Christ kept the Law of Moses, so....

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
So as long as I love others, its ok to commit adultery / fornication etc... on the basis that the other person is happy and agreeable etc...?
:oops:

No Biblical definition of love includes those things... quite the opposite!

Ted01

May 14, 2022
Yes I accept love one another - the point I was making is - is that it or are there more laws / commandments, such as adultery / fornication etc... as Jesus does say in Matt 5:17 not come to abolish the law?
I think that they are ideas on how people love and show love. So far, we have learned how by the world how to love... God wants us to learn His ways. They're not so much commands as they're better ways than what we've been led to believe, and indeed hold to strongly. The Christian's obligation is to grow in Christ, whom we serve... and to grow in Christ, we learn His ways.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
The problem with the SIMPLICITY approach is in defining the word "love". There are now "Christian churches" who espouse the teaching that if a man 'loves' a man they ought to be allowed to marry. But what say you?
Not me, But God Says:

"Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through​
the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies​
between themselves: Who changed the truth of God into a lie,​
and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator,​
Who is Blessed for ever. Amen.​

For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even​
their women did change the natural use into that which is against​
nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the​
woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men​
working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that​
recompence of their error which was meet." (Romans 1:24-27)​
+
"They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate."​
(Titus 1:16)​
Professing "christian churches"(?) need to "take heed," eh?:

So as long as I love others, its ok to commit adultery / fornication etc... on the basis that the other person is happy and agreeable etc...?
"Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever​
a man soweth, that shall he also reap." (Galatians 6:7)​
Hi - the point was if we dont keep the law what were the commandments / laws of Jesus - if none then we are open to adultery / fornication etc... if we are not allowed to do this - then we need to keep some laws - which was is it - No laws or some laws?
Again, God Has, In "The Simplicity Of Christ," Under Grace today:

"Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that​
loveth another hath fulfilled the law. For this, Thou shalt not​
commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal,​
Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and​
if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended​
in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.​
Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the​
fulfilling of the law." (Romans 13:8-10)​
+
"For all the law is fulfilled In One Word, even in this;​
Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." (Galatians 5:14)​
Or, is it fulfilled by 'some other' method?
the law is not enough, it never did save anyone. The correct understanding of the law is that it is necessary ... for sinners
Correct, why would I (righteous) "place myself back Under" what God Says,
Is "for
the UNrighteous":

"Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man,​
but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for​
sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and​
murderers of mothers, for manslayers" (1 Timothy 1:9)​
+
"For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse..."​
(Galatians 3:10)​
Wouldn't the 'righteous' much rather have, from our Father, Abba, This?:

"Blessed be the God and Father of our LORD Jesus Christ, Who Hath
Blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

(Ephesians 1:3)

Whew! Way Much BETTER than a curse, eh?!

Amen.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Yes I accept love one another - the point I was making is - is that it or are there more laws / commandments, such as adultery / fornication etc... as Jesus does say in Matt 5:17 not come to abolish the law?
After Jesus fulfilled the Law, He abolished it.

As to the point you are making it is covered in Romans 13:8-10: Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

BroTan

Sep 16, 2021
I've heard other sincere believers say that since Jesus kept the Laws of Moses we should keep them or at least try and somehow that is following Him. Is this what Jesus was talking about in these passages?

Mathew 5:17-20 Jesus said, Do not think that I came to destroy the law and the prophets. No , I have not come to destroy them , but to fulfil them... whoever breaks the least of these commandment , and teaches men so, he will be called the least in the kingdom....

Mathew 5 verse 20 For I(JESUS) say to you, unless your rightousness exceeds the rightousness of the scribes and the pharisees, you cannot enter the kingdom of heaven.

In verse 17, Jesus said we're teach and do the law of Moses to be great in the kingdom and in verse 20 Jesus said unless your rightousness exceeds the rightousness of the Law you'll in no case enter the kingdom of heaven.
Are we to do both, keep the Law of Moses like Jesus, and keep Jesus words in red . Would that be exceeding the scribes and pharisees rightousness?
A man asked Jesus this very question, "...What good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?", and Jesus replied, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. (Matthew 19:16-19).

This was a direct answer to a direct question, which all of us will do well to take heed to. Anybody can claim to have faith, but actions speak louder than words. Faith and works go together and you can't have one without the other. "Here is the patience of the saints; here are they that keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus" (Revelation 14:12). True saints realize that God's law must be obeyed to receive eternal life.

Now if Jesus is our master then we should follow His steps. (1 Peter 2:21) For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: And remember that Jesus is the captain of our salvation. So let’s see our captain lead by example. (Luke 4:14-16) (v.14) And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about. (v.15) And he taught in their synagogues, being glorified of all. (v.16) And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue (the church) on the Sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

Jesus regularly attended religious services on the Sabbath day "as His custom was". He obeyed His own command to meet (holy convocation) every Sabbath day. Remember that it was Christ: (1Peter:2: 22) Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: Jesus did no sin. But what is sin? (1John:3:4) Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. So every time you break (transgress) one of God’s commandments you have committed sin. And one of those commandments is to: (Ex.20:8) Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. That’s why Jesus went to church on the seventh day of the week.

Grace911

Nov 11, 2018
After Jesus fulfilled the Law, He abolished it.
Jesus did not abolish any of the law (torah/marriage covenant). Had he done so He would have violated the law and He would be a sinner. Your accusation is an abomination to all of the Word.

If you refer to the destruction of the Temple and all that was involved with that service, that happened 40 years after Jesus' death, burial and resurrection and is now on pause and not done away with.

You will not find any text sayig Jesus abolished the law, but of course, you can do all things "out of context".

Malachi 3:6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Yeshua is the LORD/YHWH. Yeshua is the Hebrew name for Jesus. It means "Yahweh [the LORD] is Salvation."

Deuteronomy 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:
5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

Mark 12:29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

Deuteronomy 4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Deuteronomy 12:32 What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.

Matthew 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,
2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Grace911

Nov 11, 2018
As to the point you are making it is covered in Romans 13:8-10: Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
Too many seem to desire to cut out as much of the Word as they can and change the Word to mean something that it does not say. And in their error come out looking like a "bully" or perhaps just playing as "the devil's advocate". Either way, I really love how it makes me search out the scriptures to prove truth from lies and errors.

Just observing the Ten Commandments we can see YHWH/LORD has not left us wondering what LOVE is. The first five commandments are How To LOVE the LORD God. The next 5 commandments are things you will not do to your neighbor and that is how to love your neighbor. With the indwelling of the Helper/Comforter, you can keep the commandments. They are not grievous or burdensome.

Psalms 55:22 Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.

Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

The Ten Commandments (Exodus 20:1-17)

1John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

1=Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
2=Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
3=Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
4=Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
5=Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
6=Thou shalt not kill.
7=Thou shalt not commit adultery.
8=Thou shalt not steal.
9=Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
10=Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world.
Amen.

Matthew 23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,
2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

1John 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Jesus did not abolish any of the law (torah/marriage covenant). Had he done so He would have violated the law and He would be a sinner. Your accusation is an abomination to all of the Word.
And your accusation shows your IGNORANCE of the Word.

And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished: But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the Old Testament; which vail is done away in Christ. (2 Cor 3:13,15)

Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace (Eph 2:15)

When Christ shouted victoriously on the cross "IT IS FINISHED" that declaration included the abolishment of the Law of Moses ("the Law of Commandments"). PROOF: The veil in the temple separating the Holy of Holies from the Holy Place was supernaturally torn in two from top to bottom. That was a message to Israel that the Law of Moses (including the temple worship and the Levitical priesthood) had come to an end, and now the New Covenant in the blood of Christ was in effect.

Christians need to be perfectly clear that they are under the New Covenant, and God has abolished the Old Covenant. The book of Hebrews explains everything.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Too many seem to desire to cut out as much of the Word as they can and change the Word to mean something that it does not say.
The Word is saying exactly what it is saying. You were trying to dodge what is written in Romans and creating your own theology. So you can either learn the truth and give up your errors, or double down on your errors and hold on to false ideas.

Grace911

Nov 11, 2018
The Word is saying exactly what it is saying. You were trying to dodge what is written in Romans and creating your own theology. So you can either learn the truth and give up your errors, or double down on your errors and hold on to false ideas.
Right. The New Covenant is for the House of Israel and House of Judah. Hebrews 8:8 and Jeremiah 31:31. Nothing wrong with the gentiles of the nations who get their fire insurance by accepting Jesus and do not or will not do as Jesus commanded. Instead, it does appear to be "I can do all things "out of context"."

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
Christians need to be perfectly clear that they are under the New Covenant, and God has abolished the Old Covenant. The book of Hebrews explains everything.
The old covenant is not the 10 commandments.
The laws were part of the old covenant but when the old covenant was abolished does not mean the moral law is abolished.

Jan 29, 2023
Since Jesus gave the words to Moses to write down, how could they be "contrary" to Him"? The Old Covenant was given for a specific time and purpose.
Jesus was strictly under the Law until the day of His crucifixion and death. Not the day of His baptism. Indeed He died as the final Passover Lamb on Nisan 14 AD 30.

I can agree that the Messiah is THE Passover Lamb to which all passover lambs point, but can He really be "the final passover lamb (Luk 22:16)?

Jan 29, 2023
The old covenant is not the 10 commandments.
The laws were part of the old covenant but when the old covenant was abolished does not mean the moral law is abolished.

Finally! Somebody who sees that the old covenant is not equal to the Law. I have found that it is rare for Christians to see this.

Jan 29, 2023
I've not experienced what you have in church. But, I have seen individuals that uphold the Law, that I have personally known, (that I do not agree with on some doctrines) that have far more fruitful lives than most I've seen in the modern churches that teach the Law is not that relevant.

I only want to live and speak as the scriptures speak. I believe the scriptures I shared are within context and apply to those of us that have been born of the Spirit. I am a witness to the leading of the Spirit in this way. I do not seek to be justified in the Law, but as I sit under the reading of the Word, I hear the heart of GOD in His Law and in all the reciting of the history of the Saints. I have found great peace in obeying, from the heart, the things revealed in the Old Testament scriptures. They are profitable for doctrine and instruction in righteousness...

Jesus came, not only by loving people but also by instructing, and rebuking, in the ways of true righteousness. He magnified the Law and made it honorable, just as His Father prophesied of Him in Isaiah 42:20-24.

I do not wish to argue but, to put the brethren in remembrance of the Whole Counsel of GOD.

Oh, Amen.

Jan 29, 2023
Requirment?

If I love my wife, I will not sin against her
If I love my parents, I will honor them
if I love my neighbor, i wil not covet what they will have, I will praise God.

Love fulfills the law..

I do not need the law..

Paul, the Apostle to the gentiles, needed the Law (Acts 25:8). Why wouldn't you? If you truly are walking in Love then it's the Law which will prove your righteousness ahead of the judgement.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I can agree that the Messiah is THE Passover Lamb to which all passover lambs point, but can He really be "the final passover lamb (Luk 22:16)?
Christ FULFILLED all the OT sacrifices including that of the Passover Lamb. Therefore it must be taken as final -- "one sacrifice for sins for ever". Therefore Paul says that Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us. Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us: (1 Cor 5:7) But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool. For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.(Heb 10:12-14)

Jan 29, 2023
I do understand so much of what you are saying. And thank you for the post. But in my view, and I don't at all want to be offensive, I cannot understand why christians tell other christians they should or must obey the ten commandments. Under the new covenant, applicable law is written in the mind and placed on the heart of every believer. That is one off the two cornerstones on which the new covenant stands. Surely, what is in your mind, you in your mind must know, and what is in your heart, you in your heart want to follow. In my view, it is impossible for any truly born again christian to ignore the fact God does not want them to steal, commit adultery, murder, bear false witness, covet, take the Lords name in vain. I can only speak from personal experience. But that knowledge is with me day and night. It is in my heart and mind, I cannot escape from it, it is part of who I now am.
When I first joined internet debating websites, people were debating the ten commandments. To be honest I could not remember what all of them were. So I read up on them, a refresher course if you like for the purpose of debate. The thing that hit me was, I already, in my heart and mind knew that was how I should live and wanted to live in God's sight. I'm afraid to me, it seems very old covenant to tell christians they should or must obey the ten commandments. I know my twelve times tables, they are in my mind. It would seem a pointless exercise for anyone to tell me I needed to read them again and apply them. Anyway, that's just my view from my own personal experience

Pretty sound reasoning. But the heart can be deceptive. It can be deceived. If the Law is written in your heart, as you say, and you need not look at the Ten Commandments in Exodus 20 then the following question wont offend... Do you remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy?

Jan 29, 2023
Christ FULFILLED all the OT sacrifices including that of the Passover Lamb. Therefore it must be taken as final -- "one sacrifice for sins for ever". Therefore Paul says that Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us. Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us: (1 Cor 5:7) But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool. For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.(Heb 10:12-14)

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. Naturally I've read and believe the same Scripture that you've quoted, but that isn't answering my question. I'll try another way. Christ observed the Lord's Passover with His disciples (Luke 22). During the Passover Christ said that He will eat the Passover again when it is fulfilled in the Kingdom. If Christ revealing Himself as the Passover Lamb necessarily ends the observance of the Lord's Passover then why does Christ intend to observe it again?

Jan 29, 2023
I am only advocating to the using of the Law, lawfully and getting back to what Paul and Jesus said on the subject, no more and no less.

I hear many giving their opinions as though their understanding and opinion are equal to the scriptures, even though I have asked to see your doctrine within context in the scriptures.

No one has been able to produce any depth of understanding by bringing the scriptures, and showing cohesively, that what you attest of is the doctrine held by Jesus or the Apostles.

Um... that's because you're absolutely right. To practically everything you've posted here I can say - Amen!

Jan 29, 2023
Christ kept the Law of Moses, so....

Christ fulfilled the Law, so... we are no longer under the law, but under grace. This is elementary and fundamental Christian doctrine.

True. But not terribly helpful in assisting the Christian in making moral judgement. For example, some "churches" now permit gay marriage. Are they under grace?