Christian "catchphrases"

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

kaylagrl

Look into one another's eyes and tell them, "I love you with the love of the Lord." (barf, talk about phony baloney).
This makes me laugh. I'm old enough to remember a chorus we use to sing during "hand shaking" time. It said " I love you with the Lord". Everybody would look to see if those two ladies fighting in the church would humble themselves and shake hands. lol

Years ago we had a pastors wife who was... spacey. (trying to be nice) And she came up with this idea that she was going to give everyone a compliment when they left service to go home. Well, you'd have to know the people of the church I grew up in. It was quite hilarious. People thought she was insane. I'll hand it to her, she hung in there for a little while. Didn't last long. She got too many eye rolls and grunts for an answer. We laughed about that long after she left. Lesson learned, don't put a big city preacher in a country town. ;)

Edify

Jan 27, 2021
During quiet worship before or after a message in tongues: "Somebody needs to obey the Lord"

K

kaylagrl

"I'll pray about that..."

.. No, ya won't.
I use to be guilty of that one. I stopped. I knew there were times I really needed prayer and people would throw a "I'll pray for you" my way. Then you forget when you turn the corner. Now I pray for that person wherever we are. At that moment. I have a girlfriend who is not is Christian but is really convicted. She has a lot of issues in her life and dates terrible men who treat her badly. So I met her at the local Wal-Mart with my husband who doesn't know her, (she use to live by my family several yrs. ago.) And she was telling me her issues. I reached for her hands and she pulled back and started to cry. She looked at my husband and said " I know what she's going to do, she's going to pray for me right here in Wal- Mart". I laid my hands on her and prayed for her right there in the grocery aisle. You never know, it might have been the last time I ever saw her. When people ask for prayer, I stop what I'm doing and pray.

K

kaylagrl

There's the preacher's favorite (often abused) "in closing"

Hahah! My father uses this, he's an evangelist. We know we have about a half hour when he says that. More if he follows a rabbit trail. If he gets too long I signal by getting up and walking to the back of the church and point at my watch. rofl.

Edify

Jan 27, 2021
Another one that I detest & is unscriptural. When the preacher says "Use your 'prayer language" when the Bible says "as the Spirit gives utterance".

G

Godsgirl83

I'm surprised nobody thought of this one in it's variants:
Bless yer heart
Bless yer pea picking heart
Bless his/her little heart
well now, wasn't that kind of you to share this?
Bless your heart........

K

kaylagrl

poopy is what poopy does... - and thus we have to sit back and view our world,
with real-colored-glasses...= this is for 'those' who KNOW...
I particularly don't like the "vow me a thousand dollars" or that sowing a seed of faith nonsense. But then I don't watch t.v. evangelists, they always have me yelling at the screen.

G

Godsgirl83

Then there's the two you hear in the Pentecostal churches.
"let go" & "Hold on"
is that 2 seperate phrases, or one? as in:

"let go and give it to the Lord, then hold on and see what He does."

K

kaylagrl

Another one that I detest & is unscriptural. When the preacher says "Use your 'prayer language" when the Bible says "as the Spirit gives utterance".

One we say that can actually be detrimental " It was their time, or "God took them home" to someone who lost a loved one. My aunt died when she was 43 of cancer. Her son was around 14 yrs old. So many said " God took her..." and he couldn't understand that. He's an atheist today sadly. I haven't spoken to him in years. He shut me out of his life, an he was like a brother. We need to be careful of the clichés we use.

Edify

Jan 27, 2021
I remember years ago a testimony that was
is that 2 seperate phrases, or one? as in:

"let go and give it to the Lord, then hold on and see what He does."
Usually said during a service when someone is being prayed for at the altar for deliverance or something similar.
One would say "let go" or "let it go" while another will say "Hold on" I've even heard evangelists quote them together in a sermon as a problematic issue about how we need to be in unity .

Edify

Jan 27, 2021
Preacher: God is good
People: All the time
Then they switch.

Edify

Jan 27, 2021
This is an old one, also one I detest. "I thank Gawd I'm saved, sanctified, & filled with the Holy Ghost"
Such pride & arrogance. It was so ironic because nearly every person who said it wasn't.;)