Can christians eat halal meat? Especially ex-muslims...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 6, 2019
This question you must think at least where I live, many restaurants advertise they sell halal meat.. The clearest Bible place about this is 1. Cor. 10:

"Whatsoever is sold in the shambles, that eat, asking no question for conscience sake:
26 For the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof.
27 If any of them that believe not bid you to a feast , and ye be disposed to go; whatsoever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience sake.
28 But if any man say unto you, This is offered in sacrifice unto idols, eat not for his sake that shewed it, and for conscience sake: for the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof:
29 Conscience, I say, not thine own, but of the other: for why is my liberty judged of another man's conscience?"

I have thought, that if I don't know about the way how the meat that is served to me has been slaughtered, I can eat it, but If the restaurant openly tells that their meat is halal meat (turned towards Mecca when slaughtered and the slaughterer, who must be a muslim, prays a little prayer to islamic idol Allah when he does this), then I should not eat it. My problem is that my husband is sen ex-muslim and buys halal meat and sees no problem on this and sometimes this causes problems between us.. for example I don't like eat this meat that he would like to eat together with me... has anybody else thought about this question?

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
No we are not to eat meat sacreficed to idols

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
My personal conviction is that "halal" food products are exactly what Paul was discussing in that passage. I won't buy them.

That brings up a question though: do we hold the same convictions about "kosher" food products? Should we? Maybe that's a good question for another thread.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
The process by which halal meat is slaughtered is much more humane and clean than the mass factories. I have no conscience issues with eating it, rather I have more difficulty with how the animals are treated in some other facilities. However, if it is a matter of conscience then you should not eat it. It is like alcohol. For some, they do not feel it is right so they should avoid it. Others, since Christ turned water into wine, and the guests said it was the best quality, feel that there is nothing wrong with having a glass. Ultimately everything you do, short of legal restrictions, is between you and God (I know it is all between you and God but you understand that I'm saying there is another layer to your choices).

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
I generally avoid halal food, because I don't want to give foothold to the religion.
Not that I believe it would harm me spiritually if I did, my faith is rock solid on that, that idols are nothing.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
I generally avoid halal food, because I don't want to give foothold to the religion.
Not that I believe it would harm me spiritually if I did, my faith is rock solid on that, that idols are nothing.
Are you ex Muslim brother?

Apr 15, 2017
This question you must think at least where I live, many restaurants advertise they sell halal meat.. The clearest Bible place about this is 1. Cor. 10:

"Whatsoever is sold in the shambles, that eat, asking no question for conscience sake:
27 If any of them that believe not bid you to a feast , and ye be disposed to go; whatsoever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience sake.
28 But if any man say unto you, This is offered in sacrifice unto idols, eat not for his sake that shewed it, and for conscience sake: for the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof:
29 Conscience, I say, not thine own, but of the other: for why is my liberty judged of another man's conscience?"

I have thought, that if I don't know about the way how the meat that is served to me has been slaughtered, I can eat it, but If the restaurant openly tells that their meat is halal meat (turned towards Mecca when slaughtered and the slaughterer, who must be a muslim, prays a little prayer to islamic idol Allah when he does this), then I should not eat it. My problem is that my husband is sen ex-muslim and buys halal meat and sees no problem on this and sometimes this causes problems between us.. for example I don't like eat this meat that he would like to eat together with me... has anybody else thought about this question?
1Co 10:25 Whatsoever is sold in the shambles, that eat, asking no question for conscience sake:

1Co 10:27 If any of them that believe not bid you to a feast, and ye be disposed to go; whatsoever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience sake.

1Co 10:28 But if any man say unto you, This is offered in sacrifice unto idols, eat not for his sake that shewed it, and for conscience sake: for the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof:

1Co 10:29 Conscience, I say, not thine own, but of the other: for why is my liberty judged of another man's conscience?

If we eat meat we should not ask a question about it for conscience sake, but this conscience is not our own, for we have liberty to eat meat, so we can eat meat offered to idols if we do not know about it, and if we know about it but they did not tell us we can eat the meat, but if they tell us it is meat sacrificed to idols then it is for their conscience that we say we will not eat your meat offered to an idol for we follow the God of Israel and have nothing to do with idols.

It only matter if they tell us it was meat offered to idols for then we do not eat it for their conscience sake that we follow the God of Israel and have nothing to do with idols.

For we know an idol is nothing, and not real, so it cannot taint the meat, but we must proclaim God and have nothing to do with their idols by eating the meat sacrificed to idols if they tell us that.

Act 15:28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
Act 15:29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

But if we know the animal was strangled then we should not eat it, and if there is blood along with the meat the saints are not to eat blood.

1Ti 4:4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

1Ti 4:5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Col 2:15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Col 2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Also it was a physical covenant with physical blessings in the Old Testament so God had Israel do physical ordinances for they could not have the Spirit to be saved spiritually, and the separation of clean meat and unclean meat for the Spirit did not work among them like in the New Testament.

But there was also the moral laws, laws of love, spiritual laws in the Old Testament but they did not have the power to overcome like in the New Testament, but they had the animal sacrifices to cover their sins, and they still had to obey the spiritual laws as well as the physical ordinances.

In the New Testament it is a spiritual covenant and people receive the Spirit that gives them power to be Christlike, and we can eat any meat we want now including pork.

For Jesus took the physical ordinances of Israel out of the way nailing them to His cross, for they were contrary to us that they had no bearing on spiritual salvation, so let no person judge you in the physical ordinances of Israel including meats.

For they were a shadow of things to come, but the body is of Christ.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
Whatevah! Whatevah! I do what I want!!! :cool:

T

TheIndianGirl

I eat Middle Eastern and Persian food, kabobs, etc., as they are an healthier option and these restaurants/joints may use halal meat. I view it as similar to kosher food and I don't have an issue eating either. However I would not go out of my way to buy halal or kosher meat. If I was living in a Muslim country and the only option is halal meat, I would buy it.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
I eat Middle Eastern and Persian food, kabobs, etc., as they are an healthier option and these restaurants/joints may use halal meat. I view it as similar to kosher food and I don't have an issue eating either. However I would not go out of my way to buy halal or kosher meat. If I was living in a Muslim country and the only option is halal meat, I would buy it.
Even in Muslim country, like Indonesia pork is a viable from Christian or Buddhist seler.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com

Halal = "permissible or lawful". So the answer I would say to the meat question, Christian or former Muslim, is yes. Haram however, is the exact opposite and means, "forbidden".