Can a Christian be a hermit?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Komentaja

Jul 29, 2022
What I mean by a hermit is someone who lives alone in the woods and doesn't interact much with others. I like that type of lifestyle, but I do live in a big city currently and interact with others but the idea of it is just so peaceful.

But isnt a Christian's job to spread the Gospel? How you gonna do it living in the woods? What do you guys think?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
noun
noun: hermit; plural noun: hermits

a person living in solitude as a religious discipline.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
What I mean by a hermit is someone who lives alone in the woods and doesn't interact much with others. I like that type of lifestyle, but I do live in a big city currently and interact with others but the idea of it is just so peaceful.

But isnt a Christian's job to spread the Gospel? How you gonna do it living in the woods? What do you guys think?
This is quite a common thing in my church (east orthodox tradition) and historically we have many monks in history which set an example early after a few generations when Jesus was resurrected and ascended.

But for others, mainly Protestants, they think that they will “work” for the Catholic Church if they do this Or they think it goes in conflict with evangelizing which they don’t do anyway or do a very bad job at it with the approach.
I wanted to be a monk when I was a teenager and go to Mt. Athos, Greece but my mom needed me and it didn’t work out.
At heart I am still like that, because I live in this world but I am not from this world.

Jul 20, 2022
This is quite a common thing in my church (east orthodox tradition) and historically we have many monks in history which set an example early after a few generations when Jesus was resurrected and ascended.

But for others, mainly Protestants, they think that they will “work” for the Catholic Church if they do this Or they think it goes in conflict with evangelizing which they don’t do anyway or do a very bad job at it with the approach.
I wanted to be a monk when I was a teenager and go to Mt. Athos, Greece but my mom needed me and it didn’t work out.
At heart I am still like that, because I live in this world but I am not from this world.

Jul 20, 2022
I don't know what your religious group teaches and that is for you to decide if it is in accord with our Holy Bible. I would suggest you not aspire to some high religious place, but just be sure your beliefs are in acccord with "Bible only' as shown in our New Testament of God's Word. I use the Scofield KJV Study Bible, but there are others that also make it plain. The universal Church as Protestant believers use will give you the whole expectation of our Creator God, in His beloved Son: the Lord Jesus; note John 3, Romans 8, John 14, etc. for the Redemption truth, and see the Epistles for Church truth, and then live that spiritual life in communion with our Savior and Lord over all: Jesus Christ. I find some good help on Bible truth from such as Bible Truth Publishers, Addison, IL --USA. Keep looking up and seek the essentials as Redemption Way, Church Truth, and Spiritual Life as the Word of God has provided us. I will pray for you.
--1ambassador.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
I don't know what your religious group teaches and that is for you to decide if it is in accord with our Holy Bible. I would suggest you not aspire to some high religious place, but just be sure your beliefs are in acccord with "Bible only' as shown in our New Testament of God's Word. I use the Scofield KJV Study Bible, but there are others that also make it plain. The universal Church as Protestant believers use will give you the whole expectation of our Creator God, in His beloved Son: the Lord Jesus; note John 3, Romans 8, John 14, etc. for the Redemption truth, and see the Epistles for Church truth, and then live that spiritual life in communion with our Savior and Lord over all: Jesus Christ. I find some good help on Bible truth from such as Bible Truth Publishers, Addison, IL --USA. Keep looking up and seek the essentials as Redemption Way, Church Truth, and Spiritual Life as the Word of God has provided us. I will pray for you.
--1ambassador.
I understand friend. Despite a vast theological and cultural difference between us I don’t think this is right/wrong type of “game” but as long as you have given your heart to God and Jesus, it doesn’t really matter at that point who is “right” or “wrong”.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
I understand friend. Despite a vast theological and cultural difference between us I don’t think this is right/wrong type of “game” but as long as you have given your heart to God and Jesus, it doesn’t really matter at that point who is “right” or “wrong”.
See post 25
Give your heart to Jesus?

Jun 12, 2021

Pray to God. If God wanted you to preach the gospel, the bottom verse will happen to you.
Jeremiah 20:9
King James Version

9 Then I said, I will not make mention of him, nor speak any more in his name. But his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
There is no post #25 in that thread... .:unsure:. At least, not yet...
Oops!
Thanks for the info. It's a link to #21.
The point is that I had just read how Jeanette had given "their heart to Christ at 14 years old."..if I remember right.

I heard that a lot over the years of going to Baptist churches. I searched and searched, read and read....used an exhaustive concordance and have yet to find that command to be saved. I just think the subject should be clarified because extra phrases the Bible does not use are confusing.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Hey Bob let me put this in terms that you might understand.

It’s called “alternative medicine” :D
My mistake. The link I posted to is #21, not #25.
Before I read your post, I had addressed Jeanette. I make mistakes as I did with the post number. I heard many Baptist preachers make mistakes too. I guess because we're human. Getting some things wrong however have a greater consequence than other things. I take it that Eastern Orthodox priests also use the phrase, " give your heart to Jesus Christ" and be saved. That was always confusing to me. What do you mean by that?.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
My mistake. The link I posted to is #21, not #25.
Before I read your post, I had addressed Jeanette. I make mistakes as I did with the post number. I heard many Baptist preachers make mistakes too. I guess because we're human. Getting some things wrong however have a greater consequence than other things. I take it that Eastern Orthodox priests also use the phrase, " give your heart to Jesus Christ" and be saved. That was always confusing to me. What do you mean by that?.
Well, as I said to the other person before, there are vast theological and cultural differences here.
The first thing is that we don’t harp on salvation all day long but we try to live a life like Jesus now, not for some event in the future or to feel secure or because we get a reward.
We are happy NOW with Christ.
Monks don’t do it because they have to, or because some other instruction, they do it because they love God.
So basically leave everything and this world behind For God.
Our approach is more spiritual whereas another approach like yours may be more technical or transactional.
The point is that there is no right or wrong way when you love God or Jesus so we don’t have to treat it like that but I know most can’t help it and they will feel the need to make themselves feel right about their Bible interpretation and everybody else is wrong.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021

The church is the body of Christ. If anything, Christians are not sufficiently in fellowship to be effective as the church as we could be. Every believer has a role in the body. We should be encouraging one another to fulfil our calling in Christ.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Split your time 50/50. Half the time be a hermit crab, and half the time be an outgoing evangelist.:cool:

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
While both the Orthodox and the Catholic churches encourage Monasticism, Christ and His apostles never taught this practice. Indeed, the spiritual Christian was NOT to isolate himself but be salt and light in the present evil world. And Paul actually warned against Monasticism and ascetism.

COLOSSIAN 2: WARNING AGAINST VOLUNTARY HUMILITY AND ASCETISM
18Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind... 20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, 21Touch not; taste not; handle not; 22 Which all are to perish with the using; after the commandments and doctrines of men? 23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021

What do you think? Do you feel like the Lord is calling you to do this? If so, why?

I used to live in the big city but the Lord called me to a much smaller town where I don't have as much interaction with others. I'm Native American and where I live now I'm in the nation so all my health care and dental are taken care of. In the city I didn't have any of that and I was constantly stressed about what would happen if I got sick. I also had to use public transit which I absolutely hate. I felt like I was going crazy. Now I can easily bike or walk wherever I need to go and have transport available through my tribe if I need it.

The point of all this is to say it's really between you and God and He knows what's best. If you feel like it's His will for you then do it, whether that's to go or stay. He knows what's in the future so maybe He wants to prepare you for something you can't see now. Best wishes.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023

yes, a hermit can be a Christian. & yes again, we're supposed to spread the word to the whole world as ambassadors & soul winners for Christ. all Christians don't always do all things we're supposed to. imagine how many people way back were hermits because they were the 1st ones to live where they lived! if someone became a Christian 1st, then became a sylvan, (hermit), you can still pray for people anywhere. i have a hospital project praying for people i'll never know. sure, there is nothing like a stay of solitude somewhere. that's got to be 1 of the top ways to draw close to Jesus.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
"Can" a Christian be a hermit? Yes.

"Should" a Christian be a hermit? No.

Next question, please.