christ name is not JESUS

  • Thread starter Thread starter RuaTruth
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
There is no salvation in pronunciation, we will all receive a new name if we make it to the Kingdom of Heaven.
 
Once I ate a jalapeño. It was very jot. I maybe said hesus jelp me. *sjrugs* sometimes I think I know I dont know. º~º
 
I personally think its rude to change somebody's name. Now given the circumstances, we are instructed to pray to the Father, and ask in a certain name......wouldn't it be at least good manners if we got His name correct? If I put a different name on my cheques, even if meant the same thing, you wouldn't be entitled to the money. Out of respect I pray in Yeshua's Name, because that's what I understand His name is.
 
I personally think its rude to change somebody's name. Now given the circumstances, we are instructed to pray to the Father, and ask in a certain name......wouldn't it be at least good manners if we got His name correct? If I put a different name on my cheques, even if meant the same thing, you wouldn't be entitled to the money. Out of respect I pray in Yeshua's Name, because that's what I understand His name is.

I understand it, but we have people claiming "no salvation" when praying to Jesus Christ. Who are we to judge?

Yeshua correctly translated into English should be Salvation but His Greek name was Iesous translated into English as Jesus.
 
I personally think its rude to change somebody's name. Now given the circumstances, we are instructed to pray to the Father, and ask in a certain name......wouldn't it be at least good manners if we got His name correct? If I put a different name on my cheques, even if meant the same thing, you wouldn't be entitled to the money. Out of respect I pray in Yeshua's Name, because that's what I understand His name is.

Some of Jesus' disciples are referred to with "different" names because of different languages, or because they, for whatever reason, had two names. I doubt they were offended. Most (?) of the probably spoke both Aramaic, Greek and Hebrew

Peter's Greek name was Simon and his Hebrew name was Cephas
 
I'm not condemning anyone, even my wife still uses Jesus. Personally I just think that if His name is holy, His name is above all names, why would anybody say, "Hey, let's change it." It wasn't anything I read that convinced me to not call Him Jesus. It's just not His given name, no matter how many people use it.
 
Once I ate a jalapeño. It was very jot. I maybe said hesus jelp me. *sjrugs* sometimes I think I know I dont know. º~º
And this was only written as some lite-hearted humor, not meant to offend anyone, I hope that was understood. (only because ppl were debating about the use of the letter 'J'.) And now I have to lol as I just now thought of the whole 'WhatWouldJesusDo' movement. (WWJD)
If we used the greek Ieosous? would it be W W I D?!
Or WW?D. I believe the Lord understands our intentions. When it says whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord, He knows our native language(s). I doubt He's standing there, arms folded, saying, 'Oops, you said Jesus, not Yeshua, so it doesn't count, sorry'. Or something to that effect. Not trying to make light of someone's convictions, though. If someone believes God wants them to address Him a certain way, who am I to q that? I just wouldn't want someone else to feel bad, or inferior, or perhaps not saved at all, because of anyone putting legalistic demands on how to pronounce the Lord's name. Thank God, the curtain was torn open, the way of salvation is open to all, there is no diff between jew and greek, let whosoever will come and drink from the fountain of the water of life freely, and approach the throne of GRACE for help in time of need, for there is now no condemnation for us in Christ.
And check out this thrilling passage of Scripture... (Rev.19:11-12) ...
◆And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and HE HAD A NAME WRITTEN, THAT NO MAN KNEW, BUT HE HIMSELF.
(emphasis mine. pls read the rest, at least thru vs16) And Praise the Lord!
 
The letter J did not exist till the late 1600's. And the letter J does not exist in the Hebrews dictionary. So there is no way his name is Jesus. So why do so many people call on a false name and be baptized in Jesus if that's not his name? Do you see the deception?

Hello.. I will weigh in on this and hopefully it will clear up some matters for you. Though I see there is an underlying problem here, I'll just address the language aspect.

This is how we get the name Jesus in English.

Firstly, the Hebrew name of Jesus is Yeshua. In Aramaic it's spelled the same way, but it's pronounced Eeshou'.

So, let's begin in Hebrew. In Hebrew, transliterating into to Greek = Iesous. So, the Hebrew y turns into Greek i. The vowel e remains as e. The sh becomes s because Greek does not have an 'sh' sound. The u sounding vowel remains as u but spelled ou (in Greek ού). The final a (which was most likely a guttural sound) appears to have been dropped, as it did in Aramaic. And the final s is added because of Greek grammatical rules, basically, if it's the subject then you add an s at the end of it.

So in short: When transliterating Yeshua from Hebrew into Greek, you get Iesous.

Then into Latin: Iesus. The only real difference here is that the 'ou' is shortened into 'u'. But, that doesn't change the pronunciation anyway. The 'u' vowel still remains as it is in Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek.

Then into German: Jesus (In German, the J is not pronounced as it is in English. It is pronounced as a Y. So in German Jesus is pronounced as "Yee-zus".. So notice, there is no real difference here because the Latin I and German J sound similar.

Then, finally, from German into English: Jesus. In Old English, Middle English and Early Modern English the J was pronounced like the Y/I sound. So, when this first came from German into English it probably would have sounded like "Yesus" or "Iesus".

The history behind it is: In the 17th century a distinction began being made between I and J. Eventually J took on the sound that it makes today. So in earlier forms of English, Jesus was pronounced as "Yesus" or "Iesus" and only later in history, when the shift was made from J being a variant of Y/I to the J today it began being pronounced as Jesus, with J making the J sound as we know it today, in English.

As you can see, this is a completely natural and logical rendering of the Hebrew Yeshua into English Jesus. It went through various languages and periods of history. There is no deception, no mystery to it. At the end of the day, the Lord knows that you're calling out to Him in any language you speak to Him in.

PS: Might have made some linguistic blunders, but that's all according to the best of my understanding. Perhaps someone else can correct or add on anything I missed.

Here is an article from an actual linguist (A Semitic language scholar) who explains this as well: https://askdrbrown.org/portfolio/wh...s-really-a-pagan-corruption-of-the-name-zeus/

Blessings!
 
The deception I see here is coming from YOU only. Seems like you have never called upon the name of JESUS CHRIST in time of crisis, or high praise. When I call upon His name, something always happens. His holy spirit touches me in some form or fashion...because HE hears and listens and does care for His own. Demons flee at the mere mention of His name, they tremble. Apparently, using the name JESUS CHRIST has no special meaning for you. We see that YOU offer no other solution to your own confusion here, leaving a chance for division among CHRISTIANS. What good is that?
 
The deception I see here is coming from YOU only. Seems like you have never called upon the name of JESUS CHRIST in time of crisis, or high praise. When I call upon His name, something always happens. His holy spirit touches me in some form or fashion...because HE hears and listens and does care for His own. Demons flee at the mere mention of His name, they tremble. Apparently, using the name JESUS CHRIST has no special meaning for you. We see that YOU offer no other solution to your own confusion here, leaving a chance for division among CHRISTIANS. What good is that?
Since you cold-posted this (is that what it's called:)), anyway, you posted without including 'reply-to-quote', can you fill us in who this is directed to? I'm guessing the OP but I don't want to assume so. Thx.
 
i do love the name 'yeshua' too...

it is like a one word gospel...'yeshua' means 'the lord saves'
 
If you are going to get that picky about it you must remove the vowels. And being so it is G-D for the name of G-D is never spelled in full. Messianic jew here.
 
I'm not condemning anyone, even my wife still uses Jesus. Personally I just think that if His name is holy, His name is above all names, why would anybody say, "Hey, let's change it." It wasn't anything I read that convinced me to not call Him Jesus. It's just not His given name, no matter how many people use it.
It really is a moot point when you have intimacy with Him and call Him Jesus.
 
It really is a moot point when you have intimacy with Him and call Him Jesus.

So then mexicans are wrong because they pronounce Jesus as hesus? I am wrong because as a jew I call him Yeshua? You become stones in the path. Like forcing my ancesters to give up their language. I have not said you are wrong for calling Him Jesus. Who gave you the right to say I am wrong?
 
So then mexicans are wrong because they pronounce Jesus as hesus? I am wrong because as a jew I call him Yeshua? You become stones in the path. Like forcing my ancesters to give up their language. I have not said you are wrong for calling Him Jesus. Who gave you the right to say I am wrong?

Calm down, mate. He's saying it doesn't really matter so much. What's more important is knowing your Creator, Saviour and Lord and growing more daily to become more like Christ, with the help of Holy Spirit.
 
Calm down, mate. He's saying it doesn't really matter so much. What's more important is knowing your Creator, Saviour and Lord and growing more daily to become more like Christ, with the help of Holy Spirit.

I thank you and agree. I dont think it was meant to be judmental. My point was words. Choosing and considering the words we use and how they may seem to others. It is not our mouth that calls out to the Lord but our heart and He hears and knows the voice of His sheep.
 
So then mexicans are wrong because they pronounce Jesus as hesus? I am wrong because as a jew I call him Yeshua? You become stones in the path. Like forcing my ancesters to give up their language. I have not said you are wrong for calling Him Jesus. Who gave you the right to say I am wrong?
Look up the word moot and you will discover that you got your knickers in a twist for nothing!! LOL
 
Thank you for the english lesson. Please look up contradiction. The point is moot as long as you call him Jesus.

My original post was not about the moot point post but the preceeding post. Sorry if I responded to the wrong post. I need a beter post hole digger.