Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Cee

May 14, 2010
Colossians 2:14 - Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross.

Ephesians 2:15 - Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace.

"He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenantnot of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills...the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone...the ministry that condemns" (2 Corinthians 3:6-9).

The law on our heart and mind is the love of the Spirit, not the law of the letter. This is why Paul tells us that the new covenant is a covenant of the Spirit, and not of the letter.

The moral principles of 9 of the 10 commandments are reiterated under the New Covenant, yet the command to keep the Sabbath day is not binding on Christians under the New Covenant.

1. You shall have no other gods before Me. - Acts 14:15
2. You shall make no idols. - 1 John 5:21
3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain. - James 5:12
4. Keep the Sabbath day holy. - Not binding on the Church - Colossians 2:16-17
5. Honor your father and your mother. - Ephesians 6:1-2
6. You shall not murder. - Romans 13:9-10; 1 John 3:15
7. You shall not commit adultery. - Romans 13:9-10; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10
8. You shall not steal. - Romans 13:9-10; Ephesians 4:28
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. - Romans 13:9-10; Colossians 3:9-10
10. You shall not covet. - Romans 13:9-10; Ephesians 5:3
I personally believe Jesus is our Sabbath. And I have written extensive posts about it, lol.

Hebrews says diligently strive for rest, so now Sabbath isn’t a day we observe, it’s a continual reality we abide in.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
I personally believe Jesus is our Sabbath. And I have written extensive posts about it, lol.

Hebrews says diligently strive for rest, so now Sabbath isn’t a day we observe, it’s a continual reality we abide in.
Yes, in Hebrews 4:9, we read - So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God.

Here the Sabbath rest is the perpetual rest to be enjoyed uninterruptedly by believers in their fellowship with Jesus Christ, in contrast to keeping the weekly seventh day Sabbath under the Law.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
I will leave it there. The congregation in the early church was Jewish and there was a whole heap of debate about the law. I feel sorry for Paul having to contend with all that. :)

However, I do feel the Ten Commandments can be kept.

1. You shall have no other gods before Me. - Acts 14:15
2. You shall make no idols. - 1 John 5:21
3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain. - James 5:12
4. Keep the Sabbath day holy. - Not binding on the Church - Colossians 2:16-17
5. Honor your father and your mother. - Ephesians 6:1-2
6. You shall not murder. - Romans 13:9-10; 1 John 3:15
7. You shall not commit adultery. - Romans 13:9-10; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10
8. You shall not steal. - Romans 13:9-10; Ephesians 4:28
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. - Romans 13:9-10; Colossians 3:9-10
10. You shall not covet. - Romans 13:9-10; Ephesians 5:3

Last edited:

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
I believe what Paul mean by handwriting ordinance in this verse is explain in verse 16.seem to me verse 16 explain verse 14

14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,

PS

Jan 11, 2013
I believe what Paul mean by handwriting ordinance in this verse is explain in verse 16.seem to me verse 16 explain verse 14

14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
It is about the handwriting of ordinances. The commandments were written in stone by the finger of God, while the handwritten ordinances are the 613 Mitzvot Laws that were handwritten by the scribes. It is these that were nailed to the cross and with them our sins were gone including the sins of my own forefathers who conquered much of the world and became rich from the slave trade, providing of course they came to God in repentance. The Ten Commandments are for all time and were enlarged by Jesus.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
It is about the handwriting of ordinances. The commandments were written in stone by the finger of God, while the handwritten ordinances are the 613 Mitzvot Laws that were handwritten by the scribes. It is these that were nailed to the cross and with them our sins were gone including the sins of my own forefathers who conquered much of the world and became rich from the slave trade, providing of course they came to God in repentance. The Ten Commandments are for all time and were enlarged by Jesus.
i believe 10 commandment is handwriting ordinance, because it is handwriting by God hand

and Jesus himself said all law hang on love. Whos ever wrote 10 commandment is a law

[h=1]Matthew 22:40 King James Version (KJV)[/h]40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

all 15 years kid must go to room 20

mean all 15 year kid it doesn't matter boy or girl, skinny or fat, etc

PS

Jan 11, 2013
i believe 10 commandment is handwriting ordinance, because it is handwriting by God hand

and Jesus himself said all law hang on love. Whos ever wrote 10 commandment is a law

Matthew 22:40 King James Version (KJV)

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

all 15 years kid must go to room 20

mean all 15 year kid it doesn't matter boy or girl, skinny or fat, etc
Are you saying the Ten Commandments that forbid things like idol worship, having other gods, and murder were nailed to the cross?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Are you saying the Ten Commandments that forbid things like idol worship, having other gods, and murder were nailed to the cross?
That would be a very serious misunderstanding. That would be similar to putting the laws of the land in a gallows or an electric chair while the criminal looks on. Absurd.

The Ten Commandments ( as well as all the commandments and ordinances given by God) have been violated (and are being violated) by sinners. But there is a just judgment and a just punishment which follows those violations. The judgments were the "handwriting of ordinances" "contrary to" us (or against us, or a declaration of our misdeeds and sins). And those guilty verdicts were nailed to the Cross.

Cee

May 14, 2010
The commandments were written in stone by the finger of God, while the handwritten ordinances are the 613 Mitzvot Laws that were handwritten by the scribes.
​You mean these commandments written in stone?

2 Co 3:7 Now if the ministry of death, carved in letters on stone, came with such glory that the Israelites could not gaze at Moses’ face because of its glory, which was being brought to an end....

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Yes it nail on the cross, it fulfill by

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

this is the real law, OT is shadow of this. Now we do not worship idol not because under ot law, but because under New Covenant if you love the Lord with all your heart as verse 37 above, automatically you not worship idol

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
That would be a very serious misunderstanding. That would be similar to putting the laws of the land in a gallows or an electric chair while the criminal looks on. Absurd.

The Ten Commandments ( as well as all the commandments and ordinances given by God) have been violated (and are being violated) by sinners. But there is a just judgment and a just punishment which follows those violations. The judgments were the "handwriting of ordinances" "contrary to" us (or against us, or a declaration of our misdeeds and sins). And those guilty verdicts were nailed to the Cross.
So you believe the guilty verdict nail on the cross, now if you worship idol not go to hell?

so worship idol is forbid but no punishment?

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
What have you got to lose?
If your wrong and we should be obeying the whole law (all 10) you will not be one of the people talked about here....Rev_12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ. Rev_14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

If you are right than you will have no issue.

If i'm wrong and obey all 10 when i don't need to obey the 4th one, but i'm doing all for same motive, i have nothing to fear.

But if i'm right, i will have no issue.

The issue is the one that involves disobedience, that's when you lose. 1Jn_2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
Col 2:15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
Col 2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

How is the weekly Sabbath a shadow of things to come? How is the weekly Sabbath against us?

It makes sense when you apply this to the ceremonial sabbaths and the ordinances that where a shadow of Christ, but to apply it to the weekly Sabbath is twisted.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
Yes it nail on the cross, it fulfill by

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

this is the real law, OT is shadow of this. Now we do not worship idol not because under ot law, but because under New Covenant if you love the Lord with all your heart as verse 37 above, automatically you not worship idol
Jesus fulfilled what was written by the Old Testament prophets.

PS

Jan 11, 2013

​You mean these commandments written in stone?

2 Co 3:7 Now if the ministry of death, carved in letters on stone, came with such glory that the Israelites could not gaze at Moses’ face because of its glory, which was being brought to an end....
..... how much greater is the glory that belongs to the activity of the Spirit that brings salvation!

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
Deu 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:
Deu 6:5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
Deu 6:6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:

This is not a new testament law. if we obey it we will obey the Sabbath law?

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
Rom 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
Rom 7:10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
Rom 7:11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.
Rom 7:12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.
Rom 7:13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.
Rom 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Are you walking in the Spirit?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
This sounds as though someone thinks himself capable of rescinding God's Word, even blot out His very Handwritten Words without learning about all from the Gospel, that is emplying mercy justice and faith.

It is true the law is fulfilled by Jesus Christ, attention, it says "by Jesus Christ." In this alone it behooves all who think they know how the law, statutes and ordinances are to be understood today to learn directly from the Master (Teacher), Jesus Chrisst.

He has gone to all t he trouble to invite all to learn of Him.......doing it makes any burden of learning light.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
So you believe the guilty verdict nail on the cross, now if you worship idol not go to hell? so worship idol is forbid but no punishment?
Jackson,

You seem to be forgetting something. While Christ paid the full penalty for all our sins (based on the guilty verdicts), the Atonement is only effective for those who obey the Gospel. And obedience to the Gospel means repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ. Repentance means TURNING AWAY from all sins and idols. So idol worshipers stop worshiping idols when they believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and are born again. They die to their old ways of life, and walk in "newness of life".

For from you sounded out the word of the Lord not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but also in every place your faith to God-ward is spread abroad; so that we need not to speak any thing. For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God; And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead,even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come. (1 Thess 1:8-10)

Last edited:

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
What have you got to lose?
If your wrong and we should be obeying the whole law (all 10) you will not be one of the people talked about here....Rev_12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ. Rev_14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

If you are right than you will have no issue.

If i'm wrong and obey all 10 when i don't need to obey the 4th one, but i'm doing all for same motive, i have nothing to fear.

But if i'm right, i will have no issue.

The issue is the one that involves disobedience, that's when you lose. 1Jn_2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
Wich commandment of God ? There are commandment for Israel before crucifixion and there are commandment for us after crucifixion

example animal sacrifice is commandment of God, we do not need to do it, if we do it, mean we are insulting the sacrificed of Jesus in the cross, insulting Jesus is not keep the commandment of God, it is against the commandment

10 commandment has been fulfill by Jesus

This is the fulfillment

matt 22.

​now if you want to save, you want to keep the commandment of God, Jesus say, do this.