Can you commit a lesser sin to avoid a greater?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Can you commit a lesser sin to avoid a greater sin?and what about polygamy?select3-4

• polygamy is better than sleeping around

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • polygamy is worse than sleeping around

• polygamy or sleeping around is NOT a fact of life

• polygamy or sleeping is a fact of life

• polygamy or sleeping around is a fact of life only for ungodly

• polygamy or sleeping around is a fact of life for both godly and ungodly

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cookie39

Oct 5, 2009
What I'm basically saying is this: if a couple makes a mistake and sleeps together, would getting married be trying to make it right, or just making another mistake? I'd say the latter... at least in most cases.
how is it to be called an mistake?? are you saying that they never heard that sex before marriage is sin? and once someone told them, then they try to make it right.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
If one simply looks at life itself we realize that it is not the single big things that destroy, but the little things. The big things are always seen and most move quickly to repair, fix or remove. The little things are often overlooked, set aside, and slowly destroy and often because under the surface cause compleate destruction . Often by the time one notices, the corruption is so compleate that to restore, all has to be destroyed and built compleately new again.
God bless, pickles

cookie39

Oct 5, 2009
There are plenty of films Jesus would go to see with me.

He would also come to the club with me and play Euchre.

He might even buy me a beer.

He would not encourage me to get drunk.
be ye not conformed to this world, but be ye transformded by the renewing of your mind with the reading of the word. yes we know Jesus sat and ate with the sinners, and had wine with their meal. but I don't think he would of stayed if they brought in belly dancers, or where I'm from stripper. and talked to them about the kingdom of God; not about how'd they like they behind on the chic just walked in. and I seriosly doubt if our Lord would like to see anything that will not edify the kingdom of God and the salvation that he had to so viciously laid his life down for.... He may have been in the male body but his (mind) is so not ear the way men think. and I think it is blasphemy to say Christ would hang out in a club and have( or by you a beer). it's a sick thought.. and I pray no one who is tring to build a relationship with God believe that.

cookie39

Oct 5, 2009
I have no idea if He'd want to or not, same as I've no idea if he'd want a game of footy or a bacon sarnie. Each to his own.

But anyway, there's nothing intrinsically immoral about going to see a film, even if the film depicts things which would be immoral if they were carried out in real life.
real life?? that is what God died to save us from? wait a minute,, is you saved....if so, you don't display any form of it nor a relationship with your Saviour. nor his Word? real life is why we suffer so much...praise God he is not like man.

M

Maddog

cookie39 said:
I think it is blasphemy to say Christ would hang out in a club and have( or by you a beer). it's a sick thought.
Why? There's nothing sick about having or buying someone a pint.

cookie39 said:
real life?? that is what God died to save us from? wait a minute,, is you saved....if so, you don't display any form of it nor a relationship with your Saviour. nor his Word? real life is why we suffer so much...praise God he is not like man.
Well thanks for your trans-Atlantic cyber assessment of my relationship with God.
Unfortunately, other than that I don't understand what you're trying to say. Care to reiterate?

A

Ancilla

I was reading the polygamy thread actually and was going to include this in that but did not want that thread to get hijacked and off topic...but I was thinking if it was better that some guys/girls sleep around all the time, and then when one gets pregnant they do not 'acknowledge the kid' or become a true mother/father to it but either become a dead beat dad or abort it or something similiar....or is it better to actually believe that people can be married to more than one person at the same time? Because I remember Mohogany Snail saying that he believes that when a person has sex, they are married, if that is true then polygamy is a sure fact of life...
Maybe I don't understand what you're saying.

A

Ancilla

how is it to be called an mistake?? are you saying that they never heard that sex before marriage is sin? and once someone told them, then they try to make it right.
I don't know what you mean by "how is it to be called an mistake." What I'm saying is that Christians make mistakes and have sex and if, as Mahoganysnail says, they're considered married, then what should they do next if they wanted to make it right. Do they marry or do they not get married.

T

thefightinglamb

Was trying to include how I got to the subject of 'lesser sins' from polygamy....

But what I am trying to say is that since I believe 'sleeping around' has basically been a fact of life probably since Esau, I think polygamy should be equally accepted by the ungodly....I would much rather have people actually taking care of the people they sleep with, then sleeping around, not caring, and treating themselves and their 'partners' as whores and their offspring as fetuses that can simply be aborted...or just treating 'sex' as a 'meaningless pleasure act'. I think this belief that sex is a non-meaningful sensual act or just 'for fun' is absurd and leads to abortions, infidelities, lust, and other things...whereas if they actually not only where spiritually connected through sex but actually married the people they had sex with, then something at least more meaningful would become of it, rather than abortions, et cetera... For some reason in my mind, the modern thought of sex as 'meaningless pleasure/fun--hopefully it won't create a baby' is one of the most demented concepts I have ever come across... Every baby that comes from sex is a blessing. And in a strange way I think it would be better for people who are going to sleep around to have many wives than to sleep around meaninglessly, have accidental babies they may abort, and ruin both their current families lives and the life of the baby born out of wedlock; I don't know what I am trying to say...

Let me give another scenerio...My 19 year old brother sleeps with his girlfriend, and since I do not believe they are going to stop, I seem to say in my mind, well 'if they are not going to stop, then it is better that they get married'...and since I see the first option as futile, I resort to this second tactic...Perhaps not right, perhaps insisting on them not sleeping together is the perfect thing to do, which I do...but do I have to put my foot down and insist every time I speak to him that it stop or can this other option of if they get married, then it was not meaningless sex but actually meant what it was suppose to, even if they did it before they were suppose to....lesser sin being they get married, greater sin that they just continue to sleep around, as he does not ahve it right now in his mind to get married for years...

I kind of think this is a bad scenerio and I am more of an "INSISTER on not sinning" than I am now portraying, but I hate the fact that people even in my family seem to take 'sexual relations with less emphasis than they should' and I don't know what to do about it...

hmmm
just thoughts, no I am not a mormon--though I think it is fairly cool how they can ride bikes like kids and wear suits at the same time
:)

God bless
tony

Last edited:
G

greatkraw

be ye not conformed to this world, but be ye transformded by the renewing of your mind with the reading of the word. yes we know Jesus sat and ate with the sinners, and had wine with their meal. but I don't think he would of stayed if they brought in belly dancers, or where I'm from stripper. and talked to them about the kingdom of God; not about how'd they like they behind on the chic just walked in. and I seriosly doubt if our Lord would like to see anything that will not edify the kingdom of God and the salvation that he had to so viciously laid his life down for.... He may have been in the male body but his (mind) is so not ear the way men think. and I think it is blasphemy to say Christ would hang out in a club and have( or by you a beer). it's a sick thought.. and I pray no one who is tring to build a relationship with God believe that.

I see where you are coming from. I did not mean NIGHTclub. I dunno if he would go there or not.

We have clubs for people with common interests.

Paul used to go to pagan temple restaurants because they had the cleanest food.

The clubs here are financed mmostly through gambling.

I am sure Christ would not encourage that, either.

Certainly no stripping or anything.

G

greatkraw

Playing Euchre is not a sin. Eating meat is not a sin. Drinking beer is not a sin.

Status
Not open for further replies.