Can Men and Women Be Platonic Friends?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TheNarrowPath

Jul 17, 2022
Protip: If you don't care whether they can or can't, it's a lot easier to make friends. ;)
Ive tried to be friends with men. Romance always gets in the way. So Ive learned to enjoy my friendships with the women I know. I am friendly with men in other areas of my life but its not wise for it to go beyond that. Ive never met a guy where a platonic friendship worked well for both of us.

Apr 15, 2022
USA
Even if you're correct, then it doesn't change the fact that this guy is a misogynistic jerk.

His head is so big with his overinflated opinion of himself that I honestly doubt that a camera exists with a wide enough lens to capture it in a single frame.

Anyhow, these conversations, on this thread and others, have only confirmed certain things for me that I've believed/suspected for many, many years.

Simply put, that Satanic characteristics (vanity, beauty, pride, arrogance, etc.) are more appealing to a lot of women that Christlike characteristics.

To each their own.

As soft as a woman is to hold, this tree is feeling pretty good right now.

Time for me to exit these conversations and to make my way even further back into the woods.

Nothing in society seems too appealing to me at the moment.

Later...
Your comments bore me. Some people have such low self-esteem that sometimes just the presence of another person makes them feel like the person is bragging. You run around with a wounded heart, thinking a woman will give you a chance because she feels sorry for you. You're chasing a woman's love and saying and doing all the things that turn women off. But you're too self-righteous to see that the problem is you, not all those 'worldly women' out there.

Remember this: no one dislikes another person for thinking they're special; whoever dislikes someone for that, the real issue isn't that the other person thinks they're special; the real issue is that the person doing the disliking thinks the other person is special. And they hate themselves for it. Because you can't hate other people for their own personal thoughts about themselves. Human Psychology 202.

I'm like a city on a hill. I have to purposely hide the qualities about myself that people (especially women) are drawn to because a.) people's evaluation of me is not my evaluation of myself, and b.) I don't want to be a stumbling block to anyone. You think you're having a bad life now; you should hear some of the compliments I've gotten from women. Let's list a few reasons you should be angry.

Things Women Like About Caleb:

1.) I'm handsome.

2.) I have a nice body.

3.) I'm confident.

4.) I'm very ambitious.

5.) I know what I want.

6.) I'm unapologetic.

7.) I'm honest.

8.) I don't take myself too seriously.

9.) I'm mysterious.

10.) I'm outgoing.

11.) I love people.

12.) I have integrity.

13.) I respect everyone no matter their status in life.

14.) I'm authentic.

15.) I'm witty, sometimes sarcastic.

16.) I love humor.

17.) I love being active.

18.) I'm versatile and adaptable to different people and environments and circumstances.

19.) I enjoy everything (sports, singing, every type of music, dancing, drawing, camping, museums, travel, art galleries, fashion, orchestras, fishing, mixed martial arts, eating out, shopping, movies, serious things, fun things, and everything in between).

20.) I speak several languages.

21.) I care about the weak, fragile, and vulnerable.

22.) I'm intelligent.

23.) I genuinely love myself and enjoy my own company.

24.) I'm courageous.

25.) I value people for themselves rather than what I can get from them.

Things Women Like About Live4Him3:

1.) He can be used as a listening ear.

2.) He can be used and then discarded.

Am I not magnificent? Am I not a gift from angels above to womenfolk below? SMH. You can't be saved. Western nations as a whole create weak, beta men who think it's normal to cater to women. And the churches are even worse, making men so weak that they often become useless to God and His purposes-- men who are eager to go to war and fight 'the bad guys' so we can feel strong and dutiful, but unable to stand up or fight for justice here in our homeland. Am I not magnificent? You don't have to follow my threads anymore. You're on ignore now where I put not people who disagree with me, but people who are disagreeable.

Apr 15, 2022
USA
Ha... I get this. A man who brags but shows so little could leave one curious. I mean, if he's hot, then you can kind of understand why he feels he can do what he does. If he's not, then it possibly reveals something else about him: he's a fraud. Either way, it's interesting.

I have zero interest in seeing Sons, but I can understand one being curious about it.
If you followed me around for a day, you'd consider everything I've said on this site to be very humble. Most of you men-- especially western men, because we're supposed to be 'proper' and please everyone else-- fell for the lies you were fed from birth by cultures that are run by the enemy and from the luciferians he put in leadesdhip positions.

You were lied to about your purpose in life, your identity, your responsibilities, your obligations, the important things in life, what you should pursue, what women want and like and pursue in life and in men. You don't allow women to mature emotionally or mentally, then you complain when they act crazy, cheat on you, and divorce you. Do preteen girls know what living as an adult looks like? You've kept women psychologically preteen-- self-centered and unable to make sense of anything that doesn't feel good-- then you blame them for doing things that children do when your arrogance, need to be 'at the top', need to control their sexuality, and false chivalry and overprotectiveness prevented them from doing so.

You swallowed the lies hook, line, and sinker. As we all know, no one who is poor likes those who are privileged, and no one who is in bondage likes or enjoys those who are free. I'm free. Goodbye.

Apr 15, 2022
USA
(n) nope.

Maybe some truth for those who are not Christ centered, (and is certainly true in made up movies) but honey let me tell what keeps going through my mind EVERY TIME I read your brags post about "I can take home any woman I want to" blah blah blah, I mean, since you like to use worldly examples of all this relationship stuff ( like HITCHED), I guess for this purpose I will too.

Yup, for now on whenever I hear this song, I will definitely think of you.
I've learned that a lot of women like to think they're smart because most men don't take the time to 'look at them'. I see right through it. I pulled up by a girl at a red light one day and complimented her. She was waiting to cross the road. I did this just for a shrug (like doing something for a laugh).

She blushed and started going into that whole "I have value and I'm special" speech and all the things girls say when they don't want to look classless (she didn't use those words; it's what she meant). I told her, "Oh, just get in my car and let's go get a drink." I don't care what it's supposed to be. I see what it is. And from there I proceed.

I'm not afraid to approach God Himself (if I'm able to stand in His presence, that is). God lets me come into His presence and approach Him. So, what makes you think I'm afraid to approach angels or humans, or women just because some of them want to believe they're more special than they are. There's no one I won't approach or talk to. No one is exempt. No one is safe. (Lol.) If I saw Donald Trump, I'd ask him for $500,000,000. I don't know about other wealthy people, but I know if you give Trump a decent spiel, he has a way of picking up on moxie, and anything is possible when that's the case. Remember to play your song every single day. But don't think of me. Goodbye.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
If you followed me around for a day, you'd consider everything I've said on this site to be very humble. Most of you men-- especially western men, because we're supposed to be 'proper' and please everyone else-- fell for the lies you were fed from birth by cultures that are run by the enemy and from the luciferians he put in leadesdhip positions.

You were lied to about your purpose in life, your identity, your responsibilities, your obligations, the important things in life, what you should pursue, what women want and like and pursue in life and in men. You don't allow women to mature emotionally or mentally, then you complain when they act crazy, cheat on you, and divorce you. Do preteen girls know what living as an adult looks like? You've kept women psychologically preteen-- self-centered and unable to make sense of anything that doesn't feel good-- then you blame them for doing things that children do when your arrogance, need to be 'at the top', need to control their sexuality, and false chivalry and overprotectiveness prevented them from doing so.

You swallowed the lies hook, line, and sinker. As we all know, no one who is poor likes those who are privileged, and no one who is in bondage likes or enjoys those who are free. I'm free. Goodbye.
Whatever dude. I don't even know where this came from LOL

Apr 15, 2022
USA
I prefer the company of men myself. Most women are vapid, gossip continually and are generally far too emotional about everything. The women who aren't like that usually have a life, career, family so little time for new friends.

As a result I have always gravitated toward having male friends (IRL), but always and without fail, the guy ends up in love and wanting more. Tons of friendships ruined by that.

So I now gravitate towards being a hermit or towards friendships with women much older than myself.. Hahaha
Why is it okay when women say that men can't be 'just friends' with them but men can't say it? This happens to a lot of men. Women don't want to be 'just friends' with them. Is that really hard to believe, or are women trying to stake sole claim to sexual attraction?

Women who have male friends are 'crafty'. Have you ever been about to think a thought-- maybe a negative thought about someone-- and you caught yourself and said, "I'm not going to think that"? The fact is you already thought it-- but you thought it down in your subconscious mind and stopped it before it traveled up to your conscious mind. What women do is they keep a lot of things-- that they or others consider bad or wrong-- in their subconscious mind. That way, they don't have to take responsibility if they cheat, steal, kill, or any number of things. They can't be blamed because they never 'thought' it consciously (but they did subconsciously). Women with male friends are like this: "Oh, they're just friends." Really. In which part of your mind? Men live mostly in the conscious mind of reality and logic and so can easily state that they want to sleep with their female friends. Women don't have to admit anything because they can pretend like it doesn't exist: it's filed away in the subconscious mind, so no one can consciously accuse you of it. How nice.

The fact is that women (at least most of the time) with male friends don't feel comfortable if their male friends aren't attracted to them in a romantic-sexual way. Most women feel like if a man is close to them but isn't sexually attracted to them, then there's something wrong with them. This is one reason many women-- who know better-- end up cheating: girlfriends, fiancees, wives. They find it hard being around men who aren't sexually attracted to them, but then when men are sexually attracted to them, they're likelier to have sex with those men (which is another point that makes a case for men and women who are not married not having been designed to be together for long periods of time-- like at the workplace).

By the way, men don't fall in love unless a.) they're under a literal witchcraft spell or b.) they're under the spell of soy milk and beta upbringing from society at large. Men don't fall in love with women. Even women falling in love with men is a little disturbing. It's natural for men to love a woman, but not to clumsily fall in love (and then who will lead in the relationship if the man is down with a broken leg). That's just ridiculous.

Apr 15, 2022
USA
On a more serious note, I think rejection is a major thing with men and it is even worse when they perceive it than when it really happens. Some men who I knew had a crush or were interested in me (especially the shy ones) would not approach me because of fear of rejection. Once, I asked an Irish acquaintance (a man) why another one of them was staring so hard at me but would not speak to me? He told me that they were simply just in fear of being rejected. The whole situation is made even more complex with mixed signals and mis-communication. I just wish there were more ways to address what men and women feel.
You wouldn't have to worry about me staring. I'm acting before I'm staring. I make my move and let the woman decide if she's going to be receiving or rejecting. Rejection doesn't hurt me because I'm not. There are reasons rejection hurts people the first one being rejection naturally hurts. The other reasons are complicated.

At college with friends, I was making the first move. At the grocery store with friends, I was making the first move. The only girl I dated that I loved I met in West Virginia. She was a softball player and a tomboy (who a lot of men love). My friends were standing around looking at girls and trying to work up the courage to make a move on one. I looked up and saw Miss West Virginia grabbing some stuff out of her car. I told my friends I was going to date her. They rolled their eyes. By the time they turned back around to say something to me, I was already talking to her.

Women love to be approached. Women also love interest, especially if the interest is genuine or at least seems genuine. I told this girl she was going to be my girlfriend and wasn't going to be getting away from me. It was the State Fair. I kept one eyeball on her everywhere my group and her group went. One of her friends brought me a note and said it was from her. I was like, "Hell to the yizay." I read it. She wanted to meet me at some benches in thirty minutes. I arrived early (lol). She finally got there (seemed like an eternity) and sat across from me. "I like you," said I. "I like you too," said she. We started dating on the spot. It was so simple and so teen years. I found out she was a softball player when she started winging half-eaten watermelon rinds into the tree line. I loved this girl, and she loved me. Not sloppy love but simple, innocent love. She filled my heart like the wind in open sails. I've never loved anyone since because I became serious and severe and God is protecting me for the wife He has for me.

If I want something, I ask for it, go for it, whatever. Life is short, and I believe in pursuing what you want. I encourage girls to do this too: if you like some guy, it's better to get rejected now rather than later. Besides, it has to be terrible living life and wondering "What if?" If you want something, go and take it. Or at least ask for it. If you can. But don't sit around just wanting. That by itself would drive anyone crazy.

A

akaDorthy

1.) I'm handsome.

2.) I have a nice body.
I believe someone asked to see a photo of you, and I don't think you have yet obliged them, so therefore as of right now numbers 1 and 2 are up for debate.

blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah.............
if number 23 is so true then why do you need to be bringing home the women?

Am I not magnificent?
NO, you're not.

Am I not a gift from angels above to womenfolk below?
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::cry::cry::cry::cry:
This is so comical, if only it wasn't so sad.

Am I not magnificent?
Did you mean to say "Maleficent " there?

A

akaDorthy

I've learned that a lot of women like to think they're smart because most men don't take the time to 'look at them'. I see right through it. I pulled up by a girl at a red light one day and complimented her. She was waiting to cross the road. I did this just for a shrug (like doing something for a laugh).

She blushed and started going into that whole "I have value and I'm special" speech and all the things girls say when they don't want to look classless (she didn't use those words; it's what she meant). I told her, "Oh, just get in my car and let's go get a drink." I don't care what it's supposed to be. I see what it is. And from there I proceed.

I'm not afraid to approach God Himself (if I'm able to stand in His presence, that is). God lets me come into His presence and approach Him. So, what makes you think I'm afraid to approach angels or humans, or women just because some of them want to believe they're more special than they are. There's no one I won't approach or talk to. No one is exempt. No one is safe. (Lol.) If I saw Donald Trump, I'd ask him for $500,000,000. I don't know about other wealthy people, but I know if you give Trump a decent spiel, he has a way of picking up on moxie, and anything is possible when that's the case. Remember to play your song every single day. But don't think of me. Goodbye.
Well, maybe, hopefully "Goodbye" from you means you've put me on ignore?
But you do realize that NOTHING you just said here in reply to my previous post has ANYTHING to do with what I had said, right?
Oh well, I just jumped into your thread here with a shrug, you know, like something to do for a laugh- because (almost) everything you say is just that-laughable

Live4Him3

Jesus is Lord
May 19, 2022
Your comments bore me. Some people have such low self-esteem that sometimes just the presence of another person makes them feel like the person is bragging. You run around with a wounded heart, thinking a woman will give you a chance because she feels sorry for you. You're chasing a woman's love and saying and doing all the things that turn women off. But you're too self-righteous to see that the problem is you, not all those 'worldly women' out there.

Remember this: no one dislikes another person for thinking they're special; whoever dislikes someone for that, the real issue isn't that the other person thinks they're special; the real issue is that the person doing the disliking thinks the other person is special. And they hate themselves for it. Because you can't hate other people for their own personal thoughts about themselves. Human Psychology 202.

I'm like a city on a hill. I have to purposely hide the qualities about myself that people (especially women) are drawn to because a.) people's evaluation of me is not my evaluation of myself, and b.) I don't want to be a stumbling block to anyone. You think you're having a bad life now; you should hear some of the compliments I've gotten from women. Let's list a few reasons you should be angry.

1.) I'm handsome.

2.) I have a nice body.

3.) I'm confident.

4.) I'm very ambitious.

5.) I know what I want.

6.) I'm unapologetic.

7.) I'm honest.

9.) I'm mysterious.

10.) I'm outgoing.

11.) I love people.

12.) I have integrity.

14.) I'm authentic.

16.) I love humor.

18.) I'm versatile and adaptable to different people and environments and circumstances.

19.) I enjoy everything (sports, singing, every type of music, dancing, drawing, camping, museums, travel, art galleries, fashion, orchestras, fishing, mixed martial arts, eating out, shopping, movies, serious things, fun things, and everything in between).

22.) I'm intelligent.

24.) I'm courageous.

Am I not magnificent? Am I not a gift from angels above to womenfolk below? SMH. You can't be saved. Western nations as a whole create weak, beta men who think it's normal to cater to women. And the churches are even worse, making men so weak that they often become useless to God and His purposes-- men who are eager to go to war and fight 'the bad guys' so we can feel strong and dutiful, but unable to stand up or fight for justice here in our homeland. Am I not magnificent? You don't have to follow my threads anymore. You're on ignore now where I put not people who disagree with me, but people who are disagreeable.
Thanks for proving my points about you.

You need a lot of help, and, btw, I'm doing just fine...especially in God's sight which is the only sight that will matter in the end.

Now, see if you can get that giant head of yours through your bedroom doorway in order to get yourself some much needed rest. Oh, and don't forget to dream about yourself tonight.

Live4Him3

Jesus is Lord
May 19, 2022
Ya know what? You come across as attractive when you are not talking about your ex or others. But I think that for you, its a healing thing? Seems to be....That is my opinion however and yes I agree opinions are not factual :)
Hey...

I should be sleeping, but I'm obviously not.

Let me begin by sincerely thanking you for your comments about my ex because, when I first read them last night, they sincerely gave me pause. In other words, they made me realize that I can easily give the wrong impression to others as to why I'm saying or doing certain things, and that's not something that I'd ever want to be guilty of.

This is my third time through here ("Live4Him", "Live4Him2", and now "Live4Him3"), and I deactivated my first two accounts, and there's really no easy way that I know of to read my posts under my first two accounts without looking them up under specific keywords. I'm mentioning this because I'm truly not sure why I initially brought up my ex my first time through here, but I'm thinking (I could be mistaken) that I initially did so in order to "level the playing field", so to speak. In other words, I think (maybe I'm mistaken) that most, if not all of us, would agree that it's normally men who are painted in a negative light (and for good reasons) when it comes to failed marriages or relationships, but there are times when women are primarily to blame. This is not just one man's opinion, but the Bible actually has much to say along these lines, and here are but a couple of examples (I'm deliberately choosing verses which I haven't already cited here in the past):

"A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband: but she that makes ashamed is as rottenness in his bones." (Proverbs 12:4)

In context, the "woman" here is a wife in that "her husband" is referenced, and a wife can either be "a crown to her husband" or "as rottenness in his bones". I'm not about to elaborate on this greatly, but let's just say that a wife can have either a positive affect where her husband is concerned or a negative affect.

Again:

Matthew chapter 10

[34] Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
[35] For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
[36] And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
[37] He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
[38] And he that takes not his cross, and follows after me, is not worthy of me.

At first glance, what Jesus said here seemingly has nothing to do with husbands and wives. In other words, "a man's foes...of his own household" seems to be speaking solely about son/father, daughter/mother, and daughter-in-law/mother-in-law relationships that may become divided because of one party's allegiance to Christ.

However, Jesus was actually quoting from the prophet Micah here, and here is the fuller context:

Micah chapter 7

[5] Trust not in a friend, put not confidence in a guide: keep the doors of your mouth from her that lies in your bosom.
[6] For the son dishonors the father, the daughter rises up against her mother, the daughter in law against her mother in law; a man's enemies are the men of his own house.

Here, both "a friend" and "her that lies in your bosom" or a wife are mentioned in the same exact context of "a man's enemies" being those "of his own house".

Anyhow, my point is that, according to God's word, the problem is not always the man/husband, but sometimes it's the woman/wife, and that is why I'm thinking that I initially mentioned some of the things which transpired between my ex and me. Again, to level the playing field, so to speak, or to hopefully show that men aren't always the true culprits.

Along these same lines, I've mentioned quite a few things about that past relationship for the potential benefit of other men here. In other words, throughout my whole ordeal, as I've plainly testified before, I was regularly wrongly condemned, and I wanted to potentially give men some comfort or hope in case they may have endured some of the same types of things that I've had to endure. I know, from several different comments that at least one male poster here has made since I first joined, that there's at least one other man here who endured things similar to the types of things that I endured, and if my own testimony has brought any comfort to him or anybody else, then it's all been worth it.

Finally, and this is a BIGGIE, I've shared a lot of what I've shared so that people here don't wrongly assume that men are never the wronged party while condemning them on top of what they've already had to endure. As I've shared here before, whether anybody wants to acknowledge or admit it or not, Christ himself entered in a covenant with the nation of Israel which is repeatedly likened to a marriage covenant throughout scripture. That marital relationship was riddled with adultery, spiritually speaking, on Israel's part, and that marital relationship ultimately ended in divorce (for the 10 northern tribes of Israel). In other words, the husband (Christ) wasn't the guilty party, and therefore he wasn't truly worthy of anyone's scorn or condemnation.

Anyhow, my overall purpose in talking about these types of things has never been to "bash" my ex. As I've said many times before, she and I are quite amicable now, and I genuinely wish her no harm whatsoever. Instead, I regularly pray for her, and I fear greatly for her soul in that she has renounced both Christ and Christianity, and she is presently involved in all sorts of demonically-inspired "religions" while regularly taking Jesus' name in vain.

This also isn't some sort of "healing process" for me because, as God himself already knows (I'm not trying to convince any of you), that healing process is already complete...and it took YEARS to complete.

Ultimately, I personally have no regrets about my marriage.

That said and meant, I do have deep concerns about my ex's spiritual condition and also about how that whole ordeal potentially negatively affected/still affects my/our three children.

Anyhow, again, I thank you for your comments, and I hope that this helps you to understand just a little bit better as to where I'm coming from or my actual motives for sharing some of the things that I've shared here.

Have a blessed day in the Lord.

jennymae

Feb 28, 2020
I don’t get the topic of this thread. Why’s it such a big deal whether men and women can, or can’t be friends? I have both male and female friends, and most people I know have male and female friends.

Men and women fall in love all the time. If a male friend falls in love with me…what’s the big deal? Be it mutual, fine, if not, that’s how life is and I don’t think it’s so awkward that we can’t stay friends. If I fall in love and it ain’t mutual? Not much fun, surely, but should I ruin a friendship just because my selfish feelings are being hurt? To me that sounds like a very emotional, and not healthy approach to life.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ

1.) I'm handsome.

2.) I have a nice body.

3.) I'm confident.

4.) I'm very ambitious.

5.) I know what I want.

6.) I'm unapologetic.

7.) I'm honest.

9.) I'm mysterious.

10.) I'm outgoing.

11.) I love people.

12.) I have integrity.

14.) I'm authentic.

16.) I love humor.

22.) I'm intelligent.

24.) I'm courageous.

You left out "humble".

Live4Him3

Jesus is Lord
May 19, 2022
You left out "humble".
And for good cause.

It wouldn't surprise me if he needs to keep sandbags tied around his ankles in order to prevent his hot air balloon head from just carrying him off into space.

This guy's so full of himself that he makes Satan look humble by comparison.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Plato da man!

Not sure what point he is trying to make tho

IMG_1485.JPG

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I thought back in the day Greek men just hung around forums arguing about stuff while Greek women were revered as Goddesses who could launch a thousand ships.

Hazelelponi

Jul 8, 2019
USA
agree with both of your assessments here, but can't you see how difficult this makes things for godly men?
I think friendships and dating is a minefield for anyone who is true to the faith, male or female. It's not easy, but in the end when we put God first and not ourselves, we will find the right path to be on.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
well James did write and say to adulterers and adulteress that friendship with the world is emnity with God.

And theres also that verse in Proverbs about not being friends with an angry man.

So you do need to be careful about who you are friends with. Though Quakers believe that true believers can be friends and even call their meetings 'the religious society of friends' and call each other friends. The meeting houses are they gather and you can stay there if you are a friend. Cos thats what friends do, look out for each other