Can Genesis 3 be interpreted in another way?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
He said to the woman-------Now implying He, we can assume it to be a male, correct?
"Did God actually say YOU (meaning EVE) shall not eat of any tree in the garden? ----Incorrect already from what he told The Man
And the woman said to the serpent, WE (I assume her and Adam) may eat of the trees in the garden but God said, "You may not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die." "But the serpent said to the woman, "You will surely not die for God knows that when you eat of it, yor eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.

It states below that Adam was with Eve so:

I wonder was the serpent possibly Adam's evil side?Since Adam knew that he only told him to not eat from it, Eve was a seperate body at that time.
After the question to Eve, her reply was WE.....Who is We? her and the serpent? It could be Adam
Her next words were, You may not eat from the fruit in the midst... Who is she talking to? Just Adam?
Neither shall you touch it, lest you die.....Where did this come from? Who said this false statement?

What has me pondering this is, since Eve came from Man, she knew the truth of what God wanted but, when she possibly saw the appealing fruit she could not resist.....Adam seeing a beautiful naked woman was also unable to resist. So they both ate, defying God's command.

Eve blamed the serpent (Still not fully sure if the serpent was possibly Adam's eaarthly mind and eyes or an evil spirit,,,The evil spirirt thing is hard for me to understand because if there was someone hurting your kids, would you not get them away from them?
But I also know that this is where our personal identity comes from. We can choose to be selfish and die or we can acknowledge our creator and live the way he intended.

I read Genesis a lot only because I see it as essential to returning to the state that we were meant to be. In harmony.

Thoughts?

/

I

IAm1

Genesis 2:15-19 Then the Lord God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to tend and keep it. And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.”
And the Lord God said, “It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.” (NKJV Strong's,)

The use of the singular pronoun "you" indicate that God gave the command to the man, before Eve was made. However, in the following verses Gen 3:2 the women when speaking to the serpent used the pronoun "we". Therefore, she had learned of the command very likely from Adam. But was Adam with the women when the serpent approached her and she picked the fruit? Not likely because when Adam and Eve are confronted Adam blames Eve rather than the serpent, and Eve blames the serpent. However, Adam very likely knew were the fruit came from because when God asked them "Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?" Adam replied "The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree. Note Adam did not say no, and in doing so indicates he knew what the fruit was and where it came from.

The serpent was in the garden during the time both Adam and Eve were there, but he approached the women first in respect to eating the fruit. Thus the women is considered the weaker of the two. Paul writes 1 Timothy 2:13-14 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. (NKJV Strong's,). In the temptation incident woman showed herself to be more susceptible to temptation through deceit than was the man. Adam may have acted out of affection in listening to the woman and taking the fruit. The Genesis story of the fall; however, does not mean that all women are weaker in their dealings with the serpent than men. For example, there is a women within the bible who held the position of a prophetess and judge (Deborah).

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
The baffling part is why allow the serpent access to his children?

I

IAm1

To begin a process of salvation for many souls (spirits) to come. 2 Timothy 1:9 tells us " He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time. Note that the grace was given to us in Christ before the beginning in time. God know us before we are even born
Jeremiah 1:5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; Before you were born I sanctified you; (NKJV Strong's,) and Psalms 139:16 Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, The days fashioned for me, When as yet there were none of them. (NKJV Strong's,) and Galatians 1:15-16 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb and called me through His grace, to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the Gentiles (NKJV Strong's,) God see's much farther ahead than we can, and knows us before we are even born.

I

IAm1

It's like a huge University of learning, some will learn others will not. And some will not understand - "Forgive them for know not what they do." A law was given, for without law there is no sin (Rom 4:15), it is through the law one becomes conscious of sin (Rom 3:20). Thus, it all starts with one command (law), and the process begins.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I wonder was the serpent possibly Adam's evil side?
Don't let your imagination run away with you.

Go back to Genesis 1:1 and read and study everything from there until you get to chapter 3.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
The use of the singular pronoun "you" indicate that God gave the command to the man, before Eve was made.
"You" is not an exclusively singular pronoun, period. In 16th century English, it was a plural pronoun, and "thee" was the singular. In 21st century English, "you" is either singular or plural depending on the context.

But was Adam with the women when the serpent approached her and she picked the fruit? Not likely..."
Genesis 3:6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it.

In the temptation incident woman showed herself to be more susceptible to temptation through deceit than was the man.
No, she did not. The text says nothing about Eve "showing herself to be more susceptible". The text simply says she was deceived; that's it. There is no need for further interpretation... or eisegesis.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I wonder was the serpent possibly Adam's evil side?
No. Methinks you've been reading too many comic books. :)

Adam seeing a beautiful naked woman was also unable to resist. So they both ate, defying God's command.
You're engaging in a fallacy of anachronism: inappropriately attributing later information to an earlier situation. Adam had no lust prior to eating the forbidden fruit.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
One only allows access to the serpent if one listens to his lies and acts on them.
God had banned the forbidden fruit. Right? Hed told adam and he knew, and eve heard and she also knew. They were not supposed to eat from that tree.

Why do you think God had warned them first. When God found out the serpent did this he cursed the serpent first. Then pronounced curses on adam and eve for disobeying. Also he barred access to the garden of Eden.

God always tells the truth, that evil spirits lie, he cant stop them from lying, (he even made the serpent, more subtile than the rest of the beasts) but He always warns us before hand or gives us a way to escape. It is up to us who we believe, The truth or a lie.

I

IAm1

"You" is not an exclusively singular pronoun, period. In 16th century English, it was a plural pronoun, and "thee" was the singular. In 21st century English, "you" is either singular or plural depending on the context.

In the context of Gen 2:15 both man and you is being used in it's singular form, because the following verse Gen 2:18 tell us that it is not good for man to be "alone."

Genesis 3:6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it.

Scripture does not state that Adam was with Eve when she was deceived. It only mentions Adam when she ate. Furthermore, in Gen 3:17, God charges Adam of heeding the voice of his wife. This indicates there was a conversation between Adam and Eve after her discussion with the serpent.

John Calvin stated the following in his commentary:

“And gave also unto her husband with her. From these words, some conjecture that Adam was present when his wife was tempted and persuaded by the serpent, which is by no means credible. Yet it might be that he soon joined her, and that, even before the woman tasted the fruit of the tree, she related the conversation held with the serpent, and entangled him with the same fallacies by which she herself had been deceived. Others refer the particle (immah,)“with her,” to the conjugal bond, which may be received. But because Moses simply relates that he ate the fruit taken from the hands of his wife, the opinion has been commonly received, that he was rather captivated with her allurements than persuaded by Satan’s impostures. {1} For this purpose the declaration of Paul is adduced,​

‘Adam was not deceived, but the woman.’ (1 Timothy 2:14).​

No, she did not. The text says nothing about Eve "showing herself to be more susceptible". The text simply says she was deceived; that's it. There is no need for further interpretation... or eisegesis.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
When God found out the serpent did this he cursed the serpent first. Then pronounced curses on adam and eve for disobeying.
God did indeed curse the serpent, and the ground, but He didn't curse Adam and Eve. Rather, He told them the consequences of their actions.

In the context of Gen 2:15 both man and you is being used in it's singular form, because the following verse Gen 2:18 tell us that it is not good for man to be "alone."
If you're making an argument about the Hebrew text, rather than the English text, then please specify so. Otherwise, my comments stand.

Scripture does not state that Adam was with Eve when she was deceived. It only mentions Adam when she ate.
While true, concluding from this that Adam was absent at first requires speculation outside the text.

As for Calvin's comments, they are even wilder and involve actual eisegesis. He is adding several ideas which are either absent or actually refuted by Paul's reference to the passage.

I

IAm1

If Eve was not more likely or liable to be influenced or harmed by a particular thing (susceptible) then how do explain that she was deceived where Adam was not? 1 Timothy 2:14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. (NKJV Strong's,)

I

IAm1

While true, concluding from this that Adam was absent at first requires speculation outside the text.
As does believing Adam was with her when the initial transgression was committed. Thus, why is Adam charged with heeding to the voice of the wife? Not for being deceived?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
If Eve was not more likely or liable to be influenced or harmed by a particular thing (susceptible) then how do explain that she was deceived where Adam was not? 1 Timothy 2:14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. (NKJV Strong's,)
Don't make doctrine where Scripture is silent.

The text doesn't say that Eve was more susceptible... period. So, don't conclude that Eve was more susceptible. Conclude rather that she was deceived... just like the text tells you. Anything more is eisegesis.

Paul distinguished their actions: Eve was deceived, Adam sinned. His phrasing directly contradicts pagan ideas prevalent in Ephesus at that time.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
As does believing Adam was with her when the initial transgression was committed.
Strictly, that is true, but it is a natural extension of a clear statement where the idea that he was absent requires additional speculative explanation. This is a great case for Occam's Razor.

L

LPT

As does believing Adam was with her when the initial transgression was committed. Thus, why is Adam charged with heeding to the voice of the wife? Not for being deceived?
Adam could of been 2 feet away or 200 feet away.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Adam seeing a beautiful naked woman was also unable to resist. So they both ate, defying God's command.
Adam had already seen Eve some time before Eve's disobedience. But not wanting to be separated from Eve may have been a factor in Adam's disobedience. We are not told. What we are told is that when it came time to passing the buck, Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the Serpent, and the Serpent (Satan) PROBABLY blamed God.

Apr 15, 2017
The baffling part is why allow the serpent access to his children?
Ecc 7:29 Lo, this only have I found, that God hath made man upright; but they have sought out many inventions.

Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Rom 5:14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

Gen 2:25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

Adam was made in the image of God, which is the image of Christ.

God created Adam in the image that He would show up in the future, and that is an innocent nature in flesh, who is the Word of God.

Adam and Eve were created with an innocent nature in flesh, and it would of never entered Adam and Eve's mind to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil unless an outside source tempted them.

So God allowed Satan to tempt Eve, and she sinned, and Eve was the outside source that tempted Adam by showing him she did not die, and no harm came to her, and Adam ate the fruit and sinned.

That is why the tree was in the garden, because God gave them a choice, for then it is true love if they love God, and His kingdom is true love.

Gen 3:1 Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?
Gen 3:2 And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:
Gen 3:3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.

Satan tried to cause Eve to doubt whether God actually meant that they could not eat of every tree, as if it was a misunderstanding of what God told her.

But Eve passed this temptation, and plainly told the serpent that they cannot eat of the tree, and there was no misunderstanding of that.

Gen 3:4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
Gen 3:5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
Gen 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

1Jn 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh(tree was good for food), and the lust of the eyes(pleasant to the eyes), and the pride of life(tree to be desired to make one wise), is not of the Father, but is of the world.

So Satan tempted Eve by saying she will not die, and that if she ate of the tree she will have an elevated position from her current status, and her and Adam will be as gods, and possibly that God could not go against her in her elevated status being as gods.

So Eve lusted according to her flesh, and ate of the tree, and sinned, and then Adam sinned.

When Eve said we may eat of the trees in the garden, except that one tree, she was saying her and Adam.

It was not Adam's evil side that tempted Eve, but it was Satan who was kicked out of the third heaven, and God put the forbidden tree in the garden, and allowed Satan to tempt Eve, and she sinned, and she tempted Adam, and he sinned, for God gave them a choice for then it is true love, and it would of never entered Adam and Eve's mind to sin, unless an outside source tempted them, so God allowed Satan to tempt Eve.

If Adam and Eve did not sin then spiritual salvation would of never came, and people would of only dwelt on earth in the flesh, with no heaven, and no glorified body.

But the Word of God was in the beginning, and Jesus is the firstborn of all the creatures, and the beginning of creation, and without the plan of God to come in flesh He would of never created anything He created.

So the plan of God coming in flesh was first before God created anything, so Adam and Eve were going to sin for that to happen, which God knew about it, but it did not come from Him, but from Satan tempting Eve.

The truth is when Adam was created he did not have an evil side, until him and Eve ate of the tree then they had a choice between good and evil, which then all their offspring are born with a choice, so they are born not knowing God.

So we are not born with the sin of Adam and Eve applied to us, for that is their sin, not our sin, but we are born not knowing God, so we will do wrong before we do right and repent of our sins and follow God.

We are born innocent with no sin attached to us, and our record clear, which is why the angels always behold the face of the Father for the little ones, but we will do wrong before we do right and follow God, so all have sinned, done the act, not born with sin attached to them for Adam and Eve, but done the act of sin themselves, and come short of the glory of God.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
... So God allowed Satan to tempt Eve, and she sinned, and Eve was the outside source that tempted Adam by showing him she did not die, and no harm came to her, and Adam ate the fruit and sinned.
The text says that she ate, and gave some to her husband, and he ate, and their eyes were opened. There is no record of a conversation between them in the middle, during which she showed or told him anything. The natural implication is that there were only moments between the two eating.

Gen 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

1Jn 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh(tree was good for food), and the lust of the eyes(pleasant to the eyes), and the pride of life(tree to be desired to make one wise), is not of the Father, but is of the world.

So Satan tempted Eve by saying she will not die, and that if she ate of the tree she will have an elevated position from her current status, and her and Adam will be as gods, and possibly that God could not go against her in her elevated status being as gods.

So Eve lusted according to her flesh, and ate of the tree, and sinned, and then Adam sinned.
Eve did not "lust according to her flesh". She was deceived. You're engaging in the same fallacy of anachronism that TM19782017 used. You're also adding things to the text that aren't there at all.

It was not Adam's evil side that tempted Eve, but it was Satan who was kicked out of the third heaven, and God put the forbidden tree in the garden, and allowed Satan to tempt Eve, and she sinned, and she tempted Adam, and he sinned, for God gave them a choice for then it is true love, and it would of never entered Adam and Eve's mind to sin, unless an outside source tempted them, so God allowed Satan to tempt Eve.
There is nothing in Scripture to support that assertion that Eve tempted Adam. Paul states clearly in 1 Timothy 2: Adam sinned; Eve was deceived.