Calling All Introverts.

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Aussie52

Well-known member
Aug 31, 2022
809
870
93
Introverts are usually quiet individuals with a rich interior life, hate crowds but love quiet times alone. When an introvert comes to Christ, this usually remains in place. However, being an introvert has its challenges as a Christian. Being an active part of a Church congregation, opening up to people, sharing one's faith, can often be daunting.
If you are an introvert Christian, what have been your challenges? How have you overcome them? How have you proved the grace of God to be your sufficiency?
Please share.
 
See INFP thread. Mostly posts by me, looking for other INFPs, but failing to find any.

One time got up to speak in church, cos had sharing time..I was so nervous, but I had microphone, and I can't remember where I looked or if people even heard me, but I did it, only cos God was nudging me, never would have otherwise. Basically, if I don't speak up, someone else will, but God give me something nobody else has, and He will give me courage and the words to say.

Karaoke is helpful!
 
ISFJ here. When I have to preach, I tend to be a bit nervous, but it is afterwards that I feel like climbing under a rock and hiding. I think when I have to do anything in public, that I switch into pseudo-extrovert mode for a while, then when finished, go back to being an emotionally exhausted introvert.
In all this, God by His grace enables me to do what is not in the 'natural'.
Thanks for sharing, Lanolin.
Blessings.
 
There was a really great book on the subject several years ago called introverts in the church. It's definitely a struggle to feel like being an introvert isn't somehow less spiritual in our super extraverted churches. I know since high school I've kind of found myself as someone working the screen that puts the words up front for the songs an sermon, that's a good position for an introvert. Work days can also be good ways for introverts to serve as they can usually find a solitary task to work on at such times.

As for talking to people / making connections, my introvert rule would be let your clothes do the talking. If you're really in to a certain show or hobby or something get a shirt that reflects that. Other introverts may comment on that if they share the interest. One of our great advantages as introverts is that we're more likely to read the writings of christians of previous eras and other countries and that can help grow our faith beyond our present cultural boundaries. As introverted Christians we also have a head start on developing our inner personal life with God. So there's a lot we bring to the table that the church needs, but we have to remind ourselves of it.
 
The only good thing about Covid 19 is that we don't have to greet each other at church anymore before the sermon starts during church service. I HATED that part of the service and would purposely come in late. Now I go early with plenty of time before the service starts!

I read this book called "Quiet." I'm too lazy right now to talk about it so I asked AI to do it:

-=<❤️>=-​

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking is a 2012 nonfiction book by Susan Cain that argues modern Western culture undervalues introverts, leading to a "colossal waste of talent, energy, and happiness." Cain traces the rise of the "Extrovert Ideal"—the belief that the ideal self is gregarious and alpha—and uses research in psychology, neuroscience, and biology to demonstrate that introversion is a normal, valuable temperament characterized by a preference for minimal stimulation.

The book distinguishes introversion from shyness and highlights the advantages of introverted traits, such as deep focus, creativity, and thoughtful leadership, noting that many distinguished leaders and creative figures like Steve Wozniak, Dr. Seuss, and Rosa Parks were introverts. Cain urges changes in workplaces, schools, and parenting to better accommodate introverts, suggesting that enforced teamwork and brainstorming can stifle individual creativity and that introverts often negotiate more effectively by listening and taking firm stands without inflating egos.

  • Publication: Released on January 24, 2012, by Crown Publishing Group.
  • Key Concepts: The "Extrovert Ideal," the difference between introversion and shyness, and the benefits of solitude for creative work.
  • Impact: The book became a #1 New York Times Bestseller and sparked the "Quiet Movement," encouraging society to recognize and leverage the strengths of introverted individuals.
-=<❤️>=-​

That book really helped me to understand myself better so I don't feel too awkward or bad about being an introvert. Check it out if you're an introvert!


🕊️
 
Introverts are usually quiet individuals with a rich interior life, hate crowds but love quiet times alone. When an introvert comes to Christ, this usually remains in place. However, being an introvert has its challenges as a Christian. Being an active part of a Church congregation, opening up to people, sharing one's faith, can often be daunting.
If you are an introvert Christian, what have been your challenges? How have you overcome them? How have you proved the grace of God to be your sufficiency?
Please share.

Hi @Aussie52,

I was wondering, do you have any kind of particular challenges that introverts might face in mind? Like with making friends, or trying to compete with extroverts to be heard, or not being seen as valuable in church, where those casting wide nets (usually with outgoing personalities) are given all the credit?

I love extroverts. Some of my closest friends are extreme extroverts -- but I could never truly be one. I always say, I'm an introvert who can masquerade as an extrovert when I have to. But like you, I have to withdraw -- and feel like I'm going to go into an emotional coma for a very long time. I often have to "build up" my tolerance (by being alone) to try to act outgoing if I have a particular event coming up that's going to take big (for me at least) extrovert energy.

I have found that I work best in the shadows. I like volunteer projects behind the scenes that often no one knows about but would miss if it wasn't done (cleaning/organizing, putting things together like greeting packs or kid's activity bags, etc.)

I've also found that my calling seems to work best in one-on-one situations. God tends to put me in circumstances (classes, groups, work,) where I wind up getting to know people over long periods of time -- usually years.

So no, I'm not the person who can stand up and preach to a crowd (Oddly, I have no problem speaking in front of crowds if given something to say, like sharing a story; I just don't have any interest in teaching.) But I might know a co-worker for 3 years, know the names of all their kids, a long list of the major events and hurts in their lives, and have listened to hours of family stories.

For me (and I can only speak for my own situation,) it makes people much more receptive when I try to bring up the topic of spiritual things. Over the years, some have accepted the invitation to church and made the choice to follow the Lord.

Jesus said we are to "fishers of men" (all people.)

Extroverts often seem to be equipped with nets.

For me as an introvert, I just have a little kiddie-sized fishing pole, and am often drawn to maybe one fish at a time.

But I'm pretty sure that to God, even one fish every few years still counts. :)
 
Ah, the conundrum of being introverted in the Church.

The Kingdom of God is within? No problem! God's children are gregarious like sheep? Oh heck no, can I just be a sheepdog who circles the periphery of the flock for herding's sake?

I'd have felt more at home at Church if God had likened his children to some solitary creature like a moose. But I've had to concede that Christ's sheep flock together, graze together, and stay together.

I once hoped, in vain, that most people would be too busy seeking the limelight to notice me, but God made me like a black hole in the spotlight, pulling people's attention, where I don't seek it!
 
By gum, it's Joe Rogan!

His rogue moose must be genetically modified hybrids. The result of some alien interloper gaining temporal access to the three spatial dimensions of our existence, after a neanderthal hunter experimenting with DMT broke wind, piercing time and space.

Word to the wise. Don't moose with introverts who are trying to remain anonymoose. We might just stomp you out. 😇
 
I'm a sheep, but I have to find other sheep to be comfortable, sometimes church can feel like a pack of wild dogs to me. All howling at the moon. I then feel like I want to run away.

I really need to find a barbershop quartet. When two or three gather in His name... not two or three hundred. Flock size is greatly exaggerated in some churches.
 
Thank you to everyone who has shared. I believe that I read somewhere that 75-80% of Church people are introverts. However, most of what goes on is geared towards extroverts. We need as the Church, to reorientate things so that the 75-80% are not only included but released in their 'gifting' to serve Christ and the Body of Christ in a way appropriate to their introversion.
We can teach introverts to be witnesses by teaching them to build relationships with others first rather than the salesman type of witnessing.
We can teach introverts, who have a rich interior life, to deepen their relationship with Christ through prayer, worship and intercession in their private devotional life.
Often introverts, who usually quietly sit on the periphery of the congregation, can by the Spirit, be aware of those who may be struggling with problems. They can often come 'alongside' and gently minister to others' in a way extroverts can't.
Thanks again for sharing.
Blessings.
 
Introverts are usually quiet individuals with a rich interior life, hate crowds but love quiet times alone. When an introvert comes to Christ, this usually remains in place. However, being an introvert has its challenges as a Christian. Being an active part of a Church congregation, opening up to people, sharing one's faith, can often be daunting.
If you are an introvert Christian, what have been your challenges? How have you overcome them? How have you proved the grace of God to be your sufficiency?
Please share.
For many years I hardly talked to people. But a short time after being saved, as the Lord tempered and taught me, that totally changed.
I not only share with the Lord's people regularly in the meetings, but also with the unsaved as the Lord leads and blesses. I even set up my own youtube page for messages and music. The Lord is so very very good. To Him Be The Glory.
 
Church means people. Lots of them. Mostly strangers. I have made friends in church. I am not afraid of crowds. Public speaking would not bother me, but I have little to say. Yet, I could type all day... or used to could. Looking for a few good friends.
Church might not mean lots of people, if it is a small gathering of believers. Either way, there is nothing better than having fellowship with the right local body.