Can anyone help me find a place to live?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Addison

Jun 28, 2014
Hiya everyone.

Only someone serious or really good at this please.

I'm currently living in Lansing, Michigan and I'm willing to drive maybe six or seven hours from here, but I guess that I could go anywhere if it looks good enough.

Near lake Michigan would be nice, or preferably somewhere more south so I could watch a good storm every now and then.

Nothing in the country because those people will keep you.

Sorry, but I've watched too many horror movies.

I'm trying to go on a very low budget since I need to start saving a good chunk of money.

Rent shouldn't be too much more than $600 a month or so and the surrounding area should have good enough amenities.

I would like either a back or an immediate front door, a back screen door, a balcony, or something close to this where I don't have to walk or take an elevator for a short, half smoke break outside.

No roommates or shared housing either.

I've been looking at Craigslist for about six hours a day these past two weeks, and Apartment Guides as well.

I don't know what I'm doing anymore and I'm no longer focused enough to process this all.

I could really use someone to help guide me because I don't think I can do this on my own.

I'll even pay for your services if you know a better way to do this.

Through Paypal, a deposit to your bank account, mailing you something from Amazon since I have Prime, whatever, I'll pay good too.

And yeah, I am about that desperate for help.

Private message me if you have any ideas and are willing to spend some time on the phone or in chat with me.

Please and thank you.

D

Depleted

I doubt anyone can help you since this is an international site, and you seem to be assuming we can read your mind on quite a lot.

For instance -- job? Most people have them when they're moving, or at least the possibility of one, but you never mentioned one.

How many are moving? No idea if your single or with a large family.

Vehicle? It means everything. If you've got none, you need to be able to travel by public transportation. If you have one, you have to be able to get it serviced when it breaks.

What kind of place - studio apartment or house?

Where? Yeah, Michigan is in the northern part of the Midwest, but no idea what's 6-7 hours away, and why 6-7 hours. I don't know what kind of weather MI gets, but I'm assuming it already has "A good storm now and then."

$600 a month? That's nice. What's that mean in Michigan? In Philly-talk that means, "Good luck with that dream, unless you like the ghetto." In Tennessee, that's easily doable.

You didn't give anyone enough to go on to know how to help you. But I can tell you this, just because it's in a movie doesn't mean it's real life. There are more would-be murderers per square mile in a city that there are in the country.

Aug 2, 2009
Wish I could help, Addison. I'll pray that you find a good place and soon. Have you been to court yet? If so, how did it go?

notmyown

May 26, 2016
Addison, i think of you so often. and thinking leads to prayer. you're one of my favorite people on the site. :)

have you considered a realtor? idk about Michigan (but i have family in Battle Creek and Holland and can ask)
but here in upstate NY realtors handle rentals, too.

there's usually a charge of one month's rent, though sometimes the landlord will pay it.
if there have been legal hassles in the past, i can understand wanting to avoid this route.
they're gonna want to do a credit check, blah, blah.

please feel free to PM me if there's ANY way i can assist you.
-ellie

Addison

Jun 28, 2014
Hi Depleted.

It's only me and no pets. But the way my single life has been these past few years, I should probably consider having 18 cats by now.

I do have a car so the seven hour drive is just something within my comfort zone but I guess I could go anywhere to be honest.

Yes, I know there are murderers in the city. People will kill you in the streets for no good reason.

Out it the country though, those people will keep you.
:p

Hey Gabe.

I had the case adjourned until the 31st.

No idea what will happen then.

I can't imagine being found at fault though.

I gave my landlord proper notice to leave but I'm now facing an eviction.

I've been at my home for seven years, no late payments on rent or any complaints.

Because I'm now in the process of an eviction though, no one will consider me.

I'm hoping this case will be thrown out because it's the dumbest thing ever and I have all of the conversations saved on my phone, including those where my landlord wanted me to fraud a government program.

Hi Ellie.

Omygosh. I never thought of a realtor.

That's such a good idea.

And yeah, I was looking at Holland but it's a bit expensive there.

As for now, I'll most likely be living in a hotel for a few months until I can problem solve my life.

I'll send you an email Ellie.

Thank you for being so kind to me. ❤

Aug 2, 2009
Addison, there is something called "Just cause eviction protection". I looked it up and it is law in Michigan. Basically says there are only certain reasons why a landlord can evict you:

• You haven’t paid rent;
  • You didn’t move when your lease ended;
  • You violated a lease term that the lease says will lead to eviction;
  • You caused extensive and continuing physical damage to the home;
  • You created a serious and continuing health hazard in or to the home;
  • You were involved in illegal drug activity on the property

Anything outside of those reasons constitutes an illegal conviction.
    I'll pray that you win your case in a big way.

Link to the website: Eviction: What Is It and How Does It Start? | Michigan Legal Help

Last edited:

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
DON'T go through Craigslist. There are a bunch of sickos on there. Even serial killers have gone on there and lured victims to their death..

Addison

Jun 28, 2014
Thank you so much Gabe.

When my new scum landlord bought this home about 3 1/2 years ago though, he put me on a new month to month lease (not yearly like before) so that it was okay to suddenly increase my rent by 25%. There's some legal thingy to charge like this with only having a monthly lease.

I don't think I have many rights because of that current, monthly condition.

While at court, he made no sense at all to me or the officer there.

His last words and anger were how I had to leave rent under my doormat and became so enraged that the court official didn't feel safe and thought it was about to get violent.

She broke up the meeting right then.

I guess that when a toxic person can no longer control your life, they make sure to try and find fault with you to others.

It's so unfair.

I was told to mention on his failure to give proper notice on the eviction when I go back to court on the 31st.

No messages, texts, or even a missed call, and I do have that all saved on my phone.

I do want to be gone from here, but not like this.

I texted him stating that I wanted to leave, and gave a two months advance notice (I only needed to give him one), but he never responded back until two days before I had to appear in court.

I can't find a home now because no one will consider me during such an eviction process.

I wish this world was different.

Aug 2, 2009
Just keep praying, Addison. God will find a new place for you. I promise!

D

Depleted

Hi Depleted.

It's only me and no pets. But the way my single life has been these past few years, I should probably consider having 18 cats by now.

I do have a car so the seven hour drive is just something within my comfort zone but I guess I could go anywhere to be honest.

Yes, I know there are murderers in the city. People will kill you in the streets for no good reason.

Out it the country though, those people will keep you.
:p

Hey Gabe.

I had the case adjourned until the 31st.

No idea what will happen then.

I can't imagine being found at fault though.

I gave my landlord proper notice to leave but I'm now facing an eviction.

I've been at my home for seven years, no late payments on rent or any complaints.

Because I'm now in the process of an eviction though, no one will consider me.

I'm hoping this case will be thrown out because it's the dumbest thing ever and I have all of the conversations saved on my phone, including those where my landlord wanted me to fraud a government program.

Hi Ellie.

Omygosh. I never thought of a realtor.

That's such a good idea.

And yeah, I was looking at Holland but it's a bit expensive there.

As for now, I'll most likely be living in a hotel for a few months until I can problem solve my life.

I'll send you an email Ellie.

Thank you for being so kind to me. ❤

If'n you want cheap housing, (and the ability to keep 18 cats lol), look for off-campus housing near a college/university. The downside is your neighbors might have wild parties every Thursday-Saturday night (Once you're up to off-campus housing, you're old enough to learn how to avoid classes on Fridays, so Thursday night is partying night too.) BUT that only happens during the school year, and landlords would love to have a tenant during the summer. Usually their properties are empty in summer, so added profit.

Which, BTW, if you can work a three-month deal, gives you three months in a new place to look for more suitable housing away from college life in the same town, as well as possible employment during school months. AND, landlords aren't quite as choosy as typical landlords, so an eviction notice doesn't phase them quite as much. Almost assumed for off-campus housing.

Downside is the housing can be quite funky at times. One time we were supposed to accept an octagon shaped master bedroom as our efficiency apartment. We got a tiny kitchen and our own bathroom, but the living room was supposed to be shared with the eight college men upstairs. And it was only separated by our bedroom/apartment door.

And my last apartment in college was an addition to a house. Four bedrooms, a bathroom and a hallway. The kitchen was in the basement of the main house, and was reached by walking around outside. (Not good, since that was one of the snowiest winters on record around here.) AND that basement was part of the living quarters for the six college men who lived upstairs. Got kind of crowded trying to make dinner on weekend nights, because that basement was also their kegger room. But it was nice the summer after I graduated. Had the whole place to myself. (A family moved in upstairs, but they had no reason to go into the basement.)

And that's why I needed to know more info.

I know how to find places to live for cheap. I just need more info to figure out your situation to make recommendations.

And, just in case this helps, if you have any friends or relatives living that 6-hours away from you, then, by all means, ask them. Many landlords only accept tenants by word-of-mouth. If someone knows someone and can vouch for you, you are more likely to get a great deal with great landlords.

We got our two best-apartments-ever through people knowing us and wanting to help us.