Christians and the Law of Moses

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Note: The Bible speaks about "the Law of Moses" several times. That does not mean that Moses was the lawgiver. Rather it means that God gave the Law (the Old Covenant) through Moses.

The Law of Moses has caused a lot of confusion among Christians and continues to do so. Some Christians believe that nothing within the Torah is applicable to them. Others go in the opposite direction and imagine that everything is still valid. And that is why it is necessary to understand how the Law of Moses applies (or does not apply) today to those who are under the New Covenant.

WHERE IS IT FOUND?
The Law of Moses is frequently referred to as the Torah, but it is only the last four books of the Torah which actually contain the Law. So we need to know what is written in Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.

HOW IS IT FOUND?
When we study those books we find that God’s commandments are interspersed with the history of the Israelites in the wilderness. So all the laws are not found in one place, neither are they all categorized neatly into their different components.

WHAT ARE THE COMPONENTS OF THE LAW?
There are at least ten broad components to the Law of Moses. They are laws applicable to the:
1. Tabernacle (or temple) and its sacrifices and offerings
2. Levitical priesthood
3. Levites
4. Feasts (including harvests, tithes, feasts, festivals and holy days)
5. Covenants with Israel
6. Civil and military laws (including laws applicable to physical appearance, purification, Nazarites, marriage, inheritance, vows, numbering, battles, sieges, and spoils of war, kings, division of land, etc.)
7. Criminal laws or laws of justice (including usury) which frequently had the death penalty
8. Health and disease laws
9. Dietary laws, and
10. Moral and Spiritual laws (including the Ten Commandments)

THE TEN COMMANDMENT ARE ETERNAL
The Ten Commandments are based upon the absolute holiness and righteousness of God – the character of God. Since God does not change, those laws are eternal. While they were written on tablets of stone in the Old Covenant, they are written on hearts and minds by the Holy Spirit within the New Covenant. And they are summed up in the Law of Christ, which is the Law of Love. So Christians are not lawless and devoid of the commandments of God. Indeed the Law of Love is even more stringent than the Law of Moses.

WHICH LAWS ARE NULL AND VOID
According to the epistle to the Hebrews, the laws pertaining to the tabernacle or temple, the Levitical priesthood, the Levities, the offerings and sacrifices, the feasts, festivals and holy days, as well as ceremonial observances, are all null and void. Other laws pertaining to Israel as a nation cannot be applied since the temple has been destroyed. So the only laws which are meaningful are the moral and spiritual laws.

WHICH LAWS ARE STILL VALID
According to Acts 15:28,29, the Holy Spirit has applied only four laws to the Church, and they primarily forbid the consumption of blood or meats sacrificed to idols. Fornication is also forbidden: For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; That ye [1] abstain from meats offered to idols, and [2] from blood, and [3] fromthings strangled, and [4] from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Note: The Bible speaks about "the Law of Moses" several times. That does not mean that Moses was the lawgiver. Rather it means that God gave the Law (the Old Covenant) through Moses.

The Law of Moses has caused a lot of confusion among Christians and continues to do so. Some Christians believe that nothing within the Torah is applicable to them. Others go in the opposite direction and imagine that everything is still valid. And that is why it is necessary to understand how the Law of Moses applies (or does not apply) today to those who are under the New Covenant.

WHERE IS IT FOUND?
The Law of Moses is frequently referred to as the Torah, but it is only the last four books of the Torah which actually contain the Law. So we need to know what is written in Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.

HOW IS IT FOUND?
When we study those books we find that God’s commandments are interspersed with the history of the Israelites in the wilderness. So all the laws are not found in one place, neither are they all categorized neatly into their different components.

There are at least ten broad components to the Law of Moses. They are laws applicable to the:
2. Levitical priesthood
3. Levites
5. Covenants with Israel
6. Civil and military laws (including laws applicable to physical appearance, purification, Nazarites, marriage, inheritance, vows, numbering, battles, sieges, and spoils of war, kings, division of land, etc.)
7. Criminal laws or laws of justice (including usury) which frequently had the death penalty
9. Dietary laws, and

The Ten Commandments are based upon the absolute holiness and righteousness of God – the character of God. Since God does not change, those laws are eternal. While they were written on tablets of stone in the Old Covenant, they are written on hearts and minds by the Holy Spirit within the New Covenant. And they are summed up in the Law of Christ, which is the Law of Love. So Christians are not lawless and devoid of the commandments of God. Indeed the Law of Love is even more stringent than the Law of Moses.

According to the epistle to the Hebrews, the laws pertaining to the tabernacle or temple, the Levitical priesthood, the Levities, the offerings and sacrifices, the feasts, festivals and holy days, as well as ceremonial observances, are all null and void. Other laws pertaining to Israel as a nation cannot be applied since the temple has been destroyed. So the only laws which are meaningful are the moral and spiritual laws.

According to Acts 15:28,29, the Holy Spirit has applied only four laws to the Church, and they primarily forbid the consumption of blood or meats sacrificed to idols. Fornication is also forbidden: For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; That ye [1] abstain from meats offered to idols, and [2] from blood, and [3] fromthings strangled, and [4] from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.
Thanks for posting this. I know we disagree vigorously on several issues, but we do agree on this matter. The only thing I would add is Romans 13:8-10

8 Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law. 9 For this, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and if there is any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 10 Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
I agree with the OP mostly, but here's the catch. This gives the opening to people who would still be the law's advocates. Rather, we are commanded to become dead to the law, to die with Christ, not to become dead to some parts of the law and keep living to some other parts. Which doesn't mean lawlessness. We have Holy Spirit to guide us. But if we go by laws of any kind we cannot ever be justified so I'd just beware of law period.

The law is like having a laundry list of things that must be done. That no one can realistically complete no matter how hard they try, but being told to complete it or they will be disowned by Father. Instead, our Father, knowing that we can never complete the list, decides to graciously send us, to go out and spend our day doing any of His works that He likes. Then He accepts us as sons based on us our heart, for wanting to please Him. The former is bondmen. The latter is sons.

If I keep the law but offend in one point, I am guilty of all the law. But if I am dead to the law, I am dead to all the law and subject to the Spirit.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Rather, we are commanded to become dead to the law, to die with Christ, not to become dead to some parts of the law and keep living to some other parts.
We need to understand the context of being dead to the Law.

GALATIANS 2: NO MAN IS JUSTIFIED BY THE WORKS OF THE LAW
15 We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles,
16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid.
18 For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.
19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.

The problem which Paul was addressing in the Galatian churches was that the Judaizers had entered into these churches, teaching believers that they could only be saved by faith in Christ + TORAH OBSERVANCE. That they must also be justified by "the works of the Law" (and this included the whole Law of Moses -- 613 commandments). But Paul made it perfectly clear that no man could be justified by the works (or deeds) of the Law, and that justification (salvation) was purely BY GRACE THROUGH FAITH IN CHRIST.

As you will note in Romans 13 Paul was confirming that the Ten Commandments would be fulfilled through the Law of Love, so the Ten Commandments apply within the Law of Christ (which distilled them into the two greatest commandments, and then into the one supreme commandment -- to love one another as Christ has loved us).

JOHN 15: THE SUPREME COMMANDMENT OF CHRIST
10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. 11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full. 12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

But what did Paul mean by "For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.? When a sinner (anyone) is exposed to the Ten Commandments, he/she sees themselves as GUILTY BEFORE GOD, and that there is no possibility of being as perfect as God. And this leads that person to Christ. And when one is justified by grace through faith, one becomes "dead" to the Law. "That I might live unto God" is by the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
HOW IS IT FOUND?
2. Levitical priesthood
3. Levites
5. Covenants with Israel
9. Dietary laws, and
.[/B] [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
We are given history so we can correctly understand scripture. The deep sea scrolls shows us that, they were hidden for 2,000 years and brought to light when time separated us from history. We need to know what the words written in our scripture mean, and to do that we must know what they meant to the men writing down what the Lord told them.

History tells us that the Law of Moses was a huge news item at the time Paul wrote because Jews did not let gentiles in unless they obeyed all Moses told them to do. We think of the Law of Moses as including all you list, Paul didn't.

The tabernacle, priesthood, Levites, all covenants, were a picture of eternal truths. We are to learn from them and see how Christ fulfilled, and what Christ fulfilled. The health and disease laws are given to us today by scientists. Dietary laws have come to us, not by food, but in the form of food we feed our minds and heart. In order to cancel the feasts we have to cancel the OT as coming from the Lord for the OT tells us they are eternal, for all generations.

The idea that the Lord cancelled a covenant because it was old is saying you cannot trust God as eternal truth. He gave a new covenant that replaces and makes useless some of his promises, but God does not cancel what God tells us.

Jun 11, 2020

The Law of Moses has caused a lot of confusion among Christians and continues to do so. ...

I beg to differ - with all respect.

First, let me dispense with Acts 15:28-29. This regulation stems not from the Law of Moses, but the Covenant made with Noah and thus "all flesh" (Gen.9:17). Further, it is clear that 1,500 years of Law and Mosaic culture was not easily overturned, for the Apostles at Jerusalem "contended hotly" with Peter for going to the Gentiles (Act.11:1-3), laying, as their argument, circumcision. Later, we see the Church fully given over to the Law by Acts.21:20. The Church at Jerusalem, led by the 12 who had been personally taught by our Lord Jesus, were loath to leave the Law. Peter admits that Paul's teachings were hard to understand (2nd Pet.3:16). So who was correct in the matter of food offered to idols? James who backed the Law, or Paul who was trained personally by the Lord for 14 years? James says in our verses above that the Gentile Christians were to abstain from food served to idols, but Paul says it only matters if you have a young or weak brother with you (1st Corinthians Chapter 8), otherwise it is allowed.

Returning to your three other points above, I propose that if we were to see why the Law was given, we could discern whether any of the 620 odd Laws remain valid for the Christian. And the very first thing I would like to point out is that the Covenant of Law was made ONLY with Israel (Ex.34:27; Deut.21:9, etc.). If a man makes a CONTRACT to buy a car, the contract is between him and the present owner of the car. A third party cannot join the contract. The Law does not recognize this.

The Law was given to Israel because God had chosen them from among all Nations to DWELL WITH THEM. The Law established FOUR things:
  1. It gave God His position among Israel
  2. It presented Israel with God's righteousness for them and to be a testimony to the nations around them
  3. It made the Israelite ritually clean to serve in the proximity of a holy God
  4. It gave the Land its due. The Israelite was not to pollute the land, nor to abuse it
The Covenant of Law set forth God's side of the matter. He promised to bless Israel and protect them from their many enemies if they kept the Law, and to chastise them if they broke it - the ultimate chastisement being to be vomited out of the Land in dispersion. Israel's side was to keep the Law in detail, or be removed from their Land into other lands.

At once, the student of the Bible can see that the Law has no value for the Christian. Why?
  1. The Church is not Israel. They are not included in the Covenant of Sinai
  2. The Christian does not have God dwelling WITH him. God dwells IN him.
  3. The righteousness required for this is too high for Law to establish, so God imputes His righteousness to the Christian
  4. The fallen flesh cannot be ritually clean - ever. So God counts it as having been crucified with Christ (Rom.6:1-8; Gal.2:20)
  5. The Christian is not of this world, so he can claim no protection for his possessions
  6. The Christian is blessed with spiritual blessings The Law only brings temporal blessing
  7. The Christian is to forsake all, so he is a pilgrim on earth and has no say about the condition of the Land. The Gentiles rule it.
But what of the MORALITY of the Law? Surely, as some claim, God's MORALS are still Law to a Christian? Murder, adultery, idolatry, etc., are surely not allowed! YES! BUT .... the morality of God is not transmitted by the Law written on stone tables. The Christian has the Holy Spirit dwelling IN him and giving orders FROM HIS HUMAN SPIRIT (Rom.8:1-14). The Law of Moses appeals to the flesh and Romans Chapter 7 establishes the flesh as mortal enemy of God and His Law. Paul establishes a LAW of SIN AND DEATH as DWELLING in the flesh. The man who tries to keep the Law will FAIL EVERY TIME. Galatians 5:17 confirms this; "For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would." And it is ONLY by the "Law of Life IN Christ Jesus" that OVERCOMES this "Law of Sin and Death". The efforts of the flesh just compound the error and multiply the sins. A bad tree always brings forth bad fruit.

Should we murder? NO! But NOT by the Law of Moses! By the "LAW OF LIFE IN CHRIST JESUS"! Does the LIFE of Jesus allow murder? NO. But the matter goes further. Is it MORAL for a Christian to watch TV? The Law of Moses does not say! Who then shall say? Why, the Holy Spirit IN YOU. How long shall a female Christian wear her hair? Moses does not say. But the Holy Spirit dwelling in her will. Can a Christian drive a Mercedes Benz. Why, AS THE SPIRIT in your human spirit allows! One man is instructed by the Holy Spirit to sell all and be a missionary. Another Christian is allowed to be a millionaire so that he can help widows and fatherless in the Church. How much money must the millionaire Christian give? Ask the Holy Spirit! "For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God" (Romans 8:14).

The Law has no value to the Christian. But in the attempt to keep the Law is a huge folly. Why? Because the Christian who seeks to establish righteousness by the Law is saying (i) that the righteousness established by Christ is not good enough, and (ii) God's approval of Christ's work is worth nothing. And it is here that the most damage is done. This is why, of all books in the New Testament, the language in Galatians is so harsh. Paul, who represents a GOSPEL of saving men, wishes men dead! (Gal.5:12). Why? Because it is such a slight on Jesus and Jehovah His Father. It is one thing to fornicate. But it is a whole other world when you say that the work of Jesus was not good enough. The father has approved it. Who is the man so foolish as to tell God that He has made a mistake concerning His beloved Son's PERFECT WORK?

Lastly, what of the statement by our Lord Jesus in Matthew 5:17-18 that the Law is not done away with? YES! BUT ONLY FOR THOSE UNDER LAW!!! Let us take the Pharisees. Are they seed of Abraham? Our Lord Himself says YES. Are they Israelites? YES. Did they get the Law? YES. Have they a CONTRACT (Covenant) with God concerning this Law? YES. And seeing as they REJECTED Jesus, are they released from this CONTRACT? NO! Our Lord Jesus OFFERS them atonement, rebirth, eternal life and membership in the New Man where there is NO LAW (Eph.2:13-15). BUT THEY REFUSED this offer. Does the Covenant become null and void because it is broken? NEVER. That is when the PENALTIES are applied! And every Christian who lived from 70 AD onward, can testify that the penalties of Leviticus 26 and Deuteronomy 28 have been FULLY APPLIED to this day! What was the diaspora? What were the pogroms? What was the holocaust? Why are more than half of all living Jews today not living in Israel? They are the penalties of the Contract!

• The Jew is under Law and will one day get a New and better Covenant OF LAW (Jer.31.31-33). Till then he is a Law-breaker.
  • The Christian is a member of the New Man and the Law is abolished IN ITS ENTIRETY for him (Eph.2:13-15). He is subject to the LAW OF LIFE in Christ Jesus - for EVERYTHING
  • Any Christian trying to establish service or righteousness by any Law of Moses INSULTS Christ and His Father

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I beg to differ - with all respect.
Obvious you are rather confused. The Holy Spirit, the apostles, and the elders in Jerusalem did NOT refer to the Noahic Covenant since they were addressing the issue of the Law of Moses: But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the Law of Moses. And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter. (Acts 15:5,6)
Returning to your three other points above, I propose that if we were to see why the Law was given, we could discern whether any of the 620 odd Laws remain valid for the Christian.
Once again, you are trying to prove a point which is not relevant. Stick with what is actually in the book of Acts: Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God: But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood. For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day. (Acts 15:19-21)

So essentially you are trying to dispute with the Holy Spirit as well as the apostles and elders. No wonder there is so much confusion about the Law of Moses.

Jun 11, 2020
Obvious you are rather confused. The Holy Spirit, the apostles, and the elders in Jerusalem did NOT refer to the Noahic Covenant since they were addressing the issue of the Law of Moses: But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the Law of Moses. And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter. (Acts 15:5,6)

Once again, you are trying to prove a point which is not relevant. Stick with what is actually in the book of Acts: Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God: But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood. For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day. (Acts 15:19-21)

So essentially you are trying to dispute with the Holy Spirit as well as the apostles and elders. No wonder there is so much confusion about the Law of Moses.
"A sect of the Pharisees WHICH BELIEVED ... ." That makes them Church members. Thus, my statement stands. Here you have ex-Jews, (for ethnicity might count for your passport, but it counts not a wit in the New Man) who are now BELIEVERS, teaching circumcision. Or, do you also teach circumcision?

I do not dispute with the Holy Spirit. I point out that the Church in Jerusalem made some mistakes. Or do you agree with the APOSTLES (Act.11:1) that Peter should NOT have gone to the "uncircumcision" in Acts 10?

If these two points are settled, then my posting stands.

L

lenna

The idea that the Lord cancelled a covenant because it was old is saying you cannot trust God as eternal truth. He gave a new covenant that replaces and makes useless some of his promises, but God does not cancel what God tells us.

Jesus fulfilled the law. All of it.

The OT is the foundation of the Bible, but the NT is the fine edifice built upon it.

you are digging at the basement and damaging the building, or actually just confusing things

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Jesus fulfilled the law. All of it.

The OT is the foundation of the Bible, but the NT is the fine edifice built upon it.

you are digging at the basement and damaging the building, or actually just confusing things
I think you are distorting God's word by misinterpreting the word fulfill.

God promised blood he gave on the altar for atonement and later salvation from our sin, and Jesus fulfilled that promise. By saying fulfill, it does not say cancelled, but now is in full force the opposite of cancelled.

The OT is more than the first chapters of a book of life, it gives an explanation of all Christ did. By snubbing your nose on that, it is not ignoring what is in the basement, it is ignoring Christ and the explanation of what He fulfilled.

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011
At the end when the feast and final offerings were made they picked up their tents and went home. Jesus is the final sacrifice, pick up your tents and come home.

Mar 28, 2016

WHERE IS IT FOUND?

HOW IS IT FOUND?

2. Levitical priesthood
3. Levites
5. Covenants with Israel
9. Dietary laws, and

The law of Moses signifies the whole law as it is written. The whole bible as the book of the law. Not a book of the philosophies of men . It has no equal .But the (scripture) letter death . Its where the law of faith the unseen comes in and comes alongside making it one new perfect law. The just (father) and justifier (the Son Jesus ) working as one Spirit .

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
At the end when the feast and final offerings were made they picked up their tents and went home. Jesus is the final sacrifice, pick up your tents and come home.
The Lord's instructions about the feasts are not pick up your tent and come home, and the new covenant cancels the idea of following Jewish customs. The instructions are to do this for all your generations.

L

lenna

I think you are distorting God's word by misinterpreting the word fulfill.

God promised blood he gave on the altar for atonement and later salvation from our sin, and Jesus fulfilled that promise. By saying fulfill, it does not say cancelled, but now is in full force the opposite of cancelled.

The OT is more than the first chapters of a book of life, it gives an explanation of all Christ did. By snubbing your nose on that, it is not ignoring what is in the basement, it is ignoring Christ and the explanation of what He fulfilled.

first you misquote me but then since you do it to the Bible, who am I?

I said the OT is the foundation upon which the edifice is built. If you were not so busy plugging your Sabbath day theme, you might have understood that.

I also never used the word cancelled. I used the word fulfilled.

It seems it is another foggy day in Sabbathville where visibility is really bad.

I won't visit again. The town seems stuck in a time warp anyway.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Colossians 3:9
Do not lie to one another, since you have put off the old man with his deeds

Why doesn't this say "do not lie, because the 10 commandments forbid it?"

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011
The Lord's instructions about the feasts are not pick up your tent and come home, and the new covenant cancels the idea of following Jewish customs. The instructions are to do this for all your generations.
Is there a difference between the covenant God made with Noah and his children and the one God made with the Hebrews through Moses?

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
It is not and cannot be the 10 commandments that are written on the hearts and minds of believers.

If this were so then every Christian would be a 7th day adventist. They would HAVE to rest on Saturdays because that is in the 10 commandments and SUPPOSEDLY (not true) written on hearts and minds.

2 Corinthians 3:7-8
7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:

8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?

You are advocating that the Ministration of Death is written on hearts and minds @Nehemiah6. How can their be no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus if the Ministration of Death and Condemnation is written on hearts and minds? Its not possible.

But if something MORE GLORIOUS than the 10 commandments is written on our hearts and minds then we can show that scripture DOES reconcile and make sense. If it is the Spirit that is written on our hearts and minds then we can have the FULFILLMENT of the 10 commandments while at the same time being dead to those laws.

How?

Galatians 5:22-23
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Why is there no law against these things? Because they are the FULFILLMENT of the law. Or they are what leads to the fulfillment of the law. They are HOW we are the Workmanship of God.

Galatians 2:19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.

Mar 28, 2016
Is there a difference between the covenant God made with Noah and his children and the one God made with the Hebrews through Moses?
No difference. In all generation God works out his faith as a labor of His love. . purifying the new born again hearts of al men . He is not served by the corrupted hands of sinful men . The flesh is powerless . One dispensation the work of Christ

Acts 15:8-10 King James Version (KJV) And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us; And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith

One of the major difficulties it would seem is some divide the law from the law. The whole Bible is the book of the law The book of prophecy. God declaring His loving law to those who mix faith (the law of faith) the unseen eternal in what they hear or see .The two ingates to the born again soul . There are no private interpretations of men as opinions or heresy of man in the book of law the Bible .

The law of faith as a witness is made is made known by the prophets in whom the Spirit of faith worked with them .empowering then to do the will. as it is written . The witnesses of the written law the letter (death). It must be sought out . Together the law that kills and the law that justifies as one perfect or complete working as one. They make up the perfect law again according to the two witness.

Moses representing the letter that kills and the prophets moved by the law as Elias as one coming in the unseen power of God.

No power to give life comes from the letter as that seen, scripture. It as it is written will not enter the new order in our new incorruptible bodies, but will along with the sufferings of hell it brought will on the last day be cast into the judgment of God .Never to rise and condemn through corruption a entire creation.

The former things like the law will not come to mind or remembrance forever more. Now is the time we can seek while we have the the scriptures. The law of God.

Ecclesiastes 1:11 There is no remembrance of former things; neither shall there be any remembrance of things that are to come with those that shall come after.

Now is the time we can memorize as God bring the former things he has taught us to our minds .Things that comfort and teach .