Book of Ezekiel

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

persistent

I heard a preacher on tv say the book of Ezekiel is mostly "end time prophecy". What could end time mean? I have heard some say end time means after the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem 70 A.D. and I think I heard some others say the time we are now living in and I think I heard another say sometime around 1870 started end time. So what gives here? I know there are verses that tell us not to listen to a lot of these wanna be prophets. Right? It may be that I also read the commentary of Albert Barnes on Bible Hub concerning the book of Ezekiel and he states that the time it was written was very close to the time of the first destruction of the temple at Jerusalem. I think this is the reason that this book is considered prophetic for "end time"

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I heard a preacher on tv say the book of Ezekiel is mostly "end time prophecy". What could end time mean? I have heard some say end time means after the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem 70 A.D. and I think I heard some others say the time we are now living in and I think I heard another say sometime around 1870 started end time. So what gives here? I know there are verses that tell us not to listen to a lot of these wanna be prophets. Right? It may be that I also read the commentary of Albert Barnes on Bible Hub concerning the book of Ezekiel and he states that the time it was written was very close to the time of the first destruction of the temple at Jerusalem. I think this is the reason that this book is considered prophetic for "end time"
Ezekiel is an awesome awesome book as well as zechariah look at it in light of the things Jesus and the apostles said afterwards the things that Jesus did in his life and said and then what e apostles revealed after that

one cool thing is this

“Now it came to pass in the thirtieth year, in the fourth month, in the fifth day of the month, as I was among the captives by the river of Chebar, that the heavens were opened, and I saw visions of God. ( Ezekiel is on earth looking up into heaven )

And I looked, and, behold, a whirlwind came out of the north, a great cloud, and a fire infolding itself, and a brightness was about it, and out of the midst thereof as the colour of amber, out of the midst of the fire. Also out of the midst thereof came the likeness of four living creatures.

And this was their appearance; they had the likeness of a man. And every one had four faces, and every one had four wings. As for the likeness of their faces, they four had the face of a man, and the face of a lion, on the right side: and they four had the face of an ox ( calf ) on the left side; they four also had the face of an eagle.

And the likeness of the firmament upon the heads of the living creature was as the colour of the terrible crystal, stretched forth over their heads above. ( he’s looking up seeing a crystal like firmament above him and below the throne )

And above the firmament that was over their heads was the likeness of a throne, as the appearance of a sapphire stone: and upon the likeness of the throne was the likeness as the appearance of a man above upon it.

And I saw as the colour of amber, as the appearance of fire round about within it, from the appearance of his loins even upward, and from the appearance of his loins even downward, I saw as it were the appearance of fire, and it had brightness round about. As the appearance of the bow that is in the cloud in the day of rain, so was the appearance of the brightness round about.

This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. And when I saw it, I fell upon my face, and I heard a voice of one that spake.”
‭‭Ezekiel‬ ‭1:1, 4-6, 10, 22, 26-

now revelation when John is taken up from earth into heaven

“After this I looked, and, behold, a door was opened in heaven: and the first voice which I heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will shew thee things which must be hereafter.

And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne. And he that sat was to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone: and there was a rainbow round about the throne, in sight like unto an emerald.

And before the throne there was a sea of glass like unto crystal: ( he is now above the firmament in heaven looking down so it looks like a crystal sea spread out before the throne )

and in the midst of the throne, and round about the throne, were four beasts full of eyes before and behind. And the first beast was like a lion, and the second beast like a calf, and the third beast had a face as a man, and the fourth beast was like a flying eagle.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭4:1-3, 6-7‬ ‭KJV‬

If you look further into Ezekiel you see a change in the four creatures at Gods throne

“Then I looked, and, behold, in the firmament that was above the head of the cherubims there appeared over them as it were a sapphire stone, as the appearance of the likeness of a throne.

And it came to pass, that when he had commanded the man clothed with linen, ( high priest ) saying, Take fire from between the wheels, from between the cherubims; then he went in, and stood beside the wheels.

And their whole body, and their backs, and their hands, and their wings, and the wheels, were full of eyes round about, even the wheels that they four had. And every one had four faces: the first face was the face of a cherub, and the second face was the face of a man, and the third the face of a lion, and the fourth the face of an eagle.

And the cherubims were lifted up. This is the living creature that I saw by the river of Chebar. ( chapter 1) When they stood, these stood; and when they were lifted up, these lifted up themselves also: for the spirit of the living creature was in them. Then the glory of the LORD departed from off the threshold of the house, and stood over the cherubims. This is the living creature that I saw under the God of Israel by the river of Chebar; and I knew that they were the cherubims.

Every one had four faces apiece, and every one four wings; and the likeness of the hands of a man was under their wings. And the likeness of their faces was the same faces which I saw by the river of Chebar, their appearances and themselves: they went every one straight forward.”
‭‭Ezekiel‬ ‭10:1, 6, 12, 14-15, 17-18, 20-22‬

If you look even further you find out Ezekiel sees the heavenly kingdom also just as John had but from a distant perspective John was closer and saw more clear details

like the city John sees in revelation 21

“In the visions of God brought he me into the land of Israel, and set me upon a very high mountain, by which was as the frame of a city on the south. And he brought me thither, and, behold, there was a man, whose appearance was like the appearance of brass, with a line of flax in his hand, and a measuring reed; and he stood in the gate.

And the man said unto me, Son of man, behold with thine eyes, and hear with thine ears, and set thine heart upon all that I shall shew thee; for to the intent that I might shew them unto thee art thou brought hither: declare all that thou seest to the house of Israel.”
‭‭Ezekiel‬ ‭40:2-4‬ ‭KJV‬‬

remember this part

“And there was given me a reed like unto a rod: and the angel stood, saying, Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭11:1‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Those ot prophets open up our eyes preparing us to understand revelation

“Then answered I, and said unto him, What are these two olive trees upon the right side of the candlestick and upon the left side thereof? And I answered again, and said unto him, What be these two olive branches which through the two golden pipes empty the golden oil out of themselves?

And he answered me and said, Knowest thou not what these be? And I said, No, my Lord. Then said he, These are the two anointed ones, that stand by the Lord of the whole earth.”
‭‭Zechariah‬ ‭4:11-14‬ ‭KJV‬‬

you can see what I mean John doesn’t actually see candlesticks but references what zechariah saw in revelation a continuing added understandkng until it becomes clear

These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭11:4‬ ‭KJV‬‬

is there any event in scripture where Jesus appears on earth with two men standing with him in glory ?

“And as he prayed, the fashion of his countenance was altered, and his raiment was white and glistering. And, behold, there talked with him two men, which were Moses and Elijah : who appeared in glory, and spake of his decease which he should accomplish at Jerusalem.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭9:29-31‬ ‭KJV‬‬

moses wrote the law which witnesses of Christ and Elijah is considered the king of prophets who would announce Christs first coming the prophets also are a witness of Christ and the gospel

“But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law ( Moses ) and the prophets;”( Elijah )
‭‭Romans‬ ‭3:21‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭24:44‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And when they had appointed him a day, there came many to him into his lodging; to whom he expounded and testified the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus, both out of the law of Moses, and out of the prophets, from morning till evening.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭28:23‬ ‭

“Having therefore obtained help of God, I continue unto this day, witnessing both to small and great, saying none other things than those which the prophets and Moses did say should come:”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭26:22‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.”
‭‭John‬ ‭5:46‬ ‭KJV‬‬

To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭10:43‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
End time is the time right before the return of Christ. The end of the age.. or the end of the time of the gentile

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
End time is the time right before the return of Christ. The end of the age.. or the end of the time of the gentile
remember that a thousand years to man may be as a day to God so the end times may last thousands of years but be just a couple days to God

“But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭3:8‬ ‭

God doesn’t see time like man does we might think thousands of years is a long time away , to God it’s right at the door. It’s why man can’t measire the day and hour of his return time isnt the same to God as us and he’s speaking from his view as we look from ours

“Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭10:11‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
It may be that I also read the commentary of Albert Barnes on Bible Hub concerning the book of Ezekiel...
Barnes is probably the last commentator you should consult. The book of Ezekiel spans the time from the Babylonian captivity to the establishment of the Millennial Kingdom.

Jesusfollower

Oct 21, 2021
jamaica

Jesusfollower

Oct 21, 2021
jamaica
Hint: Duality in prophecy....

Peace,
JF

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Keep your eyes on the Jews… God gave everything to them including the “Calendar.”

In September 2022, the Jewish Calendar changes to 5783… we’re closing in on the 6th Day…. Christ will reign on Earth for 1,000 years on the 7th Day which is just a little over 200 years from now….

Yep, we are in the end times… the 6th Day is almost over.

P

pottersclay

Keep your eyes on the Jews… God gave everything to them including the “Calendar.”

In September 2022, the Jewish Calendar changes to 5783… we’re closing in on the 6th Day…. Christ will reign on Earth for 1,000 years on the 7th Day which is just a little over 200 years from now….

I was about to post the same thing as you saint....praise GOD what a witness.
Many look at that thousand yr. Day to year saying in Peter and think that its a reference to God being outside of time. Not so ...its a clue.
Looking for the verses in the old testament now where God said he will raise israel up on the third day.
You hit the nail on the head.

P

pottersclay

Hosea 6:1-2
Hosea 6:1-2 Come, and let us return unto the LORD: for he hath torn, and he will heal us; he hath smitten, and he will bind us up.
After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight.

This is the prophecy promised to Israel....keep in mind ...to GOD Israel is also his son.
Jonah 3 days and nights
Jesus 3 days and nights
Israel will follow suit for a day to the lord is a thousand yrs and a thousand yrs as a day.

konroh

Sep 17, 2013
Why would the Jewish calendar be relevant for Christ returning? And why would 6000 years be significant? Why would the millennium be considered a sabbath day rest? Is the millennium all rest?

Looking to the Jewish calendar seems far too speculative and allegorical.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Why would the Jewish calendar be relevant for Christ returning? And why would 6000 years be significant? Why would the millennium be considered a sabbath day rest? Is the millennium all rest?

One may ask why is the pagan caLENDAR which replaced the calendar of God relevant? You truly wish to know why the Lunar calendar of the Bible is relevant, study the Bible.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Why would the Jewish calendar be relevant for Christ returning? Looking to the Jewish calendar seems far too speculative and allegorical.
Jesus Christ our Savior, Lord and King is also a Jew. He is our Jewish Messiah.

To truly understand Christ’s return, we need to understand all of God’s plans, dealings, purposes and relationship with Israel and the Jews.

God deals with mankind through the Jews… All nations of the Earth will be blessed through Abraham’s seed - NOT Ishmael but, Isaac which Jesus Christ the Savior came through.

And why would 6000 years be significant? Why would the millennium be considered a sabbath day rest? Is the millennium all rest?

God is in the middle of creating a new Heaven and a new Earth…. Creation takes 6 days then 1 day of rest. It’s important to know and understand the Calendar God gave to the Jews.

God has chosen for everything concerning us to come through the Jews because everything comes through Jesus Christ to us.

We are to bless Israel and love the Jewish people…. just like Ruth clinged to Naomi and loved her. :love:(y)

konroh

Sep 17, 2013
Of course Jesus is Jewish, and of course we should bless Israel, but that doesn't provide any evidence that Jesus' coming is going to follow the Jewish calendar or that He will come after 6000 years. Do you understand how there is no correlation there?

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
Ezekiel is an awesome awesome book as well as zechariah look at it in light of the things Jesus and the apostles said afterwards the things that Jesus did in his life and said and then what e apostles revealed after that

one cool thing is this

“Now it came to pass in the thirtieth year, in the fourth month, in the fifth day of the month, as I was among the captives by the river of Chebar, that the heavens were opened, and I saw visions of God. ( Ezekiel is on earth looking up into heaven )

And I looked, and, behold, a whirlwind came out of the north, a great cloud, and a fire infolding itself, and a brightness was about it, and out of the midst thereof as the colour of amber, out of the midst of the fire. Also out of the midst thereof came the likeness of four living creatures.

And this was their appearance; they had the likeness of a man. And every one had four faces, and every one had four wings. As for the likeness of their faces, they four had the face of a man, and the face of a lion, on the right side: and they four had the face of an ox ( calf ) on the left side; they four also had the face of an eagle.

And the likeness of the firmament upon the heads of the living creature was as the colour of the terrible crystal, stretched forth over their heads above. ( he’s looking up seeing a crystal like firmament above him and below the throne )

And above the firmament that was over their heads was the likeness of a throne, as the appearance of a sapphire stone: and upon the likeness of the throne was the likeness as the appearance of a man above upon it.

And I saw as the colour of amber, as the appearance of fire round about within it, from the appearance of his loins even upward, and from the appearance of his loins even downward, I saw as it were the appearance of fire, and it had brightness round about. As the appearance of the bow that is in the cloud in the day of rain, so was the appearance of the brightness round about.

This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. And when I saw it, I fell upon my face, and I heard a voice of one that spake.”
‭‭Ezekiel‬ ‭1:1, 4-6, 10, 22, 26-

now revelation when John is taken up from earth into heaven

“After this I looked, and, behold, a door was opened in heaven: and the first voice which I heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will shew thee things which must be hereafter.

And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne. And he that sat was to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone: and there was a rainbow round about the throne, in sight like unto an emerald.

And before the throne there was a sea of glass like unto crystal: ( he is now above the firmament in heaven looking down so it looks like a crystal sea spread out before the throne )

and in the midst of the throne, and round about the throne, were four beasts full of eyes before and behind. And the first beast was like a lion, and the second beast like a calf, and the third beast had a face as a man, and the fourth beast was like a flying eagle.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭4:1-3, 6-7‬ ‭KJV‬

If you look further into Ezekiel you see a change in the four creatures at Gods throne

“Then I looked, and, behold, in the firmament that was above the head of the cherubims there appeared over them as it were a sapphire stone, as the appearance of the likeness of a throne.

And it came to pass, that when he had commanded the man clothed with linen, ( high priest ) saying, Take fire from between the wheels, from between the cherubims; then he went in, and stood beside the wheels.

And their whole body, and their backs, and their hands, and their wings, and the wheels, were full of eyes round about, even the wheels that they four had. And every one had four faces: the first face was the face of a cherub, and the second face was the face of a man, and the third the face of a lion, and the fourth the face of an eagle.

And the cherubims were lifted up. This is the living creature that I saw by the river of Chebar. ( chapter 1) When they stood, these stood; and when they were lifted up, these lifted up themselves also: for the spirit of the living creature was in them. Then the glory of the LORD departed from off the threshold of the house, and stood over the cherubims. This is the living creature that I saw under the God of Israel by the river of Chebar; and I knew that they were the cherubims.

Every one had four faces apiece, and every one four wings; and the likeness of the hands of a man was under their wings. And the likeness of their faces was the same faces which I saw by the river of Chebar, their appearances and themselves: they went every one straight forward.”
‭‭Ezekiel‬ ‭10:1, 6, 12, 14-15, 17-18, 20-22‬

If you look even further you find out Ezekiel sees the heavenly kingdom also just as John had but from a distant perspective John was closer and saw more clear details

like the city John sees in revelation 21

“In the visions of God brought he me into the land of Israel, and set me upon a very high mountain, by which was as the frame of a city on the south. And he brought me thither, and, behold, there was a man, whose appearance was like the appearance of brass, with a line of flax in his hand, and a measuring reed; and he stood in the gate.

And the man said unto me, Son of man, behold with thine eyes, and hear with thine ears, and set thine heart upon all that I shall shew thee; for to the intent that I might shew them unto thee art thou brought hither: declare all that thou seest to the house of Israel.”
‭‭Ezekiel‬ ‭40:2-4‬ ‭KJV‬‬

remember this part

“And there was given me a reed like unto a rod: and the angel stood, saying, Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭11:1‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Those ot prophets open up our eyes preparing us to understand revelation

“Then answered I, and said unto him, What are these two olive trees upon the right side of the candlestick and upon the left side thereof? And I answered again, and said unto him, What be these two olive branches which through the two golden pipes empty the golden oil out of themselves?

And he answered me and said, Knowest thou not what these be? And I said, No, my Lord. Then said he, These are the two anointed ones, that stand by the Lord of the whole earth.”
‭‭Zechariah‬ ‭4:11-14‬ ‭KJV‬‬

you can see what I mean John doesn’t actually see candlesticks but references what zechariah saw in revelation a continuing added understandkng until it becomes clear

These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭11:4‬ ‭KJV‬‬

is there any event in scripture where Jesus appears on earth with two men standing with him in glory ?

“And as he prayed, the fashion of his countenance was altered, and his raiment was white and glistering. And, behold, there talked with him two men, which were Moses and Elijah : who appeared in glory, and spake of his decease which he should accomplish at Jerusalem.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭9:29-31‬ ‭KJV‬‬

moses wrote the law which witnesses of Christ and Elijah is considered the king of prophets who would announce Christs first coming the prophets also are a witness of Christ and the gospel

“But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law ( Moses ) and the prophets;”( Elijah )
‭‭Romans‬ ‭3:21‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭24:44‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And when they had appointed him a day, there came many to him into his lodging; to whom he expounded and testified the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus, both out of the law of Moses, and out of the prophets, from morning till evening.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭28:23‬ ‭

“Having therefore obtained help of God, I continue unto this day, witnessing both to small and great, saying none other things than those which the prophets and Moses did say should come:”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭26:22‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.”
‭‭John‬ ‭5:46‬ ‭KJV‬‬

To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭10:43‬ ‭KJV‬‬
A very good reply.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022

You reckon 200 years from today?

This planet will be fortunate to make it through another 50 years.

Mar 4, 2020
There's end times prophecies scattered all around the Old Testament. In Acts 2, Peter explained when the last days began and includes signs of the end times as mentioned in various places such as Isaiah 13, the Olivet Discourse, and Revelation 6 just to name some. The below quote in Acts 2 is actually from Joel 2:28-32.

Act 2:17-21
17“ ‘In the last days, God says,
I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your young men will see visions,
your old men will dream dreams.

18Even on my servants, both men and women,
I will pour out my Spirit in those days,
and they will prophesy.

19I will show wonders in the heavens above
and signs on the earth below,
blood and fire and billows of smoke.

20The sun will be turned to darkness
and the moon to blood
before the coming of the great and glorious
day of the Lord.

21And everyone who calls
on the name of the Lord will be saved.’

Notice that what Joel is describing above includes the spiritual gifts of the Holy Spirit and signs in the heavens above, the earth below, the sun turning to darkness, and moon to blood as indicators of the coming day of the Lord.

So, plainly, the last days or end times began around 2,000 years ago as far as I can tell.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
Chapters 38 and 39 are probably the most relevant to eschatology (end times).

There are a number of interpretations of chapters 38 and 39 available.

Just google it, i.e., Ezekiel 38 39.

My preference is Ezekiel 1:26-28, which someone printed earlier.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I would have to agree. There is a very serious divergence between the Jewish calendar and the most reliable Bible chronology (which is according to Martin Anstey based strictly upon the Old Testament in the Masoretic Text). Anstey made the date of the creation of Adam as "the year of man" or Anno Hominis (AH). He also adjusted for Ptolemy's error of 83 extra years in his chronology. So accordingly we are in the year 6,064 since Adam. But according to the Jewish calendar we are only in the year 5,782. That is a difference of 282 years. This could be because the Hellenistic Jews were using the corrupted Septuagint or LXX (Greek OT) which had drastically changed many dates downwards.

Since seven is a very significant divine number in the Bible , it is reasonable to conclude that 7,000 years is the limit for the present world. But if the Millennium is for 1,000 years, and there is some time between now and the Millennium, then the total time for this present earth would exceed 7,000. And if the date of the Jewish calendar would be applied then it is unlikely that there will be another 282 years between now and the Millennium (which comes very shortly after the Great Tribulation).

P

persistent

Hey Pilgrimshope your replies get me off and running, a whirlwind in my brain. The phrase 'sea of glass like unto crystal' makes me think of ..........Rev.18:18 And the building of the wall of it was of jasper: and the city was pure gold, like unto clear glass. 19 And the foundations of the wall of the city were garnished with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation was jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald; 20 The fifth, sardonyx; the sixth, sardius; the seventh, chrysolite; the eighth, beryl; the ninth, a topaz; the tenth, a chrysoprasus; the eleventh, a jacinth; the twelfth, an amethyst. 21 And the twelve gates were twelve pearls; every several gate was of one pearl: and the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass. ........The gold in these verses are like clear glass. Verse 11 also mentions the jasper like crystal. These would be what science calls allotropes of gold and whatever the elements that make up jasper. I just briefly checked Wikipedia on some of this and don't see that a crystal or what might be a 'clear as glass' allotrope of gold has been realized as of yet but maybe scientists are working on it.

We will see it, streets of clear as glass gold REV.18:21, live one day and maybe sooner than we think.

Here is what Wikipedia says about allotropes of carbon other than diamond and graphite like the black stuff in a pencil....... Around 500 hypothetical 3‑periodic allotropes of carbon are known at the present time.