we cannot deny that. But the form of the blessing… well, that can often be missed.

Let’s consider your example, Abraham, for a moment. Being obedient to God meant leaving everything and everyone he knew. I can’t imagine that was an easy thing to do (in fact, experience tells me exactly what that was like :oops:). It would have invited the lashing of tongues from those around him, it would have invited confusion, reproach, and broken relationships. It would have invited death and separation. When God calls us to be obedient, it always involves a form of the Cross in our lives. That’s why Abraham can be commended for his faith: he looked beyond the death that he was required to face and to the Resurrection that God had promised.

When Abraham first set out, it couldn’t have felt like blessing. Wherever he went, he encountered hardship, famine, fights and squabbles... obedience required him to leave his well-established home in “the City” (Ur of the Chaldeans – the height of civilization in his time) and wander around in the deserts like a nomad…

When I thought about your statement, I saw how carnal I am: how I immediately interpreted “blessing” into a physical thing. There are many instances in my life where I have had to go to the Cross, so to speak, to be obedient, and my experience has not been “blessing” in return. But that is because my expectation of ‘blessing’ misses the mark. I expected wealth and prosperity – a physical reward (I’m not saying that there is no such thing, but rather it’s about more than that to God).

When I reflect on both my own life and the life of our father Abraham, I see God’s blessing is not richness of possessions as much as richness of soul. That the journey felt like death, but transformed me/him into a different person altogether. Was Abraham’s blessing his riches and his wealth? From what I’ve studied and been told, he already was quite the wealthy man before he set out. Prosperity was one of the signs of the blessing, but it was not the blessing itself. The blessing that God have Abraham was so much more than that. “Blessing I will bless you and multiplying I will multiply you.”

So back to your statement, Oyster:

“God always connects obedience with blessing, even when He does not sketch out the full details of what that blessing may be.”

I am blessed and encouraged to be reminded of that today. To be reassured obedience will invoke blessing upon your life, even when that blessing is not what you originally thought it to be. In my opinion, the blessing that God intends to endow upon us is ultimately to conform us to the image of Christ – to manifest His character and form patience, kindness, love, forgiveness, longsuffering etc. in our lives – and when Christ has been formed, all the other ‘signs’ of the blessing will follow.

“If He has given us His Son, will He not with Him, freely give us all things?”
Romans 8:32

God sees the long-term. We grow discouraged because our eyes are set on the short term, which often looks like the Cross. Let’s lift our eyes to the horizon and see the Blessing that is waiting for us there!

Thanks for the food for thought, Oyster!
Blessings from afar off!
=====================================
TG,
your insights and discernments were very well receive by hub and myself - your experiences speak of a repentant heart,
and a heart that truly Loves our Saviour - you are blessed!!!
TY for sharing such intimate, heartfelt Love!!!
we send you our Love and pray peace and comfort and grace from our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ... -

SHOUT OUT to OYSTER for the inspiration!!!

TimothyGirl

Jul 19, 2019
TG,
your insights and discernments were very well receive by hub and myself - your experiences speak of a repentant heart,
we send you our Love and pray peace and comfort and grace from our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ... -

Thanks for your heart-warming response, Oldethennew :) It's never easy to take what's precious to you and put it out for the public eye to see, but when inspired I run with it in the hope that it would meet one or two people and bring encouragement and light - something we could all do with more often than not! The walk of obedience is never easy, but it is always rewarding :)
Thank you for your love and prayers, and may it be returned upon you!
TG

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
'Blessings' was the topic for a recent devotion. Tell me what you think of this statement...

"God always connects obedience with blessing, even when He does not sketch out the full details of what that blessing maybe."

Genesis 12:1 Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:
It seems like this quote is good! I would agree on the basis that Abraham obeyed because of his Circumcised Heart. Because of his Spiritual Circumcision, he was enabled [so that] he could, and would, obey. What Abraham and other Holy men and women had received, this Holy and Spiritual Circumcision is the same Circumcision that Ezekiel recorded for the Lord. The below story is absolutely stunning . . .

Ezekiel 36:25-27 KJV - "Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them."

This Circumcision happened to Abrahm at some point in his life . . . perhaps from within the womb, for his heart always seemed to be for the Lord. But it is this Circumcision that we are to obtain, as Paul explains . . .

Romans 4:11-12 NLT - "Circumcision was a sign that Abraham already had faith and that God had already accepted him and declared him to be righteous--even before he was circumcised. So Abraham is the spiritual father of those who have faith but have not been circumcised. They are counted as righteous because of their faith. And Abraham is also the spiritual father of those who have been circumcised, but only if they have the same kind of faith Abraham had before he was circumcised."

Beleive it or not, we actually have a description of what this Spiritual Circumcision looks like . . . and it is unbelievable (choose your favorite translation - they're all amazing):

Colossians 2:10-15 NLT - "So you also are complete through your union with Christ, who is the head over every ruler and authority. When you came to Christ, you were "circumcised," but not by a physical procedure. Christ performed a spiritual circumcision--the cutting away of your sinful nature. For you were buried with Christ when you were baptized. And with him you were raised to new life because you trusted the mighty power of God, who raised Christ from the dead. You were dead because of your sins and because your sinful nature was not yet cut away. Then God made you alive with Christ, for he forgave all our sins. He canceled the record of the charges against us and took it away by nailing it to the cross. In this way, he disarmed the spiritual rulers and authorities. He shamed them publicly by his victory over them on the cross."

So it is on this basis, of having the Nature removed by Christ that causes us to habitually disobey beyond self-control. And once this Sinful Nature is cut out and removed, that person escapes the corruption of the world by now, sharing in the Divine Nature of Jesus Christ of Nazareth.

2 Peter 1:4 NLT - "And because of his glory and excellence, he has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share his divine nature and escape the world's corruption caused by human desires."

Enabled to obey . . . the most Loving thing our Lord can do for us. And he does this through the Holy Operation of Faith . . . by the Spiritual Hands of Jesus. The greatest Blessing that can be given is to receive the lifting of a corrupt mind, for it is by shedding this corruption that we are allowed to enter the gates of Heaven, having been Gifted the Eternal Holy Spirit as the Deposit Who Guarantees our Holy Inheritance.

Like I suggested . . . it's an unbelievable story.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
TG,

I am onboard with you oldethennew. Oyster and TimothyGirl both did well with their reports. Especially Abraham's example, talk about hardship.

I find the blessings are for now physically, and spiritually in heaven. It takes hindsight to see just how we are physically blessed. Despite many times of uncertainty, I have seen God supply me and even spoil me a little. Of course, it makes no difference if He gives me lasting riches while still on earth. Our true wealth is in heaven and Christ will bring it when He comes.

We need a Smyrna church of martyrs. Christ said: Rev. 2:9: "I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan." They were rich and poor at the same time, like me. :cool:(y)

TimothyGirl

Jul 19, 2019
It seems like this quote is good! I would agree on the basis that Abraham obeyed because of his Circumcised Heart. Because of his Spiritual Circumcision, he was enabled [so that] he could, and would, obey. What Abraham and other Holy men and women had received, this Holy and Spiritual Circumcision is the same Circumcision that Ezekiel recorded for the Lord. The below story is absolutely stunning . . .

Excellent write up, 2TG, I really enjoyed reading your insights - food for thought indeed :)

As we build up to Easter I've been dwelling a lot on that line of thought - like it says in Romans 6:

Therefore we were buried with Him through Baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we should walk in newness of life...
Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should OBEY it in its lusts.
(vs 4,11,12 - NKJV :))

I like the way you have rightfully termed it "Circumcision of the heart". It's easy to get very technical with a topic like this, which I hope to avoid as it can get wordy. But yes, it seems it all boils down to FAITH in what Christ has done for us. Do we really believe that Jesus has set us free from our sinful nature?

It seems to me, keeping in line with the topic of this thread, that we will either obey God through faith (Even as I write that, I am daunted by the weight of that statement. It's not glib, but loaded, involving a lifetime and 'crucifying one's self to this world' - Gal. 6:14) and reap blessing, or we will obey our flesh in its lusts because we have not truly laid hold of and comprehended the implications of the Cross. (Oh boy! We've found ourselves in deep waters here... lots of chewing involved!! :oops:)

It's Romans 8:5-6 that I'm thinking of as I write the above:

For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, [set their minds on] the things of the Spirit.
For to be carnally (fleshly) minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

Which unintentionally takes me to the next statement which I was going to make, where I was going to say that the battle we face is no longer against the flesh (Jesus fought that battle for us) as much as it is WITH OUR MINDS...

What is our mindset? Are we dwelling on ourselves, our weaknesses, our cravings? Or are we dwelling on the TRUTH of our lives: the Word of God? Have we FRAMED OUR MINDS with this truth? Are actively pursuing it with all our hearts?

Reading on from one of the Scriptures you quoted in Colossians, in view of the circumcision we've taken on through baptism - the true circumcision, not of flesh, but of the heart, Paul goes on to say,

"IF THEN you were RAISED WITH CHRIST, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God.
SET YOUR MIND on things above NOT on things on the earth.
(Col. 3:1-2)

Our biggest trouble in our walk with the Lord stems from what we SET our minds to; what we tune in to -- like a radio or a TV set. Have we tuned ourselves in to God's Word, or have we tuned ourselves in to the basic principles of the world? Have we ARMED OUR MINDS with the TRUTH, that we have DIED to this world and the things in it and we LIVE TO GOD now?

"If you ABIDE in My Word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall KNOW THE TRUTH, and the TRUTH shall make you free."
John 8:31-32

Abide, Strongs G3306, meno:
to STAY (in a given place, state, relation or expectancy)
Abide, continue, DWELL,
endure, be present, remain, stand, tarry

When we ABIDE in, or consistently dwell on the WORD OF GOD, that's when we start KNOWING THE TRUTH, and that TRUTH sets us free.
Oh give us a hunger for your Word, Lord!! Teach us to dwell there like David did! Teach us to LOVE YOUR WORD and take it to heart; and allow that Word to transform our minds!!

Shall I quote it just because I can? Because it's honey to my hungry soul?

And DO NOT BE conformed to the world, but be TRANSFORMED by the RENEWING OF YOUR MIND [by the washing of the water by the WORD! - Eph. 5:26], that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect WILL OF GOD.
Romans 12:2

I feel as though I have come full circle in writing this.
Oyster started with a statement about how "God always connects obedience with blessing..."

2TG, you spoke about how we cannot be obedient without the circumcision of the heart (putting your faith in Jesus and passing through the waters of Baptism-- identifying with the death of Christ and accepting that we are a NEW CREATION).

And here, as I merely expand on what you have written, we see that it is when we consistently dwell on the Word (which is the very Nature of Christ Himself - and a mirror of the TRUTH of who we are because of Him) - that we, like Romans 12 says, learn to know what the will of God is so that we can walk in obedience to it. (I hope I'm making sense here!) And we live in the fullness of the Blessing of Abraham!

Lord, I want to live this life! I want to part with my worldy mindset and TAKE ON YOUR WORD as my very constitution as it is Yours! Give us understanding! Teach us how to walk in your ways and SET US FREE to walk in the FULNESS of what you have purchased for us!

(Sorry I got carried away there... :oops: But I enjoyed myself whilst doing it :))
Thanks for fueling my mind with the ingredients, 2TG!

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
Excellent write up, 2TG, I really enjoyed reading your insights - food for thought indeed :)

As we build up to Easter I've been dwelling a lot on that line of thought - like it says in Romans 6:

Therefore we were buried with Him through Baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we should walk in newness of life...
Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should OBEY it in its lusts.
(vs 4,11,12 - NKJV :))

I like the way you have rightfully termed it "Circumcision of the heart". It's easy to get very technical with a topic like this, which I hope to avoid as it can get wordy. But yes, it seems it all boils down to FAITH in what Christ has done for us. Do we really believe that Jesus has set us free from our sinful nature?

It seems to me, keeping in line with the topic of this thread, that we will either obey God through faith (Even as I write that, I am daunted by the weight of that statement. It's not glib, but loaded, involving a lifetime and 'crucifying one's self to this world' - Gal. 6:14) and reap blessing, or we will obey our flesh in its lusts because we have not truly laid hold of and comprehended the implications of the Cross. (Oh boy! We've found ourselves in deep waters here... lots of chewing involved!! :oops:)

It's Romans 8:5-6 that I'm thinking of as I write the above:

For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, [set their minds on] the things of the Spirit.
For to be carnally (fleshly) minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

Which unintentionally takes me to the next statement which I was going to make, where I was going to say that the battle we face is no longer against the flesh (Jesus fought that battle for us) as much as it is WITH OUR MINDS...

What is our mindset? Are we dwelling on ourselves, our weaknesses, our cravings? Or are we dwelling on the TRUTH of our lives: the Word of God? Have we FRAMED OUR MINDS with this truth? Are actively pursuing it with all our hearts?

Reading on from one of the Scriptures you quoted in Colossians, in view of the circumcision we've taken on through baptism - the true circumcision, not of flesh, but of the heart, Paul goes on to say,

"IF THEN you were RAISED WITH CHRIST, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God.
SET YOUR MIND on things above NOT on things on the earth.
(Col. 3:1-2)

Our biggest trouble in our walk with the Lord stems from what we SET our minds to; what we tune in to -- like a radio or a TV set. Have we tuned ourselves in to God's Word, or have we tuned ourselves in to the basic principles of the world? Have we ARMED OUR MINDS with the TRUTH, that we have DIED to this world and the things in it and we LIVE TO GOD now?

"If you ABIDE in My Word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall KNOW THE TRUTH, and the TRUTH shall make you free."

to STAY (in a given place, state, relation, or expectancy)
Abide, continue, DWELL,

When we ABIDE in, or consistently dwell on the WORD OF GOD, that's when we start KNOWING THE TRUTH, and that TRUTH sets us free.
Oh, give us a hunger for your Word, Lord!! Teach us to dwell there like David did! Teach us to LOVE YOUR WORD and take it to heart, and allow that Word to transform our minds!!

Shall I quote it just because I can? Because it's honey to my hungry soul?

And DO NOT BE conformed to the world, but be TRANSFORMED by the RENEWING OF YOUR MIND [by the washing of the water by the WORD! - Eph. 5:26], that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect WILL OF GOD.
Romans 12:2

I feel as though I have come full circle in writing this.
Oyster started with a statement about how "God always connects obedience with blessing..."

2TG, you spoke about how we cannot be obedient without the circumcision of the heart (putting your faith in Jesus and passing through the waters of Baptism-- identifying with the death of Christ and accepting that we are a NEW CREATION).

And here, as I merely expand on what you have written, we see that it is when we consistently dwell on the Word (which is the very Nature of Christ Himself - and a mirror of the TRUTH of who we are because of Him) - that we, like Romans 12 says, learn to know what the will of God is so that we can walk in obedience to it. (I hope I'm making sense here!) And we live in the fullness of the Blessing of Abraham!

Lord, I want to live this life! I want to part with my worldly mindset and TAKE ON YOUR WORD as my very constitution as it is Yours! Give us understanding! Teach us how to walk in your ways and SET US FREE to walk in the FULNESS of what you have purchased for us!

(Sorry I got carried away there... :oops: But I enjoyed myself whilst doing it :))
Thanks for fueling my mind with the ingredients, 2TG!
Outstanding, TG! - I was most happy to see what you've written. Nice! :)

B

Blackpowderduelist

Agree as long as you know what obedience to God actually is.
For example there are many here who say very legalistic stuff. It's not sacrifice that God desires, but a repentant soul. So being obedient is not giving X amount of dollars or only going to church on Saturday and other such outward acts. Obedience is a contrite and repentant soul, or as Jesus explained in the sermon on the mountain, poor in spirit, hunger and thirst for righteousness, meekness, ...you get the point. These are not out ward action driven my moralist ideology. They are the conditions of a repentant person, a person, who well knows the weight of sin and need for mercy, and trusts Jesus for his mercy and grace.

B

Blackpowderduelist

Consider the woman at Jesus feet who wept and poured the spikenard on him, there was no command to do so, she was blessed. All those who thought it abhorent for one reason or another were rebuked. She was obedient and the others disobedient. She was repentant they were full of themselves.

oyster67

May 24, 2014

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Agree as long as you know what obedience to God actually is.
For example there are many here who say very legalistic stuff. It's not sacrifice that God desires, but a repentant soul. So being obedient is not giving X amount of dollars or only going to church on Saturday and other such outward acts. Obedience is a contrite and repentant soul, or as Jesus explained in the sermon on the mountain, poor in spirit, hunger and thirst for righteousness, meekness, ...you get the point. These are not out ward action driven my moralist ideology. They are the conditions of a repentant person, a person, who well knows the weight of sin and need for mercy, and trusts Jesus for his mercy and grace.
Amen.

Obedience is doing this...

Matthew
22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
22:39 And the second [is] like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Obedience is trusting Him and living by faith (not just mentally consenting that it is the right thing to do).

Galatians 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, [it is] evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

oyster67

May 24, 2014

to STAY (in a given place, state, relation or expectancy)
Abide, continue, DWELL,
Let us seek to grow in Him by letting Him grow in us... every day dig a little deeper in that well!

He is the Great Grower of Souls!