Born Again Speaking in Tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 23, 2018
Ok fair question and will explain as I understand it Remeber Jesus told Peter in verse 15 of Chapter 10
"What God has cleansed you must not call common.” 16 This was done three times. And the object was taken up into heaven again.

this is the starting point of the Narrative of those who Peter was to go and see.

In Verse 19 the "Spirit"
was leading Peter to three men who were looking for him. after Peter got there he began to preach in verse

Verse 34. In verse 36 Peter says :
"The word which God sent to the children of Israel, preaching peace through Jesus ChristHe is Lord of all— 37 that word you know,

These men have heard the Gospel message Peter said they Knew it. Past tense. Jesus is Lord was preached repentance was preached. That is what Peter just said.

"which was proclaimed throughout all Judea, and began from Galilee after the baptism which John preached: "

Peter continues and somewhere in the message, they have received by faith the Lord Jesus through the Preaching of the Gospel.

Remember it was Jesus who said the preaching of the gospel would save people by grace through faith.

Verse 44 says :
44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word.

" HEARD" THE WORD past tense the word Heard means in the Greek
to attend to, consider what is or has been said to comprehend, to understand

Word" is logos here the same as in John 1 Speaking of Jesus which is the context that is being preached by Peter they heard it they received and then the Holy Spirit Confirmed the Word AS Jesus said the Holy Spirit will do In John 14.
One more very telling thing after this event.
Peter says in verse 47

"Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? "

How did Peter receive the empowerment of the Holy Spirit? After he was saved. Jesus said the Power of the Holy Spirit was for the purpose of witnessing Acts 1:8 Jesus Speaking why? because they were already saved. again verse 48 to affirms a past tense experience

they were saved just as Peter said in Acts t2 when asked: "what must we do to be saved "? Believe = saved than be baptized.

same thing right here. we do not have to split hairs when the normative is seen throughout the book of Acts.
And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
You are keying off of a concept.
Your premise is "the Holy Spirit can not come upon an unsaved person"
Your entire observation of acts 10 is framed in that belief. Not in what happened.
To you ,"it can not possible be,therefore let my prove my belief"

But to think the Holy Spirit has some "off limits" law of heaven to the unsaved is poppycock.
It is,as a matter of fact,the HOLY SPIRIT that plows the heart of the unsaved in conviction and wooing into salvation. The Holy Spirit leads men to Christ. PRE CONVERSION.
So we have the Holy Spirit Working a mighty work in ...hold your breath....unsaved gentiles.

To you...an impossibility

Mar 28, 2016
In a sense, yes. Reflexive effectively means "reflected on self". "I hit myself in the face" uses "myself" as a reflexive pronoun; the word "myself" replaces the implied "me" or my name, which would lead people to think that I hit someone other than myself.

In the verse in question, the phrase, "As it is written, '...'," the "it" refers to what is written. Another way of writing that might be, "As the Scripture clearly says, '...'" or "As is written in the Scriptures, '....'" The "it" merely refers to what is written, without the awkward sentence structure.

No other meaning, like none at all. It's not an issue of 'unseen' or 'hidden' meaning. It's simply an aspect of English grammar.
Thanks that was helpful.

The "it" refers to the kind of set in stone media as a living law in respect to what is written. The book of the law the Bible has no equal. It alone contains the law of God by which we can know His Spirit ..

No oral laws after the philosophies of men

The law of the unseen eternal will of God.. written by the finger of God etched in stone to represent our hard hearts.

When confronted with a another media the voice of the father of lies the father of illusions in respect to the unseen world when those lies created a vison in the fleshly mind of Jesus . the father gave the words as it is written .it alone is the once source by which we can hear God.

Jesus set the exapmple and would have nothing to do with what some call. . out of the body experiences of I heard a new revelation, I had a dream . Which is simply spirits of lies bring in things that are not there

Don’t let anyone declare you lost when you refuse to worship angels, as they say you must. They have seen a vision, they say, and know you should. These proud men (though they claim to be so humble) have a very clever imagination. Colossians 2:18 TLB

Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, Colossians 2:18 KJ

CS1

May 23, 2012
You are keying off of a concept.
Your premise is "the Holy Spirit can not come upon an unsaved person"
Your entire observation of acts 10 is framed in that belief. Not in what happened.
To you ,"it can not possible be,therefore let my prove my belief"

But to think the Holy Spirit has some "off limits" law of heaven to the unsaved is poppycock.
It is,as a matter of fact,the HOLY SPIRIT that plows the heart of the unsaved in conviction and wooing into salvation. The Holy Spirit leads men to Christ. PRE CONVERSION.
So we have the Holy Spirit Working a mighty work in ...hold your breath....unsaved gentiles.

To you...an impossibility
No, actually I am speaking from what I see in the working of the Holy Spirit as normative and How God has worked with man and women who HE has called first, then the Holy Spirit or the Spirit of the living God or the Spirit of the Lord would come upon the person after they were called i.e. elected. Prophets, Kings, Preist, judges, and rulers. In the New Testament Jesus said in John chapter 14 how the Holy Spirit would work in the believer. Jesus is the way, the life, and the Truth. this is about salvation eternal salvation. verse 6. You have to have known HIM as Lord and Savior this is consistent with all the Apostles writings and teachings.
Jesus asked do you Beleive? verse 10. verse 11 told to believe. in verse 15 Jesus says you have to Love HIM and obey His word then HE will send the Comforter Believe, obey or act in faith then receive the Holy Spirit. I never said the Holy Spirit could not come on an unsaved person, what the word says that the working of the Holy Spirit is to as John 16:8 says

"8 And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 of sin, because they do not believe in Me;

after they believe in Christ AS Jesus said they receive the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit does not plow the heart, he woos them to surrender to Christ first. I'm not the one who set the standard Saved by grace through faith. Beleive repent and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Acts 10 is clear enough that they "Heard" the word. And just because it does not say it as you think it should the full context of salvation and the gift of the Holy Spirit is s Christ said it would be. The working of the Holy Spirit is as Christ said HE would work The Holy Spirit would not speak of Himself but of Christ for salvation. IF you are not a child of God, saved, born again you do not have the indwelling Holy Spirit until you have accepted Christ as Lord and Savior.

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
IF you are not a child of God, saved, born again you do not have the indwelling Holy Spirit until you have accepted Christ as Lord and Savior.
Stop splitting hairs you lot and that goes for you too @Absolutely
God works in the lives of those that he calls and is calling to salvation in many various ways.
Some people hear the full gospel preached and repent and are water baptised and then receive the Holy Spirit.
Some people hear the full gospel preached and repent and and God baptises them and they receive the Holy Spirit, and
then they undergo water baptism.
Some people receive the Holy Spirit and do nothing. Even refusing to be baptised in water.
Some people, like me, receive the Holy Spirit and speak in tongues as a child some thirty years before I ended up in a Pentecostal
church and got water baptised.

God is running this programme not us.
And yes a person knows that they are baptised in the Holy Spirit because they do speak forth in a new tongue.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Stop splitting hairs you lot and that goes for you too @Absolutely
God works in the lives of those that he calls and is calling to salvation in many various ways.
Some people hear the full gospel preached and repent and are water baptised and then receive the Holy Spirit.
Some people hear the full gospel preached and repent and and God baptises them and they receive the Holy Spirit, and
Some people receive the Holy Spirit and do nothing. Even refusing to be baptised in water.
Some people, like me, receive the Holy Spirit and speak in tongues as a child some thirty years before I ended up in a Pentecostal

God is running this programme not us.
And yes a person knows that they are baptised in the Holy Spirit because they do speak forth in a new tongue.
you assume there is more than one way to Salvation and I'm splitting hairs?

I will say it again There is no other way of salvation BUT through Jesus Christ Period. Jesus said HE is the only way. Jesus is the final authority and His word. How they hear the Gospel message too is established Matt 28:18-19 Mark 16:15-16 Jesus said how salvation will happen.

1cor 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

IF think God saves in more than one way When God has said It is through His Christ spoken by the Prophets, Spoken by the Lord Himself you are not splitting hairs you are just unbiblical

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
you assume there is more than one way to Salvation and I'm splitting hairs?
You are misinterpreting everything that I wrote.
I never wrote that there are many ways to salvation.

God calls people to himself in many ways and works in people's lives in many ways to bring them to the point of repentance and
belief in the full gospel. For all must in the end embrace Acts 2:38.

God works in the lives of those He calls often years before their salvation; such as miracles and divine protection before they
are born again.
And I have been witnessing for many many years to know that so many people have received the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues months or even years before they hear the gospel preached to them.
Like I said God is in charge not us.

CS1

May 23, 2012

God calls people to himself in many ways and works in people's lives in many ways to bring them to the point of repentance and

God works in the lives of those He calls often years before their salvation; such as miracles and divine protection before they
are born again.
And I have been witnessing for many many years to know that so many people have received the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues months or even years before they hear the gospel preached to them.

"God works in the lives of those that he calls and is calling to salvation in many various ways. "

THE WAY IS JESUS. the one who makes the way known the Holy Spirit through the Preaching of the Word known as the Gospel.

IF Jesus is not the Way of salvation then there is no salvation.

Mar 28, 2016

are born again.
It would seem you are trying to sell something? What is tongues? What kind of evidence ? Where do we find the foundation as to the purpose..? How do we seek after it...?

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
"God works in the lives of those that he calls and is calling to salvation in many various ways. "
And what follows this first sentence ???
a list of examples from personal history of myself and many other people that they have received the baptism of the Holy Spirit
in many different ways.
My post has does not promote any alternatives to the gospel of Jesus
You and Absolutely were spending all your time arguing over details of scripture and splitting hairs about who did what first.
Man get off the eggshells ...

notuptome

May 17, 2013
a list of examples from personal history of myself and many other people that they have received the baptism of the Holy Spirit
in many different ways.
You and Absolutely were spending all your time arguing over details of scripture and splitting hairs about who did what first.

Clear evidence that you do not understand what the bible teaches regarding salvation.

Simplified version. One hears the gospel from the word of God. The Holy Spirit brings conviction of sin, righteousness and judgment. The person then either repents and receives Christ or they reject Christ and continue in darkness. John 16:8-11 John 3:21 Romans 10:9-10,17.

There are no tongues in the gospel. Tongues are not a required evidence of salvation. Salvation includes the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit. The indwelling Holy Spirit is required to understand the word of God beyond the elements of salvation. The sinner can understand that he is a sinner. The sinner can understand that God judges sin. The sinner can understand that if he does not receive Christ as his Savior he will remain condemned and go into the lake of fire on the GWT judgement day.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

CS1

May 23, 2012
in many different ways.

the discussion was between Abslautely and I about "can one be baptized in the Holy Spirit before salvation or they are saved", I do not see that in the word of God. And we were not arguing I stated his last question to me was a fair one. In which I answered as I see it scripture. Maybe you should have followed the context of our discussion.

your opinion of us splitting hairs is unfounded. Yet I do not see in your above post One scriptural ref to support your opinion. Nor do I see you provide any refute to the Biblical verses I used to support my understanding, of one can be baptized in the Holy Spirit before salvation. I do not see that in this chapter. However, IF one looks at the complete New testament such as John 14, 15, 16 and the conversions in all of the Acts and the remaining Letters from Paul on Salvation, they all happen before one is baptized in the Holy Spirit. IF you want to say it happens simultaneously, with salvation I could agree with that.
In addition you in your own explanation

prove my very point.

FYI hear believe repent.

Mar 28, 2016
in many different ways.

We receive the Holy Spirit in one way called "believing" or exercising a faith that come from hearing God. Not a noise we make .that would be exercising the wrong manner of faith not coming form prophecy.Tongue.what he says..

Most babies speak in the kind of tongue you are refering to. . . . hearing the gospel 30 years after their birth experience.. And soon as they are born tongues serves it purpose.

Problem is you will nor even identify what tongues is or why God refers to mocking those who refuse to believe (sola scriptura) and have developed their own gospel program .Some say preparing them for hearing the gospel

What is tongues in the Bible?

Where do we find the foundation for it? Is tongues.... I made a noise before I heard the gospel ?

You will not even look at the doctrine .But rather revert back to some noise you made and claim some kind of wonderment that fills something up with something self edifying ?

Waggles Why did God mock those in Isaiah 28 ?

Jul 23, 2018
No, actually I am speaking from what I see in the working of the Holy Spirit as normative and How God has worked with man and women who HE has called first, then the Holy Spirit or the Spirit of the living God or the Spirit of the Lord would come upon the person after they were called i.e. elected. Prophets, Kings, Preist, judges, and rulers. In the New Testament Jesus said in John chapter 14 how the Holy Spirit would work in the believer. Jesus is the way, the life, and the Truth. this is about salvation eternal salvation. verse 6. You have to have known HIM as Lord and Savior this is consistent with all the Apostles writings and teachings.
Jesus asked do you Beleive? verse 10. verse 11 told to believe. in verse 15 Jesus says you have to Love HIM and obey His word then HE will send the Comforter Believe, obey or act in faith then receive the Holy Spirit. I never said the Holy Spirit could not come on an unsaved person, what the word says that the working of the Holy Spirit is to as John 16:8 says

"8 And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 of sin, because they do not believe in Me;

after they believe in Christ AS Jesus said they receive the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit does not plow the heart, he woos them to surrender to Christ first. I'm not the one who set the standard Saved by grace through faith. Beleive repent and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Acts 10 is clear enough that they "Heard" the word. And just because it does not say it as you think it should the full context of salvation and the gift of the Holy Spirit is s Christ said it would be. The working of the Holy Spirit is as Christ said HE would work The Holy Spirit would not speak of Himself but of Christ for salvation. IF you are not a child of God, saved, born again you do not have the indwelling Holy Spirit until you have accepted Christ as Lord and Savior.
Uh,no acts 10 neither threatens your belief or the doctrine you admit to framing the Holy Spirit falling on the unsaved gentiles.

Now you frame "Calling" as saved.

Another misplacement as the word declares "many are called but few are chosen"
All are called. Jesus died for All.
An evangelists calls to his entire audience. They all get called.

Look,thevreason WHY a few,as opposed to all/many get saved is the pre emptive work of the Holy Spirit.

You are basically arguing that by association the gentiles were saved listening to peter.
Even those saved ones Finny would say "to all appearances they appear saved"
You do not know,but assume the gentiles were saved prior to speaking in tongues.

As far as ot anointing you prove that they were anointed BEFORE THE OFFICE...PRIOR TO.
NONE. of them were born again. All were without completion,but recieved the Holy Spirit.
IOW,The Holy Spirit coming on non born agains is not only plausable,it happened many times.

Who are we to tell the Holy Spirit ,"you cant do that"?

CS1

May 23, 2012
Uh,no acts 10 neither threatens your belief or the doctrine you admit to framing the Holy Spirit falling on the unsaved gentiles.

Look,thevreason WHY a few,as opposed to all/many get saved is the pre emptive work of the Holy Spirit.

You are basically arguing that by association the gentiles were saved listening to peter.
You do not know,but assume the gentiles were saved prior to speaking in tongues.

As far as ot anointing you prove that they were anointed BEFORE THE OFFICE...PRIOR TO.
NONE. of them were born again. All were without completion,but recieved the Holy Spirit.
IOW,The Holy Spirit coming on non born agains is not only plausable,it happened many times.

the relationship was established with those in the Old Testament was the point. But if you do not see the normative in the NEW Testament

you have a different understanding than I.

and you are not correct on my comments too.
Calling is what the Holy Spirit does in the context of the Gospel message when it is Preached. Faith Comes by Hearing and hearing the Word of God. Rom 10:17
what are they hearing?

The preaching of the Gospel 1cor 1:18

No one is telling the Holy Spirit to do anything that is a false narrative. Jesus is the one who said what the Holy Spirit would lead into all truth and convicted the world of Sin. And HE would come on the believer and Be in the Believer. Saying what the Holy Does as Scripture says HE will do it is not telling the Holy Spirit anything, it is repeating what Jesus said HE would do.

The word is preached as Jesus said it is to be done. It is heard received by faith and believed and the gift of the Holy Spirit is given.

I am not arguing that they listed to Peter, I'm saying that Acts 10 shows they Heard Peter and were saved and received the Empowering of the Holy Spirit. Acts 1:8

Mar 28, 2016
]Hello guys :D:D

This book is quite an enjoyable read (y) :

https://www.clparker.com/ce/ce17.html

Enjoy! :coffee::giggle:

Kinds of Tongues : Gift of the Spirit

This ability to speak in one unknown tongue is then the initial sign that The Holy Ghost is now in His Temple: but it is only the initial sign, and is meant to be followed by other gifts of more practical importance. The first of these to be considered is "kinds of tongues", i.e. the ability to speak in more than one new language. The initial sign of the Baptism is not "speaking in tongues", but "speaking in a tongue". "Speaking in tongues" i.e. more than one tongue, is one of the nine Gifts of The Spirit.

The value of speaking in one tongue is that we speak words, which we do not ourselves understand, to God, and so edify ourselves by pouring out our heart to Him in praise. So far however as our neighbour is concerned it will only mystify him, and he will say we are mad or drunk, and not be edified (1 Cor 14:23) unless he may happen to understand the language we are speaking, in which case of course he will be forced to think, and ask what it is and what it means, as happened on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2:7-13).
We speak in our own known tongue as God applies his word or tongue as His understanding to our heart we then both hear the tongue of God the one sent well as the one given ears to hear.

Spiritual gifts not seen are two fold. . mutually blessing the speaker giving him words to believe. . . . and the hearer given ears to hear what the Spirit is saying.

But because it is prophecy God’s tongue and not of us. It is the ability of God to give them both his understanding that they might walk together. . He does not offer a unknown wonderment ... . or sign and wonder. As if what the apostles did have was not freely given to them as it is to us by faith the unseen eternal... Our gift is we can speak the new tongue the gospel and hope God does apply it to their hearts

No such doctrine of God called sign gifts. Spiritual unseen gifts yes but no self-edifying gifts called "sign gifts” to be seen of men. The word sign and gift are not used together as one thought. We walk by faith the unseen gift.

From looking at that article. Right from the beginning the word tongue which is simply prophecy of God. God’s word, as it is written. It is made to no effect in exchange for a wonderment or mystery

But that which is reveled is what is needed to get to know the unknown . Why would he create more mysteries and call that knowing Him more intimately?

Its His integrity that is challenged like in the garden of Eden when it was challenged by a unknown voice, the father of lies. The same kind of spirit of that the outward Jew used to represent mankind as a whole that walked by sight and sought after and used it to persecute Christ. Show us a sign and then we will believe (no faith).

John 4:48Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.

John 6:30They said therefore unto him, What sign shewest thou then, that we may see, and believe thee? what dost thou work?

Revelations "The tongue of God" offers a understanding making known the mysteries .The idea of seeking after a unknow wonderments as self-edifying. I would be careful on how we say we hear.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Being born again, as Yeshua/Jesus explained it to Nicodemus, is absolutely wonderful!

Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
John 3:3-6 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=John 3:3-6&version=KJV

Speaking in tongues is one of nine gifts that the Holy Spirit gives in accordance to the Father’s Will. It’s a beautiful gift from a beautiful loving Father - if you have this gift, rejoice and praise the Giver!

Do NOT speak against the gift of tongues because it is NOT the gift but, The Giver that you speak against. I highly advise that you do not speak so.

Paul NEVER spoke against The Giver, nor the gift - Paul spoke against the MISUSE of the gift of tongues.

Be at peace, be open to receive whatever the Father chooses to give you through His Holy Spirit. Father knows best and every good and perfect gift comes from Him. :love:(y)

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
Why can't people simply settle and agree on what the Bible says..?
People at the Pentecost all received the gift with a specific purpose that was fulfilled that day, they were supposed to speak "with stammering lips" and "another tongue" "to this people" and fulfill the prophecy. From this, people derive the fallacy that all born again believers must speak in tongues. This is incorrect. One may pray and receive the gift if God decides so, but we do not all automatically get it when we get born again. It says in the Bible clearly that the distribution of the gifts is diverse. Not all saved believers will speak in tongues. Everyone has different gifts, some will prophecy, some heal, and so on. Everybody has something. Even, the stronger the Christian grows in love, some people are unadorned because they are so full of love of God. And of course, do not speak badly against any of the gifts it's all of God, like some people like to belittle speaking in tongues or those with the gift. It's all there to help build us up towards that love.
If there's hundreds of pages of quarrel about things that are clearly explained, how much more badly do we do on the things that aren't told clearly.
Holy God help us.

RickStudies

Sep 10, 2019
The Bible says you can tell about a person from their fruits. The fruits are the results of a persons words and their deeds.
Tongues is a gift and as such it has no part in salvation. People who believe in tongues will speak in tongues people who do not believe in it won`t recieve the gift. Those are the facts.

There are some some fine spirit filled Christians who never speak in tongues. It takes faith to recieve a gift and there are worse ways to fail as a Christian. Tongues doesn`t do that much for you.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
The Bible says you can tell about a person from their fruits. The fruits are the results of a persons words and their deeds.
Tongues is a gift and as such it has no part in salvation. People who believe in tongues will speak in tongues people who do not believe in it won`t recieve the gift. Those are the facts.

There are some some fine spirit filled Christians who never speak in tongues. It takes faith to recieve a gift and there are worse ways to fail as a Christian. Tongues doesn`t do that much for you.
Our flesh hinders us greatly. It doesn’t want us to be free and receive the fruit and gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Our flesh interferes with us receiving by human reasoning instead of trusting God’s love for us. Our flesh doubts what God has for us and reasons with itself whether or not we need the fruit or gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Well, we need to tell our flesh to get back on the cross and die because we’re born again of water and spirit - NOT flesh.

It’s a choice.... it’s ALWAYS a choice..

I choose whatever my Father in heaven desires to give me because I trust His love for me and I receive all He has for me, in the Name of Yeshua/Jesus, amen.

It’s simple - just trust His love for you and receive.