Can a man love ONLY ONE woman?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Yea have a bit of issues with OPS definition of love, its not the Bibles definition in 1 Corinthians 13

Solemateleft

Honor, Courage, Commitment
Jun 25, 2017
Is it possible that a man can ONLY LOVE ONE woman?

God created ONE WOMAN for Adam, yet the kings of Israel had so many wives.

Probably need some kind of a definition of "love" so, I'm asking about a man loving a woman with all his body, soul and spirit.

Feel free to define love in the way you understand it.

I look forward to reading your posts!
ABSOLUTELY!!!
Wolves, Beavers, Gibbons (tree monkeys), Eagles and Swans are our Lord's examples of several monogamous breeds of animal within his creation...
I do believe that there are MEN who have the ability, desire and wherewithal to love ONLY ONE woman - unconditionally with all his heart to death do them part...
Of course NOT ALL MEN have this capacity nor desire...
There are men who can be monogamous with one woman in their lives for an entire life, while some are (or can be) monogamous to only one woman during different phases of their lives - maybe lost a beloved wife along the way...

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
If a man has 2 daughters, can he only love one of them? Imo, a man can love more than one woman just as a woman can love more than one man.. But in the marital sense, a man or woman are only allowed to love one. There are degree's or levels of love, and a person can love others without a physical or emotional connection that comes with a marital commitment... Or they can play the field if they're up for that headache. :)

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
There are entire generations in my church.

Kids / parents / grand parents / great grand parents etc. Who prove it’s possible.

Just one thing. Now what are we going to talk about on Valentine’s Day. lol
Yep, that's another pagan holiday. Looking forward to the threads that will be started. :)

C

claysmithr

Does Christ have more than 1 bride?

L

Locoponydirtman

Remind me to never take relationship advice from any of y'all.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018

Probably need some kind of a definition of "love" so, I'm asking about a man loving a woman with all his body, soul and spirit.

I can answer,, unless im a weird dude.

YES.

I have never been married but the times I have been in a relationship (even before I knew a thing about Christ btw) I have genuinely loved the woman and have been faithful, not even flirting with anyone else.

I have always valued loyalty above all.

This is probably too much info, but I still miss one, and still love, unfortunately she isnt a Christian.

Jan 2, 2019
why is the commandment "love one another" not "love one or the other" ?

is that even relevant ??
I believe that the Lord is trying to tell us to love all of your brothers and sisters in Christ, not just the ones we are more closer to and pay more attention too. I don't think that he was saying love this one person, or a different person if you feel that they are more important and deserve love instead of another person. As Christians, we are required to love even the people who are hard to love, like our enemy's. Thanks for your post!

K

kaylagrl

Yep, that's another pagan holiday. Looking forward to the threads that will be started. :)

Hahah no married man in his right mind would try to say Valentines is a pagan holiday. Never seen a thread on Valentines being pagan.

Mar 28, 2016

Loving many woman as in the two become one is not loving God.

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
This is kind of a weird topic...just saying.

For the guys saying it's ok for a man to love more women than his wife. How do you feel about her loving more men than you? Just asking.

But anyhow, I'm pretty sure Jesus wasn't the least bit easy on this type of thing. He said even if a man looks on woman to lust after her he had committed adultery in his heart.

If you truly love someone then you would not want to hurt that person by engaging in romantic relationships with others....Just my thoughts on it anyhow.

Mel85

Daughter of the True King
Mar 28, 2018
Love is not feelings. Those emotional warm fuzzies are hormone driven lust. Love is to actively participate in and work toward someone's best interest, with out regard to ones own personal feelings.
The warm fuzzies, and feeling of satisfaction, and the feeling of close connection should be a result of mutual investment into the best for each other.
It would not be possible for me to have those feelings for any other woman than my wife because we have work so hard together and have gone through so much together. Our closeness is because a since of shared life experience.
Sure some young thang could come flaggin and waggin, and cause me to have the warm fuzzies but that's not love it's lust. She could even make me feel good about myself while she came around, that's not love either. That too is lust. This can happen to any man or woman, it causes affairs and cheating and destroys marriages and families. So when it invariably happens I think of the investment I have in a lifetime with my wife and I laugh and walk away knowing it's the devil who comes to steal kill and destroy.
Why do people not understand the distinction between love and lust? This has always baffled me, even before I was a Christian.
Lust = spirit of Jezebel as well.

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
According to the Isley Brother's.....If you can't be with the one you love...LOVE the one your with.....Just kidding...I'm sure that ain't right, either.....lol

Nov 26, 2012
I think if you are totally satisfied and invested in a monogamous relationship you wouldn’t be looking for the opportunity to invest in another relationship. It would be like wanting to go to another restaurant after leaving your favourite all-you-can-eat buffet. It’s just gluttony.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
My question is: WHY are we guys often attracted to the wicked women?

Then again I have seen this play vice versa too: women being attracted to the wicked men. My own mom is an example of this, THINKING she could "tame" a thug! Well bad mistake. Didnt work out.

WHY!? Why dont people make better choices? (This includes me btw, not being sanctimonious here)

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
According to the Isley Brother's.....If you can't be with the one you love...LOVE the one your with.....Just kidding...I'm sure that ain't right, either.....lol
A decade or so ago i was listening to the radio, a rock station. A woman DJ was on that was in her prime, so to speak, in the 1970's. Maybe it was Carol Miller, I am not sure. Regardless, she played the original version by Stephen Stills, and commented that, she essentially said in so many words, that the song tricked woman into having relations with guys, back in the day.
It sounded like either her, and/or one/some of her friends felt that the song was at least partly responsible for her or them being with a guy that they later regretted or were possibly angry about.