Can one repent at the Judgement or after death?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Icedaisey

Jul 19, 2021
Can one repent at the Judgement or after death?

Hebrew 9:27 says death followed by Judgement. It does not say one can not repent after death.

So, what texts do say one can not repent after death?
Need there be any?

It is for this that we labor and strive [often called to account], because we have fixed our [confident] hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe [in Him, recognize Him as the Son of God, and accept Him as Savior and Lord].
1 Timothy 4:10

People are able to repent during the great tribulation.

Jul 28, 2021
Explain how example 1 works if salvation cannot be attained after death?
It is covered because it was before the cross.
You are appointed one death and then you face judgement.

Jul 28, 2021
If the gospel was preached to the dead from Noah's flood, how do we know this couldn't happen again to the dead from modern times?
Because Scripture declares it. It is appointed for a man once to die and then comes judgement.

Jul 28, 2021
If the gospel was preached to the dead from Noah's flood, how do we know this couldn't happen again to the dead from modern times?
The gospel has been told throughout the modern world. There is no excuse.

JohnRH

Mar 5, 2018
Example 1: someone that was born and died before Jesus (such as Abraham).
All of the saints who died in the old testament era were saved through faith before they died.
These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. Heb 11:13 (KJV)

faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Heb 11:1 (KJV)
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. Heb 11:6 (KJV)
How can you "seek Him" after you die, when you are face to face with Him?

Example 2: someone that lived and died in an isolated community that had never heard of Christ.
God put them in those communities for the very purpose of them getting saved.
And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation; 27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us: Acts 17:26-27 (KJV)

Example 3: someone that struggled with Christian identity
I don't know what "Christian identity" is, but it sounds self-focused, as opposed to Savior-focused.

Huckleberry

Aug 25, 2013
Your lack of understanding is profound,
but if you're stuck on this heresy,
you'd fit right in with the Mormons.
People are able to repent during the great tribulation.
There is no "the great tribulation".

Jan 14, 2021
Your lack of understanding is profound,
but if you're stuck on this heresy,
you'd fit right in with the Mormons.
If my understanding is lacking, show me the correct way with scripture. From the perspective of scripture: there is nothing heretical about the interpretation that God may grant mercy posthumously; there is nothing heretical about the interpretation that the conscious-dead may find Christ. Why are you making false accusations of heresy? What part of the discussion are you alleging is a heresy?

I'm not suggesting that the opportunity for post-humous salvation is a fact, only that the concept of "the opportunity for finding salvation ends at bodily death" is not a neccessary conclusion. If you feel it is a necessary conclusion, make your case with scripture.

Jul 28, 2021
If my understanding is lacking, show me the correct way with scripture. From the perspective of scripture: there is nothing heretical about the interpretation that God may grant mercy posthumously; there is nothing heretical about the interpretation that the conscious-dead may find Christ. Why are you making false accusations of heresy? What part of the discussion are you alleging is a heresy?

I'm not suggesting that the opportunity for post-humous salvation is a fact, only that the concept of "the opportunity for finding salvation ends at bodily death" is not a neccessary conclusion. If you feel it is a necessary conclusion, make your case with scripture.
My question is, what would be the point? If someone rejects Jesus while they are living, why would you imagine they would suddenly have a change of heart after they die? There is plenty of opportunity to repent while alive. Further, no man came come to the Lord lest the Father draw Him. If God does not draw you to the Lord while you are alive, why would you imagine it would happen after death?

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
My question is, what would be the point? If someone rejects Jesus while they are living, why would you imagine they would suddenly have a change of heart after they die? There is plenty of opportunity to repent while alive. Further, no man came come to the Lord lest the Father draw Him. If God does not draw you to the Lord while you are alive, why would you imagine it would happen after death?
If permitted than a lot of people repent after dead after they know how bed hades is
Now steal and become rich than repent when die
Anyway we don’t need money anymore there want better mention heaven just repent when die

Jul 28, 2021
If permitted than a lot of people repent after dead after they know how bed hades is
Now steal and become rich than repent when die
Anyway we don’t need money anymore there want better mention heaven just repent when die
So, because hell scares the hell out of them they will repent. It has nothing to do with Jesus. I don't think that's gonna fly.

Feb 16, 2017
I assume you are talking about the Lake of Fire (not Hades)? I have not seen any scripture which expresses the position that the opportunity for salvation ends at bodily death.?
You are teaching classic Jehovah's Witness Doctrine.
So that explains why you believe that Christ rejectors who die, get a few more chances after they are dead.

Here is the reality....

On Earth, Christ was the Lamb, slain, as an offering.
When He rose again, He didn't resurrect as a Lamb. He came out of the Grave as a Lion.
He is not in Heaven now, as a savior. He is in Heaven as a King.
He will be returning, not to die again, but to bring Wrath and a 1000 yrs reign.
He won't be offering salvation as a King, to Christ rejectors, who died.
Believe it.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
So, because hell scares the hell out of them they will repent. It has nothing to do with Jesus. I don't think that's gonna fly.
If we allow repent after in hell every body will do

Feb 16, 2017
If we allow repent after in hell every body will do
Exactly.

Everyone who is in hell would gladly believe on Christ, today, and yesterday, and tomorrow.
But they can't, because that is not FAITH.
The Cross is not raised in HELL, its raised on EARTH.

Its not FAITH when you can see it........and if you are in hell, you can see it.
Its only faith when you have to believe it, and yet, you can't see it.

"the evidence of things NOT SEEN"......"but hoped for"..

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
The story of the rich man and Lazarus would indicate that effective repentance after death is not possible.
Hi Friend, I would not depend of repenting after death. I reread Luke 16. I do not see the rich man trying to repent. God is able to cross or move someone from one side of a pit to the other. Maybe, you can find better texts. I am still looking.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
We are told that those, at the GWTJ, whose names are not written in the book of life will be cast into the lake of fire. It's too late.
Where does it say a person's name can not be written in the book of life after they die and repent at the judgement?

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
I disagree completely. The rich man knew he was in torment AFTER DEATH.

It is appointed to man to die once, and then face judgement. There is nothing in Scripture to suggest there is any opportunity to repent; such a belief is the lie of the universalists.
I am not sure any universalists believe in repenting. Not, am I aware that their theologians tried to make a case for repenting after death at the judgement. Are you aware of any such quotes to post with a link to the source, please.

Jul 28, 2021
Where does it say a person's name can not be written in the book of life after they die and repent at the judgement?
The judgement is the judgement, it is not an opportunity to repent.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
The opportunity for finding salvation after death would not necessarily mean that everyone would find salvation.

Another way to look at this question is to ask if Hades is "the green mile" to the lake of fire. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. There isn't anything that clearly states that inhabitants of Hades will or will not have their name in the book of life.

If people can't find Christ after death, when did Abraham find Christ? (John 8:56) A prophesy? A vision given to him on his deathbed? There are examples of dead people that are conscious. What is stopping a conscious dead person from accepting Christ?
Isaiah 14 King of Babylon awake in the grave.