Can I Be a Christian if I Occasionally Smoke Cigarettes

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 28, 2022
You are a Christian by grace through faith. You are Saved that very moment you accept and believe in Jesus and his Gospel.

When you die you'll spend eternity with him. Why smoke at all? And hasten that eventuality?
And poison the air around you and put everyone at risk due to the second hand smoke you expel? 😟

When you buy cigarettes you're buying cancer. All manner of cancer. Throat,mouth,lung,brain. It all just depends on where it shows up and starts eating you alive. Because you smoke. No matter how little.

The only thing cigarettes do for the body is give you cancer, starve the body of oxygen and kill it slowly.

Ephesians 4:22,24 "You lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit, and you have put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth."

Why would you contaminate the lungs in your body temple?

First hand, second hand, third hand: With Cigarette Smoke No Hand Is Safe

Stop smoking! God gave you life. Don't give it back like that.😔🙏
The woman in that video was Terrie Hall.

This is her last video. She didn't live to leave the hospital this time. She ended up there one cigarette,one pack,at a time. God have mercy.🕊️😔🙏

Terrie, 53, died Monday, September 16, 2013, from the cancer she fought so bravely during the final 13 years of her life. “The passing of this public health hero is a loss for us all, and a reminder to heed her warning about the dangers of smoking,” said Tim McAfee, MD, MPH, director, Office on Smoking and Health.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
One best friend died from an addiction to cigarettes.....lung cancer. He son died the same way at an early age. I didn't look down on them for that or criticize their addiction.
I smoked a tobacco pipe in highschool. I had older professional friends who smoked pipes.
I was fortunate to make a decision to destroy it before it destroyed me.

I've known ladies in my life who wanted to marry a christian man. That addiction was the deciding factor.
A friend who went to the same church with me had a girl in Puerto Rico (previous marriage), that he flew to the states. We knew each other well, I taught his boy in Sunday School, house sat for him, etc . She was around twenty and could have been a serious model, not that is what he wanted for her. He called me and wanted me to take her out bowling, dinner and get acquainted and hopefully married. I'm not trying to be critical to any smokers. I sympathize.
I have nothing against smokers. This gal had a very nice personality, we got along great, but I didn't want to try to change her of that addiction. Everyone was disappointed but life goes on and hope she found a believer that is compatible.
Same goes for another nice girl at my church as well as an exgirlfriend who hid it from me. All that I'm saying now is that those little carcinogen sticks limit major options in life. The guys in bars don't care, because they don't really care about anyone they pick up.

The tobacco companies put all kinds of chemicals in them to make them very addictive. They Target youth because they know that most people won't start smoking as adults. All the warnings in the world from folks all over the world won't get anyone motivated enough to overcome their addictions.

The main thing to realize is that cleaning up your life or over coming bad habits has nothing to do with salvation.. Going to heaven is a separate issue that no amount of willpower will help.

If something happened to you today, are you 100% sure that you would go to heaven?
Please watch the video I posted above, one more time and then get back to me.
Have a great day!

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014
Hi, so I know the Bible doesn't say smoking is a sin but I think if you keep doing it then you could get addicted. Thats were the danger is, the spirit of addiction can be a tough one to deal with...
Not also that but in the new testiment it says your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost.

Smoking a cigarette or anything for that matter would be like graffetiing a church its defiling the temple of God.

Both the body and the physical church building are holy and devoted to the honor and glory of God.

G

Grace0301

Not also that but in the new testiment it says your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost.

Smoking a cigarette or anything for that matter would be like graffetiing a church its defiling the temple of God.

Both the body and the physical church building are holy and devoted to the honor and glory of God.
Of course! I was about writing that as well but then read someone quote saying that we Christians normally use that verse for people who smoke cigarettes then later eat junk food or unhealthy stuff... 😅

So I decided to use another argument. But yeah, I always say: you don’t want the Holy Spirit to be in a smoky, smelly, dark temple right? He won’t want to stay in such a place... 😊

Amanuensis

Jun 12, 2021
I will smoke a cigarette or two in social situations. I'm not a regular smoker. Can I be a Christian and be an occasional smoker. With all the Covid stuff, an occasional cigarette is relaxing.
I would answer with this scripture...

Rom 14:23
But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

If you are having questions about "being a Christian" and doing anything you should put that thing far away from you as if it were a poisonous snake.

This is the heart that is truly having the saving kind of faith.

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014
Of course! I was about writing that as well but then read someone quote saying that we Christians normally use that verse for people who smoke cigarettes then later eat junk food or unhealthy stuff... 😅

So I decided to use another argument. But yeah, I always say: you don’t want the Holy Spirit to be in a smoky, smelly, dark temple right? He won’t want to stay in such a place... 😊
It's true, I used to work on improving my health but my ODSP cheque only goes so far, before my dad moved in with me I was grocery shopping more, eating out less cutting fatty greasy food out of my diet, cooking more, and consuming way less salt and sugar in my diet.

Now we're eating out at restaurants all the time and it's affecting my ability to sleep at night and get up for school in the morning.

A good lifestyle is essential for a successful life. Infact it's unfortunate but the only way I can get my dad to eat is to go to a restaurant.

But he doesn't want to change and he isn't helping me improve myself dirty dishes are piling up and the bathroom hasn't been cleaned since I moved in.

My parents left me to myself as a child and this is how I turned out 37 years old trying to fix my life and figure out what I want to do with it.

My parents didn't go to church and didn't know Jesus as their Lord and saviour and it's only by the grace of God I've made it this far in life.

Accepting Jesus as Lord and Saviour was probably the only thing I ever did right in life.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I think the best One to seek in this arena is Him. I mean, He is cool like that, meeting us right where we are. I say we all have things we can improve on, and He welcomes the opportunity to reveal Himself in whatever area we need Him. I am pretty certain their are no perfect humans out there, though some do better I am sure. I don't know, I try to mind my own business.

What are your thoughts, do you feel convicted, do you think it ok to drink in moderation but not smoke? I don't know. Curious what your line of thinking is. I think it is between Him and you. Seek his opinion and pray about it. If being a Christian = being without sin (all the time, in all ways), I guess I better get at the back of the line with the rest of us imperfect human heathens, lol, who are desperately leaning on a perfect Lord and Savior.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
It's true, I used to work on improving my health but my ODSP cheque only goes so far, before my dad moved in with me I was grocery shopping more, eating out less cutting fatty greasy food out of my diet, cooking more, and consuming way less salt and sugar in my diet.

Now we're eating out at restaurants all the time and it's affecting my ability to sleep at night and get up for school in the morning.

A good lifestyle is essential for a successful life. Infact it's unfortunate but the only way I can get my dad to eat is to go to a restaurant.

But he doesn't want to change and he isn't helping me improve myself dirty dishes are piling up and the bathroom hasn't been cleaned since I moved in.

My parents left me to myself as a child and this is how I turned out 37 years old trying to fix my life and figure out what I want to do with it.

My parents didn't go to church and didn't know Jesus as their Lord and saviour and it's only by the grace of God I've made it this far in life.

Accepting Jesus as Lord and Saviour was probably the only thing I ever did right in life.
No matter how frustrating it gets, never give up on your Dad.
My Dad and I didn't see eye to eye on some things, and butted heads at times. I knew he loved me though and I loved him.
He had a chemical induced dementia for years. I tried to get him to break the cola habit. He had aspartame poisoning. One common cause of dementia and brain damage. It finally scared him enough to go cold turkey and implement my recommendation for recovery. Recover he DID and lived a much healthier lifestyle there on out for many years.

You day that you got saved when you trusted Christ to save you,?
Your parents need to make that decision too I can only guess. My Dad got saved only two months before the hospital ended his life.
Plant and water seeds of the Word in teachable moments.
Please share my gospel videos with him.
Sooner or later with prayer and love, it might get through...
Any other regrets in life can't be changed, but for God's grace. Looking back, my regrets seem small compared to others going to heaven. That's the biggest accomplishment....leading my Dad to Christ at the dinner table.

Mar 4, 2020

While I agree with your general sentiment, the verse you’re referencing is a bit more nuanced than that.

It’s specifically talking about sin and how it relates to the body. Every sin a person does, i.e. smoking cigarettes, is without the body, or occurring outside the body. However, sexual immorality, i.e., fornication and adultery, occur against the body.

It’s those sexual sins that defile the temple of the body where the Holy Spirit resides. Smoking doesn’t defile the temple of the body according to this passage.

1 Corinthians 6:18-20 KJV
18Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body. 19What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

G

Grace0301

Thank you so much for sharing.
God sees your work, have faith in him and trust Him! Pray and be in His presence as often as you can. Worship him and praise him, give him thanks. Try to forgive and forget your parents and how they abandoned you as a child. It’s very difficult, I understand but forgiveness will free you. Pray to God to help you heal.
Pray for your father, show him that love he didn’t show you when you were a kid.
Have patience with him and never give up, surrender it all to Christ and you will see.

I’ve had to do the same and my whole family is different now, God has been working and I have not stopped praying fo them.

I will pray for you and your dad today, God bless you!

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014
I think the best One to seek in this arena is Him. I mean, He is cool like that, meeting us right where we are. I say we all have things we can improve on, and He welcomes the opportunity to reveal Himself in whatever area we need Him. I am pretty certain their are no perfect humans out there, though some do better I am sure. I don't know, I try to mind my own business.

What are your thoughts, do you feel convicted, do you think it ok to drink in moderation but not smoke? I don't know. Curious what your line of thinking is. I think it is between Him and you. Seek his opinion and pray about it. If being a Christian = being without sin (all the time, in all ways), I guess I better get at the back of the line with the rest of us imperfect human heathens, lol, who are desperately leaning on a perfect Lord and Savior.
Scripture says in proceeds that wine is a mother and strong drink is raging and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

It also says who hath woe who hath intentions they that tarry long at the wine. Scripture is clear that alcohol will ruin your life.

Impairs your judgement , it'll destroy your kidneys. And also you can't win an alcoholic to Christ if if you put a stumbling block in their way.

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014
While I agree with your general sentiment, the verse you’re referencing is a bit more nuanced than that.

It’s specifically talking about sin and how it relates to the body. Every sin a person does, i.e. smoking cigarettes, is without the body, or occurring outside the body. However, sexual immorality, i.e., fornication and adultery, occur against the body.

It’s those sexual sins that defile the temple of the body where the Holy Spirit resides. Smoking doesn’t defile the temple of the body according to this passage.

1 Corinthians 6:18-20 KJV
18Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body. 19What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.
I am aware of the fornication part above it. I didn't think it was relevant to smoking.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Scripture says in proceeds that wine is a mother and strong drink is raging and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

It also says who hath woe who hath intentions they that tarry long at the wine. Scripture is clear that alcohol will ruin your life.

Impairs your judgement , it'll destroy your kidneys. And also you can't win an alcoholic to Christ if if you put a stumbling block in their way.

It sounds like you have taken the time to study the word and find it helpful in your walk. What a blessing for you. Seriously, it is a good thing!!!

I use...remain sober, and be moderate in all things. I don't like the taste of alcohol so it is not an issue I stumble with. I have other things that I stumble on. I don't think, though, having a glass of wine or a drink or two to be opposing to the word. It depends on the person and situation. Once again, our walk should always be a personal one, not to say counsel or assemby is not good, just that He will always be the authority, no one else. One of my fav go tos' is

Study to be quiet, to mind your own business and work with your hands.

Clearly, the first one is NOT easy for me, (over chatter in my overthinking mind is one of my waeknesses), lol. We all have things we can work on!!!

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014
It sounds like you have taken the time to study the word and find it helpful in your walk. What a blessing for you. Seriously, it is a good thing!!!

I use...remain sober, and be moderate in all things. I don't like the taste of alcohol so it is not an issue I stumble with. I have other things that I stumble on. I don't think, though, having a glass of wine or a drink or two to be opposing to the word. It depends on the person and situation. Once again, our walk should always be a personal one, not to say counsel or assemby is not good, just that He will always be the authority, no one else. One of my fav go tos' is

Study to be quiet, to mind your own business and work with your hands.

Clearly, the first one is NOT easy for me, (over chatter in my overthinking mind is one of my waeknesses), lol. We all have things we can work on!!!
Yeah, well I remember a Time years ago I was dating a girl and the family believed in drinking alcohol. I went to meet her family at a house warming party when it came time for the toast I told them I do not drink alcohol.

When her mother asked if that meant I wouldn't drink a toast with them I said of course I will just fill mine with ginger ale.

It's à situation where wisdom comes into play, where you have to be polite and respectful and still maintain your beliefs and convictions.

See when I was 17 I got drunk in my grandma's basement 3 times and that is how I learned that alcohol would ruin my life. Long before I ever got saved.

A Christians first duty is to honour God with everything they have also in Word, Thought and Deed.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Yeah, well I remember a Time years ago I was dating a girl and the family believed in drinking alcohol. I went to meet her family at a house warming party when it came time for the toast I told them I do not drink alcohol.

When her mother asked if that meant I wouldn't drink a toast with them I said of course I will just fill mine with ginger ale.

It's à situation where wisdom comes into play, where you have to be polite and respectful and still maintain your beliefs and convictions.

See when I was 17 I got drunk in my grandma's basement 3 times and that is how I learned that alcohol would ruin my life. Long before I ever got saved.

A Christians first duty is to honour God with everything they have also in Word, Thought and Deed.
I appreciate your sharing your experience with alcohol. Pretty poweful to read. Thank you.

And this.

A Christians first duty is to honour God with everything they have also in Word, Thought and Deed. <<<< I def agree with you. Yes yes yes!!!

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
I will smoke a cigarette or two in social situations. I'm not a regular smoker. Can I be a Christian and be an occasional smoker. With all the Covid stuff, an occasional cigarette is relaxing.
Yes, we all have bad habbits.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Yes, we all have bad habbits.
I was a recovering Chef....fully trained and experienced....I'm falling off the wagon now with the bakery.

But I've noticed that the Baptists tend to be the teatotalers. However, I cook with liquors and wines...
And those are always the first to disappear. I don't use so much that all you get is the spirit taste. Just enough to round out and enhance the existing flavors...because that's the function and purpose of the booze. Some flavors have a difficult time coming out without the use of alcohol.

Flavors are usually either fat soluble or water soluble....and if there isn't enough of one, the other, or either the flavor stays locked in and wasted. That's where the alcohol comes in and brings those flavors out while adding the spirit's own flavors as well. (I don't use a lot of vodka obviously)

Vanilla beans in bourbon usually works well. (Bourbon Kings of France are just a name coincidence)
Rum is usually in tropical fruits. But can go with coffee and chocolate.
Brandy, gran mariner, kirsch, creme de menthe, and lots of others all get used in my kitchen.

No, not all of the spirits are cooked off. But I usually don't spoon raw sherry on top of lobster bisque either.

NSFW is usually the designation i use for liquor flavored foods. Because booze breath in the office is still frowned upon. Even if you as sober as the preacher come Sunday.

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014
I appreciate your sharing your experience with alcohol. Pretty poweful to read. Thank you.

And this.

A Christians first duty is to honour God with everything they have also in Word, Thought and Deed. <<<< I def agree with you. Yes yes yes!!!
Your welcome.

EnglishChick

Apr 20, 2021
England UK
Pastor told once of his church youth group in CA taking the kids swimming and then having a wiener roast and preaching about the dangers of smoking, the next church church was supported by tobacco growers, the previous pastor would snub out his cigarette and go in to preach about the dangers of "mixed bathing", i.e. letting the boys and girls swim together, next church, first sermon, little old lady welcomed him to the church and turned to the wife and told her to go home and wash her face as they did not like makeup in that group.
You have to go to some churches to get back under the law Christ freed us from.
If He wants you to quit, you will know and you will be successful, He will probably take it away from you, no pain at all.
bless you
Excellent answer !