Can a Person Get to Heaven

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Can a person get to heaven without them using any effort?

• Total voters

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
God does everything in His sphere and we need to do all we can in our sphere.

Each choice is a step closer or a step away from God.

Jesus holds out the golden line to save us but we need to do our part to take hold of that salvation.

By faith we recieve God's gift. But it is our choice.

The doors are in front of us and we need to choose which door we will walk through. Jesus has made heaven possible so there is no boasting on our part.

Joh 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.
Joh 12:24-25
24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. 25 He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.
Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.......
12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. 13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. 14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Without them using any effort?
Without your clear definition of "effort," it is kinda hard to answer your question.

Effort can mean different things to different people. Are you doing an "end run" around works salvation? (just wondering)

Still, the Gospel of John pretty much answers your question, especially Chapters 3 and 5.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
Unrelated subject:
How you been doing?
Watcha been up to lately?
Doing very well, busy with a lot of family stuff and some work stuff but grateful for everything and happy for everything.
Spring is coming, days are getting longer and sharing my blessings (spiritual or material) with others who don't have as much. :D

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Doing very well, busy with a lot of family stuff and some work stuff but grateful for everything and happy for everything.
Spring is coming, days are getting longer and sharing my blessings (spiritual or material) with others who don't have as much. :D
Same...lots of family stuff as well.
Getting ready for spring myself with this fruit and nut farm here. Smallgroup thing this weekend at my place and then picking up my dad for a weeks stay with us. Got nieces everywhere wanting attention. "Uncle John can I".....yeah....you get the concept.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
Greek work for effort is

Strong’s Definitions [?](Strong’s Definitions Legend)
σπουδάζω spoudázō, spoo-dad'-zo; from G4710; to use speed, i.e. to make effort, be prompt or earnest:—do (give) diligence, be diligent (forward), endeavour, labour, study.

So NO you cannot get into heave by your effort -----

Grace provides what is needed to get into heaven ----our Faith just receives it ----there is no labour on our part required to get into heaven

When you receive something ----that is free you did nothing for it -------it is a free gift ----

Now many may say that receiving is an effort ----but that is not so ---

Strong's Concordance
dechomai: to receive
Usage: receive, accept, welcome.

So your just accepting or welcoming in by your Saving Faith what is already made available to you to get into heaven ----

there is no work that you did to get into heaven ---Jesus did the work ---we receive what Jesus did to get us into heaven ----

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
well, if someone wants to call it effort, in a way, yes, it takes effort. very small at that. all us b.a. believers made the "effort" to seek out Jesus, what born again means, think about it & then make the right decision to become born again. i wouldn't use the word "effort".
Jesus endured the suffering for us, dying on the cross for our sins to be forgiven leading to salvation.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Paul says this mindset of a disciple is what we should all have

Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.”
‭‭Philippians‬ ‭3:12-15‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: but I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭9:24, 26-27‬ ‭KJV‬‬

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
a. believers made the "effort" to seek out Jesus,
No human seeks out Jesus to become a believer -----the person is drawn by God to seek out Jesus ---it is not done by us ----

John 6:44
AMP
No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him [giving him the desire to come to Me];

Chester

May 23, 2016
In my opinion: both are 100% true

We do not become a believer out of own effort; yet, on the other hand, it takes all we have and are in our coming to Christ!

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
No human seeks out Jesus to become a believer -----the person is drawn by God to seek out Jesus ---it is not done by us ----

AMP
No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him [giving him the desire to come to Me];
“and hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation; that they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:

And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent: because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭17:26-27, 30-31‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: for every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭7:7-8‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭11:6‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭4:29‬ ‭KJV‬‬

God makes us able when we listen to what he’s saying that’s how he draws people to him he sent out the gospel and said anyone who believes the gospel ….

To genuinely seek the lord is man’s purpose in this world but it’s hidden when we won’t hear the gospel and believe

If we understood the treasure we would be seekers

“Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field.

Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls: who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭13:44-46‬ ‭KJV‬‬

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011

AMP
When I came to truly believe I sought God, and He guided me to Jesus Yeshua, saying to me, "Everything is going to be just fine." I believe Him.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
how many push-ups does it take to equal one unit of belief?