But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deluding your own selves

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

MikkoAinasoja

Nov 19, 2014
21. Wherefore putting away all filthiness and overflowing of wickedness, receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.

22. But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deluding your own selves. (James 1)

Why call the Lord if won't do as he has tell us to do? The salvation is in Lord Jesus when we accept him in us, and start to live like him. If he is our head it should be seen as acts of faith, and if not then is there nothing more than darkness inside of us?

There for be sure that the light in you is really light, and not darkness.

Jachob

Nov 2, 2015
The Word tells us that true faith will produce action.

James 2:17
So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

Also, we are warned that a born again Christian does not make a practice of sinning.

1 John 3:9
No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God’s seed abides in him; and he cannot keep on sinning, because he has been born of God.

Mikko may I ask, do you think we have the ability within ourselves to change? How does a Christian become more like Christ? Is this something I do?

Figured I would ask just to inspire some conversation.

God bless.

Chester

May 23, 2016
21. Wherefore putting away all filthiness and overflowing of wickedness, receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.

22. But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deluding your own selves. (James 1)

Why call the Lord if won't do as he has tell us to do? The salvation is in Lord Jesus when we accept him in us, and start to live like him. If he is our head it should be seen as acts of faith, and if not then is there nothing more than darkness inside of us?

There for be sure that the light in you is really light, and not darkness.
Several observations from the verses you quote from James?

(1) The key here seems to be the implanted word in our souls - whatever all this means it surely includes or is part of what happens at the New Birth.

(2) Out of this implanted word we are to be doers - that is - we are to act and live out of the new birth.

(3) The person who thinks he has the implanted word, but is not doing, but is only hearing, is only deceiving himself (when he thinks that God is in Him)

Let's go out and live and do for God's Kingdom with gusto, and with love, and with passion. Let us not be benchwarmers who only talk and do not live for His Kingdom!

Jachob

Nov 2, 2015
Several observations from the verses you quote from James?

(1) The key here seems to be the implanted word in our souls - whatever all this means it surely includes or is part of what happens at the New Birth.

(2) Out of this implanted word we are to be doers - that is - we are to act and live out of the new birth.

(3) The person who thinks he has the implanted word, but is not doing, but is only hearing, is only deceiving himself (when he thinks that God is in Him)

Let's go out and live and do for God's Kingdom with gusto, and with love, and with passion. Let us not be benchwarmers who only talk and do not live for His Kingdom!

Awesome response Chester. I agree that the new birth is key here. We have the "implanted Word" and the scriptures tell us quite a bit about that.

1 Corinthians 2:16
“For who has understood the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ."

and also

2 Peter 1:3
His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence,

So, I completely agree with you Chester. Let us go oud and live and do for God's Kingdom. I also like the word gusto. We should have zeal, passion, and love. Amen to all of that.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Yea thats the spirit.
Im sure theres 1001 things God tells us to do, and some are written in the Bible.

Like this one from James 1:27

Visit the fatherless and the widows in their affliction.

This ought to be easy I am sure many people know someone whos fatherless or lost a husband. Just viist them to see how they are and maybe take them out and hang out together cos they may be lonely.

The other one Keep himself unspotted from the world...maybe a bit trickier to carry out but it could be you remove all the junk mail from your home for example. Or do laundry... or maybe even clean up the neighbourhood, paint over grafitti, remove litter, start a garden...

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
@MikkoAinasoja what have you been doing recently as an act of faith?

thanks for the verses. i agree we should be doers and not hearers only. what shall we do, brethren?

MikkoAinasoja

Nov 19, 2014
The Word tells us that true faith will produce action.

James 2:17
So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

Also, we are warned that a born again Christian does not make a practice of sinning.

1 John 3:9
No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God’s seed abides in him; and he cannot keep on sinning, because he has been born of God.

Mikko may I ask, do you think we have the ability within ourselves to change? How does a Christian become more like Christ? Is this something I do?

Figured I would ask just to inspire some conversation.

God bless.
I do believe that we can make a differnce. Like it is in showers parable. If the word is reseived in good ground, in hones heart, it will find room to grow and make fruits. If you are not open to the word, it can't find room.

Also we can make huge influence in our lives by our acts. If we try to do good, it will change us in to better. We gorw in those things what we are practicing.

And honest attempt to do good, and live according to God's word. isn't that a clear singnal from you to God?

MikkoAinasoja

Nov 19, 2014
@MikkoAinasoja what have you been doing recently as an act of faith?

thanks for the verses. i agree we should be doers and not hearers only. what shall we do, brethren?
I preach the word. Not everyone can do that. But what is very important, is that we do all kind of good. That we don't gathers treasures in this world, but instead we should do good with our money serving God, not money or richness.

And of couse we should keep God's word, and fear and respect God even in our services.

Jan 17, 2020
This is why we should live the Sermon on the Mount. The foolish man heard but didn't do, he built on the sand. The wise man heard and did. When the trials came along, the doer of the word remained steadfast, built upon the rock.

S

Scribe

Awesome response Chester. I agree that the new birth is key here. We have the "implanted Word" and the scriptures tell us quite a bit about that.

1 Corinthians 2:16
“For who has understood the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ."

and also

2 Peter 1:3
His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence,

So, I completely agree with you Chester. Let us go oud and live and do for God's Kingdom. I also like the word gusto. We should have zeal, passion, and love. Amen to all of that.
Jachob, where are you brother? We all miss you.

Sep 3, 2016
How does a Child of God become a doer of the word, and not just a hearer only, deluding ourselves?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Begin by hearing Him, then continue to listen and talk to Him always. When we remail close to Him, He remains close to us. The doing comes by our new nature.

Many times, I dare say all of the time, the believer is not aware of his own service. No, he simply does it.

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
Bible study doesn't bother the enemy one bit. He gets mad when we kneel down, experience a deep union with God and receive power from Him. Then we will do His will.

Sep 3, 2016
How does a Child of God become a doer of the word, and not just a hearer only, deluding ourselves?
The Child of God must understand that without our Trust and Faith in Christ and His Atoning Sacrifice at Calvary Cross where the victory was won, it is impossible to please God! Therefore, the only way, and I mean the only way we can achieve and do what the scriptures ask of us to do, such as to become "doers of the word, and not just a hearer only, deluding ourselves," is for the Child of God to trust, and place and maintain their Faith exclusively in Christ and His Atoning Sacrifice at Calvary Cross where the victory was won. This allows the Holy Spirit to carry out both the will and to-do His good pleasure in our life. (Romans 8:2, Phil. 2:13, Gal. 2:20-21)

The Bible says in 2 Cor. 13:4, that Jesus was crucified through weakness. Which it had to be because Gods Grace is only made perfect in weakness. Therefore, through weakness Jesus was crucified that He may taste death by the Grace of God (Hebrews 2:9). As Children of God we get to taste that same death in Christ daily by picking up our own cross (which can only be done by trusting His Grace which is made perfect through our weakness by placing and maintaining our Faith exclusively in Christ and His Finished Work at Calvary Cross where the victory was won) and walking with Christ in the newness of life (His victory). Rom. 6:3-5, Rom. 8:17, Gal. 2:20-21, 2 Cor. 4:11, 2 Cor. 12:9-10, 2 Cor. 13:4, Hebrews 2:9

The fruit that a Child of God bears comes only by Righteousness which is by Grace (Gal. 2:21). Grace only comes through the weakness and death of Christ (2 Cor. 12:9-10). Therefore, Grace is only made perfect through weakness (not our flesh); but only by trusting and placing and maintaining our Faith exclusively in Christ and the Cross. This is the only way Grace flows in a Child of Gods life. This Child of God is considered weak, humble, and broken before God. (THE BEATITUDES MATTHEW 5)

Any other way we stray from the old path.