Buddhist curious about awakening.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Sherril

well this is a new person welcoming area...there are other forum areas like the bible forums if you like to ask or post in there for others to respond...:).
The presence of God is like no other :)Gods peace overtakes us as Gods children...when we are born-again repenting unto salvation calling on Jesus to be our Lord and Savior and to forgive us from our sins to come into our lives, then the Holy Spirit comes to dwell in us the Children of God...God is so Amazing, Powerful, Mighty, Loving ...as God is LOVE...God cares for those that are His...God has 1 place in my heart and life....My Father God...my Abba God is my everything...the only way you will truly understand is if Jesus is your Lord and Savior, then as the Holy Spirit comes to live inside.....then the revelation and understanding of God and his word comes to life...in Christ Sherril...

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I say at the top of the thread. I'm interested in awakening, though that may mean different things to different people. Mostly, I'm curious about the experience that people talk about when they say they experience the holy spirit, or feel born again.
I saw a video on YouTube of a woman talking with a Sikh gentleman, she described how her experience was very powerful and frightening, I'm interested in people's actual experiences.
I also saw some videos about Father Lazarus who lives in a cave in the middle East. He was an atheist, but had a powerful experience with Mary. All those sorts of stories interest me.
I say at the top of the thread. I'm interested in awakening, though that may mean different things to different people. Mostly, I'm curious about the experience that people talk about when they say they experience the holy spirit, or feel born again.
I saw a video on YouTube of a woman talking with a Sikh gentleman, she described how her experience was very powerful and frightening, I'm interested in people's actual experiences.
I also saw some videos about Father Lazarus who lives in a cave in the middle East. He was an atheist, but had a powerful experience with Mary. All those sorts of stories interest me.
Awakening

In orthodox Christianity, we don't have an "awakening."
Rather, we have a change of heart.
We recognize we are wicked sinners who are separated from a holy God by our sin.
In our sinfulness, we turn to Christ, and accept his forgiveness for our sin.

Christianity is not about an awakening - there is nothing good inside of us which needs to awakened.
A. Christianity is not about "experiencing" an "awakening" of our own "internal goodness."
B. Christianity is about admitting our own SINFULNESS, and turning to Christ to remove it from us.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Hi,
It's Christian experiences I want to know about. Christians seem to have different experiences. The woman I mentioned who was talking to the Sikh man, she was a Christian, so is the Fr. Lazarus that I mentioned. I'm interested in the experiences of ordinary Christians of the holy spirit.
You'll find people of various religions and beliefs striving to claim the title of Christian while holding beliefs that directly contradict biblical teachings. Mormons, Catholics and Jehovahs Witness are among the most common, yet hold to doctrines not in line with Christianity.
Sightings of Mary tend to be more Catholic, and Mary is a common theme in Catholicism and to some is raised to a divine figure. In Christianity, for example, Mary gains no special recognition and Certainly is not raised to a divine level.
So be wary of doctrines and religions trying to claim a title which contradicts core Christian teachings.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hi folks,
It's nice to be a member on this site, I hope I can learn some things here.
I am a Buddhist for about 20 years and I am happy with my religion. I took refuge with a Tibetan Buddhist group.
I'm also a trained psychotherapist. I trained at a place called CCPE in London. This form of therapy includes the spiritual dimension and is not specific to any religion. Though, some of the theory had its roots in a universalist Sufi Tradition i.e., (Inayati Sufism)

I went to a Christian school when I was very young and was a choir boy! But for my youth and up to the latter half of my twenties I thought all religion was a load on nonsense.

These days I am interested in the more mystical aspects of religion and meditation, contemplation, prayer.

Best wishes and many blessings.
Rob
Hi Rob, and welcome to CC :) Thank you for your interesting and informative introduction as well (y)(y) (it sounds like you have a very interesting life)!

--David
p.s. - I know you are reading in the beginning of Matthew right now from another one of your threads, so I thought I'd leave you with one of my favorite Christmas passages from Luke (though I'm fairly certain that you've already heard it).

Luke 2
8 There were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.
9 And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the Babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,

.........14 Glory to God in the highest,
.........And on earth peace,
.........Good will toward men.

15 And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto Beth-lehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us.

Dec 22, 2018
Hi Rob, and welcome to CC :) Thank you for your interesting and informative introduction as well (y)(y) (it sounds like you have a very interesting life)!

--David
p.s. - I know you are reading in the beginning of Matthew right now from another one of your threads, so I thought I'd leave you with one of my favorite Christmas passages from Luke (though I'm fairly certain that you've already heard it).

Luke 2
8 There were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.
9 And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the Babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
.........14 Glory to God in the highest,
.........And on earth peace,
.........Good will toward men.
15 And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto Beth-lehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us.
Thank you, that's lovely. Blessings to you.

Dec 9, 2018
Hello Meditator, welcome to ChristianChat! I hope that you will find the information and awakening that you seek.

Hamilton

Nov 26, 2018
Hi Meditator:

Could you be referring to the following?: (found in the Gospel of Mark)

Mark 16:15 "And he said to them, Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18 they will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover."

So that you know, in Christianity basically there are two currents: cessationists, and continuists.

Cessationists say that the higher gifts of the Holy Spirit are no longer operating. Many base that on a particular interpretation of some Bible verses, but mainly because John Calvin pushed it. He in turn got the idea from Augustine, who had to take that notion back because of the amount of miracles that were happening in the place where he gathered to worship with other believers.

Continuists think that the miracles, healings, and prophecies related to the contextual historical order of the now and for the benefit of the congregation still apply (prophecies of an eschatological nature do not happen, because the Canon is closed).

So continuists divide in sub groups: Pentecostals, Charismatics, and independent.

Charismatics are generally parts of a mainline evangelical tradition that decide to go with continuism.

Pentecostals supposedly were the ones that had the manifestation of the higher gifts of the Holy Spirit in modern times. Some of the problems that other groups have, is that they seem to impose signs that verify the baptism of the Holy Spirit like speaking in tongues (glossolalia), which is not recognized by all groups.

Having given a brief overview, I must ask what is your intention on knowing more about the Holy Spirit and His supernatural dimension?

To my understanding, the higher gifts are given by the Holy Spirit to persons that want to serve God in the expansion of the Kingdom, including evangelism, ministry, etc.

According to the Bible wanting the baptism of the Holy Spirit for purposes not approved by God, may carry dire consequences.

The way some Charismatic traditions look at this is: God works in covenantal form. For our times we are in the New Covenant era.
There are prerequisites to enter the New Covenant:

Listen, read and understand the message in the Gospels. Understand that Adam and Eve (the first created humans) had fellowship with God through the Holy Spirit. When they disobeyed a command from God, a transgression happened and they were punished for it, they became the forerunners of a fallen creation, and all humans inherited that, a fallen nature, which principal characteristic is that the Holy Spirit is not dwelling in that fallen person, and thus cut out from fellowship with God.

Jesus came with a twofold mission: 1 die for our sins (transgressions to the ingrained moral order in God's creation and explicitly shown in the Bible).
2 to baptize us with the Holy Spirit so fellowship with God is restored.

Then when persons understand that we have a sinful nature and alienated from God, we need to repent of such, and cut ties with the sins and sources of sin in our lives. This is not easy and may require the ministry of delivery teams. In the Bible we see that Magdalene had to have unclean spirits expelled from her life before she could become a disciple.

Once you repent of sins, (needing to confess them to God, and try to work on them so that you change around to a more in line with God's morality life), then you have to Baptize as per Acts 2:38. In the name of Jesus Christ by immersion in water, signifying that you die to the old ways, and resurrect to a new life of faithful allegiance to God.

Then you may or may not receive the Holy Spirit as you get baptized, depending on various factors.

Sometimes a process of sanctification is needed before the Holy Spirit can come to be a part of your life.

When the baptism of the Holy Spirit happens, many times He bestows gifts for service See 1 Corinthians 12 to chapter 14.

Then you should become part of some ministry to aid in the reconciling with God ministry, to help others come into the admirable light of the one and only Omnipotent God.

As some other posters have mentioned is not an awakening, but a death to a mistaken lifestyle, to embrace the one God designed us to live when He created us.

So in recap:

Listen, read, understand, repent, confess: sins to God, and that you accept Jesus as Lord and Savior, baptize as per Acts 2:38, receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit, congregate to exalt Jesus Christ, prepare for ministry, and when required help with or go to look for the lost. In practical terms of daily living: walk humbly with God your creator doing as He tells you for His glory and in thankfulness for a free gift of salvation from a cut out from Him state.

Now in practical terms, you should visit a Charismatic / Pentecostal congregation in good standing with God. They should be able to help you with you inquiry.

Just remember, that a correct attitude is paramount in approaching God (Bible reference: Hebrews 11:5). You should go with an attitude of: "I know I am a limited creature, with more questions than answers. Well intentioned Christians have told me that you the only and Creator of all God meet the person that genuinely seek you. I want to experience your manifest presence in the Holy Spirit if is your will, thanks ahead of time..."

Hope you understand you have to go with humility and noble intentions, and if is His will, He will meet you and really show you what is all about.

Kind regards.

S

selfdissolving

Hi,
It's Christian experiences I want to know about. Christians seem to have different experiences. The woman I mentioned who was talking to the Sikh man, she was a Christian, so is the Fr. Lazarus that I mentioned. I'm interested in the experiences of ordinary Christians of the holy spirit.
I was born again on November 29th 2014 at around 7 a.m.

The Holy Spirit came upon me and convicted my conscience of my sinful and wicked life. In that moment, I saw myself the way that God saw me: a broken, sinful, lost human being. My heart was broken as the full weight of the reality of my sin was laid out before me.

I got on my knees and wept bitterly, crying out to the Lord Jesus Christ to forgive me and cleanse me. I am not mincing words when I say that I grovelled at his feet and begged for his mercy. I spent the next two hours confessing every sin that I could remember, holding nothing back. I laid it all out before him and begged him to take it away. I repented of it all and told him that I no longer wanted a single iota of it.

Soon after this, the Holy Spirit entered me. In that moment, it was as if a blindfold had been removed from my eyes. I knew in the deepest parts of my being that Jesus Christ was the Messiah and that the Bible was his holy and perfect Word. I was immediately prompted to begin reading the Scriptures and obey them. Lightbulbs starting going off in my mind right and left. I could clearly perceive the lies that I had been believing. I understood the truth of God on a deep and profound level: that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and God the Son, and he is the only Way to know the only true and living God, the Creator of all things.

I hope this helps you to understand us better.

Repent and believe the gospel and you shall be saved.

If you shall confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you shall be saved. For with the heart man believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

jameen

Feb 5, 2018
Manila
If Buddhists are enlightened, they must believe that there is a Supreme Being who created the heavens and the earth. but in fairness, I know a lot of meek, gentle, kindhearted Buddhists.