Can Anyone Who Believes in Jesus

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Can Anyone Who Believes in Jesus Start a Christian Sect/Denomination?

• Total voters

RaceRunner

Oct 13, 2022
Start a Christian Sect/Denomination?

What are the minimum requirements?

Sans

Dec 28, 2017
How do you think the denominations we have today were started. A thought inside once persons head.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Start a Christian Sect/Denomination?

What are the minimum requirements?

"Can Anyone Who Believes in Jesus Start a Christian Sect/Denomination?"

This is a most unusual question.

Are you planning to start a cult?

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
Can Anyone Who Believes in Jesus Start a Christian Sect/Denomination?

Sure ---most of the so Called Christian Sect/Denominations today believe in Jesus but don't know Jesus personally -----you can believe in God but not have a personal relationship with God ---

RaceRunner

Oct 13, 2022
"Can Anyone Who Believes in Jesus Start a Christian Sect/Denomination?"

This is a most unusual question.

Are you planning to start a cult?

I am finding out if people believe that anyone who believes in Jesus can start a Christian Sect/Denomination.

Jan 14, 2021
Denominations and sects just represent different schools of thought or different approaches to hermeneutics.

The key commonality between all Christian sects is the acceptance of core Biblical canon and foundational concepts from the early church (e.g. the Trinity).

RaceRunner

Oct 13, 2022
Denominations and sects just represent different schools of thought or different approaches to hermeneutics.

The key commonality between all Christian sects is the acceptance of core Biblical canon and foundational concepts from the early church (e.g. the Trinity).
Can anyone who believes in Jesus start one of these Christian Sects/Denominations?

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I am finding out if people believe that anyone who believes in Jesus can start a Christian Sect/Denomination.
People don't ask questions without a reason.

Why is that on your mind today?

RaceRunner

Oct 13, 2022
People don't ask questions without a reason.

Why is that on your mind today?

I just need to know if starting a Christian Sect/Denomination is Biblical.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
And I'm just very curious why you "need to know" that.

Why is that a pressing concern today?
Are you planning to start your own sect?

RaceRunner

Oct 13, 2022
And I'm just very curious why you "need to know" that.

Why is that a pressing concern today?
Are you planning to start your own sect?

I am not planning to start my own sect/denomination; I am just interested if we're even allowed to do so.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I am not planning to start my own sect/denomination; I am just interested if we're even allowed to do so.
Your bio says you're a Christian.
What denomination are you currently involved with?

Jan 14, 2021
Can anyone who believes in Jesus start one of these Christian Sects/Denominations?
Belief in Jesus by itself is not the sole factor to consider (otherwise Moslems would count as Christians). To be a Christian, there are a range of concepts that need to be accepted.

To your question, yes, historically many individuals presented their school of thought and movements started following those schools of thought. These movements resulted in denominations being formed.

There are circumstances where a school of thought diverges sufficiently to become a nonChristian religion due to violating core Christian concepts.

RaceRunner

Oct 13, 2022
Belief in Jesus by itself is not the sole factor to consider (otherwise Moslems would count as Christians). To be a Christian, there are a range of concepts that need to be accepted.

To your question, yes, historically many individuals presented their school of thought and movements started following those schools of thought. These movements resulted in denominations being formed.

There are circumstances where a school of thought diverges sufficiently to become a nonChristian religion due to violating core Christian concepts.
Thanks for your answer.

Jan 14, 2021
If you recognize that denominations are basically just schools of thought, and that likeminded people may start to coalesce, we see passages like Rom 14:5 which encourage differences on some topics.

"One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind." - Rom 14:5 KJV

So if someone made a denomination that believed that Saturday rest and Sunday's Lord's Day needed to be observed, there hypothetically isn't an issue with that. If someone else made a denomination that recognized all days as being equally holy, there hypothetically isn't anything wrong with that either.

At the same time, if we look at the feud between Paul and Peter about people of Jewish heritage dining with those of Gentile heritage, we see that there is not 100% freedom for schools of thought to endorse whatever they want. There is a commonground that all Christian schools of thought must observe.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I do not attend a Church.
Ok, let's recap:
a.)
You say you're a Christian, you're non-denominational, and you don't attend church.
b.) You say you "NEED TO KNOW" about starting a denomination, although by your own admission, you don't believe in denominations, and you don't even attend church.
c.) You say you "NEED TO KNOW" the biblical status of starting a denomination, although you specifically said you have no interest in starting a denomination.

So, if I've got this right...
you are posting polls about things which you "NEED TO KNOW", while simultaneously admitting you have no genuine interest in those things at all.

I find this all very confusing.

Personal Observation:
a.) This kind of confusion and contradiction seldom comes from ordinary Christians.
b.) This kind of contradiction usually comes from people pretending to be Christians, who are poking around Christian forums to either troll, or to collect research data.

But hey, what do I know?

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
Ok, let's recap:
a.)
You say you're a Christian, you're non-denominational, and you don't attend church.
b.) You say you "NEED TO KNOW" about starting a denomination, although by your own admission, you don't believe in denominations, and you don't even attend church.
c.) You say you "NEED TO KNOW" the biblical status of starting a denomination, although you specifically said you have no interest in starting a denomination.

So, if I've got this right...
you are posting polls about things which you "NEED TO KNOW", while simultaneously admitting you have no genuine interest in those things at all.

I find this all very confusing.

Personal Observation:
a.) This kind of confusion and contradiction seldom comes from ordinary Christians.
b.) This kind of contradiction usually comes from people pretending to be Christians, who are poking around Christian forums to either troll, or to collect research data.

But hey, what do I know?

Maxwell I like your answers and your reasoning. You convinced me and you changed my mind on another thread.
‘In the topic of denominations I’ve made peace with this a long time ago. I think everybody is right because the commonality is Jesus. Because if the alternative is true it means that Christianity is false.

What is your opinion on this matter?

Thank you.