Can a man love ONLY ONE woman?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Is it possible that a man can ONLY LOVE ONE woman?

God created ONE WOMAN for Adam, yet the kings of Israel had so many wives.

Probably need some kind of a definition of "love" so, I'm asking about a man loving a woman with all his body, soul and spirit.

Feel free to define love in the way you understand it.

I look forward to reading your posts!

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
why is the commandment "love one another" not "love one or the other" ?

is that even relevant ??

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
why is the commandment "love one another" not "love one or the other" ?

is that even relevant ??
Well, I do believe that as believers we are to "love one another," however, I'm talking about in a marriage between a man and a woman, can a man intimately love ONLY his wife (body, soul and spirit) and not other women?

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Yay!!! There is hope! LOL! :giggle:

They probably do exist but, I've just never known one or seen one. It's like believing the loch-nest monster is real. LOL! :giggle:

Thank you, Demi, if you have one, you are blessed! :love: May he guard and protect your heart always, amen. :)

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
Yay!!! There is hope! LOL! :giggle:

They probably do exist but, I've just never known one or seen one. It's like believing the loch-nest monster is real. LOL! :giggle:

Thank you, Demi, if you have one, you are blessed! :love: May he guard and protect your heart always, amen. :)
Yes but they are hard to find and u gotta keep an eye on their police records LOL

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I think Lauffer, it is possible but only with Him. I think His dying on the cross made it possible. I think He shows us as His bride, the church, how with Him it is possible, telling husbands to love their wives as Christ Loves the Church, with all they have.

N

NoNameMcgee

@NoNameMcgee,

Thank you for posting! I did enjoy everything you said! :)(y)
Thank you lafftur🙂
I am sorry I deleted my post...

I have a habit of doing that at the 4 minute mark if I didn't read my own post in time to check for typos.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Thank you lafftur🙂
I am sorry I deleted my post...

I have a habit of doing that at the 4 minute mark if I didn't read my own post in time to check for typos.
Oh goodness, it was beautiful! :eek:

N

NoNameMcgee

Oh goodness, it was beautiful! :eek:
Now I feel bad I deleted it, I can't even remember half the points I made😣

lol

Honestly
I do not believe it is possible for a man, to be truely in love with a woman... and also desire another wife.

If normal love outside of marriage is wanting the best for someone to the point of self sacrifice, as Jesus loves us.

Then I believe to be in love would be the same plus a desire to be joined with them forever. (which if true, grows over time instead of fades)

I don't believe you can want the best for a woman who is your wife, and also make her suffer through you being with another, or many other women.

Multiple wives is bad for the wives hearts (Michal looking at David and despising him in her heart)

It is bad for the husbands heart.
"Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away"
(deut. 17-17)

It is bad for our ability to witness.
“If any be blameless, the husband of one wife"
(titus 1-6)

I believe we can only be in love with one person at a time if we are truely in love, and a desire for more is of flesh and not love...

(unless we are speaking of us as the bride of Jesus as charlirenee pointed out.. but we are never the husband in that scenario )

(sorry its not the same as the first one lafftur 😔)

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Now I feel bad I deleted it, I can't even remember half the points I made😣

lol

(sorry its not the same as the first one lafftur 😔)
Pretty darn close to the first one! Thank you, NoNameMcgee! :)(y)

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Loving multiple women....

are we talking concurrently or consecutively?

N

NoNameMcgee

Loving multiple women....

are we talking concurrently or consecutively?

Concurrently and genuinely from the heart, I believe.

(I do think it is possible to fall in love more than once consecutively, just not simultaneously)

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Probably need some kind of a definition of "love" so, I'm asking about a man loving a woman with all his body, soul and spirit
does that necessarily = "marriage" ?

couldn't you love your mother with all your body, soul and spirit, or your sister?
or even a stranger, robbed & beaten & left in a ditch on the roadside . . ?

;
)

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
The Bible says it is best to have NONE, so to take on multiples is going the wrong direction ;)

Unless you hold certain restricted church offices, I don't believe a man is restricted to one wife; but, and here's the important part, ONCE YOU TAKE A SPOUSE IT IS FOREVER. Sure you may be able to buy a man-made document that says you are divorced, but in God's eyes, when the two make one they are one forever.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
does that necessarily = "marriage" ?

couldn't you love your mother with all your body, soul and spirit, or your sister?
or even a stranger, robbed & beaten & left in a ditch on the roadside . . ?

;)
posthuman, in post #3 I stated that I was talking about:

Well, I do believe that as believers we are to "love one another," however, I'm talking about in a marriage between a man and a woman, can a man intimately love ONLY his wife (body, soul and spirit) and not other women?

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I say yes, with an explanation.
People are imperfect and can be too easily swayed or sidetracked. Since we are not perfect, neither is our love. I think, ideally, the answer would be no, but in a fallen reality the answer is yes. Humankind does not, in it's current state, possess the capacity to be so limited.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
The Bible says it is best to have NONE, so to take on multiples is going the wrong direction ;)

Unless you hold certain restricted church offices, I don't believe a man is restricted to one wife; but, and here's the important part, ONCE YOU TAKE A SPOUSE IT IS FOREVER. Sure you may be able to buy a man-made document that says you are divorced, but in God's eyes, when the two make one they are one forever.
But, can a man LOVE ONLY ONE WOMAN - his spouse preferably?

A man can have only one wife, yet that doesn't mean he loves her.