Can a Christian lose salvation?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

AndrewMorgan

Jul 10, 2022
QUOTE="Evmur, post: 4993246, member: 305591"]you are proof ... you can't lose your salvation.[/QUOTE]

I ask - What do you make of Hebrews 6:4-6, where it says "It is impossible for those who were once enlightened...if they shall fall away, to renew themselves unto repentance...?

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
What do you make of Hebrews 6:4-6, where it says "It is impossible for those who were once enlightened...if they shall fall away, to renew themselves unto repentance...?
Is Hebrews for the Body of Christ (Rom - Phm), or, studied 'Rightly
Divided,' for Israel?

For us, the Body of Christ, God Teaches:

God's OPERATION On all HIS New-born babes In Christ
+
God's Eternal Assurance
------------------------------
Precious friend(s):

Grace, Peace, And JOY In Christ, And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided
(+ I and II)!

AndrewMorgan

Jul 10, 2022
Is Hebrews for the Body of Christ (Rom - Phm), or, studied 'Rightly
Divided,' for Israel?

For us, the Body of Christ, God Teaches:

God's OPERATION On all HIS New-born babes In Christ
+
God's Eternal Assurance
------------------------------
Precious friend(s):

Divided
(+ I and II)!

Thanks for replying.
First, I wrote "May I ask..." - the "May" somehow got lost.
I've thought and worried about this verse and others like it off and on for decades. I've heard both sides vehemently defended by different people.
Unless I'm mistaken, you take the OSAS stance.
I'm unsure what the passage indicates.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
Thanks for replying.
You are quite welcome.
First, I wrote "May I ask..." - the "May" somehow got lost.
I apologize; I did not highlight that part.
I've thought and worried about this verse and others like it off and on for decades. I've heard both sides vehemently defended by different people.
Sorry to hear; guess most of us have wondered about difficult verses like the
few that are used to vehemently declare that "the saved can be lost."
I use these rules in my own studies to help me understand doctrine - here is

# 6: The Best "Interpretive" Commentary On The Bible Is :
The BIBLE Itself!

NEVER ever interpret The Many Plain Scriptures by the "few" difficult​
verses, But, ALWAYS Always Interpret the few Obscure/Difficult/Dubious​
verses By ALL Of The MANY Plain and Clear Passages Of God’s Pure And
Holy Word!
Unless I'm mistaken, you take the OSAS stance.
Correct, I believe, for me, anyway, That God Says He Saved me With HIS
Eternal Life (~
6-Dozen Plain and Clear Passages) as my Evidence!
+ about 6-Dozen Here Also, Directly Addressed to me as a "member Of The Body Of Christ"
I'm unsure what the passage indicates.
Possibly these comparisons may be helpful - briefly:

Christ Has "always Known those Saved Who 'Are HIS Own'"
(2Ti 2:19; Eph 1:4-6)

and:

Christ Has "NEVER Known those Who 'Are NOT HIS Own'" (Mat 7:21-23)

The NON-osas proponents have, so far, been Unable to vehemently
show Scriptures for the impossible doctrine of:

'Christ ONCE knew the saved, but, when lost, He NO LONGER knows them'.
Make sense? Hope this and the above 'links' will be encouraging and
helpful.

Thanks for taking time to have This Great Bible Discussion!
---------------------------------------
Precious friend, Andrew:

Divided
(+ I and II)!

Chris Endrizzi

HeIsHere

May 21, 2022
Jesus was talking about the raising of the dead in John 5. That’s when he said eternal life comes, a future thing.

Luke 20
34Jesus replied, “The people of this age marry and are given in marriage. 35But those who are considered worthy of taking part in the age to come and in the resurrection from the dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage, 36and they can no longer die; for they are like the angels. They are God’s children, since they are children of the resurrection.

So as to whether or not there is immortality right now, I don’t think so. Consider what Paul said too:

1 Corinthians 15
52in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. 54When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.”

So a question of reflection:

Have you been raised imperishable and clothed with immortality at the last trumpet? Wouldn’t it follow that before the last trumpet one is perishable and mortal?
The short answer here is that eternal life (quality of life) is not synonymous to immortality.

So there is a conflation of concepts.

Eternal life is a gift given in the here and now.

Scripture cannot be correctly understood until one gets eschatology right.

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
Seems to me hyper/ultra/WIDER Mercy would Definitely fit in with:

hyper/ultra/WIDER Grace and:

hyper/ultra/WIDER dispensationalism, eh?
I do not believe there will be just a few shrivelled souls on His right hand and the overwhelming mass of mankind on His left hand.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
I do not believe there will be just a few shrivelled souls on His right hand and the overwhelming mass of mankind on His left hand.
I agree that they will not be shriveled, but...

Matthew 7
13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
I agree that they will not be shriveled, but...

Matthew 7
13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
He might have said "none there be who find it" John Wesley was one who "found" it and immediately he ran down to the broad way and pulled multitudes off that road and into the narrow way.

Peter had asked "Lord will few be saved?" Jesus said "that is not your business Peter, your business is to stay in the narrow way so that I might use you, if you will stay in the narrow way I will use you to catch great multitudes of men just like I used you to catch great multitudes of fish"

... that is a paraphrase by the way .... :)

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
There will be a lot on His right but the majority will be on His left. What you're saying is wishful thinking but not sound scripturally.

Mar 4, 2020
The short answer here is that eternal life (quality of life) is not synonymous to immortality.

So there is a conflation of concepts.

Eternal life is a gift given in the here and now.

Scripture cannot be correctly understood until one gets eschatology right.
how so?

HeIsHere

May 21, 2022
Jesus is speaking directly to his audience, it needs to be understood that way first.

Jesus is often referencing the near future not 2000 years in the future.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
There will be a lot on His right but the majority will be on His left. What you're saying is wishful thinking but not sound scripturally.
very simple-
if one truly believes that Christ is Lord and fully trusts Him for salvation, they will be accepted.

those that do not will be rejected.

Mar 4, 2020
Jesus is speaking directly to his audience, it needs to be understood that way first.

Jesus is often referencing the near future not 2000 years in the future.
So you think the below passage isn’t about the future? When did Jesus sit on a throne, with his 12 disciples, Judas Iscariot included, each having a throne, to judge Israel? When did they inherit eternal life?

Matthew 19
28Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.29And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life.

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
So you think the below passage isn’t about the future? When did Jesus sit on a throne, with his 12 disciples, Judas Iscariot included, each having a throne, to judge Israel? When did they inherit eternal life?

Matthew 19
28Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.29And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life.
Does Judas Iscariot get a throne?!?

Mar 4, 2020
Does Judas Iscariot get a throne?!?
Excellent question. Judas was at one time told he would have eternal life and a throne so as long as what Jesus said is true then the answer to your question is yes.

Now here’s the important point. Did Judas remain OSAS or did he lose his salvation? Before anyone says “he was never saved to begin with” then I must insist Jesus’ words prove otherwise.

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
Excellent question. Judas was at one time told he would have eternal life and a throne so as long as what Jesus said is true then the answer to your question is yes.

Now here’s the important point. Did Judas remain OSAS or did he lose his salvation? Before anyone says “he was never saved to begin with” then I must insist Jesus’ words prove otherwise.
Maybe Judas wasn't considered one who followed Jesus? It sounds like there is a throne for each tribe of Israel, not for each of the disciples.

John146

Jan 13, 2016

Salvation comes through the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. None of them had salvation before the cross. Is there another way?

Mar 4, 2020
Salvation comes through the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. None of them had salvation before the cross. Is there another way?
The way to salvation before the cross is if Jesus and/or God say "you have eternal life." That's what Jesus said to Judas at one time.