There's a difference between living by faith and taking unnecessary risks. Like say I'm camping and pray to not be attacked by a bear, I trust God will keep me safe. But if I purposely set up my tent right outside a bear cave, I've put God to the test. In Matthew chapter four satan tempts Jesus to jump from a high distance, he even quotes scripture about how God will have His angels protect Him. But Jesus says it is also written not to put the Lord your God to the test. What is tempting about it? It would be fun to jump, but that fun would be very short-lived. It would make those who witness you survive such a stunt think you're awesome. Is that not the attitude of skydivers- to enjoy the ride and the praise?
Should we avoid taking any risks at all? No, but we shouldn't take unnecessary risks just for the thrill of it. In Jesus' day people rode horses, yet even in today's world the man who played superman eventually died from a horse accident. Whether a horse or horse power (car), it's not wrong to use things that are necessary, but it is wrong to use things that are not necessary at the risk of your own life or someone else's. Russian roulette, where they put one bullett in a gun, spin it, and take turns putting it to their head and pulling the trigger, just for thrill, is the worst unnecessary risk I've ever seen. And I do not believe that pleases God. But taking a risk to ride people to church in a car, despite car accident statistics, is living by faith, and without faith it is impossible to please God. But riding with someone who is an extremely bad driver I think is putting God to the test.