Calvinism and Context?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 19, 2020
I rarely present individual texts because I despise the practice of proof texting, so to accuse me of cherry picking is absolutely out of touch with my methodology.

cv's accusation of philosophizing is much closer, but that's because I prefer to wrestle with what the proof texts presented mean and all I've gotten in response to speaking of matters of context has either been crickets or other proof texts.

As for why I ignored most of your and cv's questions, it's the same reason that Jesus ignored the accusers of the adulterous woman in John 8.
Any excuse.....to not answer the scripture we presented to you....plus your usual jibber,jibber,zzzzz

E

EleventhHour

I rarely present individual texts because I despise the practice of proof texting, so to accuse me of cherry picking is absolutely out of touch with my methodology.

cv's accusation of philosophizing is much closer, but that's because I prefer to wrestle with what the proof texts presented mean and all I've gotten in response to speaking of matters of context has either been crickets or other proof texts.

As for why I ignored most of your and cv's questions, it's the same reason that Jesus ignored the accusers of the adulterous woman in John 8.
I agree but all their proof texts are exactly the same, another well known fact, much like a cult.

Apr 2, 2020
I agree but all their proof texts are exactly the same, another well known fact, much like a cult.
I suspect that's a large part of why they cycle through them rather than getting into contextual discourse. If they accepted any doubt to their "plain text" interpretation the entire system gets undermined.

May 19, 2020
Calling you out for hypocrasy is not self-pity.

It's just calling you a hypocrite.

Which you are.reflected back at ya!..as for out of context...you do it all the time......it’s all about you,you,you.

May 19, 2020
I suspect that's a large part of why they cycle through them rather than getting into contextual discourse. If they accepted any doubt to their "plain text" interpretation the entire system gets undermined.

Nothing you post is in context.....apart from what you deem as context.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
And cv's "pity and mercy" excuse?

If it weren't for double standards, I doubt you'd have any.
If it weren't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all.

Apr 2, 2020
Nothing you post is in context.....apart from what you deem as context.
My exegetical method has remained the same for every verse that I've discussed. Identify the genre in order to know what type of literary devices to expect, identify the pericope and the immediate topic being discussed, identify where this fits within the particular book, identify where the book fits in Scripture as a whole, bring in verses from outside that either conflict or support the interpretation and see what needs to give.

Just_Jo

May 29, 2020
Sad day when one goes to bed happy as a clam in sauce.( About to be devoured)
Another thinks it's all a joke for the rest of us...we're all wrong!

Sad day a coming!
Swing low sweet chariot,coming for to carry me home!

Blue_Of_Lake

Jun 12, 2020
My exegetical method has remained the same for every verse that I've discussed. Identify the genre in order to know what type of literary devices to expect, identify the pericope and the immediate topic being discussed, identify where this fits within the particular book, identify where the book fits in Scripture as a whole, bring in verses from outside that either conflict or support the interpretation and see what needs to give.

what about the Spirit? are you listening for God's voice in each Scripture?

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Sad day when one goes to bed happy as a clam in sauce.( About to be devoured)
Another thinks it's all a joke for the rest of us...we're all wrong!

Sad day a coming!
Swing low sweet chariot,coming for to carry me home!
The chosen/elect believers to have nothing to be sad about my friend. They only have trials, which themselves are working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory.

Just_Jo

May 29, 2020
Tooooooo late here to be up howling with the wolves!
My shepherd calls me into His keep of sweet rest!

Night all

Apr 2, 2020
what about the Spirit? are you listening for God's voice in each Scripture?
Yes, but that's separate from interpretation. There is only one meaning to each Scripture, though the applications of each verse are endlessly being revealed by the Spirit.

E

EleventhHour

Gentlemen, gentlemen. I see that we will have to once again clean up your mess.
May I draw to your attention to the (COUGH! COUGH!) DOCTRINE of the elect remnant.

Rom 9:11
for they not yet having been born nor having done anything good or evil, so that the purpose of God according to election might stand,

Rom 11:5
In the same way, at the present time there is a remnant chosen by grace.

No realistic discussion nor assessment of the nature of the "assembly in the wilderness" could EVER make sense without BEGINNING with the novel never before fully codified, revealed and understood DOCTRINE of the chosen/elect remnant of Israel.

Shame on you. Just shame on you that's all I have to say about it.
Wrong and wrong!!! Basic bible theme>>>>>>> Works contrasted to Faith

You are twisting every point raised. Paul is pretty clear when there is NO pretext:

Rom 11:5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

Rom 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

If we use the word choice instead of election (and choice is one of the Greek definitions) we can see what Paul is saying more plainly:

Rom 11:5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the choice of grace.

Paul is stating that God chose grace and NOT works for the means of salvation for those who put their faith in him.

No faith no grace.

Paul's letters deal with works vs faith otherwise he is willing that many will perish (2 Pet 3:9) states he's not willing.

Calvinites make people the target of "election/choice" for salvation rather than the means.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Since the kids can't seem to play nice this thread is closed. I've warned publicly numerous times in recent months about keeping discussions civil, and discussing the topic not the participants in the discussion and some can't seem to comply so unfortunately it means my hand has been forced.

Status
Not open for further replies.