Can backsliders come back to God?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
I’ve confessed Jesus as Lord countless times and believe in my heart that He was raised on the 3rd day but there has still been no changing of the heart or been born again I’m sorry to say. When I first said the sinners prayer 16 years ago I felt Gods presence and have a few other times since, one time even hearing His powerful but peaceful voice in a dream with no picture just the voice telling me to stop misinterpreting the Bible but there has never been no born again experience for me. Please pray for me.
Do you think a baby knows he has been born?

Satan doesn't attack his own. He has whispered lies in your ears for so long you think they are true.

The Prodigal son thought he was no longer a son. His father had other ideas, didn't he?

Don't rely on experiences or feelings. Rely on what you KNOW. Jesus Christ has paid your debt. It IS finished Brother.

YOU ARE A CHILD OF GOD! Believe it! Live it! And fear not Brother!

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Is it possible to come back to God after backsliding, living in sin and even mocking God at times or am I damned to hell?
God desires backsliders to come back to Him. That is clearly stated in the Bible.

Return, ye backsliding children, and I will heal your backslidings. Behold, we come unto thee; for thou art the LORD our God. (Jeremiah 3:22)

O Israel, return unto the LORD thy God; for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity... I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely: for mine anger is turned away from him. (Hosea 14:1,4).

Apr 3, 2019
I always sit at the back of the church. That way there is not much further to backslide.

Mar 5, 2020
I have since I read your opening post.
My daughter found this exercise that is suppose to help with a sense of self worth and helps in gaining self confidence. I would have sent it to you in a private conversation but it appears you have to pay for a membership so as to communicate that way here.
She found the exercise just looking for, Louise Hay Mirror Work. She said there are videos about this too. It helped her tremendously when she was being bullied at school shortly after her mom and me separated.
I called her after I read your reply because I knew she had done some kind of self-help exercise back then but couldn't recall what its title was or where she found it. I was so impressed I gave it a shot later on.

Sometimes, what we feel about ourselves makes us think no one could possibly love that. Much less God. After all we know our own dirty little secrets better than anyone. And we know how we feel about ourselves. Our sense of who we are affects everything about our life.
I think you should know too and likely do but maybe forgot? God knows you inside and out. He made you. And you are made, as are all things, as a resemblance of God because everything is from God its creator.

Making the same mistakes doesn't mean your prayers are worthless. You're talking to God. That isn't worthless that's worth while.
I use to do the same thing in making mistakes. Different day same sort of mistake only not exactly so. Then I started to pay attention to that pattern.
This may help you. I hope so because it worked for me.
I paid attention to the pattern of mistakes by paying attention to what I was doing that ended up being a mistake. When I found myself repeating that same thing with near the same result, I started to ask myself what is it I'm not seeing? What am I suppose to learn not to do here?
Because that's what we end up calling our mistake, right? If not, that's OK too. I was repeating the same behavior and expecting a different outcome. Which was ridiculous. But it wasn't precisely the same behavior. It was a behavior that had a starting point in my thought about how to do something. And then I built on that with my own actions trying to make that thought into a reality. If that makes sense to you.
Busted by backside every time. Then hard head here got the point. Next time, when that starting point opportunity showed up again, I remembered exactly what my prior steps had been that led to failure and feeling like crap. And I did something totally different. Something that turns out was totally against my nature. Which is where I think we get into trouble and is what is behind what you call, repeating the same mistakes. Our nature tells us we got this. Even when the outcome says, not even close pal!

My daughter keeps a journal. She got that from my wife who does the same thing. I've never been big into diary's myself but I've seen how it helps them. Me, I just keep things cataloged in my head. But for them it helps to keep a record of their thoughts and whatnot. That way they can keep track of their progress or realize where they need more work on any given issue or thing in life.

Maybe that will work for you. Maybe it can be a sort of letter to God too. Write down what you're feeling, what you feel failed at. Maybe see if you're not led to write your own answer that isn't maybe even your thoughts but is God answering that prayer in that way right there in the journal.
Some people call that automatic writing. It has a bad reputation due to people thinking bad things about that. However, who's to say how God works? Maybe when we pray and then start writing things down , even if they're addressed to
That's really interesting because when I previewed my original it was all there.
So to continue that last thought that somehow got cut off.
Some people call that automatic writing. It has a bad reputation due to people thinking bad things about that. However, who's to say how God works? Maybe when we pray and then start writing things down , even if they're addressed to God, if we're quiet and trust God answers prayer in his own way and time, he'll write back.

God made you from all that he is. Everything created comes from God. God doesn't make mistakes, we do. We have to forgive ourselves first because when we're down on ourselves we cut our own sense of self worth apart.
That mirror exercise I told you about does work. I did that myself after I saw how well my daughter felt for her time spent.
We look at the world from our inside out. All that we are sees it and judges what is there. And as we do that we have a personal sense of self in the process. What we look like, what we feel like, where we're going in life, and who we are.
But to look at yourself in a mirror and see who is there, which doesn't necessarily say you look that same way to someone else, is quite the encounter I must say. Beyond just looking in the glass while shaving or brushing your teeth. Looking yourself in your own eyes and having a conversation with yourself from that point of your own feelings and , as you shared, doubts and lack of self worth, makes for a whole new kind of relationship with the you, you think you knew.
And you're not hiding who you are when you have that monologue, dialog, with that reflection either.
Part of the exercise I did was to talk honestly about things. And ask myself, why did you do that? All those type questions that come about when we review our life.
Then, turning from self criticism I turned toward self praise. Because I know the journey I've made in my life and I'm still here. Positive affirmations about self are key if you feel down about yourself.

Anyway, I'll close this really long and oddly cut off post here. God loves you. You have to trust he knows what he's doing and love you too. He knows everything anyway so you're no surprise and no shame to him. Now it is all about you and how you feel about you.
You can't soar if you have a bag of bricks of regret on your back. Let it go! Trust me, it is all over and done with. The past is long gone. Why carry any negativity for what can't be changed that happened back then? You are here and now because you came through it. And if you don't like who you are, change it! It takes work. But if you don't like you, how can anyone else? And if it is easy to keep repeating the same mistakes over and over, and I've had my share, imagine how gratifying it will be if you work at doing better. And start that by knowing you are not your mistakes! You are God's miracle! We all are.

Love you! God does! You were to die for. Get it? Of course you do. Now show a little gratitude and take yourself down from that cross you've pinned yourself to thinking you're this and that negative thing. Live your life knowing you're an asset. You'll be amazed I think at how good you feel in no time at all.

I will pray for you. Your prayers are not wasted! God knows you before you pray a word.

Mikhal

Nov 15, 2019
God desires backsliders to come back to Him. That is clearly stated in the Bible.

Return, ye backsliding children, and I will heal your backslidings. Behold, we come unto thee; for thou art the LORD our God. (Jeremiah 3:22)

O Israel, return unto the LORD thy God; for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity... I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely: for mine anger is turned away from him. (Hosea 14:1,4).
Jeremiah 3:22... thats exactly what i was going to share, AMEN.

Mar 5, 2020
Stop searching for a feeling. Being born again is a fact to the one who has turned to God, asked for forgiveness and trusted in the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ for your sins. Have you’ve done that? If yes, Scripture says you are born again and have eternal life. Search the scriptures daily and stop searching for feelings. Sometimes I don’t feel like I’m saved, but Scripture reminds me that I am. God bless.
When he can feel as if he is not saved it is only right that he'd want to feel what it is like to be confident God loves him.

I looked for something that could help you @Jay3009. Something from the bible. I found this instead.
https://decisionmagazine.com/facts-faith-and-feeling-being-sure-of-your-salvation/
I read it, and thought the last part sounded like your opening post. Maybe it will help too. I hope so.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
When he can feel as if he is not saved it is only right that he'd want to feel what it is like to be confident God loves him.

I looked for something that could help you @Jay3009. Something from the bible. I found this instead.
https://decisionmagazine.com/facts-faith-and-feeling-being-sure-of-your-salvation/
I read it, and thought the last part sounded like your opening post. Maybe it will help too. I hope so.
That was a very good article. Thank you. I hope the OP reads it.

bojack

Dec 16, 2019
Is it possible to come back to God after backsliding, living in sin and even mocking God at times or am I damned to hell?
Yes Bro, and I believe you are saved if you've had faith to confess and believe on Jesus .. You have to get the Word in you to bring your carnal mind under discipline .. Keep praying and learning the Word and do not listen to demonic spirits that attack your mind, they will tell the worst lies and torment you .. They will try to convince you opposite of what your heart's confession, a real war .. Jesus is the author of our salvation .. God Bless ..

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
You are here, so is He. Without looking to the past, keep your eyes foreward. You are sorry? He knows it and He, only He, forgives and puts any guilt of your transgressions out of sight. He will not hold dthem against you...Psalm 32 Now, behave yourself for you are loved by our Father and all who believe Him, in Jesus name, amen.

Mar 5, 2020
I wanted to return to this discussion to add something that came to me a moment ago. I'm sitting here, tired, eyes starting to close, still waiting one last overseas call to tie up one leg of a project I'm consulting on. Then in reading over a different discussion on a different page something about Noah clicked my recollection to an email I use to send people years ago.
I saved the material and though it is not my original work it did serve its purpose then. I figure maybe I'm being led to see if it serves again. I'm being led to see a lot of things since I decided to give the community of faithful a look from behind a monitor.

I hope this helps you @Jay3009. I hope it helps anyone who needs it.

The next time you feel like GOD can't use you, just remember...​

Noah was a drunk
Abraham was too old
Isaac was a daydreamer
Jacob was a liar
Leah was ugly
Lot was made drunk and had sex with his daughters
Joseph was abused
Moses had a stuttering problem
Gideon was afraid
Samson had long hair and was a womanizer
Rahab was a prostitute
David had an affair and was a murderer
Elijah was suicidal
Isaiah preached naked
Jonah ran from God
Naomi was a widow
Job went bankrupt
Peter denied Christ
The Disciples fell asleep while praying
Martha worried about everything
The Samaritan woman was divorced, more than once
Zaccheus was too small
Paul was too religious
Timothy had an ulcer..
AND Lazarus was dead!​

Now! No more excuses!
God can use you to your full potential.
Besides you aren't the message, you are just the messenger.

God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts.

Dear God, I have a problem, it's Me.

Growing old is inevitable, growing UP is optional.

There is no key to happiness. The door is always open.

Silence is often misinterpreted but never misquoted.

Do the math, count your blessings.

Faith is the ability to not panic.

Laugh every day, it's like inner jogging.

If you worry, you didn't pray. If you pray, don't worry.

As a child of God, prayer is kind of like calling home everyday.

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

The most important things in your house are the people.

When we get tangled up in our problems, be very still. God wants to untangle the knot.

A grudge is a heavy thing to carry.

He who dies with the most toys is still dead.

Have a great day!!!

The SON is shining and He can certainly use you!

Editing now to say, I must have done the right thing because that call just came in. Short and sweet and all good. So good night to you all. I hear my pillow calling my name. Actually the day I actually hear that is the day I start sleeping standing up. And donate that pillow to the dog.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Pray with me....

Dear Heavenly Father,

I miss You. I am so sorry for turning my back on You and sinning against You. I do not want to live my life in sin anymore. I desire a relationship with You. Please forgive me, wash away all my sins - wrong behavior, wrong thoughts and words.

My sins have hurt You, me and others. I’m so sorry, please forgive me, help others to forgive me and help me to forgive myself.

Thank You for the cleansing blood of Jesus. Create in me a clean heart and renew a right spirit within me.

Please seal me, baptize me and fill me with Your Holy Spirit so I can know You and love You the way You desire me to, and have power to live this new life as Your child, in the Name of Jesus, I ask and receive, amen.

Thank You, Father! Thank You, Jesus! Hallelujah!!! :love:(y)

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
The fact that you see your need, to see that you are poor, is better then christians that feel no need or think they are rich.
Rev 3:17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
We will only repent when we see our needs.
2Co 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
2Co 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
I was the rotating door Christian in and out of church. I came from hearing preaching that said you had to be perfect like God and I tried to be good but I couldn't be so then I would get discouraged and give up because I thought if I am going to hell for sinning I may as well just sin and be done with it.

But in my heart I really wanted to be with God I longed to not feel like a hypocrite when I went to church and I would determine in my heart that I would be good this time and go back to church. But I kept sinning and I wasn't perfect like God and kept being reminded that I was suppose to be like God then I would feel guilty and didn't want to take anyone down with me so I would leave church again.

I was pouring my heart out to God and saying I'm not good enough and I will never be good enough and God answered me and said - You know what Darlene you are right you will never be good enough, but that is why my Son, Jesus died for your sins so that when you confessed and asked me to come into your heart I no longer look at your sinful life but look at the perfect life of my Son and you are forgiven because He is perfect. I said it's just that simple and He said yes.

So I started crying like a baby so thrilled to know that God loved me and accepted me because Jesus died for my sins and God was looking at Jesus perfection because Jesus blood covered my sins and He covers your sins too.

So I came to the conclusion that we have to stop looking at what we have done or what we are doing in the sin department and start confessing and turning away from those sins and keeping our eyes on Jesus and His perfect life knowing that the good work He began in us He will complete in us as we trust in Him and build a relationship with Him by praying and talking with Him every day and reading the Bible so He can continue to communicate with us.

I hope you will find some encouragement and learn to trust Him and know that you are saved. We can't rely on our feelings as they are fickled and can change from moment to moment and that is where trust and faith in Jesus comes into play.

PS: I was 56 when I finally figured out what salvation was and am 65 now....so grateful God explained it to me.

God loves you and He will never stop trying to get you to love Him back. He doesn't give up on us we give up on Him.

Apr 15, 2017
All sin can be forgiven, and a person should have the right attitude that sin does affect their relationship with God, and get rid of the sin.

Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Gal 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Gal 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Gal 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

There is no excuse for sin for if a person hates sin, and does not want sin, by the Spirit they can abstain from sin.

Paul said love is greater than faith, and faith works by love, and love does not think an evil thought, and does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth.

2Ti 3:4 lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
2Ti 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
2Ti 3:6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
2Ti 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Some people hold unto sin and enjoy sin, and believe they still have salvation.

2Ti 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

But the Lord knows them that are His having this seal that everyone that names the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

2Pe 2:20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
2Pe 2:21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
2Pe 2:22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

This is speaking of people that went back to the world enjoying sins, and if they do not correct it they will not be saved, but there is hope for all sins can be forgiven, but some hold unto sins and believe they still have salvation.

This does not mean they abandoned the truth that Jesus is Lord and Savior but they went back to enjoying sins and believe it does not affect their relationship with God.

These people left the way of righteousness but they still might of claimed Jesus as Lord and Savior.

Heb 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
Heb 6:2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

When we believe and do the basics of being saved we move on to become more like Christ in love, which love is the fulfilling of the law.

Heb 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
Heb 6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
Heb 6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

This does not apply to people that backslide holding unto sin, but claim Jesus as Lord and Savior but fell away from that truth, for all sin can be forgive so they did not fall away in the sense of these scriptures.

These people cannot come back to God and be saved for they fell away abandoning the belief in Jesus as Lord and Savior for a alternate reality, whether following another religion, becoming an atheist, or a different viewpoint of Jesus.

If they abandon the truth of Jesus as Lord and Savior for a different reality they cannot be saved again for they abandoned the truth believing something different, so they went back to the world, and part of the world as if they were not saved at all, and God will not allow them to go through the process of being saved again.

1Ti 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
1Ti 4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
1Ti 4:3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
1Ti 4:4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
1Ti 4:5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

An example is this concerning the new age movement and their false interpretation of the Bible based on the occult, and evolution, and people are still evolving to be greater and spiritual, and Jesus is not Lord and Savior, but a good teacher and love, which the Christ conscience came upon Him, and He evolved to be an ascended master and avatar, and believe in no personal God, but honor the God of forces, or the power of nature as their higher power, the evolutionary process, and the New Age Christ is the final teacher.

Some shall depart from the faith, the truth of the Bible that Jesus is Lord and Savior, and follow the new age movement which if they follow it believing that reality they cannot be saved again.

But if they have doubt and think the new age movement may be true there is hope for they can disregard the new age movement and keep claiming Jesus as Lord and Savior.

But a person that follows the new age movement and never claimed Jesus as Lord and Savior, but then claims a personal God, and Jesus is Lord and Savior, can be saved for they never abandoned the truth for they never claimed the truth when they followed the new age movement.

2Ti 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
2Ti 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
2Ti 4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

The time will come when the world will only want to hear the Bible according to the new age movement, and the new age movement will pave the way to the New Age Christ kingdom in the future where they will rebel against God, and then He will put the world down and that is it for sin on earth, and God will have His people with Him.

It will start when the New Age Christ establishes a peace treaty between the Jews and Palestinians, and then he will work as a great man of peace in the world, and push the agenda of the new age movement, and then claim to be God when the Christ conscience comes upon him, and he evolved to be greater and spiritual, and will say he will share that power with all people who follow him, but it is a lie for there was no power to receive from him.

The new age movement is the beginning of the end for the wicked, and it is time for God to end this sin business on earth.

All sin can be forgiven even if you live in sin for a year it can be forgiven, but if a person abandons the truth that Jesus is Lord and Savior for an alternate reality then they cannot be saved again.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
For the iniquity of his covetousness
I was angry and struck him;
I hid and was angry,
And he went on backsliding in the way of his heart.
I have seen his ways, and will heal him;
I will also lead him,
And restore comforts to him
And to his mourners.
I create the fruit of the lips:
Peace, peace to him who is far off and to him who is near,
Says the Lord,
And I will heal him.

(Isaiah 57:17-19)

Jan 17, 2020
Chances are you never heard the truth about God and were mocking an idol people taught you to believe was God.

I had to isolate myself and study to find out what scripture actually teaches and only then found I was hooked up to the real Christ.

Jan 7, 2020
Hey Jay!

If you're looking for clarity, comfort, and reassurance - give this a watch! It's nothing pure truth, and, simply put, it'll change your life! 😊