Christian Dating in the Digital Age

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Scribe

Being gifted in cooking TexMex and Cajun dishes would probably be a good reason for an arranged marriage.
1597353749910.jpeg 1597353729786.jpeg

T

TheIndianGirl

Divorce rate would have been very high back then as well if women could/would divorce for adultery and/or abuse. In OT, it sounds like it was acceptable for men to take multiple wives or etc; women nowadays would not put up with that.
I do not think people have changed too much since the beginning of time.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
My grandparents had an arranged marriage.
I dont think my grandma was too happy with it (being married) but grandad ddnt complain.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
when my mum says to me and my sister we ought to get married we are like...WHY?!
and she cant give a good reason.

its not like shes made any effort whatsoever to find any husbands for us. or wives for my brothers.

we all had to find jobs on our own too. A job/career is a better thing to do than a marriage in many respects. So many people who marry find it unfulfilling...well most women find they are worse off. The only positive thing to come from it really is children

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
adam and eve didnt really have a great marriage after being banished from the garden. It all went downhill from there, Adam had to work long hours toiling and Eve had to bear all the children and they ended up killing each other. Its a bit of a horror story really. and there was nobody else around for support.

S

Scribe

adam and eve didnt really have a great marriage after being banished from the garden. It all went downhill from there, Adam had to work long hours toiling and Eve had to bear all the children and they ended up killing each other. Its a bit of a horror story really. and there was nobody else around for support.
ok... that does it.. I'm never gettin married.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
Good Day, Am Bryan Presley i got interest in your profile, please write to my email here ([email protected]) i have important proposal for you ,thanks
Hi Bryan. Why does your profile say that you are a female? Also it is not recommended to post your email here. This is not a dating site and it might be a bit premature to propose, lol.

kinda

Jun 26, 2013
Hi Bryan. Why does your profile say that you are a female? Also it is not recommended to post your email here. This is not a dating site and it might be a bit premature to propose, lol.
Wait, who is getting married?

My good friend got married and had a kid or two. The last time I saw him he said, my life is over. Last time I talked to him he sounded quite defeated and angry. This can't be the norm, this is rare sentiment right?!?! ;)

Aug 14, 2020
thank you my dear how are you doing i understand your massage i am looking for a very serious friendship for a proposal that is why i left my email for more communication because i am always busy with duty

Joy4N8cher

Jul 8, 2020
The world has changed so much since the last time I was in the dating pool. Now it's all apps, websites, social media, profiles, and endless chat. How do you make a real connection with a prospective date in the digital age?
Ok.. sorry for the novel, but i've been thinking about this thread a lot.

How do you u make a real connection with a "prospective" date in the digital age?
This is such a great question!

I personally think that with a lot of wisdom and guidance from the Holy Spirit, online filtering/connecting BEFORE dating can be a true blessing.

I think that if you are a part of a dating site where your personal information is not available until you choose to reveal it, this can be a great thing. You can really take your time, seriously, take a LOT of time!!!!...and meet some great people. (and some real creepy people too, so yeah, it's an ocean and so you need to be wise for sure!) You can learn a lot about yourself too. It can be a confidence builder as you learn to say no, or "walk away" from unhealthy signs in people before you even THINK of giving someone your e-mail, FB profile name or eventually phone number.... let alone go out with the person.

If you think about what it's like to meet a guy at church.. even if you hang out in groups, there is just that magnetizing thing that can happen for NO good reason. It is so premature, but attraction happens and can be very misleading. I think it can cloud thinking from the very start.
If you end up on a date with this person, #1, it CAN be expensive. (doesn't have to be... but many times, it's an investment in going out). In just a few hours, you've got to decide if you want to keep texting throughout the week, go out again...or NOT...and THEN if not, you have to find a gentle way of saying this, because you will keep seeing the person at church in the weeks to come. Annnnd... if you're toooo gentle they may not get the point.
Plus there is just the MEGA awkward that can be going on. Yeah.
I'm not saying that meeting someone at church is a bad idea, but these are just some things to think about.

IF you get to know someone online? You can really take your time in observing the person. You can see what their behavior patterns are like. You see how pushy they are. Are they patient? How much information do they divulge? Do they seem desperate? Are they always complaining? Do they present with a ton of baggage? Do they get angry easily or seem possessive? Anyone who is wanting an e-mail address or phone number right off the bat is giving you MAJOR warning signs and a lot of information. This is a GREAT thing in my opinion and you can have super great boundaries and sneak out of the interaction quite easily.
You can get so much information with much less awkwardness, if you're really observing the right things.

Then, if you DO want to share your e-mail address/FB profile and eventually phone number, you can continue to have great conversations before you would ever go out.
If you DO end up wanting to meet someone you met online, this may sound old fashioned, but I would have them meet you with your friends in a public place, or have a friend nearby... but keep it in a public place. Have them attend church with you, or go to the zoo, or just do something really low key, so you can continue to let your 'feelers' do their job. Also, rather than having your date pick you up, you can meet each other somewhere. This keeps it low key, keeps it at a slower pace, and keeps you safe.

If this person is really someone that you can see a part of your life potentially, you want to see how they fit into your actual life... (and you in their life). Don't rush anything, and keep healthy boundaries. If someone is your potential 'guy' he will respect you for it. If he doesn't respect you for it, this gives you a lot of great information.

This is just my opinion, hope it may provide helpful pieces in your search for healthy relationships and potential dates.

Aug 11, 2020
I feel the same way. I miss the old ways. Online dating can be pit of quicksand. It's easy to build up a fantasy about someone, and fall for that fantasy. And then you meet and they are totally different from what you expected. It creates this image that we can shop around for what we want.

It used to be that people would learn to adapt to differences, because no two people are 100% compatible. There's always some difference. But now we get in this mindset that if we aren't 100%, we can easily jump off to someone else. There's this illusion of "something better" out there. We keep chasing this "something better". But we miss out on actually building a relationship with a real person. Instead, we're chasing a fantasy "ideal" that doesn't exist.

People expect their partners to be everything, and it sets them up for misery because it's a lot of pressure. I'm not saying that people should take the first person to come around, but we're so obsessed with this idealized relationship which is a lot of pressure on both people.

May 27, 2020
Here I am , 27 years old still believing God will send me his desired partner for me I don't know how and where and when but I believe His the creator he can make the impossible possible. I am in a church with about 50- 70 members almost made of three to four families there is no chance for me there but yet I feel when the time comes He will bring the man he want for me wherever He will pick. I don't know how his going to do it all I know is his ways are mysterious to us.

I have realised the biggest challenge Christians singles have to fight and overcome is finding a Godly partner who understand fornication is a sin. This is one reason why most of us are up and down in our faith and holy life.

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
My husband and i met online, but it wasn't through a dating website or app, so the usual may not apply. it went from email to texting to phone calls. we met in person 5 months after initial contact. i think what helped us out a lot was that we communicated as friends. it didn't progress to more until after we met in person. i mean, i already liked him by then lol but i prayed for the Lord to help me keep my feet on the ground and not fall into wishful thinking. after all, we were just friends.

i never tried dating sites or apps but i figured there's a kind of pressure that come with them. maybe not? idk.

up

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
... the Holy Spirit Shall Lead You On The Right Path!

Lighthearted

Oct 17, 2016
Wait, who is getting married?

My good friend got married and had a kid or two. The last time I saw him he said, my life is over. Last time I talked to him he sounded quite defeated and angry. This can't be the norm, this is rare sentiment right?!?! ;)
Even in a long, horrible, and broken marriage, there were still good times, valuable lessons, and many blessings.
It is just extremely important to have the right foundation in place to build upon before two people say 'I do, I will' before God.

Jul 30, 2020
This can be good advice, depending on the church and depending on the person. I'm a 42 year old guy in a church of about 90, so it doesn't work too well for me... I am NOT dating a teenage woman, and that's all that are available here.
The one aspect of the church today is a untap ministries for singles esp . over 40 we are just ignored or abandon in the church today