Christians & Muslims Brothers?: Pope Francis Calls Muslims Our Brothers

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

1still_waters

Pope Francis, the very head of "the true church" just said Muslims are brothers to Christians.
Why is the supposed head of the true Christian church calling followers of a false God brothers? Why is he giving this type of partnership and fellowship language to them?

Pope Francis declares a deep bond of fellowship when he declares a group of people brothers. He establishes a yoking with them. Once again we see where he is taking "the true church".

2 Cor 6
13 Now for a recompence in the same, (I speak as unto my children,) be ye also enlarged.14Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

Following in the footsteps of my predecessors, and in particular the historic visit of Pope Paul VI fifty years ago, the first visit of a Pope to the Holy Land, I have greatly desired to come as a pilgrim to the places which witnessed the earthly presence of Jesus Christ. But my pilgrimage would not be complete if it did not also include a meeting with the people and the communities who live in this Land. I am particularly happy, therefore, to be with you, dear Muslim faithful, brothers.

Pope Francis to Muslims: we must confront common challenges

May 9, 2012
Ohhhhh a Chrislam pope eh? I wonder if he believes we worship the same Deity.

Dec 18, 2013
Muslims are just people, therefore yes, they are our brothers. It is not muslims that we are against, but the Islam which equally oppresses them just as much, if not moreso, than other peoples.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Muslims are just people, therefore yes, they are our brothers. It is not muslims that we are against, but the Islam which equally oppresses them just as much, if not moreso, than other peoples.
Well, what comprises Islam if not Muslims?

1still_waters

You need to look at the context this was in.
This was within the context of uniting and fellowshipping within faith.

2 John seems pretty clear on developing fellowship and relationships within a faith/religious framework. There were people going around seeking some sort of religious fellowship with the Christians in an official religious context. The Bible says to avoid those types of official religious/faith associations and fellowships.

7 For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh. Such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist.8 Watch yourselves, so that you may not lose what we[a] have worked for, but may win a full reward.9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting,11 for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works.
The Muslims do not have the teaching of Christ. When they come to fellowship with us in a context that is trying to establish some type of religious association, the text above indicates we're to have nothing to do with that. We take part in their wickedness when we try to establish s an official religious fellowship/unity with them.

This doesn't mean individual Christians can't eat a meal with a Muslim/atheist/etc. It does mean a church or Christian institution shouldn't seek to form official religious associations with them. They shouldn't officially be brought into the fellowship and officially associated with, until they repent and believe the Gospel.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2012
You need to look at the context this was in.
This was within the context of uniting and fellowshipping within faith.

2 John seems pretty clear on developing fellowship and relationships within a faith/religious framework. There were people going around seeking some sort of religious fellowship with the Christians in an official religious context. The Bible says to avoid those types of official religious/faith associations and fellowships.

The Muslims do not have the teaching of Christ. When they come to fellowship with us in a context that is trying to establish some type of religious association, the text above indicates we're to have nothing to do with that. We take part in their wickedness when we try to establish s an official religious fellowship/unity with them.

This doesn't mean individual Christians can't eat a meal with a Muslim/atheist/etc. It does mean a church or Christian institution shouldn't seek to form official religious associations with them. They shouldn't officially be brought into the fellowship and officially associated with, until they repent and believe the Gospel.
So...how is this not seeking "form official religious associations"?

1still_waters

As leader of the "true church" he's partnering in an official association with people who do not abide in the teachings of Christ. This places him far outside the bounds of 2 John.

7 For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh. Such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist.8Watch yourselves, so that you may not lose what we[a] have worked for, but may win a full reward.9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting,11 for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works.

Nov 30, 2012
Ok then. We'll just return to the Crusades then. That literally is the only other option. With Islam it's war or peace. You don't like peace? War it'll have to be.

1still_waters

This Pope is clearly theologically confused. His official partnership with a religion that denies Christ shouldn't shock me. He's concelebrating mass with homosexual activists and kissing them in public. (Link) He's seeking unity with Word of Faith mega-rich pastors. (Link) He allows Islamic prayers at the Vatican. (Link) He even thinks Mary has the ability to help and protect us with immediacy! (Link)

This man is theologically blind.

1still_waters

Ok then. We'll just return to the Crusades then. That literally is the only other option. With Islam it's war or peace. You don't like peace? War it'll have to be.
Or you could just preach the gospel without forming official religious partnerships with them. Certainly you don't let them pray to a Satanic deity right in the Vatican!

Mar 1, 2012
You are terribly naive.

A christian leader using the word brothers is using it with purpose or he is terribly ignorant.

The islamic belief is the same in terrorists and ''moderates''. Look at the quran. Its quite clear. Maybe all of them do not like the violence but ALL of them like the agenda.

Mar 1, 2012
Either the islamics are going to kill you....or vote their laws over you......or...

you fight back.

That is it. There is no compromise. None. They will either rule you, kill you or you fight them.

Nothing in between and I mean nothing. If you think there is appeasement here, then live under Sharia Law.

Not me. As for me and my house.....you know the rest.

1still_waters

"Brother" "sister" is a word that defines unity in Christ within the Christian context. Within the Christian context it draws a distinction between who is in Christ and who is not. Muslims like all humans are created in the image of God, and should be treated as such. But that doesn't mean we give them words that distinctly belong to the fellowship of believers. Especially when it's spoken from someone who claims to be representing all of Christianity.

Nov 30, 2012
"Brother" "sister" is a word that defines unity in Christ within the Christian context. Within the Christian context it draws a distinction between who is in Christ and who is not. Muslims like all humans are created in the image of God, and should be treated as such. But that doesn't mean we give them words that distinctly belong to the fellowship of believers. Especially when it's spoken from someone who claims to be representing all of Christianity.
And phrases such as the "brotherhood of man"?

1still_waters

And phrases such as the "brotherhood of man"?
Much different than a leader of a church such as the pope using a very exclusive Christian term within a religious context, especially spoken to a crowd of people who believe in a false god.

Nov 30, 2012
Much different than a leader of a church such as the pope using a very exclusive Christian term within a religious context, especially spoken to a crowd of people who believe in a false god.
I didn't realize that the Abrahamic God was false. They have a false understanding, not a false god. Remember, even Satan will use a bit of truth to wrap around a lie, it helps it go down better.

Dec 18, 2013
Well, what comprises Islam if not Muslims?
Islam means submission. Muslims are the people under that submission. Every man is our brothers. Yes many evils in this world such as Islam, but we gotta try to save some of our brothers. Jesus wants us to love our neighbor so we have to help them.

What comprises that submission called Islam, is a ball of confusion told as legend tells it to Mohammad ibn Abdallah by a mysterious being that seemingly destroyed Mohammad's life quite sadly in my opinion.

Last edited:

1still_waters

I didn't realize that the Abrahamic God was false. They have a false understanding, not a false god. Remember, even Satan will use a bit of truth to wrap around a lie, it helps it go down better.
Wait what? You're saying Muslims worship the true real God?

Nov 30, 2012
Wait what? You're saying Muslims worship the true real God?
Do they worship Him appropriately? No. Do they worship Him in the fullness of truth? No. Are they saved by their faith? No.

Do they worship the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob? Yes. Do the Jews? Yes. Are they both anathema and apostates? Yes.