Can ignorance of prophecy affect us today?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ComeLordJesus

Dec 26, 2017
The Jews say the Messiah is going to bring peace. Jesus didn’t bring peace.

So, they say, “Oh, well, the Messiah is supposed to bring peace.” But Scripture also says “the Messiah would be cut off out of the land of the living,” Isaiah 53, “for the transgression of my people is He stricken.

It’s very clear from the Old Testament that the Messiah had to come twice—once as the Lamb that would be slain for our sins, and then He will come as the Lion of the Tribe of Judah to conquer His enemies and reign on the throne of his father David.

Ghoti2

Nov 8, 2019
We always want Jesus to violently "get even with them" for us, don't we? LOL

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015

So, they say, “Oh, well, the Messiah is supposed to bring peace.” But Scripture also says “the Messiah would be cut off out of the land of the living,” Isaiah 53, “for the transgression of my people is He stricken.

It’s very clear from the Old Testament that the Messiah had to come twice—once as the Lamb that would be slain for our sins, and then He will come as the Lion of the Tribe of Judah to conquer His enemies and reign on the throne of his father David.
I don't see where you've made a connection between the thread title and this opening post. Perhaps you'd care to flesh out the connection as you see it.

Ghoti2

Nov 8, 2019
10 Prophecies I Eagerly Wait For
by Mike Bennett - February 4, 2015

What are your favorite biblical prophecies? Here are 10 passages that I fervently pray are being fulfilled now or will be fulfilled in the near future.
When we think of biblical prophecy, we generally think of bad news: plagues, punishment and plenty of suffering. There’s a purpose for all the bad news, of course. It’s designed to wake us all up and to encourage us to repent and change (see the article “Purpose of Prophecy”). But it also represents the reality of what will happen leading up to Jesus Christ’s second coming.

But there are many other prophecies that are much easier to look forward to. Here are 10 favorites that we can be praying fervently for, “looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God” (2 Peter 3:12).

Many of these prophecies include a vital role for the elect—the people God calls and is working with during this time.

10 positive prophecies
  1. Malachi 4:6: “And he will turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers, lest I come and strike the earth with a curse.”
  2. Matthew 24:14: “And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.” (See more about the commission Jesus Christ gave the Church in Matthew 28:19-20.)
  3. John 13:35: “By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” (See the article “Christian Fellowship.”)
  4. Revelation 19:7-8: “‘Let us be glad and rejoice and give Him glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and His wife has made herself ready.’ And to her it was granted to be arrayed in fine linen, clean and bright, for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints.” (Read more about the Church and her preparation to marry Christ in the articles “The Church: What Is It?” and “Marriage Supper of the Lamb.”)
  5. 2 Peter 3:9: “The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.”
  6. Revelation 22:20: “He who testifies to these things says, ‘Surely I am coming quickly.’ Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus!” (See “Second Coming.”)
  7. Acts 3:19-21: “Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, and that He may send Jesus Christ, who was preached to you before, whom heaven must receive until the times of restoration of all things, which God has spoken by the mouth of all His holy prophets since the world began.” (See “Times of Refreshing”)
  8. Daniel 2:44: “And in the days of these kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom which shall never be destroyed” (see “What Is the Kingdom of God?”).
  9. Daniel 12:3: “Those who are wise shall shine like the brightness of the firmament, and those who turn many to righteousness like the stars forever and ever.”
  10. Micah 4:3-4: “He shall judge between many peoples, and rebuke strong nations afar off; they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore. But everyone shall sit under his vine and under his fig tree, and no one shall make them afraid; for the mouth of the LORD of hosts has spoken.”
What now?
With so many wonderful prophecies to look forward to, what should we do now? Many of these prophecies include a vital role for the elect—the people God calls and is working with during this time. Read more about how God expects us to respond and to help in hastening these things in the article “Seek Ye First the Kingdom of God.”

Our preparation, our personal example and our support of the preaching of the good news of the Kingdom of God are vitally important. Jesus even said it was for the elect’s sake that the days of tribulation will be shortened and humanity saved (Matthew 24:21-22). So we should fervently pray, “Your kingdom come” and, with the apostle John, say, “Even so, come, Lord Jesus!” (Matthew 6:10; Revelation 22:20).

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013

i am told that Jewish thought was there would be two Messiahs. they did recognize the dichotomy in the things THE BRANCH would do, but they interpreted it as two different persons.

I

IFOLLOWHIM

We have NO effect on prophecy,but it has DIRECT effect on us!
Prophecy from God has been FULFILLED,is being FULFILLED,and will be FULFILLED!

ComeLordJesus

Dec 26, 2017
I don't see where you've made a connection between the thread title and this opening post. Perhaps you'd care to flesh out the connection as you see it.

ComeLordJesus

Dec 26, 2017
i am told that Jewish thought was there would be two Messiahs. they did recognize the dichotomy in the things THE BRANCH would do, but they interpreted it as two different persons.
If they had known prophecy better they wouldn't have thought there would be two Messiah's.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com

The Jews thought the Messiah would bring world peace all in one appearance.
Unfortunately, they claim Jesus wasn't Messiah because that did not occur when Jesus walked the earth in His first appearance. However, a rebuttal to that could be, how do they know their imploring Rome to kill Him didn't stop the prophecies of Jesus from being fulfilled in total?

Jesus second coming is when peace will blanket the world.
As to the OP question about prophecies themselves, for the Christian who has already heeded the prophecy of Messiah and come to Christ, I'd say no. Mainly because between both the Old and New Testaments there are a total of 1,813 prophecies.
That's a lot to remember and know.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
How are these statements connected to your title question?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Of course the Messiah would bring peace to (and upon) this earth. But everything is in its time. And that is why Bible prophecy is important. Every prophecy must be placed in its proper context within the framework of God's plan for the Jews, for the Gentiles, for the Church of God and for the unsaved.

What happened very early in the history of Christendom is that prophecy began to be allegorized and spiritualized, and eventually prophecies pertaining to redeemed and restored Israel began to be applied to the Church. The vast majority of Christendom has been taught Replacement Theology (if indeed prophecies are discussed).

And let's face it. The Jewish religious leaders during the first coming of Christ deliberately sought to nullify the prophecies concerning their Messiah. We see the first example in how they failed to properly and fully quote Micah 5:1, 2, which would have informed Herod, the wise men, and all the Jews gathered around Herod that Jesus was indeed IMMANUEL -- GOD MANIFEST IN THE FLESH. THerefore GOD WITH US.

THE JUDGE OF ISRAEL CAN ONLY BE GOD
1 Now gather thyself in troops, O daughter of troops: he hath laid siege against us: they shall smite the Judge of Israel with a rod upon the cheek.

THE RULER OF ISRAEL CAN ONLY BE GOD
2 But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be Ruler in Israel;...

ONLY GOD IS FROM EVERLASTING TO EVERLASTING
...whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.

The last clause was omitted from Matthew 2:5,6.