Can the nonelect ever be born-again? (2 Kings 22:27) With the elect thou wilt be elect: and with the perverse thou wilt be perverted.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Will the nonelect ever be born-again?

• The nonelect can be born-again.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FollowerofShiloh

Jan 24, 2024
Well, yes, it is wrong... but why not let us butcher a bunch of grammar in the process?! Ha!
He has never given "Mercy" to anyone on these forums (that I have witnessed).
I agree one reaps what they sow but God is doing that to him as we type.
We just need to keep heaping on the coals of truth without judgement to the ole boy.

rogerg

Jul 13, 2021
No sorry, that's not what it says.

“But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will (false prophets) secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign LORD who bought them- (the false prophets who had been bought) bringing swift destruction on themselves.”
Yeah, I think it's the false prophets who had been bought part where we disagree. I don't think false prophets are included in the bought group. I think this is confirmed by 2:9. It tells us there that the godly (those justified by Christ) because of the Lord's intervention, cannot follow a false gospel, but the false teachers do and teach such, are reserved unto the day of judgement, which would therefore eliminate the false teachers from among the godly - those bought.

[2Pe 2:1 KJV] 1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

[2Pe 2:9 KJV] 9 The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:

FollowerofShiloh

Jan 24, 2024
It just seems pretty clear to me what is being said. There aren't two ways to understand what it says.
There is only one meaning to what Peter is saying here.
False Teachers were Bought by God, they were SAVED like You and myself, but now the false teachers are bringing on their own destruction.

FollowerofShiloh

Jan 24, 2024
Yeah, I think it's the false prophets who had been bought part where we disagree. I don't think false prophets are included in the bought group. I think this is confirmed by 2:9. It tells us there that the godly (those justified by Christ) because of the Lord's intervention, cannot follow a false gospel, but the false teachers do and teach such, are reserved unto the day of judgement, which would therefore eliminate the false teachers from among the godly - those bought.

[2Pe 2:1 KJV] 1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

[2Pe 2:9 KJV] 9 The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:
You are not even in denial you're just fibbing now.

Dec 18, 2023

.Jesus defeated death for all mankind

FollowerofShiloh

Jan 24, 2024
I truly believe if Jesus said the false teachers were saved that ole boy whose name begins with the letter "R" would tell Jesus He is wrong.

Dec 18, 2023
John Calvin promoting WORKS!
Did Hell just freeze over?
Calvin understood prayer to be vital in the Christian life and viewed it as the “chief exercise of faith.” For centuries, with few exceptions, Calvin's instruction on prayer has remained buried within the Institutes

Dec 18, 2023
John Calvin promoting WORKS!
Did Hell just freeze over?
learn all about Calvin

5 minute with this link and a link to his institute of religion.

https://www.ligonier.org/podcasts/5-minutes-in-church-history-with-stephen-nichols/calvin-on-prayer

MAY 20, 2015
Christian LivingSpiritual GrowthSpiritual DisciplinesPrayer
Calvin on Prayer

Stephen Nichols

Transcript
"Words fail to explain how necessary prayer is, and in how many ways the exercise of prayer is profitable. It is therefore by the benefit of prayer that we reach those riches which are laid up for us with the heavenly Father."
These are the words of John Calvin on the necessity of prayer, and they come to us from his Institutes of the Christian Religion. In this work, Calvin gets at theology through the structure of four books. The first book is on the knowledge of God the Creator; the second book is on the knowledge of God the Redeemer in Christ. In the third book, Calvin turns his attention to the Holy Spirit and the way in which we receive the grace of Christ and what benefits come to us from it. Book four is about the church and life in the Spirit.
In book three, chapter twenty, Calvin writes on prayer. He begins by talking about the necessity of prayer: "We need prayer because this is how God's benefits reach us." Of course, Calvin raises the question of why we should pray if God is sovereign over all things. Doesn't that make prayer superfluous? Calvin responds by saying that prayer first of all has to do with us—prayer changes us, and prayer is a crucial discipline of the Christian life. It's also our duty. God commands us to pray; that's enough for Calvin.
Calvin then turns to what he calls the rules for right prayer. He lists five rules; the first is to come before God with reverence. This is how we frame prayer—we recognize who God is; we revere Him; and in light of who He is, we recognize who we are.
The second rule of prayer is to pray out of insufficiency. It's very simple: we ask because we need. Prayer is a constant reminder of our utter dependence on God and of God's all-sufficiency for us.
The third rule is to come pleading mercy. We don't deserve anything—this is the posture that Calvin wants us to take. We don't deserve anything before God; it is His sheer good pleasure and mercy to extend to us these blessings and benefits and to answer our prayers.
Calvin's fourth rule is to pray with confident hope. We should be encouraged that God answers prayer. If we are living in tune with the Spirit, reading God's Word, and praying in accordance with Scripture, then we can be assured that God hears our prayers and that He will answer our prayers.
The fifth rule is to pray in Jesus' name. Jesus is our intercessor, our mediator. He's not only our High Priest who sat down after completing the work of redemption; He's our High Priest who stands up and ever intercedes for us before the Father's throne. This is what Calvin says about praying in the name of Jesus and recognizing Jesus as our intercessor: "For as soon as God's dread majesty comes to mind, we cannot but tremble and be driven far away by the recognition of our own unworthiness, until Christ comes forward as intermediary to change the throne of dreadful glory into the throne of grace." So, as the biblical author tells us, "Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace" (Heb. 4:16

ThereRoseaLamb

Jan 17, 2023
Yeah, I think it's the false prophets who had been bought part where we disagree.
Naturally...

I don't think false prophets are included in the bought group.

Ok, let's go slowly and clear it up.

“But there were also false prophets... False prophets secretly introduce(d) destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign LORD who bought them (which) ( brought) swift destruction on themselves.”

So now, we have a clear picture of what is being said.

rogerg

Jul 13, 2021
Naturally...

Ok, let's go slowly and clear it up.

“But there were also false prophets... False prophets secretly introduce(d) destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign LORD who bought them (which) ( brought) swift destruction on themselves.”

So now, we have a clear picture of what is being said.
[2Pe 2:3 KJV] 3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.

The "them" pertains to the people but not to the false prophets. Do you see the "shall be" and "shall bring in"? They both are in the future tense, not in the current tense, in other words, they aren't yet among them. The "bought", however, is not stated in the future tense but could have been had the false prophets also pertained to the "bought". If you look at 2:3, you can see a distinction between the "they" (the false prophets) and the "you" (the bought). Therefore, by that, the false prophets are being differentiated, separated and distinguished, from the "bought". It goes on to discuss the judgement of the false prophets but not the judgment of the bought which would have had to be so stated if the two were of the same group, and which further reinforces that the false prophets are not part of the "bought".
Look at Mat 24:24. It is basically saying exactly the same thing as 2 Pet 2:1. It does not identify the false prophets as being of the elect (the bought) - not even close - but entirely separates and differentiates them, and again, the false prophets are in the future tense. IOW, the elect in Mat 24:24 represent the equivalent of the bought of 2 Pet 2:1 with the false prophets representing the equivalent of the false prophets of 2 Pet 2:1 with no intermingling of the two.

[Mat 24:24 KJV] 24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if [it were] possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

The same with 1Jo 4:1. A distinction is being made between the "beloved" - the "bought" - and false prophets, so, the false prophets are clearly differentiated from the elect just as with the bought of 2 Pe 2:1.

[1Jo 4:1 KJV] 1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
“But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign LORD who bought them-bringing swift destruction on themselves.”

These people were the elect, it says the Lord bought them. And then they brought destruction on themselves. So they were "saved" then "destroyed".
More accurately, they were atoned for and then destroyed. It still contradicts limited atonement.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
More accurately, they were atoned for and then destroyed. It still contradicts limited atonement.
Not necessarily. In the Corinthian church, many were sick and dead because of their sin. God can use chastening or death to bring destruction to His own.
What's your thoughts on Ananias and Sapphira in Acts 5?

Mar 7, 2024
If you're speaking of all the believing born again Christians, that is the body. If you're talking about the denomination of "Catholic", no you're incorrect. I know what a Catholic thinks it means vs what it actually means.
Cold I suggest you do a quick search to find out what the word, you keep misusing actually means. If you do that then you will be qualified to use the word according to it correct interpretation. You don't have the authority to change or impose your view of what the word "Catholic" means.

Look it up and educate yourself, then you won't embarrass yourself by commenting about something, which you don't eve know the meaning of. Once you learn what the word means, then you may be qualified to comment

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
^ Might I suggest, that one saying/writing "I am A Catholic" others reading this may get a different impression from that of hearing one saying/writing "I am Catholic".

Just a suggestion to consider. = )

ThereRoseaLamb

Jan 17, 2023
Not necessarily. In the Corinthian church, many were sick and dead because of their sin. God can use chastening or death to bring destruction to His own.
What's your thoughts on Ananias and Sapphira in Acts 5?
So according to Calvinism the elect can still be sent to hell? Wow, that's a rough deal.