Can there be forgiveness without repentance?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
Well this frees up anyone from repenting. If I don't have to repent to receive forgiveness.
Except for:

"Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God,
and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ." (Acts 20:21)​

Amen.

Ted01

May 14, 2022
Well this frees up anyone from repenting. If I don't have to repent to receive forgiveness.
I guess if you have no concern to walk righteously among mankind and before God... no, you can be as callous as you'd like.

But didn't Jesus teach us to do otherwise?

Matt. 5:23-24 (NASB)
Therefore if you are presenting your offering at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your offering there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and present your offering.

JohnB

Jul 31, 2022
Calif
Except for:

"Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God,
and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ." (Acts 20:21)​

Amen.
So there is no forgiveness without repentance?

Bob-Carabbio

Jun 24, 2020
I have seen stories on the news, where a family forgives a murderer, even though the murderer does not repent of what they did. They admit to what they did, but are not sorry. How can anyone offer forgiveness to someone who has not repented? Is this an example of casting your pearls before swine?
Of course. "Forgiveness" is nothing more than "Tearing up the I.O.U." that the injured party holds against the offender.

Of course "Forgiveness" has nothing to do with being "Born again", which is a CLEANSING / REMOVAL of SIN as the result of FAITH in Jesus' SIN OFFERING. to join THAT club, Surrender and repentance is needed.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
God died for everyone, because he loved them..

But not everyone will be saved.

just because i forgive you does nto mean you have to receive my forgiveness..

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Where is this woman's confession of repentance?

John 8 ► Berean Standard Bible (The Woman Caught in Adultery)

1 But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.

2 Early in the morning He went back into the temple courts. All the people came to Him, and He sat
down to teach them. 3 The scribes and Pharisees, however, brought to Him a woman caught in adultery.
They made her stand before them 4 and said, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery.
5 In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such a woman. So what do You say?”

6 They said this to test Him, in order to have a basis for accusing Him.
But Jesus bent down and began to write on the ground with His finger.

7 When they continued to question Him, He straightened up and said to them, “Let him who is without
sin among you be the first to cast a stone at her.”
8 And again He bent down and wrote on the ground.

9 When they heard this, they began to go away one by one, beginning with the older ones,
until only Jesus was left, with the woman standing there. 10 Then Jesus straightened up
and asked her,
“Woman, where are your accusers? Has no one condemned you?”

11 “No one, Lord,” she answered.

“Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Now go and sin no more.”

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Again you misconstrue my words. If you want to leave damaged relationships unfixed, then don’t repent. You may be forgiven, but you also may find yourself on the outside of a boundary you can’t cross.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Where is this man's confession of repentance?

Matthew 9 ► Berean Standard Bible (Jesus Heals a Paralytic [Mark 2:1–12; Luke 5:17–26])

1 Jesus got into a boat, crossed over, and came to His own town. 2 Just then some
men brought to Him a paralytic lying on a mat. When Jesus saw their faith, He said
to the paralytic,
“Take courage, son; your sins are forgiven.”

3 On seeing this, some of the scribes said to themselves, “This man is blaspheming!”

4 But Jesus knew what they were thinking and said, “Why do you harbor evil in your hearts?
5 Which is easier: to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up and walk?’ 6 But so that you
may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins...”
Then He said to the
paralytic,
“Get up, pick up your mat, and go home.” 7 And the man got up and went home.

8 When the crowds saw this, they were filled with awe and glorified God, who had given such authority to men.

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
God forgives sins but he does it in various ways. One way is through a baptism, another through Christ's blood when we repent, two others here:

Jas_5:20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

Here a person who converts someone to Christ has their sins "hidden" which is the same as being forgiven.

1Pe_4:8 And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.

Here someone who shows charity to others has their sins "covered" which is the same as being forgiven.

Here are two examples of sins being forgiven due to having faith:

Luk 7:37 And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster box of ointment,
Luk 7:38 And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment.
Luk 7:39 Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This man, if he were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth him: for she is a sinner.
Luk 7:40 And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he saith, Master, say on.
Luk 7:41 There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty.
Luk 7:42 And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most?
Luk 7:43 Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged.
Luk 7:44 And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head.
Luk 7:45 Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet.
Luk 7:46 My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment.
Luk 7:47 Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.
Luk 7:48 And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven.
Luk 7:49 And they that sat at meat with him began to say within themselves, Who is this that forgiveth sins also?
Luk 7:50 And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.

She has not repented of her sins yet her sins were forgiven and Christ also declares that her faith saved her! Faith can resuls in forgiven sins.

Mar 2:3 And they come unto him, bringing one sick of the palsy, which was borne of four.
Mar 2:4 And when they could not come nigh unto him for the press, they uncovered the roof where he was: and when they had broken it up, they let down the bed wherein the sick of the palsy lay.
Mar 2:5 When Jesus saw their faith, he said unto the sick of the palsy, Son, thy sins be forgiven thee.

Same is found here.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I have seen stories on the news, where a family forgives a murderer, even though the murderer does not repent of what they did. They admit to what they did, but are not sorry. How can anyone offer forgiveness to someone who has not repented? Is this an example of casting your pearls before swine?
“And when they were come to the place, which is called Calvary, there they crucified him, and the malefactors, one on the right hand, and the other on the left. Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.

And they parted his raiment, and cast lots. And the people stood beholding. And the rulers also with them derided him, saying, He saved others; let him save himself, if he be Christ, the chosen of God. And the soldiers also mocked him, coming to him, and offering him vinegar, and saying, If thou be the king of the Jews, save thyself.
‭‭Luke‬ ‭23:33

“For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭5:6-8‬ ‭KJV‬‬

buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead. And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;”
‭‭Colossians‬ ‭2:12-14‬ ‭KJV‬‬

forgiveness leads to true repentance of it doesn’t then judgement becomes justified

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
“For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭5:6-8‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Romans 5:8
:)

JohnB

Jul 31, 2022
Calif
Where is this man's confession of repentance?

Matthew 9 ► Berean Standard Bible (Jesus Heals a Paralytic [Mark 2:1–12; Luke 5:17–26])

1 Jesus got into a boat, crossed over, and came to His own town. 2 Just then some
men brought to Him a paralytic lying on a mat. When Jesus saw their faith, He said
to the paralytic,
“Take courage, son; your sins are forgiven.”

3 On seeing this, some of the scribes said to themselves, “This man is blaspheming!”

4 But Jesus knew what they were thinking and said, “Why do you harbor evil in your hearts?
5 Which is easier: to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up and walk?’ 6 But so that you
may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins...”
Then He said to the
paralytic,
“Get up, pick up your mat, and go home.” 7 And the man got up and went home.

8 When the crowds saw this, they were filled with awe and glorified God, who had given such authority to men.
The murdered did not repent, they were not sorry for what they did. Yet the family forgave him.

JohnB

Jul 31, 2022
Calif
God died for everyone, because he loved them..

But not everyone will be saved.

just because i forgive you does nto mean you have to receive my forgiveness..
I would think you would ask the person to repent first.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
You seem to be conflating forgiveness from God with forgiveness from other people. They don’t work exactly the same way.

Bruce_Leiter

Feb 17, 2023
You're talking about the difference between forgiveness and reconciliation. Forgiveness is letting go to God the judgment we feel toward someone who has sinned. Reconciliation is regaining fellowship or friendship with a sinner. God can give us the ability to forgive people without being reconciled to them.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
I would think you would ask the person to repent first.
He ask them to have faith and trust him

that would never happen unless they repented.

it does not mean he did not die for them, he died for everyone who will go to hell

they will go to hell because they never believed, which means they never repented. Not because their forgiveness was not paid for.

JohnB

Jul 31, 2022
Calif
God has done so many times, through the prophets, the apostles, and Jesus Himself.
In the millennial reign it says we will rule with a rod of iron. I wonder how forgiveness will work than. A thunk to the head? LOL