Both progressive and traditional types of Christians blatantly disobey the Bible... and this example about men and women proves it.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 1, 2022
South US
I am new here. Please help me unpack this, and tell me why do you think most ignore this part of the Bible? First, here is some art I made. It's based upon my wife, wearing a head covering as she prays and prophesies.

wife pray, burgandy.jpg

It looks like we all cherry-pick the Bible. Even those of us that consider ourselves to be hardcore Bible believing Christians of the traditionalist type. We like to point out how progressive Christians deconstruct, deform, or dismiss certain scriptures. It is strange that most of us western Christians do the same thing with the first part of 1 Corinthians 11.

1 Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ. 2 Now I praise you, brethren, that you remember me in all things and keep the traditions just as I delivered them to you. 3 But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. 4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonors his head. 5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, for that is one and the same as if her head were shaved. 6 For if a woman is not covered, let her also be shorn. But if it is shameful for a woman to be shorn or shaved, let her be covered. 7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. 8 For man is not from woman, but woman from man. 9 Nor was man created for the woman, but woman for the man. 10 For this reason the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels. 11 Nevertheless, neither is man independent of woman, nor woman independent of man, in the Lord. 12 For as woman came from man, even so man also comes through woman; but all things are from God. 13 Judge among yourselves. Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him? 15 But if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her; for her hair is given [a]to her for a covering. 16 But if anyone seems to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God.

The Corinth Church was out of line because they were not following the traditions that Paul previously taught them. He sent a letter reminding them that men should not cover their heads and women should cover their heads when they pray or prophesy. He also had instructions about the Lord's Supper. This is not about fashion nor food... but liturgy and proper worship.

In verse 16, it is written that the churches of God do not have a custom of a woman praying with her head u-n-c-o-v-e-r-e-d. So for centuries after Paul's letter women covered their heads in church... all the way until the sexual revolution and the feminist movement starting in the 1960's. Now, only certain denominations follow the instructions. Most Western churches ignore these holy scriptures. The people I talk to about this mostly have never heard of it. Or, they pretend that the scriptures mean other things, like it is about women having long hair, or that the letter was ONLY for the Corinthians, or it was a cultural thing of that time, or some other untrue thing. They skip that part of the scripture and only give attention to the part about the Lord's Supper.

Here is a pretty good article that explains the background and history:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_head_covering

You might think that it is not a big deal if a guy wears a ball cap in church or if a woman does not cover her head. But head covering is not something Paul briefly touched on casually with a single sentence, like the "holy kiss" or "drink a little wine to help your stomach". See how Paul elaborated on the theology of it. The fact that Paul wrote that all the churches practiced this means that it is not merely an instruction unique to the area of Corinth. ADDITIONALLY, and more importantly, the fact that he connected this practice with creation, the natural order, and the Angels makes it a universality. After all, Angels are every time and place. THIS IS NO SMALL THING. A man not covering his head and a woman covering her head, this is an act of worship that shows that we are submitted to God.

It seems that we have now set aside holy scripture, mainly for feminist pride. And this distortion or deconstruction of holy scripture for an agenda has made the way for gay pride to do the same thing. Do we accept the writings of Paul, or just the parts we like? So, was the Holy Spirit speaking through Paul? If we listen to Paul when it comes to the gifts of the spirit, the Lord's Supper, and on and on, why not about head coverings?

And the next thing you know, many Christians will cherry-pick the words of Christ, and ignore His definition of marriage as being between a man and a woman (Matthew 19:4-6). Wait, that is already happening....

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Well... there's nothing like jumping with both feet into the quagmire.

You have your interpretation, and you think it is sound. Other who read the same text interpret it differently, and they think their interpretation is sound. You accuse those who have a different interpretation of "cherry picking".

Tell me something: In real life, would you walk into a room full of strangers, declare that you have things right and assume everyone else is wrong, and accuse them of wrongdoing? Maybe you would. That's what you just did here.

Mar 4, 2020
I am new here. Please help me unpack this, and tell me why do you think most ignore this part of the Bible? First, here is some art I made. It's based upon my wife, wearing a head covering as she prays and prophesies.

It looks like we all cherry-pick the Bible. Even those of us that consider ourselves to be hardcore Bible believing Christians of the traditionalist type. We like to point out how progressive Christians deconstruct, deform, or dismiss certain scriptures. It is strange that most of us western Christians do the same thing with the first part of 1 Corinthians 11.

1 Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ. 2 Now I praise you, brethren, that you remember me in all things and keep the traditions just as I delivered them to you. 3 But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. 4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonors his head. 5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, for that is one and the same as if her head were shaved. 6 For if a woman is not covered, let her also be shorn. But if it is shameful for a woman to be shorn or shaved, let her be covered. 7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. 8 For man is not from woman, but woman from man. 9 Nor was man created for the woman, but woman for the man. 10 For this reason the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels. 11 Nevertheless, neither is man independent of woman, nor woman independent of man, in the Lord. 12 For as woman came from man, even so man also comes through woman; but all things are from God. 13 Judge among yourselves. Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him? 15 But if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her; for her hair is given [a]to her for a covering. 16 But if anyone seems to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God.

The Corinth Church was out of line because they were not following the traditions that Paul previously taught them. He sent a letter reminding them that men should not cover their heads and women should cover their heads when they pray or prophesy. He also had instructions about the Lord's Supper. This is not about fashion nor food... but liturgy and proper worship.

In verse 16, it is written that the churches of God do not have a custom of a woman praying with her head u-n-c-o-v-e-r-e-d. So for centuries after Paul's letter women covered their heads in church... all the way until the sexual revolution and the feminist movement starting in the 1960's. Now, only certain denominations follow the instructions. Most Western churches ignore these holy scriptures. The people I talk to about this mostly have never heard of it. Or, they pretend that the scriptures mean other things, like it is about women having long hair, or that the letter was ONLY for the Corinthians, or it was a cultural thing of that time, or some other untrue thing. They skip that part of the scripture and only give attention to the part about the Lord's Supper.

You might think that it is not a big deal if a guy wears a ball cap in church or if a woman does not cover her head. But head covering is not something Paul briefly touched on casually with a single sentence, like the "holy kiss" or "drink a little wine to help your stomach". See how Paul elaborated on the theology of it. The fact that Paul wrote that all the churches practiced this means that it is not merely an instruction unique to the area of Corinth. ADDITIONALLY, and more importantly, the fact that he connected this practice with creation, the natural order, and the Angels makes it a universality. After all, Angels are every time and place. THIS IS NO SMALL THING. A man not covering his head and a woman covering her head, this is an act of worship that shows that we are submitted to God.

It seems that we have now set aside holy scripture, mainly for feminist pride. And this distortion or deconstruction of holy scripture for an agenda has made the way for gay pride to do the same thing. Do we accept the writings of Paul, or just the parts we like? So, was the Holy Spirit speaking through Paul? If we listen to Paul when it comes to the gifts of the spirit, the Lord's Supper, and on and on, why not about head coverings?

And the next thing you know, many Christians will cherry-pick the words of Christ, and ignore His definition of marriage as being between a man and a woman (Matthew 19:4-6). Wait, that is already happening....
He said “imitate me as I imitate Christ” then immediately tells the women to wear a head covering.

As far as we know Christ or Paul didn’t wear a head covering. So if people are to imitate him then they shouldn’t be required to wear a head covering.

This isn’t a matter of male or female. Paul said elsewhere there are no males and females in Christ, rather we’re just one united body.

T

TheIndianGirl

I don't think women stopped wearing head coverings because of feminist pride; it's just that head coverings are no longer in fashion at least in western churches. Even prior to this "feminist" movement, women did not wear head coverings/scarfs but more elaborate/decorative hats to church. I don't think these huge colorful looking hats have the same meaning as head coverings which are supposed to convey humility and devotion; they were more intended as fashion statements. Also, during Paul's times, women wore head coverings and it was part of the culture. Women also wore robes/dresses to their feet/ankles. If women started showing their knees back then, that would be scandalous. I believe the same logic applies to head coverings; back then if a women did not wear a head covering she was a bit naked, just like showing her knee. However, such is not the case nowadays.

Live4Him3

Jesus is Lord
May 19, 2022

In reality, it's not a matter of anyone "blatantly disobeying the Bible".

Instead, it's a matter of YOU not understanding what Paul actually said and meant.

I wrote something rather extensive on this topic my first time through here as "Live4Him".

If you're interested in reading it, then you can do so here:

https://christianchat.com/bible-discussion-forum/should-women-teach-should-you.198735/#post-4547539

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Also, during Paul's times, women wore head coverings and it was part of the culture.
If head coverings were simply a part of culture, then Scripture would not devote 16 verses to this issue. There is some necessary spiritual teaching there, so what you should do is read and study 1 Corinthians 11 very carefully and ask yourself why God the Holy Spirit had to say so much about a passing "cultural fad". In India Christian women invariably cover their heads during worship.

Jun 2, 2022
There is nothing more sure to cause controversy than quoting Paul, let me put another pigeon amongst the cats lol

In that same chapter it says men should not cover their heads because it dishonours their head which of course is Christ.

1 Corinthians 11:4 “Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.”

The Jews cover their heads, which fits because they reject Christ, but also the Pope covers his head, and I am not completely sure, but don't the Amish men cover their heads also?

Just a thought as I read the thread :)

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016

You are Wrong about head covering for woman.. You have misread the passage.. Paul explained to them that God gave woman long hair for a covering.. That woman do not need an extra head covering because they already have one.. If they have long hair..

In the final verse you quoted Paul said..

16 But if anyone seems to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God.

What Custom is He talking about?? The only custom being dealt with in the passage was the custom of woman wearing a extra head covering...

This just shows how people can read a passage and get the opposite message of that passage..

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019

Hello HorseSoldier.
Paul is teaching that a woman should pray with her head covered because,

the head of the woman is the man 1Cor.11:3

In other words, don't uncover your husband.

Jun 2, 2022
You are Wrong about head covering for woman.. You have misread the passage.. Paul explained to them that God gave woman long hair for a covering.. That woman do not need an extra head covering because they already have one.. If they have long hair..

In the final verse you quoted Paul said..

What Custom is He talking about?? The only custom being dealt with in the passage was the custom of woman wearing a extra head covering...

This just shows how people can read a passage and get the opposite message of that passage..
But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

Paul is rebuking anyone that wishes to challenge the practice, saying we have no such custom in the churches as woman not wearing coverings etc, in all the churches.

I can see how it can be read both ways, but the way you read it does not make sense in light of everything Paul had previously said to great extent.

This was a practice all churches followed until recent times.

11:6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

If it is the hair like you say, how does this verse make any sense? If she has no hair shave it off ? Does that make any sense at all ? And if it be a shame to be shaven let her be covered? Do they then have to put a wig on the woman ?

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

Paul is rebuking anyone that wishes to challenge the practice, saying we have no such custom in the churches as woman not wearing coverings etc, in all the churches.
Not wearing a head covering cannot be called a custom.. Thats the defult situation.. A custom requiors people to do something like wear head coverings..

11:6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

If it is the hair like you say, how does this verse make any sense? If she has no hair shave it off ? Does that make any sense at all ? And if it be a shame to be shaven let her be covered? Do they then have to put a wig on the woman ?
There is a difference between a woman having short hair and having her head completely shorn. She would have to wear a actual head covering if she had been shorn..

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
I’d like to engage, but I suspect the op is a bomb thrower, who splits after tossing a bomb, and doesn’t address the various points made.

I also think it’s much about how he wanted everyone to see his artwork.

On the subject itself, we have freedom in Christ, if someone thinks it’s sin for a woman to pray uncovered, that’s on them.

The very interesting, and completely ignored nugget in the text is the part about “because of the angels”.

Why would an angel care if a woman’s head was covered while praying to God?

Jun 2, 2022
Not wearing a head covering cannot be called a custom.. Thats the defult situation.. A custom requiors people to do something like wear head coverings..

There is a difference between a woman having short hair and having her head completely shorn. She would have to wear a actual head covering if she had been shorn..
So in 1 cor 1:4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.

All the men must have to be bald if it is talking about hair

Paul used hair as an example from nature, like we all do when explaining things we will use an example, it is like such and such....

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
C

ChristianTonyB

I think whether a woman wears a head covering or not is less important than what's in her heart. If she realises the authority God has placed in the male to be the head of the household, and her manner of conduct reflects that, that is sufficient 'covering'. Paul indicated he preferred women to keep silent in the church, and to discuss anything related to the church privately with her husband.

Live4Him3

Jesus is Lord
May 19, 2022
I’d like to engage, but I suspect the op is a bomb thrower, who splits after tossing a bomb, and doesn’t address the various points made.

On the subject itself, we have freedom in Christ, if someone thinks it’s sin for a woman to pray uncovered, that’s on them.

The very interesting, and completely ignored nugget in the text is the part about “because of the angels”.

The angel would care because Paul was actually speaking about authority within the confines of a Christian marriage.

The head of Christ is God, and Christ never uncovered his head in that he was under his Father's authority at all times.

The head of the man, or, in context, the husband is Christ, and every husband ought to be fully in submission to Christ as the same.

A man's head becomes "covered" when his wife usurps his God-given authority within the confines of marriage or when she comes between him and Christ.

The head of the woman, or, in context, the wife is the man/husband within the confines of their marriage. Again, if a wife usurps her husband's God-given authority, then her head, figuratively speaking, is uncovered in that she is no longer under the covering of her husband.

This is what Paul was actually addressing, even as he did in his other epistles.

Anyhow, the angels care because they're always watching and reporting back to God to ensure that everything is being done decently and in order.

Melach

Mar 28, 2019

do you know the answer to this?

Jun 2, 2022

Paul goes back to the garden of Eden just before saying about the angels, when Authority was upsurged ?

8For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.

9Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.

10For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

Maybe God is using the assembly to demonstrate something to the Angelic realm ?

Ephesians 3:9And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: 10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,

are they being taught something?