Chatting someone up

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

Hamarr

I haven’t really worked around many creepy women, but with all of the me too stuff, I do try to escape when they go into lewd jokes or topics. I see a lot of other guys do this nowadays, too. One of my co workers likes to make sexual jokes, and my first thought is just “flee” when I am talking to her.

I have been hit on or flirted with at woke a bit and I usually enjoy it or laugh it off. A lot of it is teasing since I suck at flirting and that sort of stuff myself. When I worked with in a small area with three women, I used to joke about keeping a sexual harassment file.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I think there’s a bit of truth to this. This sketch come to mind:
https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/9qzldj
I try to make some effort to get out and socialize at work. I spend so much time around them. It does make me wonder if people think I am creeping on them when I am just trying to be friendly. I wouldn’t bother hitting on anyone at work. There’s just too much potential for awkwardness if things don’t work out. I’ve been around a bit of that with my co worker who dates others in the office.
I've simply come to the conclusion that there is nobody who is interesting and interested at work... or at church... or.. or....

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
I've simply come to the conclusion that there is nobody who is interesting and interested at work... or at church... or.. or....
And that's why there are internet dating sites (or at least rumor is they're still out there, can't say I've looked for them recently)

Loads of interesting people, even if most of them are figments of their own imagination.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Yeah, that's a problem. Too many figments of everyone's imagination, carefully crafted to what they think all the other figments around them want to see. Makes it hard to find any real people.

OneOfHis

Mar 24, 2019
What creeps you out about how people talk to you, particularly if you are single?

I have found in the workplace its men who cant handle a lady who is single and not interested in them (sexually)
As a christian man I am creeped out if a woman is interested in me sexually. Not the other way around.

I have no interest in anything like that unless it's with my wife.

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
For me, I’ve also noticed that not smiling helps keep people away.

Maybe I’m the creepy one :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
You could flee but then youd be unemployed so you need to weigh that up with fleeing.
There is a lot of pressure to keep at a job and put up with it.

For women theres not much you can do about it but pray...binding demons often helps I had to do that a lot in the job with a way too friendly workmate. He would joke about sleeping with me, talk about marry me all the time, all in his vivid imagination when Id done absolutely nothing to entertain the idea...I just happen to be breathing and female. And someome said well you must be beautiful well all females are beautiful although im not anything much im not like rachel hunter or supermodel or anything.

He kept threatening to come after me and ask me out so when I had enough and quit he was shocked but i didnt give him as the reason I just wanted to move on. Thankfully he never did call me outside of work or turn up at my door. But others have tried. Its creepy! I dont want to have to deal with a stalker. One of the workmates left fishnet stockings in my letterbox I just ignored it and chucked them in the bin.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
And that's why there are internet dating sites (or at least rumor is they're still out there, can't say I've looked for them recently)

Loads of interesting people, even if most of them are figments of their own imagination.
Is this for creeps to gather on...?

Its sad they now have a reputation for being creepy. Im sure many young people first starting out have been corrupted by them. When you are young you dont want to be naive, but lack of experience just means you are an easy target for older folk.

What annoys me is if you show the slightest bit of kindness or civility, some people assume that means they can move in with you. In other words they see an opening and take advantage.

Well theres three words you can say to them NO! NO! and NO!

Feb 28, 2016
you are right Lan,
but most folks now a days are desperate and will settle for what ever 'satan' offers in order
to fill or make them feel that their needs can or will be met, on any level...

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Often you can just say NO Im really not interested in sleeping with you.
But othertimes you need to be more forceful or just avoid them but in some situations thats difficult.

Men just need to learn some respect and honour. If a man is actually interested in a lady they can show it by giving flowers or doing an act of kindness you know, nor staring or leering or harassing someone.
More blanket statements.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
You speaking in tongues...?
Thats what christian chat is supposed to be...praising and magnifying God, not ourselves.

Some people have wrong way round they believe they themselves are God, and the real God is someone they hardly ever talk to!

Its supoosed to be when two or three gather in His name, Jesus is with us. But many people just go ahead and ignore Jesus. Come on you dont think God is listening to EVERY single idle word you say? Cos He is!

Aug 2, 2009
Thats what christian chat is supposed to be...praising and magnifying God, not ourselves.

Some people have wrong way round they believe they themselves are God, and the real God is someone they hardly ever talk to!

Its supoosed to be when two or three gather in His name, Jesus is with us. But many people just go ahead and ignore Jesus. Come on you dont think God is listening to EVERY single idle word you say? Cos He is!
Not much of a sense of humor eh. Ok, bye!

...and to those of you who know me here... stuff like THIS is exactly why I no longer post in CC like I used to. This forum is nothing like it used to be.

Aug 2, 2009

I don't even know what in the world you are talking about or why you said this. What does it have to do with a cat saying meow? I was just trying to lighten the mood in here. And I am sorry I did. What a hate-filled person you must be. It's funny how you're trying to tell me about being christian when you're the one attacking me like the devil.

Mel85

Daughter of the True King
Mar 28, 2018
This coming from the person who created the OP “Chatting someone up”. ? No where does your post talk about praising God.... so I’d suggest you take that log outta your eye.

G00WZ

May 16, 2014
I don't even know what in the world you are talking about or why you said this. What does it have to do with a cat saying meow? I was just trying to lighten the mood in here. And I am sorry I did. What a hate-filled person you must be. It's funny how you're trying to tell me about being christian when you're the one attacking me like the devil.
I might be wrong but i don't think Lanolin was flaming you, it looks like she was asking if you were speaking in tongues, then she said that is what cc is supposed to be doing, and that its about, praising God and not ourselves... Then she kind-of went off on a tangent that isn't directed at anyone specifically, and then into a full on Lanolin preach mode time.

M

Miri

What creeps you out about how people talk to you, particularly if you are single?

I have found in the workplace its men who cant handle a lady who is single and not interested in them (sexually) Its hard to be professional when your supposed workmate wants to not be professional and chat you up.

What do you do in those situations?
You could tell the management, but management might not even care, and you could either lose your job for telling the truth, or have them disciplined but they could make life tough for you.

This is what people DONT warn you about on the job, particularly for younger women. Older men just see them young women as fresh meat. Prey.

Its not a modern day thing, because even back in Bible times Boaz was looking out for Ruth, he didnt want other men chatting her up. But who really wants to marry their boss? I mean really? Do we know if by him marrying her she still had to work in the fields? I expect so, but treated better cos you need all hands on deck when its the barley harvest. Do we need to be married to stop other men checking us out?

Cos I dont know if being married really stops it. Would you go after a married woman or man? Or someone who has a had a string of previouses? The woman at the well who had five husbands...didnt seem to stop hanging round creepy men an nearly lumped Jesus in with them.

How refeshing to have a conversation with someone of the opposite sex who IS NOT sizing you up. If Jesus knows all we ever did there is no need for anyone to be nosy and ask us constantly if we are single. The intersting thing is how Jesus responded to this woman...call your husband, for he knew he wasnt meant to talk with her. The disciples were suprised to see him talking with her and you wonder if they thought he was chatting her up. But no, he was simply asking for her to give him a drink.

No innuendo at all, and no creepy advances.

Now I know christian chat is just that, christian Chat. Can you imagine if it was NOT christian chat and everyone was just chatting everyone up and being creepy instead of having good comversations in Christ!

Hi at least you don’t have my problem (or maybe you do)!

Me at work on Wednesday with desk fan on. My manger says “are you really warm or have you put the fan on just to make your hair blow in the breeze.”

My reply “Mister you are 23! I am 51 with hot flushes if you think I’m turning the fan off just so you don’t get distracted by my hair blowing in the breeze, think again!” Lol

People often think I’m younger than I am so I get all the young ones commenting! Where as the older guys my age are either all married or they think I’m a youngster.

Quick photo of me this morning getting ready for work. My hair is damp (just got out of the shower) I will dry it with the fan at work later! Hahaha

Attachments

M

Miri

Oh I forget to add he is gay as well. So not only do I get the younger ones, I get the gay ones too!

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Well the speaking in tongues thing was a bit much...

but I can't imagine honestly...they have anonymous hotlines for stuff like that. Leastways they do at most businesses...

I had an odd thought...is it considered attractive to go cross-eyed around someone? Seems to send "some" kind of message.
Guy starts to hit on you...go cross eyed and with a slight scowl on your face. Post back with results? I personally would have no idea what to make of that lol.

I will say it gets frustrated talking to christian females for reasons you described but in a "purer" sense. Those acts of kindness are overlooked, and flowers is over the top. Even trying to "talk" to someone is too much for some it seems. I respect the boundaries as much as I can, but like we don't teleport to the altar. I won't let my semi-bitterness keep coming out so I'll just leave it...

Try that cross-eyed thing ;)

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
Not much of a sense of humor eh. Ok, bye!

...and to those of you who know me here... stuff like THIS is exactly why I no longer post in CC like I used to. This forum is nothing like it used to be.
Stuff like that is why the ignore button exists, because it really doesn't take too long to figure out that some people just don't have anything to say that's worth listening to. And those of us who know you, know that you are a valued part of our community and one of the people we're grateful to have around when we're going through something and need someone to show some kindness and understanding.